Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Too many threads about emigration, how about immigration?

• 21-01-2013 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭

Anyone planning on moving here?

And To the immigrants who moved here in last 20 or so years, hows life going for you? Are you planning on staying, or are you thinking about moving back or moving on to somewhere else? And based on on your experience, any advice to those who are considering emigration?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

positron wrote: »

I was planing to move to Drogheda but the broadband connection is too poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Moved here 5 or 6 years ago, now looking to move back to England in the summer.

The country is just too damned expensive, and outside Dublin there's not enough to do. You can only look at the scenery so many times and say "ahh it's lovely"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

summerskin wrote: »

The country is just too damned expensive, and outside Dublin there's not enough to do. You can only look at the scenery so many times and say "ahh it's lovely"...

Alright so. See ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

You can only look at the scenery so many times and say "ahh it's lovely"...

Most of which is ruined by poxy one-off houses.

Anyway, back on topic. Immigration? Fit birds welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I was planing to move to Drogheda but the broadband connection is too poor.

Funny you should mention Drogheda actually-

http://droghedalife.com/viewarticle.aspx?smid=791&aid=7659

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Moved here 12 years ago. Life's never been better. No plans on going anywhere anytime soon, yer all stuck with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭positron

From my own perspective, I moved here 13 years ago and I don't have any plans to move anywhere else for the time being. However it would be nice to have the option to move if I wanted to, but I am denied that luxury with poxy negative equity etc.

Ireland is not a bad place to live. Sure, we have our share of problems, but honestly, there are plenty, I mean really really a lot - of worse places to live.

Speaking from experience, emigration isn't necessarily a bad thing. World is a much smaller place these days with all sorts of communication facilities we have, and even Australia is only a day away, not three months. Go out and live and work where ever you want to, you and everyone else will be fine. That's my personal view on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Since I'm moved to Ireland I've achieved all my goals:
    • Took all the jobs.
    • Took yer wimmens.
    • Magically sent every penny of my earnings home without paying rent, buying food or anything.
    • Diluted your culture and way of life.

Job done.

Sincerely,

Imaginary Immigrant that Idiots Think Exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

i feel sorry for immigrants in ireland. There is so much festering animosity from cretins just jumping at the chance to moan about 'polish' or 'blacks'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭pcardin

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    • Took all the jobs.
    • Took yer wimmens.
    • Magically sent every penny of my earnings home without paying rent, buying food or anything.

Job done.

Sincerely,

you forgot the swans :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

I need / want to leave but can't, I have a decent job and a decent house but I'm stuck with mortgage / negative equity... Moving rural was possibly the biggest mistake I've ever made.

Leftist wrote: »
    i feel sorry for immigrants in ireland. There is so much festering animosity from cretins just jumping at the chance to moan about 'polish' or 'blacks'.

I f*cking hate the Black Polish.

Got some of it on my good trousers while trying to shine my shoes before Mass on Sunday. Can I get it off? Can I f*ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I moved back here from the States 2 years ago. #1 thing preventing me from staying for good is the fcuking weather.

....Looks out window....sighs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

For what it's worth, I enjoyed some of your posts.
    Good luck to you, and keep posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I moved back here from the States 2 years ago. #1 thing preventing me from staying for good is the fcuking weather.

....Looks out window....sighs...

....there's no cruisin round in your open top low rider here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Most of which is ruined by poxy one-off houses.

Anyway, back on topic. Immigration? Fit birds welcome.

+1 milion. Houses which will make the country even poorer as they expect the cost of their septic tank remediation work to be paid by the taxpayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

From a job perspective and having a life - then for me it be migration for me I suppose to another part of the country - city or what ever with or without a job lined up is a possibility for me in the future but financially I don't know is it achievable and other things I don't know will it make much of a difference it be the same story if if left home I be doing the same as I am now so why bother moving without a plan or something to move for - job/study.

In terms of emigration I am more likely to do it short term rather than long term in terms of employment getting out in the world, I like travelling but from a holiday perspective. I'd get home sick after a while like I'd miss Ireland.
    The UK is probably the only place I go longer term. Short term - Canada, Europe or further afield but I'm afraid to take that jump and be left with not much other than something to look forward to in the future and make a life but why do I need to go abroad if I can make a life here but sometimes wonder if I can in this part of the country I am in, there is dire unemployment and not many jobs for graduates say compared to the cities.

Even at that jobs for grads are in low supply unless you have the credentials and experience to go about it - its like they want you to be an expert and trained no just have a qualification before you even work in an entry level job.
    They are whittling down the number that go through as well and with the influx of the jobbridges is killing jobs growth here for experienced people but with the exception for grads but what are they gaining really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I moved here 10 years ago, and still like it.
    Sure, some things still seem odd to me and probably always will, but what's life without a little surrealism?

I've got a job I like which pays me enough to live reasonably well, I married an Englishman (sorry lads, I gave you all plenty of chances), and we bought a house some 3 years ago.

Life's good, people are friendly, relaxed and happy (compared to Germany), I'm not planning on going anywhere.

The thing is if you are good at foreign languages and have one you be a lot more successful in landing a job in IT/Sales/Business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I f*cking hate the Black Polish.

Got some of it on my good trousers while trying to shine my shoes before Mass on Sunday. Can I get it off? Can I f*ck.

I don't get this phrase, you can't get the polish off so does that mean you can't fuck??? :confused:

• Advertisement

I don't get this phrase, you can't get the polish off so does that mean you can't fuck??? :confused:

Well if one's pantaloons aren't clean and free of polish then none of the ladies of the opposite gender will be interested in making the beast with two backs I dare wager so therefore the removal of the black polish from Ireland (and from my pantaloons in particular) is a necessary step forward in one's never ending quest of the 'f*ck'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

positron wrote: »

And To the immigrants who moved here in last 20 or so years, hows life going for you? Are you planning on staying, or are you thinking about moving back or moving on to somewhere else? And based on on your experience, any advice to those who are considering emigration?

I am Lithuanian immigrant, I call Ireland my home for the last 8 years. I still love it, would not change living here for anything.

Ireland is a great place to live even in these hard economical times. All the moaners who just bitch how crap Ireland is, should go live in Lithuania for few months. They will come back and kiss Irish mud and will really understand what they got here.

Yes, you don't get 1k eu per week, just because you are pretty or know paddy from the pub. You still can make a great living here if you are willing to work and not to be a complete idiot with money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

I am Lithuanian immigrant, I call Ireland my home for the last 8 years. I still love it, would not change living here for anything.

Ireland is a great place to love even in these hard economical times. All the moaners who just bitch how crap Ireland is, should go live in Lithuania for few months. They will come back and kiss Irish mud and will really understand what they got here.

Yes, you don't get 1k eu per week, just because you are pretty or know paddy from the pub. You still can make a great living here if you are willing to to work and not to be a complete idiot with money.

This should be read out of loudspeakers all over this country.

People need to visit ALL of Europe and not just 'better off' Europe to see how cushy we have it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

In a weeks time I'll be 10 years in Ireland, love the place and the craic. Have a decent Job. Though like every Johnny foreigner have a few things to moan about Ireland, (not the weather - I don't mind it) especially everything shutting down at 5.30 even the feckin Barber shuts his shop@6. But do plan to go home eventually though my missus likes here.

@doovdela - I don't think it's all doom and gloom, I work in a shipping Industry and it has been on the up for last 2-3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭positron

imtdub wrote: »
    ...everything shutting down at 5.30 even the feckin Barber shuts his shop@6.

This is so true. Every time I hear about doom and gloom by business owners, I can not help but wonder if they have actually really exhausted all their options - being competitive for instance, or try and do something outside the box etc. But perhaps there's some crazy regulation working against them on this...!

imtdub wrote: »
    In a weeks time I'll be 10 years in Ireland, love the place and the craic. Have a decent Job. Though like every Johnny foreigner have a few things to moan about Ireland, (not the weather - I don't mind it) especially everything shutting down at 5.30 even the feckin Barber shuts his shop@6. But do plan to go home eventually though my missus likes here.

@doovdela - I don't think it's all doom and gloom, I work in a shipping Industry and it has been on the up for last 2-3 years.

It feels like that from where I am standing so many shops have closed down near where I live like. The pubs are dying a slow death as well. So have to venture further to just go on a decent night out like. I live in a rural area and miss the city buzz.

Some industries are lucky they aren't badly affected by the recession some are booming but most industries aren't either too much or too little growth/over employment which lead to downsizing or not enough jobs/skills shortages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

• Took all the jobs.
    • Took yer wimmens.

Job done.

Sincerely,

pcardin wrote: »
    you forgot the swans :pac:

My evil plan is working !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

• Took all the jobs.
    • Took yer wimmens.

Job done.

Sincerely,

Pfft, you didn't even screw the social welfare system while working all those jobs.

You have failed sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭MAR86

I moved to Ireland 3 years ago, was really difficult in the beginning, but now I am studying and got my dream job so From my point of view I am lucky and plan to stay here, study some more and get an even better job than the one I have one, which I probably will in 3 years time!! :))

I think of Ireland as my second home ( I pretty much ignore the idiots and negative aspects)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

Shenshen wrote: »
    I moved here 10 years ago, and still like it.
    Sure, some things still seem odd to me

what things seem odd to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Leftist wrote: »

I can't say I've seen too much racism. Most folks have been very friendly. I'm part Japanese, Cherokee, and German myself.

I have been coming here off and on since the late 90's. I have about 4 years in Ireland altogether. While it certainly is expensive, I like it enough I may stay a while longer this time. Being an American, I can not simply move here like Europeans can(or like millions of Irish have done with the US...). It's a lot more complicated for us Mercans. Work permits have become very difficult to acquire both for the economy and the fact they have raised the salary threshold for qualifying. I am going the volunteer visa route this time. But, I think it's worth it. Irish people at their best are lovely folk. And Irish people at their worst aren't nearly so shooty as Americans are when they are at their worst. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Took all the jobs.
    • Took yer wimmens.
    Well since I moved to Galway I took one job and one woman.
    Sure it's one step at the time...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2013/0121/breaking33.html

What about this as mentioned in the Irishtimes today. There must be something wrong, either its down to lack of money, not enough job creation not enough investment and its all borrowed money, not giving people the right skills or companies not bothering to train people up expecting them to take up courses/training else where to fill the void in jobs that are difficult to fill due to skills shortages.

It still costs money to create a job not just hire someone and pay them. So what good are unpaid internships going to help slow job growth. We are not going to magically go out of the recession like we did back in the 90's blame the celtic tiger for the mess we are now in if we stuck with what the mid 90's stayed at say we might be financially stable. Are we better off than we were in early noughties compared to now or is it any different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

MadsL wrote: »
    +1 milion. Houses which will make the country even poorer as they expect the cost of their septic tank remediation work to be paid by the taxpayer.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

moved back to Ireland last year, got a permanent full time job straight away, everything is rosey for me tbh :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,108 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nice to read positive stories

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Immigrants do be needing to learn to speak as we do be, sure that does be the way ;)

Advertisement