Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Physically he's got it, as a professional though he's brutal. His attitude is poor and we're not the best mentally anyway he'd be toxic. But we're not gonna be in for him anyway so not to worry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Tweet from @GeoffArsenal

David Villa has told Barca he wants to join Arsenal in this window. Arsenal have been in Barca last week negotiating a transfer.

Has he had a DNA test yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Really would find that an odd one. The fee being bandied about is 15M.

15M for a 31 year old striker who'd want big wages and has no experience outside of Spain?

Would be a great signing of course, but very risky.

Frisbee wrote: »

15M for a 31 year old striker who'd want big wages and has no experience outside of Spain?

I hope I'm wrong but I just can't see Barca letting him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

This Geoff fella has said a lot this transfer window, none of it has happened.

• Advertisement

He's now hinting that Vermaelen will be sold in the Summer as AW is getting sick of defensive errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Frisbee wrote: »

Def a risky signing not sure if he would be the knight in shining armour we all expect esp for the rest of this season anyway

I'm prob wrong though I seem to be wrong alot lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

This Geoff fella has said a lot this transfer window, none of it has happened.

Only other thing he said recently was that we mad a 30 million bid for somebody. So it could have been true, i think he is more reliable than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

15m if we got 3 good years out if him, would be a complete change in tact in terms if how we treat players that old!

But it would be a smashing sign of intention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Anything more than 10 million would be a mistake. He is 31 and coming off a bad injury.

I rate him but it wouldn't be a good fit. Leaving out Giroud would be a mistake as he has a longer term future.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Anything more than 10 million would be a mistake. He is 31 and coming off a bad injury.

I rate him but it wouldn't be a good fit. Leaving out Giroud would be a mistake as he has a longer term future.
    I wud see him as a good fit with Giroud. I really don't care anymore about what we pay!

Well he played on the left for Barca today on the left, so he could be taking either Podolski or Girouds spot if we nab him. Funny as well how Villa has been complaining about not getting any game time at Barcalona then when if reports are correct and Arsenal and David Villa himself are pushing to a move, he gets a full 90 minutes today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

He'd be worth 15 if he added the goals to push us up to 4th.New blood might even help a bit of a run in the champions league.Is ECL participation worth about 25 mill a season?

He'd pay for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

He'd be worth 15 if he added the goals to push us up to 4th.New blood might even help a bit of a run in the champions league.Is ECL participation worth about 25 mill a season?

He'd pay for himself.

31 only coming back from an injury and not playing alot lately not sure what impact he would have this season by the time he settles

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2269223/A-fight-broke-Arsenal-supporters-fan-revealed-banner-calling-Arsene-Wenger-leave-club.html

Being reported by the daily mail tomorrow, freedom of speech is fine but Wenger deserves our respect for everything he does for the club, I hope when its time he'll know it I still trust in him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

greendom wrote: »
    He's now hinting that Vermaelen will be sold in the Summer as AW is getting sick of defensive errors.

Christ, I hope not. Couldn't put up with any more of "the curse of the captains armband" in Arsenal.

Other than that wouldn't be devastated as long as he was replaced.

Barca f*cking owe us a good turn! Sell him to us yis bastards!

He didn't say Vermaelen would be sold, just that he will be looking into the defensive market in the summer.
    We do have may too many individual errors between our 3 main CBs though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Lets get some context here for a second; the man we're talking of signing is proven goalscorer at the highest level internationally and at club level and his game would probably take little to no adaption to fit in with our style.

The only things going against him is his age and a bad injury he's had. Tbh at €/£15m he'd be a great signing. He's immediately improve the team and we'd definitely get at least 2.5 years out of him. When you think of the amount pissed away on Chamakh, Arshavin and Squillaci, I can't believe people are so-so on him based on the price being quoted. Its not as if we're stuck for cash. I agree that longer term the emphasis should be on the 20-25 bracket when it comes to shelling out that much money but as a punt on a world class striker its a no brainer. He stays relatively fit and you're adding 15 goals a season to that team easily.

So yeah; given a choice between doing nothing this transfer window and signing a 31 yr old David Villa for 15m I'd going for 31 yr old David Villa every day of the week. Its not a ****ing Stewart Downing or Andy Carroll we're buying here ffs.

I hope it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

dvemail wrote: »
    He didn't say Vermaelen would be sold, just that he will be looking into the defensive market in the summer.

We missed a trick with Yanga-Mbiwa.

As a guy who can play DM if needs must he'd have fit the bill very nicely.

Summer departures wise, unless Gervinho brings that ACN form home with him and at the very least doubles his current goals and assists he should be out the gap in the summer.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    We missed a trick with Yanga-Mbiwa.

As a guy who can play DM if needs must he'd have fit the bill very nicely.

Summer departures wise, unless Gervinho brings that ACN form home with him and at the very least doubles his current goals and assists he should be out the gap in the summer.

Suppose we will have to wait and see how he fairs for Les Newcastle before we can start complaining. But i do reckon he would be at least as good if not better than what we already have.

31 only coming back from an injury and not playing alot lately not sure what impact he would have this season by the time he settles

Perhaps.But I was thinking along the lines of myself pissing and moaning that we sold Man United a league championship for 24 million.

So it might be worth risking 15 million to buy ourselves a champions league spot.

Risk is the important factor of course.But f*ck it.I'd rather we rolled the dice for a change instead of watching others do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭iainconlon12

A lot of negativity in here as always but David Villa would definitely be a deadly signing. There's no other way about it. Really hope it happens.

Somebody earlier mentioned also that GeoffArsenal got nothing 'info' right as well. He was the first to mention that we were signing Santi Cazorla (AFCamden just mentioned spannish euro winner) and whenever he gives out team news the day before games, he's spot on too. He's definitely got his sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Somebody earlier mentioned also that GeoffArsenal got nothing 'info' right as well. He was the first to mention that we were signing Santi Cazorla (AFCamden just mentioned spannish euro winner) and whenever he gives out team news the day before games, he's spot on too. He's definitely got his sources.

What kind of team news does he be giving?

most posters on here could name the starting line up for Wednesday for example, and Wenger has press confs. a day or two before giving injuries, so has the clubs site, if it's that it's hardy earth shattering

I kinda give the guys like that, the supposedly ITK's, the benefit of the doubt though, not all of them just like GeoffArsenal & AFCamden the respected enough ones & i know about the l'pool guy incase anyone mentions it :pac:.
    i was on GeoffArsenal's twitter after the 30m bid & he said to someone his source/info only goes so high - that's actually plausible enough really if he's involved with supporters groups, etc. and would know people at the club from dealing with them or he could be Vic Akers' wifes cousins husband, you know that kinda way - somebody's related to/knows them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

AFCCamden's the only one I'd 100% trust and he doesn't tweet anymore. He got so much stuff right and tweeted out a lot of odd team news on fridays which ended up being correct.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    What kind of team news does he be giving?

most posters on here could name the starting line up for Wednesday for example, and Wenger has press confs. a day or two before giving injuries, so has the clubs site, if it's that it's hardy earth shattering

I kinda give the guys like that, the supposedly ITK's, the benefit of the doubt though, not all of them just like GeoffArsenal & AFCamden the respected enough ones & i know about the l'pool guy incase anyone mentions it :pac:.
    i was on GeoffArsenal's twitter after the 30m bid & he said to someone his source/info only goes so high - that's actually plausible enough really if he's involved with supporters groups, etc. and would know people at the club from dealing with them or he could be Vic Akers' wifes cousins husband, you know that kinda way - somebody's related to/knows them

Well pressers are usually on Friday/Thursday mornings and he (sometimes) releases further starting 11 team news Friday nights or Saturday mornings. I know it could be easy to guess but hed always get them 100% right. Even regarding players w/ late fitness tests. AFCamden also knows him and said before that he's the most reliable Arsenal man on twitter.

AdamD wrote: »
    AFCCamden's the only one I'd 100% trust and he doesn't tweet anymore. He got so much stuff right and tweeted out a lot of odd team news on fridays which ended up being correct.

He does tweet. He has a private twitter now and mentioned a hinted a few times that he'd get in trouble if he leaked any more info. That's probably why he deleted his AFCamden account. The club is definitely onto these guys anyway as GeoffArsenal deletes all of his 'info' tweets shortly after being posted. DarrenArsenal1 done similar earlier regarding Arsenals main transfer guys being in Barcalona Wednesday and Thursday of last week working on multiple deals with Barca.

AdamD wrote: »

He's still on twitter under his real name though, think it's public too if you're not on it

his username was posted here or on the old thread, if your looking for him.

EDIT: mentioned in post above

batistuta9 wrote: »
    He's still on twitter under his real name though, think it's public too if you're not on it

his username was posted here or on the old thread, if your looking for him.

EDIT: mentioned in post above

His a/c is private at the moment. He must have realised that people were copping on about him being AFCamden :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

GeoffArsenal tweet is gone now. Don't know what that means. How reliable has he been in the past?

dorgasm wrote: »
    GeoffArsenal tweet is gone now. Don't know what that means. How reliable has he been in the past?

He always deletes his info tweets now as the club are likely on to him. I don't remember seeing anything he got wrong tbh. No way to prove or disprove the £30m bid either.

Well pressers are usually on Friday/Thursday mornings and he (sometimes) releases further starting 11 team news Friday nights or Saturday mornings. I know it could be easy to guess but hed always get them 100% right. Even regarding players w/ late fitness tests. AFCamden also knows him and said before that he's the most reliable Arsenal man on twitter.

Yeah it'd be the leftfield ones or surprise inclusions that you really get the credit for

if they know each other & that, it would sort of goes back to what i said about them knowing someone or their in the AST or something similar

if they were involved with someone like that, for god knows how long, they're bound to have built up some relationships with people inside the club, be it even a press officer

& you know what Arsenal's like, a 16 year old secretary Herbert Chapman hired in the '30s is probably still at the club :pac:

There were 2 tweets, one about Wenger's unhappiness with defensive errors in general and the other which mentioned Vermaelen and hinted that he would be sold in the Summer, not of his own volition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Soups123 wrote: »
    I'd rival Milan and stick in a bid for Balotelli, there's bags of potential there.
    Wenger could have a go at managing his attitude

Yeah the club needs a disgruntled prima dona.
    And just maybe someone has the number of one of the shrinks that worked with Merson and his many issues.
    Mind you Merson always put his shift in and wouldn't let a club down like the Italian eejit.
    Tweet from @GeoffArsenal

David Villa has told Barca he wants to join Arsenal in this window. Arsenal have been in Barca last week negotiating a transfer.

Has he had a DNA test yet ?

Yeah the Food Safety Authority is doing the tests as we speak.
    Warning: they may find traces of horse. :D

I can just see it, Vermaelen for sale as Squillaci and Santos sit on the bench unwanted like the two ugliest girls at a school disco.

PS I know Squillaci's contract is up in the summer

I am not allowed discuss …

There were 2 tweets, one about Wenger's unhappiness with defensive errors in general and the other which mentioned Vermaelen and hinted that he would be sold in the Summer, not of his own volition.

Must have missed it then so. Thought it was somebody replying to his tweet that mentioned Vermaelen. Of all the defenders to sell, Vermaelen would be last on the list. The last few matches he played he looked the best of the bunch by far. It's Mertesacker or Kosc that have been below par this season. And obviously the likes of Santos and Squillaci should go.

• Advertisement

Must have missed it then so. Thought it was somebody replying to his tweet that mentioned Vermaelen. Of all the defenders to sell, Vermaelen would be last on the list. The last few matches he played he looked the best of the bunch by far. It's Mertesacker or Kosc that have been below par this season. And obviously the likes of Santos and Squillaci should go.

I would have said that Mert has been far and away our best CH this season. Verm has been very poor IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It's almost like you haven't watched us at all this year. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Vermaelen thing doesn't really ring true to me.
    Why would Wenger have made him captain if he intended to get rid of him in the summer?
    Vermaelen has been responsible for a few goals this season but the same could be said for any of the defenders without exception and including Czsz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Why would Wenger have made him captain if he intended to get rid of him in the summer?

Has this not been our best way of selling players the last few years?

I actually think the reason most of our CH's have looked a shadow of their former selves has been the transition to Zonal Marking. Can't for the life of me understand why we're still playing like this.

Just my opinion, he passes it well but for a man who is well over 6ft he seldom wins headers, and is a bit slow when the ball gets played over the top. Just think we can get a much better player to play centre back for us.

• Advertisement

He steadies the ship. More of a general than a warrior. But he's definitely been our best this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

Big Per has been the best CH this season verm looks like his head is all over the place..Kos is very hit and miss and loves a howler every now and again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

I don't think I am clairvoyant in any way but every word of those Ushmanov quotes made me feel like I read them before a couple of months ago.

The writer says at the end of that article that Arsenals problems can be solved by using what we have. Is he talking about the money at our disposal? Is there any? Is Wenger refusing to spend?
    So is it worse to have billionaire owner(Usmanov) that is willing to back any signings the manager wants and the manger(Wenger) not willing to spend it?
    Or have a billionaire(Usmanov) who backs the manager and the manger(not Wenger) actually using that money to buy the quality players we need to compete..
    Im not saying i want Wenger out but the club needs to be more transparent on whether Wenger is getting the money and not spending it , or whether he is not getting any money at all.
    If he is getting the money and not spending it serious decisions need to made about him ..

We should have a poll on this thread Usmanov or Kroenke?
    I personally want Kroenke out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The writer says at the end of that article that Arsenals problems can be solved by using what we have. Is he talking about the money at our disposal? Is there any? Is Wenger refusing to spend?
    So is it worse to have billionaire owner(Usmanov) that is willing to back any signings the manager wants and the manger(Wenger) not willing to spend it?
    Or have a billionaire(Usmanov) who backs the manager and the manger(not Wenger) actually using that money to buy the quality players we need to compete..
    Im not saying i want Wenger out but the club needs to be more transparent on whether Wenger is getting the money and not spending it , or whether he is not getting any money at all.
    If he is getting the money and not spending it serious decisions need to made about him ..

We should have a poll on this thread Usmanov or Kroenke?
    I personally want Kroenke out.

Who knows what's goin on sure! There seems to be direct quotes from Usmanov that suggest that Wenger has to make do because he's not getting the necessary funds from the board. Something I've always suspected to be honest, but I'm not sure you can take that at proof either!

L'prof wrote: »
    Who knows what's goin on sure! There seems to be direct quotes from Usmanov that suggest that Wenger has to make do because he's not getting the necessary funds from the board. Something I've always suspected to be honest, but I'm not sure you can take that at proof either!
    I have always thought that the board not giving money might be the problem, but if that was the case why hasn't Wenger spoke out and/or not left if he is being used as the scape goat.

I think the pair of them are in it

Blogger is right though, Thierry Henry shouldn't be getting involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Blogger is right though, Thierry Henry shouldn't be getting involved.

I can't see why he shouldn't be. He is a firm favorite with the fans and feels a strong affinity to the club himself and with that he does have some influence with the powers at the club why shouldn't he do what he feels would be best for the club?

I personally would love if we followed the Bayern model and had football men in power at the club instead of people like Gazidis.

Eisfield goin in loan to Ipswich.. Would have liking to see him get a run in the first team is on level par with Ramsey if not better.. But it might do him the world of good

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement