Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,502 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

AdamD wrote: »
    That's the line the media **** out constantly but its really really not true. All of us with memories longer than 2 years know we had a few title challenges in that time too and its only really the last 2 seasons where top 4 has been in doubt.
    Agreed with the rest. A summer where we sign a striker and a DM, keeping everyone else together and we won't be in bad shape at all. This season has been a massive missed opportunity. Investment or not, we only had to beat Bradford, Aston Villa and Swansea to win the League cup and Blackburn/somebody crap/Wigan to be in the FA Cup final

ColonialBoy's post is absolutely batshiit

I pass no remarks of the media at all. We have to aim higher than Top 4. We need success. When that does not come then we make do with Top 4.
    I have a longer memory than most here as I saw us win our first double way back in 1971.
    I fairness I agree with you that we have been close over the last number of years but we always lacked or hadn't the foresight to invest the necessary spending that would have made all the difference. We were always that few players short.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Raf32 wrote: »
    Totally agree 9 points from last three, its all we can do!

Its nerve wracking the thought of us messing up in any or all of the remaining fixtures. Nothing can be taken for granted. My nerves are shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I think we want Sunderland to beat Villa tonight. Need to get Villa wound up for their game against Chelsea so that they have to win it.

They should be on a high after hammering Sunderland tonight and I would hope for them to draw with Chelsea but jeez they are so bad at the back hard not to see Chelsea pull them apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Blatter wrote: »

Absolutely no chance this summer anyway. I'd put my house on it, but since I don't have a house you should put yours on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

L'prof wrote: »
    Absolutely no chance this summer anyway. I'd put my house on it, but since I don't have a house you should put yours on it!

If he wants to go, he should this summer or he should sign a new contract and stay. We can't have a lame duck manager for 12 months and with a new spine of the team to be bought this summer, we can't have a lame duck manager in charge of those signings. Managers such as Heynckes and Pellegrini could be available (or Moyes even) this summer so we should be decisive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Don't think he will leave till 2014

If he does go I wouldn't mind as long as we get the right man in

If he wants to go, he should this summer or he should sign a new contract and stay. We can't have a lame duck manager for 12 months and with a new spine of the team to be bought this summer, we can't have a lame duck manager in charge of those signings. Managers such as Heynckes and Pellegrini could be available (or Moyes even) this summer so we should be decisive.

Def dont want moyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Def dont want moyes

He wouldn't be at the top of my list but let's face it, we have to lower our expectations after the last few years under Wenger. A couple of years ago we had a squad that might tickle the fancy of the likes of Klopp etc but he wouldn't look twice at us these days. So much of our immediate future rests on placing 4th at the very least this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

He wouldn't be at the top of my list but let's face it, we have to lower our expectations after the last few years under Wenger. A couple of years ago we had a squad that might tickle the fancy of the likes of Klopp etc but he wouldn't look twice at us these days. So much of our immediate future rests on placing 4th at the very least this season.

A good few of the bookies have adjusted their odds in the light of the Telegraph story - I guess it's more credible than the normal Twitter rumours.

Currently the averge odds bring in Moyes as favourite at 5/2, Laudrup at 10/1 and Mourinho at 16/1

On saying that, I'd be surprised if he will go having talked about re building, there again, if he's not in agreement with the money spend, it could be a trigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Let's hope this doesn't distract the team from the job it has to do.

Why do these rumours always surface during our tough periods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Blatter wrote: »
    Andip wrote: »
    A good few of the bookies have adjusted their odds in the light of the Telegraph story - I guess it's more credible than the normal Twitter rumours.

Currently the averge odds bring in Moyes as favourite at 5/2, Laudrup at 10/1 and Mourinho at 16/1

On saying that, I'd be surprised if he will go having talked about re building, there again, if he's not in agreement with the money spend, it could be a trigger.

The Telegraph/Hayward story is fluffed up from what Philippe Auclair was talking about yesterday on the Guardian podcast, i'd say it was recorded yesterday morning as i downloaded it around 5, the Telegraph story released today online & probably in this mornings paper - nearly 24 hours later, juiced up a bit, reliable stuff :pac:

after the game on sunday he asked Wenger about the stories in the french press about him & PSG, wenger answered in french, so presumably was asked in french by Auclair

on wengers answer Auclair even used the word ambigious, ambiguity is used in the telegraph

he gave it a small chance of happening, 10-15%. As the stuff in france came from a former director of PSG i think, who's nothing to do with the current setup & Auclair reckons Leonardo is more likely or will leave PSG in the summer

the then when through the possibilities of it anyway:
    mourinho leaves real
    ancelotti > real
    wenger > PSG
    low who they mentioned could increase his wages & who some wouldn't mind leaving germany + he's been liked recently > arsenal
    Heynckes > germany

after saying that made too much sense he put the chance of it happening down to about 2 or 5% i think :pac:

that's where that's came from, all the other stuff he put in himself, kronke's £50mil, etc.
    Is it more credible than twitter? just about i'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

batistuta9 wrote: »
    The Telegraph/Hayward story is fluffed up from what Philippe Auclair was talking about yesterday on the Guardian podcast, i'd say it was recorded yesterday morning as i downloaded it around 5, the Telegraph story released today online & probably in this mornings paper - nearly 24 hours later, juiced up a bit, reliable stuff :pac:

after the game on sunday he asked Wenger about the stories in the french press about him & PSG, wenger answered in french, so presumably was asked in french by Auclair

on wengers answer Auclair even used the word ambigious, ambiguity is used in the telegraph

he gave it a small chance of happening, 10-15%. As the stuff in france came from a former director of PSG i think, who's nothing to do with the current setup & Auclair reckons Leonardo is more likely or will leave PSG in the summer

the then when through the possibilities of it anyway:
    mourinho leaves real
    ancelotti > real
    wenger > PSG
    low who they mentioned could increase his wages & who some wouldn't mind leaving germany + he's been liked recently > arsenal
    Heynckes > germany

after saying that made too much sense he put the chance of it happening down to about 2 or 5% i think :pac:

that's where that's came from, all the other stuff he put in himself, kronke's £50mil, etc.
    Is it more credible than twitter? just about i'd say
    Fellow football weekly listener? :D
    Yeah he was pretty sure that it didn't make sense but if it were to happen we'd be getting the German coach. Don't see how the rumours are getting legs when Wenger continuously says that he will be seeing out his contract at the very least.

If wenger will only stay till 2014 like we all think

Do he deserve all these money we supposedly have

I think if he don't sign a new contract we should replace him this summer

AdamD wrote: »
    Fellow football weekly listener? :D
    Yeah he was pretty sure that it didn't make sense but if it were to happen we'd be getting the German coach. Don't see how the rumours are getting legs when Wenger continuously says that he will be seeing out his contract at the very least.

yeah, haven't been listening to it that long about 6 months or so.
    you here them on about the buffets, Chelsea do the best one :pac:

biggest french manager? club with the biggest potential in france...
    + wenger used to be talking about them the odd time before they were took over, saying they had massive potential being the only club in a city the size of Paris, etc.
    It was always a place he was mentioned as going

& i think that ex. director who might have started it this time, is the same guy who said Rooney to PSG is a done deal

• Advertisement

If wenger will only stay till 2014 like we all think

Do he deserve all these money we supposedly have

I think if he don't sign a new contract we should replace him this summer

I think he'll stay if the team pushes on next season, if not i don't think he'll sign

doesn't really answer your question but I can only see one side severing ties at anytime & it's not the board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

are you wenger in disguise...
    he spent 5 years saying the same thing about Bendtner.. that he was young.
    he passed because Wenger has coached him to pass, he has taken the natural goal scoring instinct out of him an trained him to always look for the pass before being a bit confident himself and having a pop

watching villa destroy Sunderland..
    6 goals and 53% of the possesion with only 350 passes...

Bayern Munich had 37% of the possesion against Barcelona and manged to beat them 4-0

and yes offsides do indicate something in a match, they indicate the times you have tried to get the ball into the oponents third of the field .

but heh I know statistics can be confusing to some people and they would rather believe in French hyperbole...

Offsides also indicate that a team plays the offside trap. Gasp!!!

People don't do that do much against Arsenal.

You've gone off on one though buddy. Arsenal play possession football, teams that play against us tend to try and soak up the pressure and counter- attack. We're vulnerable to that because our back four doesn't get great protection from midfield.

Also Stoke probably have the ideal attack for you. Shag all possession but still score goals.

I've no idea why you're citing Bayern or Villa stats.

I mean I'm sure I can find some team that lost to Barca with only 20% possession but what the hell does that have to do with anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Wenger wont go this year, but when he does its going to be a dark day for this club, where the board have no one to hide behind anymore, where a new manager working with our mediocre budgets not being able to have the eye to find a gem. Be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

As I have learned, quoting stats is pretty much a waste of time...you can cut the cloth to suit your needs every time. If Wenger was to leave - which I don't believe will happen while he still has a contract to honour -the ability of the current squad will not have a significant bearing on who is interested in the job.

Anyone who comes in will want to build their own team anyway - especially since we have had the same manager for 17 years now- so it'll be the size of the transfer kitty that will determine the calibre of manager they attract and the size of their contact too of course.

I also think this could be a useful bargaining tool for Wenger (if it's true), the team needs serious investment to compete for the title and I'm sure he must be sick of toeing the party line at this stage that they've 70 million to spend but can't find the right player...all the other big clubs can!

Anyway I really hope he gets the transfer kitty he deserves, would love him to get another crack at building a title-challenging team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Raf32 wrote: »
    Wenger wont go this year, but when he does its going to be a dark day for this club, where the board have no one to hide behind anymore, where a new manager working with our mediocre budgets not being able to have the eye to find a gem. Be careful what you wish for.

He permanently changed the club from occasional big boy (Double in 71, title in 89, 91 and assorted other cups) that reverts to mediocrity, to a huge club, that are perennially in the latter stages of the greatest club tournament in the world.

And the stadium. He paid for the stadium. If you think thats easy, look at the heartache Liverpool are going through trying to get sh1t sorted.

The most important figure in the history of Arsenal, by a mile. No one since Chapman comes close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

meriwether wrote: »
    He permanently changed the club from occasional big boy (Double in 71, title in 89, 91 and assorted other cups) that reverts to mediocrity, to a huge club, that are perennially in the latter stages of the greatest club tournament in the world.

And the stadium. He paid for the stadium. If you think thats easy, look at the heartache Liverpool are going through trying to get sh1t sorted.

The most important figure in the history of Arsenal, by a mile. No one since Chapman comes close.

Well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I cant wait to see a statue of the man outside the stadium or even a stand named after him!

I'll probably get shouted at by the ever so clever "It's Arsenal FC not Arsene FC" word play brigade (yes aren't ye clever!!) but I hope so very much he can leave us on a high, with one more trophy in the bag at least - the man deserves it, even if only to convert the gobsh1tes who think you can pay off for a stadium in London in a season and that he is stashing all the money under his duvet ....

If anyone cares for this club, it's Wenger! They've all left - Fabregas, Nasri, van Persie, Clichy - but he didn't, he still believes. And don't for one second think over the last eight year seasons that he could not have walked into any club in world football (besides Man Utd) - imagine what he could do with Madrid's budget/Bayern's budget etc., - folly to think he's staying for the "easy life" - man has aged for this club.

I'm not saying he has got everything right, he has got a lot wrong as well, but by hell the name he has been called by some "fans" ... I'll cry when he leaves. I'll support the new man a hundred % but the ups with AW will always be far more than the downs - going unbeaten, winning the league at Old Trafford/WHL - Henry's goal in Madrid etc., etc., We'll survive fine without him but only because he'll leave the club in such a good state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Koscielny's performance against United. Class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Reading the United thread and a lot of them want to be in for Fabregas if he's available. If Fabregas is available and we have first refusal that should be the end of it. Would be one of the strupidest decisions ever if we passed on him as he is exactly what United need in order to compete for the Champions League again. Considering how easily they won the league, gifting them Fabregas would be retarded.

Cesc and a striker and I'd be happy assuming we keep Sagna. Anything else would be a bonus. Cesc would be about £30m, leaving quite a bit of change for a striker. We always hear of having somewhere close to £70m to spend, thats £40m left over. Add in that we should be able to raise an extra £10m or so from all the dead weight and we have no excuse not to get what we need. Take a loss this summer and it'll be repaid in no time.

Szczesny/Fabianski
    Sagna -- Mertesacker -- Koscielny --- Gibbs/Monreal
    Wilshere
    Cazorla
    Fabregas
    Walcott/Ox
    Podolski
    Striker

Leaving the likes of Jenkinson, Vermaelen, Gibbs/Monreal, Arteta, Ramsey, Rosicky, Walcott/Ox, Gervinho and Giroud as back up.

Not perfect but a huge step in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'd agree if Fabregas is available then arse would have to buy him, but a three man midfield with him, Wilshire and Cazorla wouldn't work. Wilshere and Cazorla already look like they're getting in each others way slightly, Fabregas would complicate that again.

Also arse have first refusal, but I'm taking it Fabregas can just turn down the move and go elsewhere? Would be interesting to see what he'd do, go back to an under achieving 4th place team, or go join van persie and compete for trophies. Plus you have the same predicament at arsenal that's causing him problems at barca (too many players in his position), although he'd easily be the best player at the club if he came back. If it came down to it though arse could just sell santi to make room for him, as good as santi has been it'd be a no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'd have Wilshere sit a little deeper. Not a DM as such, but not as advanced as the other central players. Have him starting the moves by feeding those in front of him. It'd leave Cazorla and, in this made up scenario, Fabregas free to run riot a little higher up. Cazorla and Wilshere seem to get in each other's way so having Wilshere deeper would hopefully prevent that.

Fabregas wouldnt need to worry about too much competition either. He'd be one of the first names on the team sheet and a major part of the team. That seems to be an issue at Barcelona, he is more a bit part player than a major player.

That's if he is even available to begin with.

We would need a proper DM replace arteta
    Wilshere drop deep battle with Ramsey for that spot
    Santi to the left
    Walcott on the right presume he would be better with cesc around
    Cesc as our AM
    New striker

Don't think he will leave Barca

If he does that attacking line up looks delicious

But for us to challenge for a title we would need too sign another GK, CB, RB

For me that's too much to be done in one Sumer hence were a few years away from challenging

So going forward I feel wenger signs a new contract and builds again with this money we have (if we really have it)

Or he leaves this summer and we get a new man in with a 3/5 year plan

Wenger seeing out his contract and leaving in 2014 don't cut it with me

If Fabregas came (big if) I'd push Cazorla back to the wing where he played for years and give him a far stricter role. ATM hes allowed to drift as much as he wants which wouldn't work with both Fabregas and Wilshere there. I'd go for:

Wilshere Ramsey
    Walcott Fabregas Cazorla
    Striker

If we switched to more of a 4-3-3 Cazorla could be in the front 3, hell if it was a 1-2 then Fabregas or Wilshere could be the 1. I just don't get why we have a bunch of wingers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Personally I think a move for Julio Cesar would be a no-brainer now that QPR are gone. I also think Vermaelen's problem this season was the lack of an Alex Song in front of him to cover his surging runs forward. He's a superb player and could feature just as much again if we find a proper holding midfielder. What say ye of this?

Cesar/Szcz

--Jenks/Sagna
    Mert
    Kos/Verm
    Gibbs/Nacho

Wanyama
    Wilshere

-Walcott/Ox
    Fabregas
    Cazorla/Podolski

Jovetic/Giroud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Cazorla/Wilshere/Fabregas midfield would be demolished by more physical teams and would offer little to no protection to the centre halves.

Barcelona for all their ball retention and possession still had/have Busquets playing that sweeper role in front of the defence. To great effect too, very underrated part of Barcelona's success in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

As much as I cant stand the sight of Busquets, the guy is unreal at his job.

He's the type we should being signing this summer first and foremost. Arteta should really become a squad player after this season. Kinda like Rosicky, he be a great player to have but not really top top quality at DM.

Followed by a keeper, winger/striker.

Im really looking forward to the off season, especially if we get 4th :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

cson wrote: »
    Cazorla/Wilshere/Fabregas midfield would be demolished by more physical teams and would offer little to no protection to the centre halves.

Barcelona for all their ball retention and possession still had/have Busquets playing that sweeper role in front of the defence. To great effect too, very underrated part of Barcelona's success in recent years.

Well that's why I think sticking a physical presence who can still play ball like Wanyama in there would balance that. His work in that role against Barca themselves was unbelievable. Jack in the deeper role isn't shy of a tackle either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Spot on. This season if you hit the pause button when teams start to counter attack against us there's a chasm between the midfield and back 4. We desperately need some protection in front of the centre halves.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Spot on. This season if you hit the pause button when teams start to counter attack against us there's a chasm between the midfield and back 4. We desperately need some protection in front of the centre halves.

A big, tough, mobile and good-tackling DM. like Yaya or Fellaini is what we need most and have done for years.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

A big, tough, mobile and good-tackling DM. like Yaya or Fellaini is what we need most and have done for years.

Pretty much since Viera & Gilberto left I genuinely can't think of a transfer window where I thought it shouldn't be a priority.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Pretty much since Viera & Gilberto left I genuinely can't think of a transfer window where I thought it shouldn't be a priority.

Could you even imagine losing a 4 nil lead with someone like that in front of the back four. Not to mention all the other 2 nil leads we lost over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Could you even imagine losing a 4 nil lead with someone like that in front of the back four. Not to mention all the other 2 nil leads we lost over the last few years.

If Viera was playing in defence on his own with no backline, we still would not concede 4 from being 4 nill up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

I say Yaya Toure was better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Two things I see as absoulte certainties next season;

1) Wenger will be managing Arsenal, not Paris SG.

2) Cesc will be playing for Barcelona, not Arsenal (or anyone else).

Haha pique, couldn't have happend to a bigger prick.

People say we only bet bayern because they were through, but they were through tonight and look what's happening.

We were one goal away from knocking bayern out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

People say we only bet bayern because they were through, but they were through tonight and look what's happening.

We were one goal away from knocking bayern out.

They should have flogged us the first leg by more than 3.

They easily had another gear in them if they needed it imo.

I'd rather look at the facts which is the scoreline, instead of guessing what might have been.

• Advertisement

Giroud should have made it 2-2. Their 3rd goal was jammy as **** too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

If we don't develop/discover some world class talent soon I'd have genuine concerns for Barcelonas ability to keep up with the best in Europe.

If we don't develop/discover some world class talent soon I'd have genuine concerns for Barcelonas ability to keep up with the best in Europe.

This is the arsenal thread?

:o

At the risk of becoming Captain Obvious - he means it as a joke towards Barcelona buying our players :o

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement