Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reason for no carbonation

Options
  • 21-01-2013 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

I'm relatively new to home brewing. I've made 3 batches. The first two came out great but the third one didn't carbonate at all and I'm just wondering what might have caused this in order to prevent it happening again.

It was a St Peters' IPA. Started off well in the fermenter. Lots of foam at the start and then died back. Due to one thing or another it was in the fermenter for 5 weeks.
    Just before Christmas I bottled it and used two carbonation drops per bottle.
    I've opened 3 bottles since, the last was on Saturday and neither of them had carbonated.

After I bottled it, we went back home to Mayo for Christmas and the temperature in the house would have dropped due to us not being in the house. Do you think this would have caused the problem or was it too long in the fermenter before bottling? Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It won't have anything to do with the initial fermentation -- the problem is with your bottles. Low temperature is definitely one possibility; the seal of your caps is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadman1972

Newbie here as well. Going by what you have described i would agree with beernut and say that more than likely your bottles were not sealed properly and the CO2 escaped rather than going into the beer? Only way to know for certain is to drink half of them immediately and see how many are flat:D

Advertisement