Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increase in Ping Rate in the evening

• 21-01-2013 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm wondering if someone has any insights into a problem I am experiencing with my Eircom 8MB NGB broadband line in the evening. It started in January of this year and happens every night.
    From 5pm the ping rate on my line will steadily increase from the usual 35ms up to over 100ms. Then from about 11:30pm it begins to drop back to normal.
    The download speeds are fine at about 7/8mbps and this ping increase doesn't affect the download speeds.

There is nothing on my network that explains this (no device getting switched on in the evening) and I have tested this from the Main Socket with all appliances disconnected.

I have raised the issue with Eircom and the engineers are still looking into it but with no success yet.
    All help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Same problem for past 6 years. I've been with all the providers and no difference. I think its a problem with the exchange, basically it's not going to be fixed any time soon because it would require effort. Ireland has crappy broadband unless you live in a major city.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Wotty

Its possible that your signal may be suffering from interference.

Try adjusting the ariel to different places to see if that affects the ping times. It sounds like someone is switching on something that is causing interference, then when it is switched off the ping rate.

It could be something as simple as a neighbours wireless router being busy at the times mentioned or something as complicated as a pirate radio transmiter operating in range of your location. A simple way to check is to tune the radio through the band before the problem starts and note what stations are comming in. Then when the problem happens, tune again through the radio band and see if any new stations are comming in.

Did you ask eircom to try replacing the ariel? If not, you could perhaps try replacing it with an unfolded paper clip to see if this makes any difference.

Advertisement