Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Dont worry we'll be going s**t or bust in this game, if we win we canrest players against Villa on the eve of the EL.

Beating Spurs at Stamford Bridge will make sure we can at least cement down 4th no matter what happens.

Our record agaisnt Spurs at Stamford Bridge in the EPL :

I'm confident we'll at least get a draw but with the chance of resting players against Villa I'm sure Rafa will go for it, but that also is the same for Spurs they have to win at all costs.

Please win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its Spurs record agaisnt us at The Bridge, they ahvent won in 19. :pac:

I should have said their record against us to make it clearer. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Its Spurs record agaisnt us at The Bridge, they ahvent won in 19. :pac:

I should have said their record against us to make it clearer. :o

You could have pulled out a similiar record for us at Old Trafford at the start of the season and look what happened there last September.

Records are there to be broken... What a time it would be to get our first win since the EPL started at the Bridge tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

You could have pulled out a similiar record for us at Old Trafford at the start of the season and look what happened there last September.

Records are there to be broken... What a time it would be to get our first win since the EPL started at the Bridge tomorrow night.

Are you a spurs and arsenal fan!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Are you a spurs and arsenal fan!?

I didnt realise that this was a closed forum?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

No that's only the Sp*rs forum :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

farna_boy wrote: »
    No that's only the Sp*rs forum :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Oh can I play too?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Relax I'm just pointing out you refered to arsenal and spurs as we and us!

Edit- my bad I thought you were talkin about the game at the emirates last week, my bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8696833/Olivier-Giroud-claims-he-was-a-target-for-Bayern-Munich-last-summer

**** sake arsene would ya stick a media ban on these guys please before they say something even stupider 1st Woj riles up Spurs and now Giroud totally undermines us ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8696833/Olivier-Giroud-claims-he-was-a-target-for-Bayern-Munich-last-summer

**** sake arsene would ya stick a media ban on these guys please before they say something even stupider 1st Woj riles up Spurs and now Giroud totally undermines us ...

What? Sure Wenger is always giving interviews himself and about anything and everything. I wish they'd all keep their mouths shut, opinions to themselves and get on with their jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

AdamD wrote: »
    AVB on Szczesny jibe at Spurs: 'An Arsenal [player] who has just arrived at the club ... is not entitled to so much hatred of Tottenham'

AVB on Szczesny: 'It would be a little more tolerable coming from a genuine Arsenal fan, not a player only passing through to another club'

WOJBALLBOY_zpsa8a898f4.png

No he's not a genuine fan at all :rolleyes:

Outside a pub in London :D

IMG-20130507-WA0004_zpsc7090c2b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I don't think the quotes undermine us at all.
    Asked if he had been in touch with Bayern, Giroud was quoted in The Sun as saying: "Not directly but my agent was and it was validated by Bayern.

"They wanted time to watch the Euros and Mandzukic had a good tournament.

"The fact I was wooed by Arsenal is good. I'm very happy here. English football is what I hoped for.

"The people live, eat and sleep football here."

Still unnecesary to even answer the question though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

AVB also ignoring the fact Szcz has lived in london since he was 15, hence the accent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Sure AVB himself is only passing through West Ham next I hear on his whistle stop tour of failure at London clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Sure AVB himself is only passing through West Ham next I hear on his whistle stop tour of failure at London clubs

Sure we all know there is only one club in London

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

So, Mike Dean will referee the Wigan game :(

Here's his record against the top 6, looks ominous for us.

article-2262230-16F02A22000005DC-219_634x171.jpg

Apparently Bale tried to trademark his goal celebration. This is actually real, what a knob! :D

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00002657917

• Advertisement

Apparently Bale tried to trademark his goal celebration. This is actually real, what a knob! :D

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00002657917

Seems to want to get himself a merch deal

WOW :D

Sounds like Puma really wanted the deal. Hopefully they'll come up with some interesting kit design ideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭lertsnim

No more Nike hurray!! Their recent efforts have been absolute muck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Failure???? You have no clue have you about football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,121 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Failure???? You have no clue have you about football.

Well he never fulfilled his objectives at Chelsea. What happens tomorrow night will have a massive bearing on how his career in England will be viewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Quazzie wrote: »
    Well he never fulfilled his objectives at Chelsea. What happens tomorrow night will have a massive bearing on how his career in England will be viewed.

I don't agree, what ever happens from now until season end it will have been a good season for Spurs. AVB will have a summer to hopefully get his own players in and next season we will be even stronger, he cannot be judged a failure after one season where top 4 could be achieved or narrowly missed out on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Fabregas wears puma. Clutching at straws here. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

jester77 wrote: »
    So, Mike Dean will referee the Wigan game :(

Here's his record against the top 6, looks ominous for us.

article-2262230-16F02A22000005DC-219_634x171.jpg

That is shocking. I thought it was just when he reffed us against Utd and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

That is shocking. I thought it was just when he reffed us against Utd and the like.

Would love to see who we played against when he was the ref. Would reckon it would be more so the bigger matches, which we always seem to lose.
    Still though, i never like to see the man ref a match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Nice work with the Puma deal :)
    I'm a big fan of Puma kits.

Italy,Dortmund,Sporting CP all fantastic jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Guess Wenger will never get to battle it out with Ferguson again. Pity...I liked their duels the best.

Looking good for next year!

Fergie gone

Decent sized kitty

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Fergie gone

Decent sized kitty

When we win the treble next year how annoying will it be when people say it's only cause Fergie's gone?

Corcs001 wrote: »
    When we win the treble next year how annoying will it be when people say it's only cause Fergie's gone?

I couldn't give a rats :pac:

Fergie gone

Decent sized kitty

Chelsea win tonight to cap a great 72 hours.

• Advertisement

I actually felt a bit sad this morning when I heard the news.

Football is one of the most important unimportant things in my life, and Ferguson has been around forever.

Whilst I hate him in a football sense (not a real world sense) you have to respect him too. It will be odd not having him around.

I just hope he's not unwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I respect him enormously for what he's achieved on the pitch. Such a will to win that puts most to shame. I have zero respect for him as a person though and I will be glad to see the back of him.

keano_afc wrote: »
    I respect him enormously for what he's achieved on the pitch. Such a will to win that puts most to shame. I have zero respect for him as a person though and I will be glad to see the back of him.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

meriwether wrote: »
    Why?
    I'm not a fan of his on a personal level either, not speaking to media when things don't go his way, banning any journalist who dares ask him a tough question, constantly talking about referees, he was whining about the referee letting Arsenal adopt a physical approach after the recent 1-1 draw; one of many examples of astonishing hypocrisy on his part- the only thing more shocking than the approach United took in the game that ended the unbeaten run in 2005 was the absolutely appalling refereeing performance.

He has for years shown little or no class when things don't go his own way, I guess that's what you want to see from within your own club, that bitterness and backs to the wall the world is against us mentality when things aren't going well, and that's one of the many reasons he will forever be loved by United fans. And I admit; rightfully so. However, that mentality has led him to amassing quite a large amount of self-contradictory and hypocritical statements over the years, and things which can only be considered utter nonsense and garbage outside Man United's inner circle (players, management and fans).

I don't care about United, how they perceive things and their inner circle. So I have spent the last 20 years listening to Ferguson as an Arsenal fan, I only care about things from Arsenal's perspective; and from that perspective Ferguson has been an often infuriating man who has said many unacceptable and ridiculous things over the years.

In particular; he has always gotten an extremely easy ride from the media compared to Arsene Wenger, despite the fact that Wenger has always been much easier to deal with, that's not right.

End of the day; he is a legend regardless of what anyone thinks. What he achieved and how he just kept on doing it over and over again is nothing short of remarkable. It will be strange not having him around next season but I won't miss him one bit.

Final word; this will in no way bury United as a force, they won't just go away, Ferguson's legacy is that he has United are effectively now a Barcelona/Real Madrid type club that will always be there or thereabouts! So unfortunately this doesn't make Arsenal's task any easier from next season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I know I am gloating over Fergies departure and I am really enjoying myself with my United mates on Facebook but I reckon we only have a year or two more of the Arsene era at Arsenal. Hopefully the loss of his sparing partner doesn't lead Wenger to decide to call it a day at the Emirates especially now that we have the funds becoming available to make some quality signings. Hopefully Chelsea go for the throat tonight and maul Spurs and we secure Champions League. Next Season is looking a little more positive.

Also I doubt that Mourinho will go to United but the fact the managers chair is vacant means that poor old Roman is going to have to give his chequebook a more vigorous workout to ensure the golden one joins Chelsea :)

• Advertisement

In other news these commercial deals really do point towards having an actual 'war chest'. In previous seasons, profit from transfers has been needed to break even but with our revenue rocketing up, the 50-60m mark doesn't seem all that unrealistic. Wage bill wouldn't be set to rise by much either due to the amount of outgoings.

Rough figures could be 40m extra from kit and emirates alone, then the new TV money + 1 or 2 other sponsorships they've announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

In other news these commercial deals really do point towards having an actual 'war chest'. In previous seasons, profit from transfers has been needed to break even but with our revenue rocketing up, the 50-60m mark doesn't seem all that unrealistic. Wage bill wouldn't be set to rise by much either due to the amount of outgoings.

Between the Puma and the new Emirates deals and the great fanfare with which they were announced I think for once we can expect rather than hope for big spending in this summers transfer market.

I've believed for a long while that Wenger will retire from club management when his contract expires in 2014- which I would like to think would result in him going all out in the transfer market this summer in a bid to go out on a high.

If I'm wrong, and he wants to extend his contract (which I'm certain the board would gladly accommodate) I'd like to think he will make demands of the board in his next contract negotiations; "Give me greater freedom in the transfer market or I'm off to PSG:pac:", if his current contract isn't his final contract in club football then the next one he signs could very well be.

I hope he is acutely aware that his time in club football is running out and he doesn't have much time left to win silverware. Wenger is short to medium term now. Not much use in him thinking long term and investing in 18 year old's who may or may not be world class in 6 years time. I'm hoping for a more aggressive Wenger in the transfer market, I suspect he'll remain "sensible" but lets see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

keano_afc wrote: »

I am sure the referees in the PL are breathing a sigh of relief as well.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

jordainius wrote: »
    Between the Puma and the new Emirates deals and the great fanfare with which they were announced I think for once we can expect rather than hope for big spending in this summers transfer market.
    Agreed. We could have expected not to sell big last summer too though.

jordainius wrote: »
    I've believed for a long while that Wenger will retire from club management when his contract expires in 2014- which I would like to think would result in him going all out in the transfer market this summer in a bid to go out on a hiIf I'm wrong, and he wants to extend his contract (which I'm certain the board would gladly accommodate) I'd like to think he will make demands of the board in his next contract negotiations; "Give me greater freedom in the transfer market or I'm off to PSG:pac:", if his current contract isn't his final contract in club football then the next one he signs could very well be.

Wenger loves a long term project, there isn't a hope in hell he'll leave next year only for some young upstart to reap [UALL[/U] the benefits of Arsene's hard work and extreme dedication since we moved to the Emirates. The amount of flak he's gotten has been unreal and he deserves to bask in the glory of bringing trophies (and maybe Cesc too :D) back to Arsenal .

In short he'll want one major trophy (atleast) before he goes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

All these media stories about extra transfer funds & sponsorship deals will suddenly evaporate when the the season ticket renewal dates are over. It happens every summer. :mad:

It's all just propaganda with sycophants such as Peter Hillwoods nephew in the Daily Star & John Cross in the Mirror following the club line.

Wenger wouldn't seriously spend the money if it was available anyway, he prefers to buy two cheaper players for the price of one decent transfer. :pac:

The team will continue to get weaker under the current ownership & management as it has over the last 8 years. :(

Wenger spends most of the money available to him; just most of it goes on wages.

Isnt the stadium debt totally wiped out from 2014/15

No debt no problem

I don't believe so, no. The repayments are small enough though and have been for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

It's twats like this guy that really make you despair.

https://twitter.com/markedtaxi

For ex.:
    mark ‏@markedtaxi 1h
    @JamesGooner88 Arsene Wenger is a stubborn clueless old **** who is also a liar ill answer you question!! Who u getting lairy with anyway?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement