Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

performance needs to be questioned because we cant get away with playing **** and winning.

United managed to get away with it this season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

United managed to get away with it this season

Where not united are we

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

gosplan wrote: »

Anyone got any recommendations for another Arsenal forum. I've been here for years but it's doing my nut in at this stage.

http://arsenalarsenal.wordpress.com/

No swearing allowed, no anti-Arsene brigade, no AKBs - just normal rational debate. Tell them "Irish" sent ya :cool:

Where not united are we

No true scotsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

The performance wasn't great but let's not forget that was probably the best I've seen qpr playing this season, with the pressure off they could play with a level of freedom. they've still got some useful players, Remi and Townsend were dangerous, but overall we closed them out and got the points. It was a potential banana skin and we didn't slip up. Nice rest now before wigan. I'm confident of two more wins and we'll see where that leaves us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,500 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Didnt see the match yesterday but reading this thread you would have thought we lost :confused:, we won we got 3 points we kept the pressure on Spurs and Chelsea and at this stage of the season that's all that matters fcuk performances point make the difference.

We can worry about style,player etc next season for now we have one aim top four and I couldnt care how we get as long as we manage to get there.

We scraped through against a dire team - that's the good part.
    Only for a great save from Czsz near the end it would have been one all -- that would have been a disaster.
    We needed a few goals to change the goal difference between ourselves and Chelsea (they are 2 better) and we could and should have gone for them -- that could be a disaster in time.
    The result was good -- the performance was lackluster. Two more wins like it would be great though as long as other results go our way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

These are types of games teams slip up in, we took 6 points from QPR this season, ask the Chelsea lads over on their forum and they would be delighted with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭CSF

no i wont.

i may be too tired counting my 100k per week though
    Jesus, if you have the physicality required for Premiership football, you should really be competing at some sort of professional sport. I know if I had to run around after some of the most fit athletes in the world for 90 minutes, I would need to sleep for days. Not jonneymendoza though. The man, the myth, the monster.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    The performance wasn't great but let's not forget that was probably the best I've seen qpr playing this season, with the pressure off they could play with a level of freedom. they've still got some useful players, Remi and Townsend were dangerous, but overall we closed them out and got the points. It was a potential banana skin and we didn't slip up. Nice rest now before wigan. I'm confident of two more wins and we'll see where that leaves us.

Also, Park played against us and he didn't score! Result.

If people can't tell the difference between playing well to tactically shut out a match and what Arsenal served up yesterday then there's no point talking to them tbh.

Anyway hopefully the United players' hangovers have cleared.

Exactly what I was thinking.
    Yet some posters can't see that difference and are happy to motor along thinking that we closed the game out well. Szczesny's great save at the end kept us in the race yesterday.

• Advertisement

Yet some posters can't see that difference and are happy to motor along thinking that we closed the game out well. Szczesny's great save at the end kept us in the race yesterday.

Good goalkeeping is also an element of a good performance you know. However i do agree that yesterday we didn't play well. I think people are happy because we are getting results , and that's all that matters at the end of the day. People have been calling for us to win ugly for years now and when we do that apparently it's still not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

So true. If we miss out on CL qualification by a point then people may agree that we have not done enough in certain games this season. Its not as if we have nothing to play for and why the apathy? It will not be good enough next season if this toothless attitude surfaces periodically.

Good goalkeeping is also an element of a good performance you know. However i do agree that yesterday we didn't play well. I think people are happy because we are getting results , and that's all that matters at the end of the day. People have been calling for us to win ugly for years now and when we do that apparently it's still not good enough.

It was good enough yesterday, just.
    If that ball had gone past Szcz we would be having a seriously different debate today.
    My point was that it was a game we absolutely had to win against a team who were very poor in the first half yesterday and we should have gone for more goals. If Chelsea pip us on goal-difference we might have it yet.
    I am always happy with a one nil win but we needed more yesterday especially when we had them on the rack but weren't clinical enough.
    Let's hope it is enough though.

Uniteds midfield looks shocking today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

There's a reason I tend to avoid this thread unless we win 3/4/5 nil.

The last 5 or so pages are it.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Uniteds midfield looks shocking today

Why didn't they play that line up against us?!

cson wrote: »
    There's a reason I tend to avoid this thread unless we win 3/4/5 nil.

The last 5 or so pages are it.

Nobody keeping you.

AdamD wrote: »
    For all the talk of 1-0 leads being dodgy and needing to kill off games; we haven't let a single one goal lead slip after half time this season. That includes 2 games where we spent over 20 minutes with 10 men. I think its disingenuous to say we're just riding our luck.

I do think people are missing this point. We are less adventurous but with good reason (and effect).

A little analysis:
    Before Spurs
    Avg goals scored per league game this season: 1.89
    Avg goals conceded per league game this season: 1.14
    Points per game this season: 1.67 (same amount of goals as points :P)

Since Spurs:
    Avg goals per game: 1.75
    Avg goals conceded per game: 0.5
    Points per game: 2.5

4 goals against Reading slightly skews my point as I was sure we were scoring less, which we still are, albeit slightly. But I think this shows a big switch in tactics since the Spurs game. The full backs are attacking less and with Ramsey and Arteta playing at CM together there has been a lot more cover for the back 4. Its definitely been uglier, but its also been far more effective, and iirc, pretty much what everyone had been calling for all season. Of course we should have scored 1 or 2 more against QPR but the change in tactics has meant that we held that lead and didn't need the extra goal whereas earlier in the season, not scoring the 2nd goal would have meant we'd drop points.
    The opposition should be taken into account. Since Spurs we've drawn against United (with nothing to play for) and Everton and the other teams are currently, 8th, 9th, 12th, 15th, 19th and 20th in the league. Pretty much all season our "form" has just followed the quality of opposition. Hopefully that continues to the end against 2 teams we should be beating easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

The opposition should be taken into account. Since Spurs we've drawn against United (with nothing to play for) and Everton and the other teams are currently, 8th, 9th, 12th, 15th, 19th and 20th in the league. Pretty much all season our "form" has just followed the quality of opposition. Hopefully that continues to the end against 2 teams we should be beating easily.

It wasn't long ago that we weren't even able to beat these lower teams. Be happy we are doing it now when it matters most, no matter how it is being done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

another win yesterday, happy days.

Sure I'd have loved a few more goals but a good 3 points in the bag.

Really starting to enjoy playing poorly :D

• Advertisement

farna_boy wrote: »
    It wasn't long ago that we weren't even able to beat these lower teams. Be happy we are doing it now when it matters most, no matter how it is being done.

When was that? We're only slightly better this season than usual against the bottom half and worse than usual against the top half. As maddening as inconsistency was, it's worse when we just look to have found a level where we are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

CSF wrote: »
    Jesus, if you have the physicality required for Premiership football, you should really be competing at some sort of professional sport. I know if I had to run around after some of the most fit athletes in the world for 90 minutes, I would need to sleep for days. Not jonneymendoza though. The man, the myth, the monster.

You lost the plot. these guys are professional athletes designed to play 90mins of football twice a week and earning a crap load of money.

You are just making excuses for these professional athletes.

The olympians put these lot to shame. take example jessica ennis. Did multiple events in the space of 3-4 days continues with only a rest between events during the day and rest at night.

She makes some of these athletes look like whimps.

case point messi. a real footballer. not a diving whimpy player that can only play 2 games a month before moaning about being worn out. Messi is a player who wants to play every single game he can. a proper professional unlike most of these Premier League players who only care about £££.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

If Chelsea drop points here its back in our hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

FFS :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

86 mins like spurs yesterday, I'm not confident anymore

Careful now, sure everything's great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

You lost the plot. these guys are professional athletes designed to play 90mins of football twice a week and earning a crap load of money.

You are just making excuses for these professional athletes.

The olympians put these lot to shame. take example jessica ennis. Did multiple events in the space of 3-4 days continues with only a rest between events during the day and rest at night.

She makes some of these athletes look like whimps.

case point messi. a real footballer. not a diving whimpy player that can only play 2 games a month before moaning about being worn out. Messi is a player who wants to play every single game he can. a proper professional unlike most of these Premier League players who only care about £££.

Once every couple of weeks. She gets weeks or sometimes even months off between events, because she needs it. They need time off too. Often they don't get much of it. Therefore they get tired. How difficult is that to understand? :confused:

It will be just like Spurs to win on wednesday and we will then be in 5th place.

• Advertisement

Not confident at all now, need Chelsea to beat Tottenham on wednesday or season could be up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Can't understand your pessimism lads. As a spurs fan I just can't see us getting anything from the Chelsea game. You guys and chelsea now surely must be favorites for the CL places.

Chelsea fans must be raging that they didn't win 8-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

So Chelsea can mathamatically afford to draw or lose against Spurs on Wednesday and still qualify for Champsions League football.

A draw would be ok for Arsenal as it once again puts their fate back into their hands, with wins against Wigan and Newscastle enough to secure them at least 4th

A defeat for Tottenham means Arsenal could qualify with a draw and a win, even if Tottenham win their final two games, as Arsenal have the superior GD.

Third is out of the question, Chelsea to win is the only option for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

As long as spurs don't beat Chelsea, fourth is in our hands.
    Its going to be a rough few weeks.

• Advertisement

dvemail wrote: »
    As long as spurs don't beat Chelsea, fourth is in our hands.
    Its going to be a rough few weeks.

Your biggest worry is not us beating Chelsea, its Wigan doing a Wigan and hitting the escape button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Your biggest worry is not us beating Chelsea, its Wigan doing a Wigan and hitting the escape button.

Tbh I've so much to worry about, I don't know where to start worrying.
    To many permutations.

dvemail wrote: »
    Tbh I've so much to worry about, I don't know where to start worrying.
    To many permutations.

It really is the most open one in years. Any of the three could still miss out.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    It really is the most open one in years. Any of the three could still miss out.

I'd agree with you to a point, but after Chelsea's win, it's looking more likely for them in CL next year.

In saying that, the relegation fight that will rage into next week and very possibly the last gameweek. However, it will most adversely affect Arsenal, who will face Wigan, whereas Chelsea and Tottenham having to play Aston Villa and Stoke respectively, look safer than the others. Things will be much clearer come Wednesday.

I'd agree with you to a point, but after Chelsea's win, it's looking more likely for them in CL next year.

In saying that, the relegation fight that will rage into next week and very possibly the last gameweek. However, it will most adversely affect Arsenal, who will face Wigan, whereas Chelsea and Tottenham having to play Aston Villa and Stoke respectively, look safer than the others. Things will be much clearer come Wednesday.

Maybe we should start embracing the fact er idea of europa league as a probability possibility? :eek:

• Advertisement

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Maybe we should start embracing the fact er idea of europa league as a probability possibility? :eek:

I think we should be positive, all we can do is hope Chelsea at least draw vs. Tottenham and then put full concentration into Wigan and Newscastle, there's a nice break in between for Arsenal to prepare against Wigan, who need to put everything they can against them, as they will do the same.
    In terms of Wednesday, it's really about who wants the win more, Spurs will be really going for it I'd say, so we reallly need to hope Chelsea put up a worthy performance and want it more. Unlucky this weekend, last gasp winners for both teams to give them an important 3 points. Let that be the end of it!

If people can't tell the difference between playing well to tactically shut out a match and what Arsenal served up yesterday then there's no point talking to them tbh.

QPR had some good chances. Remy forced Ches into a full stretch save for one. We shut out nothing. The door was open right up to the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭batistuta9

QPR had some good chances. Remy forced Ches into a full stretch save for one. We shut out nothing. The door was open right up to the end.

Thats what he's saying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Still confident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I think we should be positive, all we can do is hope Chelsea at least draw vs. Tottenham and then put full concentration into Wigan and Newscastle, there's a nice break in between for Arsenal to prepare against Wigan, who need to put everything they can against them, as they will do the same.
    In terms of Wednesday, it's really about who wants the win more, Spurs will be really going for it I'd say, so we reallly need to hope Chelsea put up a worthy performance and want it more. Unlucky this weekend, last gasp winners for both teams to give them an important 3 points. Let that be the end of it!

Wigan are playing a few times before meeting us again so they will be tired. We will need to up our game compared to the QPR game but I don't think the match will be as much of a struggle as some people think it might be.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Thats what he's saying

Ahh yes now i see. :o

To be honest id read it wrong the first time.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

After today I'll be wanting Chelsea to nuke Spurs from orbit on Wednesday. It's the only way to be sure.

Still confident

If you had faith in Ramsey, you'll have faith in anything :D

Mickeroo wrote: »
    After today I'll be wanting Chelsea to nuke Spurs from orbit on Wednesday. It's the only way to be sure.

Chelsea have a great record v Spurs so hopefully they will continue it at the Bridge Tuesday.
    Id take 4th no bother if we were guaranteed it at this stage rather then having a chance of finishing either 3rd or 5th.

Mickeroo wrote: »

Yeah it'll be goodbye to third but would leave a getout clause of a win & draw being enough

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement