Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

• 21-01-2013 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭

This thread is for team talk, Gossip and Rumours pertaining to Arsenal. This thread is open for all users to post in. There are no preferences for fans of any team.

Please note the following Rules:

1. NO MATCH DISCUSSIONS
    - Match threads will be created for matches/match weeks where required.
    - Match discussion will be deleted.

2. Transfers.
    - When a major transfer occurs, please post in the specific thread
    - We will merge/split discussion on requests
    - We will delete transfer discussion that continues here while a tangent thread is in progress.

3. Users who repeatedly ignore these guidelines will receive warnings/bans.

Old thread here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Very shiney! Counting on Walcott, Cazorla & Gibbs for my FF this week! 4-0 Arsenal if they perform like they did 2nd half yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

New shiney thread deserves to start with some positivity

keep-calm-and-have-faith-in-arsenal-2.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Why did we need a new thread lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Why did we need a new thread lads

The powers that be want to restrict threads on Boards.ie to 10K posts or the hamsters will have a melt down and the site will blow up.

Threads that get close to or go over 10K or closed up and new ones started, its a Boards.ie site wide procedure.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The powers that be want to restrict threads on Boards.ie to 10K posts or the hamsters will have a melt down and the site will blow up.

Threads that get close to or go over 10K or closed up and new ones started, its a Boards.ie site wide procedure.

Dammit, I was gunning for that 10,000th post :(

I see there's reports we've gazumped Newcastle for Mbiwa?

Mickeroo wrote: »

Link? Twitter talk saying were back in for Wanyama of Celtic these days when it comes to Arsenal and transfers I believe it when I see it as were linked to so many players but rarely buy any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Mickeroo wrote: »

I wanted to set up the new Arsenal thread and ruin it with Chelsea crap in the 1st post, alas Frisbee has foiled both our plans. :o

He'd be a good singing IMO, one I'd hope we'd take a look at as I'm not convinced about Ivanovic over the last few months.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Link? Twitter talk saying were back in for Wanyama of Celtic these days when it comes to Arsenal and transfers I believe it when I see it as were linked to so many players but rarely buy any.

Just the Gossip column on Football365, probably one of the tabloids running with it. They also mentioned Wanyama along with Gourcuff being offered on loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

M'Biwa and Wanyama would be decent signings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Arsenal and Gourcuff seem to be linked every 4 months.

maximoose wrote: »
    Arsenal and Gourcuff seem to be linked every 4 months.

Yeah. 2 years or so ago he looked a great player, now its more a case of Lyon trying to pawn their dead weight off on us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Mbiwa and Gourcoff were both mentiuned on SSN this morning as well. Not that that makes it any more legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

wonga77 wrote: »

While I still dont believe it if this were to happen I would cream myself.

Well apparently he came out and said he wants to leave this month. ya never know.

Le10sport in France is claiming we made a bid for Mbiwa I think silly season is kicking now a bit.

Kind of depressing tonight ill be watching the Everton game and for the first time in my memory hoping they loose because it will benefit us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

even more depressing that we have to hope for it this early in the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Le10sport in France is claiming we made a bid for Mbiwa I think silly season is kicking now a bit.

the article was a wind up mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

cadete wrote: »
    the article was a wind up mate

Its on plenty of sites that Arsenal are showing late interest, far from a wind up

We've been too quiet so far, I feel like there's at least one or two signings with at least one more on loan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

keano_afc wrote: »
    M'Biwa and Wanyama would be decent signings.
    Both are decent, not the Calibre we should be chasing we need pure quality signing. Like David Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭iainconlon12

Coquelin seems to be on his way to Betis on load. If true, we must have a DM lined up!

Coquelin seems to be on his way to Betis on load. If true, we must have a DM lined up!

Not happy with that, he's been playing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Hope were gonna coqblock any loan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Where is all this coming from? Link?

dvemail wrote: »

Yeh maybe the club president Nicollin literally came out and slated Newcastle today and said if he was to move there he would be dumb etc.

We cant even gazzump a transfer properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

Mbiwa never showed for his Newcastle medical yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Mbiwa never showed for his Newcastle medical yesterday

Montpellier Chairman also slated him for considering going to Newcastle but has also said he doesnt want to keep him or Belhanda. On another note, a deal for Gourcuff seems like its getting more likely, reported in a number of places. Hopefully Mbiwa and Gourcuff are signed along with another player, hopefully a winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Gourcuff is the new Chris Samba. Constantly linked with us despite no evidence and we don't really need him.

A lightweight, mentally weak, injury prone central attacking midfielder? No thanks.

Why do we need Gourcuff? An attacking midfielder is not priority, we have Cazorla and Wilshere who can play there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Gourcuff is another mediocrity. A good option, if your first choice is misisng.

Sadly, we don't have that first choice of any quality any more.

To put this in perspective:

Pires ---Vieira --Berty --- Ljungberg

Bergkamp
    Henry----

Coquelin, Diaby, Walcott and Giroud would be reasonable back up for these guys at best.

The only genuine class in the team is Wilshere, Gibbs and Santi.

We need a top goalscorer, and sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Frisbee wrote: »
    Gourcuff is the new Chris Samba. Constantly linked with us despite no evidence and we don't really need him.

A lightweight, mentally weak, injury prone central attacking midfielder? No thanks.

I think we should sign Scott Dann.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

dvemail wrote: »

any good?

i really think we need to go for Falcoa as our marquee signing. offer 50m plus a 150k contract and we have a good chance of landing him. he can be our RVP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

any good?

i really think we need to go for Falcoa as our marquee signing. offer 50m plus a 150k contract and we have a good chance of landing him. he can be our RVP

What planet are you living on? Also RVP was our RVP, the board let him go because they'd rather have £22m in the bank than the best striker in the world leading the team out every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

any good?

Now Jonney, have you been studying the diagram?

417.gif?w=477

:P

Had to laugh at the fact Mertesacker is the fine enforcer at the club :D

Oh it would have to be a German calling in the debts wouldn't it :D

What planet are you living on? Also RVP was our RVP, the board let him go because they'd rather have £22m in the bank than the best striker in the world leading the team out every week.

Once he said he was off then Arsenal were right to sell.

£22m is a great price for a 29 year old in the last year of his contract given his injury history so i cant fault United or Ferguson in that regard.

Time to look forward. Hurts seeing him in the United shirt but thats just life im afraid.

Once he said he was off then Arsenal were right to sell.

£22m is a great price for a 29 year old in the last year of his contract given his injury history so i cant fault United or Ferguson in that regard.

Time to look forward. Hurts seeing him in the United shirt but thats just life im afraid.

Must. Not. Comment....

Ah here. I dont agree. We shouldnt have sold him. We didnt need the money and he was under contract. It's a decision that showed the club to be a spineless money grabbing outfit and looks like it might cost us CL football this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Offload ashavin and chamack for 20m in total with each earning something like 100k in wages if not more between the two and basicaly just add 30m on top of the sale of those two for the 50m transfer and 50-60k more in player wages to come up with 150k.

its easy and arsenal would have gotten a marquee signing for cheap ie 30m/ 60k contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Must. Not. Comment....

Ah here. I dont agree. We shouldnt have sold him. We didnt need the money and he was under contract. It's a decision that showed the club to be a spineless money grabbing outfit and looks like it might cost us CL football this season.

Can you tell me another club who refused to sell someone despite him making it their only real option?

And don't say Modric because he never came out with the ****e RVP did.

It's like saying United shouldn't have sold Ronaldo, or Liverpool shouldn't have sold Torres, because they were under contract.

As much as the board are a bunch of arseholes, I'm afraid I have to agree that we had to sell him in this situation. The only detail I would be irritated about was that it was United. But I think if there was any chance we could have offloaded him abroad rather than to Utd, we would have done so. Seems like it was a straight choice between the two Manchester clubs.

On our transfer window activity, I really cannot see a big signing coming in. I think we will spend big but just not until the summer. And yes I know, it may be too late by then.

Offload ashavin and chamack for 20m in total with each earning something like 100k in wages if not more between the two and basicaly just add 30m on top of the sale of those two for the 50m transfer and 50-60k more in player wages to come up with 150k.

its easy and arsenal would have gotten a marquee signing for cheap ie 30m/ 60k contract

Hahahahaha, we'd be lucky to get 2M for them combined, never mind 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

This is Boards and not Football Manager! If rumours were correct then Arshavin was being offered to Russian clubs in the summer on a free, don't see how we could get anywhere a decent return there. As for Chamack, he is on loan with West Ham so even if someone was mad enough to take him for 10 million and his wages it wouldnt be possible until the summer.

Even if Falcao was available at a decent price, he wouldn't come to Arsenal, you would have Barca, Madrid and numerous other money bags clubs chasing him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    This is Boards and not Football Manager! If rumours were correct then Arshavin was being offered to Russian clubs in the summer on a free, don't see how we could get anywhere a decent return there. As for Chamack, he is on loan with West Ham so even if someone was mad enough to take him for 10 million and his wages it wouldnt be possible until the summer.

Even if Falcao was available at a decent price, he wouldn't come to Arsenal, you would have Barca, Madrid and numerous other money bags clubs chasing him!

we are a money bags club just a pity all the bags are in Stan and the shareholders houses:D:D

Must. Not. Comment....

You are entitled to you opinion but for a second lets be logical here. £22m on the table. Say we turned it down. Van Persie then gets injured is out for the season and walks on a free at the end of the season? Far too risky to turn it down imo. I honestly believe that 22m for a player in the last year of his contract is a savage price. Im no fan of the Etonian old boys running Arsenal but id be more critical had they turned down an offer like that. It would have been utter lunacy. Besides he no longer wanted to play for us as he stated publicly. There was no turning back from that.

Id agree that Arsenal should not have let his contract run down to a situation where there was only one year left but then again his injury history prior left alot to be desired. VP should have at least kept that in mind before making a decision but in fainress he is 29 and he deserves to be winning trophies given his ability as a player. He wouldnt have won them the way Arsenal are currently operating. During the glory days we were picking up the likes of Overmars, Petit, Kanu, Vieira, Bergkamp, Pires, Ljungberg in the 5-10m range or maybe even less then 5m. To buy that calibre of player now you are talking 4 to 5 times that price. Its gone banana's and the bigwigs at FIFA are standing idly by and watching it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

That's as deluded a post as you'll ever see on this forum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Frisbee wrote: »
    This thread is for team talk, Gossip and Rumours pertaining to Arsenal. This thread is open for all users to post in. There are no preferences for fans of any team.

Please note the following Rules:

1. NO MATCH DISCUSSIONS
    - Match threads will be created for matches/match weeks where required.
    - Match discussion will be deleted.

2. Transfers.
    - When a major transfer occurs, please post in the specific thread
    - We will merge/split discussion on requests
    - We will delete transfer discussion that continues here while a tangent thread is in progress.

3. Users who repeatedly ignore these guidelines will receive warnings/bans.

Old thread here
    Maybe this isn't the place for saying this, but when a new thread is started, can the mod who locks the old thread please leave a post stating that it's locked and maybe even a link to the new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Quazzie wrote: »
    Maybe this isn't the place for saying this, but when a new thread is started, can the mod who locks the old thread please leave a post stating that it's locked and maybe even a link to the new thread.

Yeah, I thought it was just real quiet!

Will do in future.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement