Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTF AN POST?

Options
  • 21-01-2013 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

Hey so i brought an tablet PC from the Uk last week and it arrived today. Much to my disappointment it was faulty and have to send it back. However when i tried to get AN post to send it back they flat out refused me saying they cant do this because of the battery on airplanes might explode. The feckin thing came from the UK by plane and was delivered to me by an post? This doesnt make any sense to me? I sent my laptop for repair to holland last year and it has a much bigger battery in it and an post sent it over and back for me ? what the hell is going on like? I was told to get a corrier to do it but the corrier told me its going to cost a fortune to send it. So im stuck with a defective tablet pc. What do you guys think i should do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Wrap it in bubble wrap , box it , put fragile sticker on the box and post it.
    You don't have to declare contents on postage to the UK from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

That's ridiculous, you should walk back in, get this guys name and tell him you're making a complaint about him. Then walk into the another post office and send it.

Also did the tablet pc come from a legitimate store? If so they should (by law) pick it up by courier and replace it for free as it was DOA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

as soon as i said i was posting it to the uk they asked me to fill in a sticker with the contents, the package was small wrapped in bubblewrap and in an envelope, its quite small. would putting it in a bigger box work or is it any different to sending a small envelope?

That's ridiculous, you should walk back in, get this guys name and tell him you're making a complaint about him. Then walk into the another post office and send it.

Also did the tablet pc come from a legitimate store? If so they should (by law) pick it up by courier and replace it for free as it was DOA

It came from amazon and they sent it by royal mail and was delivered by an post so no corriers involved im afraid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

If its amazon just print out the prepaid returns label. No need to speak to anyone anywhere, just post it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

UPDATE: Was unaware it was a third-party seller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

as soon as i said i was posting it to the uk they asked me to fill in a sticker with the contents, the package was small wrapped in bubblewrap and in an envelope, its quite small. would putting it in a bigger box work or is it any different to sending a small envelope?
    That would be a customs declaration.
    No need to fill it out unless your posting to a non-EU country.

If its amazon just print out the prepaid returns label. No need to speak to anyone anywhere, just post it.

is that from amazon themselves or sellers on amazon? i brought it from these guys on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=&isCBA=&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&orderID=&seller=A3OME56G2X6U97

is that label on the front of the package?

That would be a customs declaration.
    No need to fill it out unless your posting to a non-EU country.

are you serious? so was the woman mixed up so? i wanted to send it back to the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Damn, that is unfortunate it is a third party seller. Regardless, if you get in contact with them, they should pay for your postage by whatever means required (if An Post refuse to post it, they should organise a courier for you), although, they likely won't be as fast as Amazon with a resolution.

Other than that, just put it in an outer box and don't tell An Post what is in it (you should still claim back the postage though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

is that from amazon themselves or sellers on amazon? i brought it from these guys on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=&isCBA=&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&orderID=&seller=A3OME56G2X6U97

is that label on the front of the package?

I'm not sure how resellers process returns, i know that with amazon you just print out a prepaid label and affix it to the parcel - its pretty mush hassle-free. You should visit the returns center and start the processs off, that will help you see if you can prepay. An Post shouldn't be giving you any ****e about shipping a tablet to the UK though.

feck it well i might go to another post office and try to send it from there, thanks for all your help guys, ill let ye know how i got on

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭locustfurnace

In my local An Post branch they have a sign up that you can't send ink cartridges, liquids or laptop batteries to anywhere. Been up at least 12months.

In my local An Post branch they have a sign up that you can't send ink cartridges, liquids or laptop batteries to anywhere. Been up at least 12months.

well its news to me?? sent my laptop to get repaired in europe around this time last year and it went over and back fine. The tablet pc CAME OVER in an airplane sent by royal mail how come an post cant send the flippin thing back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Im guessing it was the small white sticker that you filled out. Thats not customs its an Air Safety Delcaration saying your not shipping anything which is 'dangerous'

You could try Parcel2Go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It's nothing to do with customs. It's a safety declaration. You have a few options, explain it to Amazon and see can you sent it without the battery, send it by another company, the third option I'll leave to yourself to figure out.

This is An Post policy for a while now. No point throwing the toys out of the pram like some people suggested.

This bad boy yeah? That's the stupidest policy I've ever heard, I mean how do ink cartridges and batteries get delivered into this country in the first place? And when has a battery or ink cartridge ever caused an accident anyway!?

Whatever you ended up doing remember that any costs you bear should be returned to you because it is their responsibility to make sure the product you receive is not faulty. Did they tell you to send it back?
    If you have to return an item because it is faulty, the seller is liable for any return shipping costs. [1]

This bad boy yeah? That's the stupidest policy I've ever heard, I mean how do ink cartridges and batteries get delivered into this country in the first place? And when has a battery or ink cartridge ever caused an accident anyway!?

Whatever you ended up doing remember that any costs you bear should be returned to you because it is their responsibility to make sure the product you receive is not faulty. Did they tell you to send it back?

Yeah thats the one alright, exactly! how do they think that products with batterys get in the country in the first place!. Thats why i was surrpirised and pissed off an post in the first place. I would have tried to send the seller back the cost of sending it back but, ive been sending emails over and back with the seller and asked him for a refund
    No problem Badger -we have not had any returned before now and sold almost
    800 - its a real shame that you should get a, very rare, faulty one - thats
    a better return rate than, even, the ipad enjoys
    now if you look at the latest one star review on the the products page,
    Please be aware that if you buy anything from this seller and it is faulty, they will do whatever they can to get out of replacing/refunding.
    My device worked for all of 4/5 hrs and then stopped completely and they are making things up to try to void warranty, not replying to emails.
    Very poor after care.
    BE WARNED
    its seems hes lying out his backside as there is a review as late as the 18th of janurary saying they wont return faulty goods. I dont really want to rock the boat just yet, so ill sit and wait and see what happens

Happens quite a lot. http://gigaom.com/2011/04/04/lithium-ion-batteries-faulted-for-jet-crash/ even the B787 grounding is due to the batterys which are the same type as used in Laptops and Mobiles.

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Happens quite a lot. http://gigaom.com/2011/04/04/lithium-ion-batteries-faulted-for-jet-crash/ even the B787 grounding is due to the batterys which are the same type as used in Laptops and Mobiles.

The FAA advised airlines to request that customers identify bulk shipments of lithium batteries, and to stow these shipments in sections equipped with fire-suppression systems

Then why cant they do this then?
    Thats from the same article as you linked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Most items are sent now with the batteries protected in plastic or if they are pre-installed with removable tabs, so they can't short. The companies can show they are shipping items correctly packaged for a fairly hefty fee, can't see many consumers spending over €1k to post back the odd item.

Then why cant they do this then?
    Thats from the same article as you linked

That's what some couriers do where all the information is done online and therefore handlers can be notified that the parcel contains a hazardous item and be handled appropriately. An Post does not have it all on Computers so it's not economical for them.

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    That's what some couriers do where all the information is done online and therefore handlers can be notified that the parcel contains a hazardous item and be handled appropriately. An Post does not have it all on Computers so it's not economical for them.

But how hard is it to put a sticker on the outside of the parcel declaring theres litium batteries inside please handle appropriately and put in correct cargo section? An post has to get with the times and realize this is causing problems for their customers

• Registered Users Posts: 39 AshtownGuy

Hey it's true guys! They won't even post iPhones to UK.

I needed to registered post a faulty iPhone5 back to my insurer who is based in UK. I've tried two post offices today and was told that since the Dreamliner battery explosion incident last week a memo has gone round An Post to inform staff not to accept anything with a potentially exploding batteries as the airlines won't fly them. I could have not told them what was in the package, but they asked for it's value for registered post and I had to tell them in case anything went wrong.

Thankfully the insurance people have agreed to get a courier to take it instead.

This has been educational for me - I didn't know that's what those little plastic tabs were for :D And come to think of it I do remember hearing about a few phones exploding, there was even someone on boards who got famous from his Samsung Galaxy exploding in his car :O

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Had a similar experience. Its because the courier An Post use refuse to take it if it contains batteries. Use a different courier and all will be okay.

Advertisement