Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Eisfield goin in loan to Ipswich.. Would have liking to see him get a run in the first team is on level par with Ramsey if not better.. But it might do him the world of good
    Its the right move at this point, he has potential but hasnt been tested week in week out, the Chammpionship is ideal for him at this point

The first team squad isnt suited for too many development projects loaning him out to Ipswich will be great experience and he'll come back stronger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Eisfield goin in loan to Ipswich.. Would have liking to see him get a run in the first team is on level par with Ramsey if not better.. But it might do him the world of good

Ive no problem with him going on loan hopefully he will come back fighting for a first team spot next season every time Ive seen have been really impressed with how composed and calm he looks on the ball.

Just a shame he couldn't get a loan to a EPL team or even a team doing well in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

I can't see why he shouldn't be. He is a firm favorite with the fans and feels a strong affinity to the club himself and with that he does have some influence with the powers at the club why shouldn't he do what he feels would be best for the club?

I personally would love if we followed the Bayern model and had football men in power at the club instead of people like Gazidis.

He's risking his legacy at the club, well maybe that's overstating it a bit, but it could blow up in his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Ive no problem with him going on loan hopefully he will come back fighting for a first team spot next season every time Ive seen have been really impressed with how composed and calm he looks on the ball.

Just a shame he couldn't get a loan to a EPL team or even a team doing well in the championship.

I prefer the the thought of him going to a struggling club with a solid manager like Mick Mccarthy than someone doing well who may not develop him as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Tony Adams said that he had spoken to the club about getting involved in coaching in some capacity at some level but he said the board don't seem interested, he also said the team is no a million miles away from challenging City and United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Barlett wrote: »
    Tony Adams said that he had spoken to the club about getting involved in coaching in some capacity at some level but he said the board don't seem interested, he also said the team is no a million miles away from challenging City and United.

That's probably why they're not interested!!! They don't want anybody rocking their cash cow! We've never been a million miles away since Wenger came on the scene. I wouldn't mind Adams as a defensive coach, but I dunno if he'll ever be ready to manage us, which is obviously what he's hoping for!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Barlett wrote: »
    Tony has a bee in his bonnet since Bould got the assistant job, I think he put his hat in the ring. Since then how he talks about Arsenal has changed.

He has never convinced me when he talks about football that he is clued in enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not having money a la Villa is one thing.
    Having money and not strengthening when we have obvious cracks is downright foolish and could come back to haunt them a la finishing 5th.

I think we are 3 players short. A DM, a forward (in case of injuries) and a defender who can play center-back and LB.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I dont think Mertesacker has been that impressive this season. I like the guy but again on Saturday we seen his frailties. Hes quite poor in the air aswell for his size. He seems to be a CB version of Crouch in the air, lanky but no good.

I see Beckham has moved back to London and is available on a free transfer. I would take him for til June although i doubt thats a popular choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

DB10 wrote: »
    I dont think Mertesacker has been that impressive this season. I like the guy but again on Saturday we seen his frailties. Hes quite poor in the air aswell for his size. He seems to be a CB version of Crouch in the air, lanky but no good.

I see Beckham has moved back to London and is available on a free transfer. I would take him for til June although i doubt thats a popular choice

Bring him on for corners I suppose :D

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

He would be some weapon for set pieces. Have to say I really like the guy despite his past clubs, and media hype. Seen a bit of chat on twitter about it too but its mostly bull**** I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Whatever about him as a player these days, still think he's gas craic.

Interesting that he says Poldi has been a uniting force in the dressing room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Wayne Veysey of goal.com is tweeting that Dicky Law is in Spain negotiating for Villa & and that Villa is very keen on the move........lets just hope it's David & not Aston lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd take more heed if you tweeted it than anybody connected to goal.com tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I would love to see Villa in the prem. Do us all a favour and just bloody sign him :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭iainconlon12

Andip wrote: »
    Wayne Veysey of goal.com is tweeting that Dicky Law is in Spain negotiating for Villa & and that Villa is very keen on the move........lets just hope it's David & not Aston lol

Honestly one of the most dreadful reporters going. Seems like he had seen Geoffs tweets and basically copied him. Calling it an "EXCLUSIVE" as well. Pathetic!

AFCamdens private a/c

"Dean H ‏@DeanLDN22
    "Busy day at Colney today". I know no more than those words!"

Hmmmm.

AFCamdens private a/c

"Dean H ‏@DeanLDN22
    "Busy day at Colney today". I know no more than those words!"

Hmmmm.

Teasing bastard with cryptic messages :cool:.

On goal.com once I see a story attached to them I automatically assume its fake or look for a reliable source they stole it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

David Villa ? Even if he ends up not signing for us, just the thought that he may has brightened up this transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Screw it, sign Villa for about 3 years and Beckham for 6 months, with an extra year if he's worth it. We can worry about long term in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

maximoose wrote: »
    I would love to see Villa in the prem. Do us all a favour and just bloody sign him :pac:

Rather we sign Falco.

40m offer plus 170k per week salary.

Winning teh fa cup will persuade hime ven more that this team is going to be the next Barca of tomorrow and will dominate the EPL and europe.

Villa is coming to Arsenal. I can feel it in my bones!

Rather we sign Falco.

40m offer plus 170k per week salary.

Winning teh fa cup will persuade hime ven more that this team is going to be the next Barca of tomorrow and will dominate the EPL and europe.

............ We've got a dreamer on isle 7

blobby360 wrote: »

............ We've got a dreamer on isle 7
    Same lad thinks we'd get 20mill for Arshavin & Chamakh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Whatever about him as a player these days, still think he's gas craic.
    Interesting that he says Poldi has been a uniting force in the dressing room.

ah as a guy i've loads of time for Arshavin. Gas man. When he plays to his strenghts he was awesome.

feck it, let him play on wednesday!!

Gervinho scored again yesterday I see.
    Says a lot about the standard that competition although at the end of last season I though he might light up the EPL this season :o

bad2dabone wrote: »

Wo wo lets not get carried away now :).
    Gervinho scored again yesterday I see.
    Says a lot about the standard that competition although at the end of last season I though he might light up the EPL this season :o

Your not alone in that one I thought Gervinho would really shine in his second season how wrong I proved to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Tayto interesting article about Gerv
    :http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jan/23/gervinho-arsenal-ivory-coast

there's something weird about him, he was immense in France and great in pre-season. Then his confidence goes and he's ****e. Now he's brill at the ACN. He'll come back and be ****e again. But we might get 8m for him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Have a feeling Wenger is going to unleash Arshavin against Liverpool on Wednesday night!

Tayto interesting article about Gerv
    :http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jan/23/gervinho-arsenal-ivory-coast

there's something weird about him, he was immense in France and great in pre-season. Then his confidence goes and he's ****e. Now he's brill at the ACN. He'll come back and be ****e again. But we might get 8m for him :D

Interesting article alright, even in the video posted a few pages back he comes across as very shy. But also have to remember the French league is not on the same level as the EPL and not all players can make that step up, and the ACN has some truely terrible teams in it.

• Advertisement

Can't believe the speed of Arshavin for the 4th goal against Liverpool.
    Where has that speed gone or has he eaten all the pies.
    Is our training regime as good as it's reputed to be at all as he now looks very fat? No doubting his skills though when on form.

That's what's frustrating about Arshavin. He has all the skills in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

He could have been such a cult hero, a successor to Limpar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

ah as a guy i've loads of time for Arshavin. Gas man. When he plays to his strenghts he was awesome.

still diddnt win the match. pathetic game imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Can't wait until Friday morning when all this torture is over!

Sky Sports News Tweet.

"Arsenal have told us at #SSN tonight that they are not in talks with Barcelona to sign David Villa"

Make of it what you will...

blobby360 wrote: »
    Sky Sports News Tweet.

"Arsenal have told us at #SSN tonight that they are not in talks with Barcelona to sign David Villa"

Make of it what you will...

Hmm, a bit odd for Arsenal to come out and dismiss a rumour. I'm thinking it's probably to make other clubs think we're not able to get him, so as they won't go for him? Odd anyway. I still think they're trying to sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Dismissed interest in Arteta the day we bought him.Pretty sure the same with Arshavin while we all knew he was at Arsenal having his first western Big Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Dismissed interest in Arteta the day we bought him.Pretty sure the same with Arshavin while we all knew he was at Arsenal having his first western Big Mac.

Well as far as I know the Arteta deal was actually dead but Arteta himself made it happen by cutting his personal demands significantly.

• Advertisement

A reliable Barcelona based journo, Quim Domènech Puigbó, just said on Spanish radio that we're offering €15-18m for David Villa this week. He also mentioned that if we don't sign him in this window, we'll try to sign him in summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Knowing arsenal they'll probably sign Villa for 12m on a one year contract.

I just can't see us signing villa, he's 31 and on big wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Beckham to train with Arsenal. Perhaps he can teach a few of our lads how to get a decent ball into the box.

DenMan wrote: »
    Have a feeling Wenger is going to unleash Arshavin against Liverpool on Wednesday night!

I hope not. He was new at the club back in 09 when he got those 4 goals at Anfield. 4 years and a sh*t load of money later he is sitting on his arse picking up soft money and seems happy to let his contract run out. We tried to offload him but even his hometown club didnt want him.
    We need points on the board and are in no position to gamble on a player who may or may not decide to at the very least put in a shift

As a counsel for his defence i would make a claim that every player who plays better in a central role is shoved out wide with Wenger.

So it looks like Villa's not happening:
    Asked whether the Spanish striker might moved to the Emirates before the end of the January transfer window, Wenger responded:

“Barcelona doesn’t want to sell David Villa – they have made that very clear.”

Pressed further on the matter, Wenger responded with a curt, “No” when questioned about whether there was any room for manoeuvre in negotiations with Sandro Rosell and his Nou Camp chronies.

Clarifying the state of affairs, while no doubt wanting to tear his hair out, he drew a line under the matter: “I said they don’t want to sell and I didn’t say he was target.”

http://news.arseblog.com/2013/01/wenger-barca-will-not-sell-david-villa/

Ho-hum...

At least it'll all be over by Thursday night. At least we can sign Beckham after Thursday...

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

is there any chance of the gooners signing becks??? gone in from 18/1 to 7/1 i might stick a quid on....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

As a counsel for his defence i would make a claim that every player who plays better in a central role is shoved out wide with Wenger.

This is a very thin counsel though, he has some pace, can cross with either foot, has an eye for a pass and can dribble with either foot like Santi, so he should have been good on the flank. He had the ability to do it, but whatever reason he just didn't do it for Arsenal unfortunately.

Looking forward to the end of the window at this stage, doesn't look like we are in for anyone.

is there any chance of the gooners signing becks??? gone in from 18/1 to 7/1 i might stick a quid on....

I wouldn't be totally surprised, or annoyed if he signed for the second half of the season on a pay by play contract.

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    This is a very thin counsel though, he has some pace, can cross with either foot, has an eye for a pass and can dribble with either foot like Santi, so he should have been good on the flank. He had the ability to do it, but whatever reason he just didn't do it for Arsenal unfortunately.

Looking forward to the end of the window at this stage, doesn't look like we are in for anyone.

Someone made a great comparison on this thread back in 2011 when he said that we were like the schoolboy who is kept in during lunchtime while all the rest of the children get to play in the yard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

He was an Arsenal fan as a kid so I'd say he might be interested, plus Posh would love London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'd love a good signing but to be honest, if Wenger's looking at bringing in someone like Cavani or Villa and can't, then I won't be too upset if we don't get anyone.

I think while the manager is the manager, he shouldn't be making signings just to placate the fans and bar one or two targets he might have, it's not easy to sign someone effective in Janurary.

If we were to go through the summer without signing anyone - I'll be all 'Wenger and board out'

Obviously we need a forward but how many forwards can you get in Jan that'll be of any use, i.e. as good as Giroud or Walcott oop??

We need a brilliant DMF but can we get someone who will
    a: be better than the Coq
    b: improve on the option of Wilshire playing there
    c: improve on the option of Arteta playing there

We do need a backup CB though, badly. A couple of injuries to our CB's and we're fooked.

I guess what I'm saying is that if we come through this window with no arrivals, I'll give Arsne the benefit of the doubt given it's Janurary and all.

This will be the last one though. We need another summer like last one .... without anyone leaving though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement