Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

Mertesacker and Kocielny could win the CL for the next 2 years if they have the right midfield in front of them. As I assume we will have :P

Mert is beginning to win me over a bit. The high line makes him look bad because he is not blessed with speed but it would seem we are playing a game that suits him now and he has been solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8695582
    What is he thinking during the run in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Reading reports Bayern are enquiring about kos.

So underrated, never gets a mention from any pundits or commentators.

I like the fact he's underrated to be honest, keeps him out of the tabloids and transfer merry go round bull**** stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Mert is beginning to win me over a bit. The high line makes him look bad because he is not blessed with speed but it would seem we are playing a game that suits him now and he has been solid.

I've always liked Merts and thought he got a unfiar bashing off a lot in here and in the media, opposition fans have one argument against him he's slow. But don't see his calming influence on the defence his good positioning etc it's the odd blunder he just needs to cut out.

As for our CB pairing im still baffled why Wenger gave Verm the captaincy and dropped Kos at the start of the season when it was clear as day last year Mert and Kos worked well together and were our best CB pairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Raf32 wrote: »
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8695582
    What is he thinking during the run in?

What is he trying to do? Motivate Spurs? He should leave the mind games to others IMO and stick to goalkeeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Podolski confirmed he has an injured ankle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

jester77 wrote: »
    Podolski confirmed he has an injured ankle.

So Walcott and Ox in or Gerv up front.

Problems. Santi is wrecked so he won't do anything great bar keep possession. He kind if still has to play though. Hopefully we get a jammy early goal again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

gosplan wrote: »
    So Walcott and Ox in or Gerv up front.

Problems. Santi is wrecked so he won't do anything great bar keep possession. He kind if still has to play though. Hopefully we get a jammy early goal again.

Everyone should really be fresh for the Wigan game. 9 day break. Wilshere in particular should be well over his injury problems, hopefully anyway. Giroud to come in for the Newcastle game very fresh :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Eurosport reporting Jovetic deal done, 23 million

AdamD wrote: »
    Everyone should really be fresh for the Wigan game. 9 day break. Wilshere in particular should be well over his injury problems, hopefully anyway. Giroud to come in for the Newcastle game very fresh :P

Santi won't be fresh. The guys wrecked and needs a few weeks off rather than a week. Giroud was in the same place before his red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Eurosport reporting Jovetic deal done, 23 million

Pound or Euro?

Pound and thats a bit high for us. Euro and its down to about £18m which is more realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

23.6 millions pounds apparently and 100k a week are the figures being bandied about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭batistuta9

wonga77 wrote: »
    23.6 millions pounds apparently and 100k a week are the figures being bandied about

where is this story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gosplan wrote: »
    Santi won't be fresh. The guys wrecked and needs a few weeks off rather than a week. Giroud was in the same place before his red.

Can't understand that at all tbh.
    Why wouldn't he be fresh? He's had no injuries and a game or two every week should be no bother to him or anyone else.

Why wouldn't he be fresh? He's had no injuries and a game or two every week should be no bother to him or anyone else.

PL a step up physicality wise than La Liga
    + he has 47 apps, 45 starts, a lot of games - most in the team

Would have been good for stoke to be beaten tonight, so they need a result against spuds next week, other results aren't on our side these days.

Would have been good for stoke to be beaten tonight, so they need a result against spuds next week, other results aren't on our side these days.

Was hoping they'd lose tonight and be up for the Spuds game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Was hoping they'd lose tonight and be up for the Spuds game.

Here's hoping they've actually come into some form and will at least give the spuds a game of it.

Here's hoping they've actually come into some form and will at least give the spuds a game of it.

Equaliser. They might have to be up for it if it stays like this :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Walcott 20 (13)
    Giroud 17 (11)
    Podolski 14 (9)
    Cazorla 12 (12)
    Gervinho 7 (5)
    Arteta 6 (6)
    Koscielny 3 (1)
    Mertesacker 3 (3)
    Rosicky 3 (2)
    Mr. Owen Goal 3 (3)
    Chamakh 2 (0)
    Oxlade-Chamberlain 2 (1)
    Wilshere 2 (0)
    Arshavin 1 (0)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Miquel 1 (0)
    Monreal 1 (1)
    Ramsey 1 (0)
    Vermaelen 1 (0)

(League goals in brackets)

Sorry for the delay guys.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is it true about Jovetic and Villa? Can't find anything about it online.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Walcott 20 (13)
    Giroud 17 (11)
    Podolski 14 (10)
    Cazorla 12 (12)
    Gervinho 7 (5)
    Arteta 6 (6)
    Koscielny 3 (1)
    Mertesacker 3 (3)
    Rosicky 3 (2)
    Mr. Owen Goal 3 (3)
    Chamakh 2 (0)
    Oxlade-Chamberlain 2 (1)
    Wilshere 2 (0)
    Arshavin 1 (0)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Miquel 1 (0)
    Monreal 1 (1)
    Ramsey 1 (0)
    Vermaelen 1 (0)

(League goals in brackets)

Sorry for the delay guys.

The league goals there add to 68 but the table I'm looking at has us down as scoring 67 goals, have you double-counted something?

Poldi should have 9 instead of 10 in the league I think

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The league goals there add to 68 but the table I'm looking at has us down as scoring 67 goals, have you double-counted something?

Was there one that was later put down as an own goal? I seem to remember that happening but can't think who it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is it true about Jovetic and Villa? Can't find anything about it online.

It's just rumours. Eurosport reported that the Fiorentina chairman said it was a done deal but their article contained no direct quotes from him. Won't believe anything until it's on Arsenal.com

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    Poldi should have 9 instead of 10 in the league I think

That is correct. Fixed.

It's just rumours. Eurosport reported that the Fiorentina chairman said it was a done deal but their article contained no direct quotes from him. Won't believe anything until it's on Arsenal.com

where did they report it?

I read the latest Jovetic-Arsenal article, one of the most painful google translates ever, on it earlier & as you say no quotes from the chairman or anything about it even being a done deal, it's more a summary of Jovetic's time with Fiorentina & the national team
    http://mercato.eurosport.fr/football/serie-a-1/2012-2013/fiorentina-jovetic-la-bonne-pioche-d-arsenal_sto3709452/story.shtml

there's a newer story about Fiorentina swapping him for Pablo Osvaldo of roma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

what do people make of oxlade chamberlains season? he hasnt had much playing time to be fair i just hope he hasnt peaked too soon

what do people make of oxlade chamberlains season? he hasnt had much playing time to be fair i just hope he hasnt peaked too soon

He might have been a little burned out after the Euros with his summer break being shorter but i think that taking him out of the team this season has done him the world of good. He is still very young and probably performed beyond expectations for us last season. More to come for sure. Was very instrumental in our win against Norwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

He might have been a little burned out after the Euros with his summer break being shorter but i think that taking him out of the team this season has done him the world of good. He is still very young and probably performed beyond expectations for us last season. More to come for sure. Was very instrumental in our win against Norwich.

ya i agree he had a busy season and euros last year so a quiet season was alright for him this season but i think he should shift it up again next year hell be 20 in august and should be given more playing time maybe/ lets just hope arsene knows best:)

• Advertisement

It's just exhaustion I guess but you can't run a half-marathon or two every week and expect to recover fully

If you talk to anyone who's been going to the games, they were all saying the same thing about Giroud before his red - that you could clearly see fatigue catching up with him. He's another who played tonnes of games.

Still, only 2 to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Well done Theo, not a bad return in fairness

AVB on Szczesny jibe at Spurs: 'An Arsenal [player] who has just arrived at the club ... is not entitled to so much hatred of Tottenham'

AVB on Szczesny: 'It would be a little more tolerable coming from a genuine Arsenal fan, not a player only passing through to another club'

Only been at Arsenal 7 years. Seems AVB gets baited pretty easily. Hope he regrets these comments as much as his last set.

Actually reading some of the comparisons on twitter are rather amusing.
    AVB was making Mourinho's coffees when Szczesny joined Arsenal.
    AVB (3 jobs in 3 seasons) criticising Szcezsny (at Arsenal since 2006) for not sticking around is hilarious.
    AVB has managed 4 clubs since Szcezsny joined Arsenal
    AVB said a few things about us and he's been there for less than a year. And Szczesny has been here for a very long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Seems to have gotten his titties in a twist rather easily. Fairly stupid comments since it's Szceseny he's talking about. Any other player in the first team, except Jack and Gibbs probably, and he might have more of a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Seems to have gotten his titties in a twist rather easily. Fairly stupid comments since it's Szceseny he's talking about. Any other player in the first team, except Jack and Gibbs probably, and he might have more of a point.

I think it's hilarious how he even responded.

I say he can see St Totteringham's Day on the horizon and is getting a little upset with himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,121 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Am I correct in thinking that if Chelsea win tomorrow night that we only need a win and a draw from our last two games?

Quazzie wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking that if Chelsea win tomorrow night that we only need a win and a draw from our last two games?

Correct. Unless Spurs rack up 13 odd goals in winning the other two games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Quazzie wrote: »

Yes. We would get the spot due to goal difference. Thats assuming Spurs win their last two.

It pains me to say this....

COME ON CHELSEA!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

HazDanz wrote: »
    Yes. We would get the spot due to goal difference. Thats assuming Spurs win their last two.

We badly need Chelsea to win this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

No need for a team talk tomorrow night. Szczesny has done that for us

You should hope so because by the looks of things AVB has lost the run of himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It was a bit silly - but AVBs response was pretty daft too tbh.

Ye're team talk consisting of what?

"Get the ball to Bale"

In fairness, its kinda working in so far as the gooners are ahead of ye in the league ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Ye're team talk consisting of what?

"Get the ball to Bale"

In fairness, its kinda working in so far as the gooners are ahead of ye in the league ;)

Don't be counting them chickens yet;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

First I was cheering for United on Sunday, now I have to cheer for a John Terry team tomorow?

Feck you anyway Arsenal, dont have me to resort to this again.

Don't be counting them chickens yet;)

Ya I learned that lesson from ye last season :pac:

Mind the gap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Last few games played in the league are going to be nail biting stuff for us, if Spurs win tomorrow than we are rightly fcuked unless Stoke can do us a massive favour and beat Spurs at home. We still have 2 real tricky fixtures left and I am not overly confident of getting maximum points, Wigan seem to be our bogey team over the years (they beat us at home last season) and Newcastle who we haven't beat at St James Park in our last 2 visits there. If we make top 4 this season again I have to take my hat off to Wenger as this really is the worst Arsenal team in a long time.

Just another thing, I have given Szczesny an awful lot of stick this season but I must say he pulled an absolute top drawer save out of the bag in the last few minutes against QPR on Saturday, if that had of gone in that was curtains for our Champions Lge hopes for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Galvasean wrote: »
    It pains me to say this....

COME ON CHELSEA!!!!!

Dont worry we'll be going s**t or bust in this game, if we win we canrest players against Villa on the eve of the EL.

Beating Spurs at Stamford Bridge will make sure we can at least cement down 4th no matter what happens.

Our record agaisnt Spurs at Stamford Bridge in the EPL :
    P 19 W 0 D 6 L 13 For 12 Ag 37

I'm confident we'll at least get a draw but with the chance of resting players against Villa I'm sure Rafa will go for it, but that also is the same for Spurs they have to win at all costs.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Dont worry we'll be going s**t or bust in this game, if we win we canrest players against Villa on the eve of the EL.

Beating Spurs at Stamford Bridge will make sure we can at least cement down 4th no matter what happens.

Our record agaisnt Spurs at Stamford Bridge in the EPL :

I'm confident we'll at least get a draw but with the chance of resting players against Villa I'm sure Rafa will go for it, but that also is the same for Spurs they have to win at all costs.

That says yous haven't won in 19 games??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement