Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residents Parking in City Centre/Woodquay Area

Options
  • 21-01-2013 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm going to be buying a car soon but I need to sort parking before I do so. I live in the Woodquay area. According to the city council I'll be able to get parking in Brendan's Ave., Woodquay, Eyre Street, Bothar Irwin, Headford Road, Corribe Tce, Walsh's Tce, and the Plots Road. (http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/RoadsandTraffic/FormsandGuidelines/020611_01.pdf)

I have some questions that hopefully some people may be able to answer.

1) How long does it take to get a residents permit from the council?

2) Where is the Plots Road?

3) Can anyone think of better places to park than these locations? By better I mean a little less out of the public (drunk people at night time in mind), a little more sheltered if possible, and easier to get parking in during the day, as Woodquay and all the areas highlighted above are actually pretty hard to get a space in during the day.

I don't mind walking much to get to the car if its parked up somewhere because I won't be using it a whole lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm going to be buying a car soon but I need to sort parking before I do so.

No can do (unless they've relaxed the rules).

To get the permit, you need to have ownership papers of the car, proof of address and be on the electoral roll for that address. (Can't quite remember, you may need to show tax/insurance papers too.)

An option to cover the time between buying the car and getting a permit is to ask a neighbour with a permit to get you some visitors passes. These are good for 24 continuous hours anywhere in your zone (so you can come and go between parks on the same permit).

Re less drunks ... ahh, good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The parking permit scheme looks pretty severe in its requirements
    The Application Form must be completed in full along with the following documents:
    A copy of the Vehicle Licensing Certificate/Log Book of the vehicle in your name at the address mentioned.
    A copy of your Certificate of Motor Insurance in your name at the address mentioned.
    A current utility bill in your name at the address mentioned (E.S.B./Telephone Bill/Bank Statement only).
    A copy of your driving licence.
    You must have the Statutory Declaration fully completed.
    If you are not the owner of the property you should also include the following:

Resident - Renting:
    A copy of your tenancy agreement or a letter from the Private Residency Tenancy Board confirming that you are a tenant at the address concerned is necessary to process an application.

Resident – Not Owner or Renting:
    A copy of a Bank Statement or Income Tax Certificate to prove that you live at the address mentioned.
    2) Where is the Plots Road?

The plots is the pitch beside the Dyke road - so presumably Plots road is the road around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get ready to jump through a lot of hoops for your parking permit :D
    Old thread on the process http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055113823

Btw, you can only park on close streets to your house, it'll say on your permit where you can park.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭SplitCartridge

Damn. Thanks for the replies though. Do you have to wait til the start of the year to apply or can you apply at any time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Damn. Thanks for the replies though. Do you have to wait til the start of the year to apply or can you apply at any time?

presumably any time - nothing mentioned on the website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I used to live in Woodquay (St Brendan's Avenue) and had a residents permit. But owning a car there, eventually was the reason I moved out.
    It was torture trying to get parking, you couldn't move the car on a Saturday as there was no chance of getting a space again. People shopping and then people coming into town at night.
    I couldn't leave work early as there was no point driving into town to find a space.
    Then there were the drunk people at night, people sitting on the car, etc, not to mention the amount of people that can't parallel park and left dings in my front and back bumper :(
    I was anxious most mornings to go find my car wondering what might have happened it over night or even if it was still there.
    Like I wrote above... I moved out. Oh! and I couldn't park anywhere else only St Brendans Avenue.

antoobrien wrote: »
    presumably any time - nothing mentioned on the website.
    Yeah any time. When I applied years ago I had to wait weeks since there's only one person that can sign off on permits, and he was on holidays.
    Just one of the many little obstacles on your way to a permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

There were cheap private spaces available in Cill Ard on Bohermore a few months ago. If you don't use it a lot then you might consider it. It said a Tenner a week or something on the sign. It could well be cheaper than the price of two wing mirrors.
    In case you didn't know: Owning a car is expensive!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

You can rent some private spaces, seems to be around the 60euro pm mark.
    They are hardly close to Woodquay but if your stuck, they might do;

http://www.daft.ie/searchparking.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=ct2&s%5Bmnp%5D=&s%5Bmxp%5D=&s%5Bpt_id%5D=&search=1&s%5Bsearch_type%5D=parking&s%5Brefreshmap%5D=1&search_type=parking

I used to live up on Prospect Hill, the road up behind Argos is the place I always used to park, did so for about two years, no permit needed..(I think?)

Don't forget that as well as all the paperwork, you have to be on the electoral roll.

When I last researched it, the roll closes in February, but to be eligible you had to be living in ireland as at the previous September.

So if you've travelle, even if you're Irish, that can amount to a fairly substantial chunck of time that you aren't eligible for a parking permit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭SplitCartridge

Thanks for all the info lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Just to clarify some info on this thread. You do not need to be on electoral register. You do need vlc, insurance cert, proof of address & licence. If the address is already approved u could the permit straight away - i was lucky with this as i got mine then and there. Dont know what streets you would get as i live other side of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

Don't forget that as well as all the paperwork, you have to be on the electoral roll.

When I last researched it, the roll closes in February, but to be eligible you had to be living in ireland as at the previous September.

So if you've travelle, even if you're Irish, that can amount to a fairly substantial chunck of time that you aren't eligible for a parking permit.

I got a permit in 2011 and wasn't on the electoral roll. Have things changed since then? This was October 2011

B Rabbit wrote: »
    I got a permit in 2011 and wasn't on the electoral roll. Have things changed since then? This was October 2011

My bad.

I last investigated a while before that, and didn't know that the rules have changed.

You used to have to be on the roll, you don't any more. Excellent news.

Yeah I got my permit back in 2006 and had to be on the electoral roll then.
    Good to hear it's changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭TheRealSquishy

Got mine this time last year, lived on St Brendans Ave but there was about 6 or 7 roads I could park on. Never really had problems finding parking only the odd Sunday. I lived across from the back of the central and there was almost always a space nearly right outside the house.

I had to change my log book and insurance to say I lived there and brought in my lease and I think 20 quid and they printed it there and then in city hall for me. While I was waiting for the logbook to come back with the changed address I just left a note on the dash saying that and left my number, got a call from the traffic warden once and she was surprizingly sound about it so no problems there either.

The drunks were the only real problem for me, I had parked one evening and was just finishing my fag when a girl came over and squatted down right beside my door, I actually didn't see her at first so I opened the door to get out and knocked her onto her back and a stream of p1ss flew up along the side of my car, not pleasent! Had 6 sets of L plates robbed in 4 months aswel so if you're a learner make sure and get the ones that stick on the inside.

Advertisement