Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

scooter losing power

• 21-01-2013 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭

hi all,

i've had to take the scooter (2 stroke) in to work the last few days, but the scooter is playing up. It starts fine, but then after 10 minutes, any time i stop at lights, it won't rev up again but stays at idle. It doesn't cut off, but takes a minute of playing on the throttle before it revs up again and gets going (splutters a little also). As soon as i release the throttle, same issue.

I'm guessing this is down to the cold, but is there anything i can do to stop this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

hi all,

i've had to take the scooter (2 stroke) in to work the last few days, but the scooter is playing up. It starts fine, but then after 10 minutes, any time i stop at lights, it won't rev up again but stays at idle. It doesn't cut off, but takes a minute of playing on the throttle before it revs up again and gets going (splutters a little also). As soon as i release the throttle, same issue.

I'm guessing this is down to the cold, but is there anything i can do to stop this?
    Sounds like a a fuel issue, probably water or dirt in the carb, have you tried emptying the float bowl out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Sounds like a a fuel issue, probably water or dirt in the carb, have you tried emptying the float bowl out?

haven't done anything yet as it happened for the first time on friday. will check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Was it wet out at the time this happened?

Check the spark plug and lead had similar problem years ago and that was the problem where the water was getting in/damaged lead.

Was it wet out at the time this happened?

Check the spark plug and lead had similar problem years ago and that was the problem where the water was getting in/damaged lead.

absolutely soaking wet on friday and today. i'll check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Were you driving along and then loss of power and chugging motion then I would nearly be 100% that's the problem.

Be best to change the complete lead and plug while your at it.

It is a design fault while your driving the water is constantly hitting that area.

• Advertisement

Were you driving along and then loss of power and chugging motion then I would nearly be 100% that's the problem.

Be best to change the complete lead and plug while your at it.

It is a design fault while your driving the water is constantly hitting that area.

think this is spot on. got home this evening. no rain and no issue. cheers. now to hope for no rain in and out of work until i can get it sorted!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,408 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If it happens on cold damp (not raining) mornings then it could be carb icing. HT lead or plug problem would tend to be when it's raining or has been raining. The bike will start fine but will run worse and worse after a few minutes if ice is building up.

2-strokes tend to be bad for carb icing as the carb isn't right next to the hottest part of the engine, like on a 4-stroke.

Only real cure for this on my first bike was to let the engine warm up for a few minutes before riding off on cold damp mornings.

If you leave the bike running with an iced up carb you're still drawing in cold air (and evaporating petrol, which cools the carb body down) so the ice doesn't melt. Stop the engine for a few minutes and the bit of engine heat will melt the ice.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement