Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I haven't heard that from United fans.

We have complained about our team all season, despite the silverware. Leaking goals at the start, midfield getting overrun. I don't think you could say we were too happy when we won and played badly, more relieved.

Must just be the ones I know then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The departure of Rooney is not probable. As I said, rumours are that he now is looking to stay. That the reason for his transfer request (if true) are that his relationship with Ferguson deteriorated.

Even if he is sold, that money will be reinvested, as will further funds which are no doubt available.

TBH I think it would be in the longer term favour of United if he does go. Short term it would add to the uncertainty though.
    Rio Ferdinand I'm not too worried about. We are well stocked in that area of the pitch.

Without a doubt you have the playing talent to absorb his loss, it just would be the loss of another experience voice in the dressing room.
    For what it's worth, I don't think we will win the league either (unless we can get another player on the level of Van Persie) I just don't think the gap between Arsenal and United will close in the way most Arsenal fans expect. I think it will remain in around 12-18 mark again, if not more. At 12, it would be an improvement.

I am assuming from your handle that you don't remember United in the Pre-Ferguson days. United were seen as a cup team and no real competition in the League. The only team we worried about was Liverpool with King Kenny. When Souness took over after Dalglish resigned he oversaw its decimation and they have still not recovered from that disaster. Bear in mind Souness had better form that Moyes before he took over and had won silverware with Rangers in Scotland, he had won 3 Scottish Premier titles and 4 Scottish League Cups. I honestly don't believe that will happen with United but it is a possibility.

As for Arsenal I honestly believe that next season we will be a lot closer or even above United in the League. I have a sinking feeling that moneybags City and Chelsea may finish above both of us though. The Financial Fair play rules could have a bearing on this as well. All in all it is shaping up to be a very interesting new season of football with a lot of balls in the air (sry couldn't resist). For Arsenal it is key that we are in the CL next season. If we don't nail down a top four position then things will be taking a big step backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah great reply :rolleyes:

My smart comment was in reply to a poster telling us that Arsenal now have a chance to "close the gap" on United.

Are you seriously thinking that will happen? A team nearly 20 points ahead of you, star studded will suddenly come within the grasp of Arsenal, a team barely scraping fourth place?

Pretty irrelevant seeing as he is now managing a totally different team, with a bigger budget, a infinitely better squad and Ferguson just upstairs.

The last time that happened was almost 10 years ago. Wow.

A little word of warning.
    It is probably before your time, but united were also rans and then fergie arrived.
    It took him a few years to start turning things really around and then he got going on his glorious career at united.

If you want to see how it is possible that the mighty can fall just take a look at your old rival in what once Lancashire.
    They used to win the league every other year, they won more European Cups/CLs in 10 odd years than you have EC/CLs in your history.
    And now loook where they are ?

Now granted with the money united have they shouldn't fall quiet so far, but there is nothing to say that united won't experience years without major honours.
    ferguson was special there is no doubt and united now have to replace him.
    His drive and desire drove the club on and menat they probably won things when they really shouldn't.
    Expecting things to continue as normal is being optimistic.

As for rooney coming to Arsenal, he can fook off.
    He has an attitude problem and there is better value out there.
    The only thing he would be better than is yet another French league striker.

Anyway perhaps rooney might be better heading to Ajax or Hamburg where he can indulge in his old nocturnal activities.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

jmayo wrote: »
    Anyway perhaps rooney might be better heading to Ajax or Hamburg where he can indulge in his old nocturnal activities.

There's only place for him so, Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ah great reply :rolleyes:

My smart comment was in reply to a poster telling us that Arsenal now have a chance to "close the gap" on United.

Are you seriously thinking that will happen? A team nearly 20 points ahead of you, star studded will suddenly come within the grasp of Arsenal, a team barely scraping fourth place?

Pretty irrelevant seeing as he is now managing a totally different team, with a bigger budget, a infinitely better squad and Ferguson just upstairs.

The last time that happened was almost 10 years ago. Wow.

Im sorry but to point out the obvious the United team is far from star studded, if you look at premiership squads both City and Chelsea have bettter squads than United and with Chelsea possibly bringing in Mourinho I'd be very worried if I was United.

You have the likes of Valencia, Young and Nani on the wings the only one of which could be remotely considered a str is Nani and hes far to inconsistent, Evra who is not the player he once was, Scholes and Giggs more than likkely retiring, Ferdinand no longer the player he once was, a goalkeeper who is improving but is still prone to mistakes. I could go on, the only part of the pitch were United are really star studded is up front with Rooney, RVP and Hernandez, Wellbeck to a lesser extent and I expect Kagawa to improve next season.

Its been the Ferguson effect a magnificent manager keeping United at the top and the other teams fcuk ups, with lot of the old guard aging or moving on at UTD a new unknown manager coming in your confidence is baffling.

I can see UTD finishing 3rd next season, unless of coarse Moyes suprises everyone or Ferguson is still pulling the strings behind the scenes.

As for Arsenal if we do like we are hearing loosen the shackles a bit and really begin to spend money again and bring in the right kind of players there is no reason to think Ferguson or no Ferguson that Arsenal could't close the gap remember Wenger is the man who assembled the invincibles something even Ferguson couldn't achieve you would be silly and stupid to dismiss Arsenal if and its a big if at the moment we do loosen the leash and let him spend money and bring in the right kind of player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Im sorry but to point out the obvious the United team is far from star studded, if you look at premiership squads both City and Chelsea have bettter squads than United and with Chelsea possibly bringing in Mourinho I'd be very worried if I was United.

You have the likes of Valencia, Young and Nani on the wings the only one of which could be remotely considered a str is Nani and hes far to inconsistent, Evra who is not the player he once was, Scholes and Giggs more than likkely retiring, Ferdinand no longer the player he once was, a goalkeeper who is improving but is still prone to mistakes. I could go on, the only part of the pitch were United are really star studded is up front with Rooney, RVP and Hernandez, Wellbeck to a lesser extent and I expect Kagawa to improve next season.

Its been the Ferguson effect a magnificent manager keeping United at the top and the other teams fcuk ups, with lot of the old guard aging or moving on at UTD a new unknown manager coming in your confidence is baffling.

I can see UTD finishing 3rd next season, unless of coarse Moyes suprises everyone or Ferguson is still pulling the strings behind the scenes.

As for Arsenal if we do like we are hearing loosen the shackles a bit and really begin to spend money again and bring in the right kind of players there is no reason to think Ferguson or no Ferguson that Arsenal could't close the gap remember Wenger is the man who assembled the invincibles something even Ferguson couldn't achieve you would be silly and stupid to dismiss Arsenal if and its a big if at the moment we do loosen the leash and let him spend money and bring in the right kind of player.
    Yeah it's horrible that with Rio and Vidic aging that there's no young centre backs at the club capable of playing for 7 or 8 years at a high level, I mean there is Evans, Jones and Smalling but other than that United are really screwed. Evra and Rio haven't just had their best seasons in 3 or 4 or anything either and Rafael certainly hasn't proved himself a more than capable right back. All these mistakes you talk about De Gea making, surely you'll be able to point to...let's say 3 since Christmas.

Nani was real inconsistent in those 5 games he played this year alright too. Valencia has been poor and Young isn't up to it is basically all you have right there, Giggs hasn't played much but has still played too much and Scholes has been out most of the season so not sure how much of a loss they will be. United have needed a new centre midfielder or 2 for years now, hardly a revelation and one that Moyes will act on. Already steps taken to address the wing issue with Zaha coming in. Carrick will still be there, he just needs cover, Rooney might not be but Kagawa is there and in need of more gametime and has shown his quality in the past.

So overall, the top class attack you mention has behind it 1 very good deep lying midfielder, average wingers (if Nani is sold) and a top level defence. One or 2 centre midfielders, Zaha and an improvement from one of Nani, Young or Valencia next season and all is rosy.

EDIT: Also people comparing United now to the one in 1986 is the most laughable thing about this thread.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

United will still be competing in the seasons to come though I genuinely can't see Moyes maintaining anywhere near the success Fergie has had. Ferguson is a freak, the success he achieved was phenomenal, the odds of any manager working in the game today achieving that consistent level of success over such a long time are staggering.

Since he's still going to be at the club behind the scenes his influence might carry over I suppose but I think Moyes will need a couple of seasons to settle in and put his own stamp on the team. I don't see united suddenly turning into a club who will sack a manager after six months if the team hit a bad patch of form so hopefully he will be given a proper chance. Then again he could win the title in his first year, nobody knows.

Either way I'm pretty excited about the uncertainty that's hanging over the league now. And if nothing else it will be nice to support the team who's manager has the most PL titles to his name next season :D

Liam O wrote: »
    Yeah it's horrible that with Rio and Vidic aging that there's no young centre backs at the club capable of playing for 7 or 8 years at a high level, I mean there is Evans, Jones and Smalling but other than that United are really screwed. Evra and Rio haven't just had their best seasons in 3 or 4 or anything either and Rafael certainly hasn't proved himself a more than capable right back. All these mistakes you talk about De Gea making, surely you'll be able to point to...let's say 3 since Christmas.

Nani was real inconsistent in those 5 games he played this year alright too. Valencia has been poor and Young isn't up to it is basically all you have right there, Giggs hasn't played much but has still played too much and Scholes has been out most of the season so not sure how much of a loss they will be. United have needed a new centre midfielder or 2 for years now, hardly a revelation and one that Moyes will act on. Already steps taken to address the wing issue with Zaha coming in. Carrick will still be there, he just needs cover, Rooney might not be but Kagawa is there and in need of more gametime and has shown his quality in the past.

So overall, the top class attack you mention has behind it 1 very good deep lying midfielder, average wingers (if Nani is sold) and a top level defence. One or 2 centre midfielders, Zaha and an improvement from one of Nani, Young or Valencia next season and all is rosy.

EDIT: Also people comparing United now to the one in 1986 is the most laughable thing about this thread.

Evans is not at the level Rio or Vidic were or never will be, Smalling still has to prove it. I think Jones could well prove it but he needs to be settled into a position and stop shuffling around. Rafael has imroved ill give you that, as I said Da Gea has improved but he still has moment under pressure from crosses were he looks like a lost schoolboy.

ON Giggs and Scholes taking out of account there loss on the pitch they will be a bigger loss in the dressing room, one you hope he will act on ;) I also hope thats not Felliani a player I really rate. Really Zaha? Addressing the wing issue I don't think so he may prove to be but he hasnt even played any EPL games yet putting all your eggs for the wing on a player like that is a very risky manouvre. The defence isn't top class for me.

Watch next season one or two losses and United fans will go into meltdown sure despite yehs all thinking things will be rosy or putting on a brave front there were even times United fans called for Fergusons head. United in the EPL are not a powerhouse in the same way as Barcelona, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich are in there respective leagues and no one ever really challenges that. If you join a team in one them leagues its to one them three in the EPL you have City, Chelsea, United to a lesser extent Arsenal , Spurs and Liverpool and looks through history 5 years ago no one thought Man City would be were they are now things change very quick in the EPL there are no certainties despite many United fans thinking they are untouchable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ehh I think you are getting things a little mixed up.
    I, and probably some others I bet, would compare united now to Liverpool in the mid to late 80s, not to united in the mid to late 80s.

They are loosing the old guard after a long period of dominance and they are changing managment.
    As someone else has said all it takes is a sousness equivalent to take over and hey presto you are on a downard trajectory.

Anyway all of this takes pressure off Arsenal and the incestant rumours about the transfers.

Oh and another thing to look forward to is the departure of sebastien squillaci and andre arshavin :D

I reckon if a public leaving part was held for then it would be best attended one in history as everyone would want to make sure they were actually leaving.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

lol with all you have said above will you please please tell me how to fcuk United managed to concede more league goals this season than the under achieving, poor quality, mis managed Arsenal squad??

PS Evra has not had one of he's best seasons, do not let a few goals hide the fact that he is not good enough anymore or anywhere near it for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

lol with all you have said above will you please please tell me how to fcuk United managed to concede more league goals this season than the under achieving, poor quality, mis managed Arsenal squad??

PS Evra has not had one of he's best seasons, do not let a few goals hide the fact that he is not good enough anymore or anywhere near it for that matter.

You have clearly not watched much of UTD. this season then. Evra has been fantastic this season and is quite possibly the best LB in the PL this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Happy Dennis Bergkamp Day!
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/QrQf_voR9LU

Montroseee wrote: »
    You have clearly not watched much of UTD. this season then. Evra has been fantastic this season and is quite possibly the best LB in the PL this season.

lol I swear a little pee just came out when I read this, put this man on a stage, tell me what do you base your analysis on, how many points he has in Fantasy Football :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

lol I swear a little pee just came out when I read this, put this man on a stage, tell me what do you base your analysis on, how many points he has in Fantasy Football :D

Baines has more points anyway :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

In fairness, how would Arsenal fans recognise a decent left back in recent years! :pac:

• Advertisement

In fairness, how would Arsenal fans recognise a decent left back in recent years! :pac:

You see unlike the Man Utd 'fans' (and I use the term loosely) We can actually appreciate that football does infact also exist outside our own team.

Do you honestly believe Evra is the best left back in the premier league??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Ah, This season is far from over for Arsenal yet. Need to get top four before considering closing the gap on United next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

1. The second best team in 2013? What the hell does that count for? Can't believe you actually think that is a valid point

2. Whether you lose players or not, it would take serious investment before the gap on United is closed. That won't happen (high investment I mean). Even if there were large funds made available, Arsenal cannot compete with Man City and Chelsea on either a fee or wage basis

3. See above

4. Scholes had a minimal impact. Him retiring wont mean anything. Same for Giggs. As it is, Giggs will play another year. On Rooney, you are quick to throw about that he may leave (granted he might) but there is also rumours (equally strong) that he will now stay.

United will again reinvest this summer and already have a great base to work from. The gap won't close, maybe by a few points at most, but nothing significant barring a total collapse which is just as unlikely.

You know, just when i start to think Fergie wasn't all that bad, i remember why i'm so delighted he's gone.

Welcome to the pack!!!

Ha ha ha ha.

What's funniest is that you know it too. All I'm hearing from Utd fans is that Moyes will have a great team, money to invest and the guidance of Fergie.

What no-one's mentioning is that Moyes, depsite his achievements, clearly has not, and never will be another Alex Fergeuson.

The era is over, now you'll be just another big club going through peaks and troughs duking it out with Chelsea and City.

gosplan wrote: »
    You know, just when i start to think Fergie wasn't all that bad, i remember why i'm so delighted he's gone.

Welcome to the pack!!!

Ha ha ha ha.

What's funniest is that you know it too. All I'm hearing from Utd fans is that Moyes will have a great team, money to invest and the guidance of Fergie.

What no-one's mentioning is that Moyes, depsite his achievements, clearly has not, and never will be another Alex Fergeuson.

The era is over, now you'll be just another big club going through peaks and troughs duking it out with Chelsea and City.

Great input. I haven't a notion what you are on about.

You see unlike the Man Utd 'fans' (and I use the term loosely) We can actually appreciate that football does infact also exist outside our own team.

Don't bother. After a month of the 2011/2012 season, I got into an argument with them about how Phil Jones was the 'best young centre back in the world'.

I was shouted down.

Anyone see Hummels vrs Real or Silva vrs Barca this season btw?

• Advertisement

Ah will you ever pick your thong out of your backside.

Evra is far from the best left-back around. If I had it my way, he would be back in Monaco or going up and down the wings for Shelbourne.

But he did have a decent season.

And that's exactly what makes you a stereotypical United fan ;).

It will become apparent, don't worry.

But just go on believing that Moyes is Fergie mark II if it makes you happy.

It will become apparent, don't worry.

But just go on believing that Moyes is Fergie mark II if it makes you happy.

I don't think anyone said that Moyes is Ferguson Mark II.

So what are you on about?

Decline buddy, decline. Your current manager can't hold a candle to your last one.

It's the elephant in the room in all Man U discussions at the moment.

Decline buddy, decline. Your current manager can't hold a candle to your last one.

Huh? Where did anyone post that Moyes was Ferguson Mark II?

But he IS Scottish. We have to give them that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

No you said that Rab C Nesbitt would be good enough as a manager to keep Man U ahead of Arsenal

greendom wrote: »
    No you said that Rab C Nesbitt would be good enough as a manager to keep Man U ahead of Arsenal

And what's wrong with him? The string vest too much?

I said it in jest.

No mention of Fergie or Moyes.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

In the unlikely event anyone was wondering why I don't post much anymore, these last few pages serve as a pretty good example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dafuq is going on? Do we need to be discussing Fergie/Moyes in the Arsenal thread?

No. No we don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Galvasean wrote: »
    Dafuq is going on? Do we need to be discussing Fergie/Moyes in the Arsenal thread?

No. No we don't.

Oh wow, I killed the thread :pac:

So eh, Arsenal to beat Wigan 2-1....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

When are we even playing, Tuesday?

[edit] yep tuesday, 7:45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I had to check to make sure I wasnt in the United thread just there.

Delighted to see so many new posts, thought something might have happened :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Finish my exams on Tuesday, has to be a good omen!

AdamD wrote: »
    Finish my exams on Tuesday, has to be a good omen!

Hopefully not two failures in the one day :D

I jest of course ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Despite Robin van Persie netting 25 times for United this season, he's still only the 3rd best attacker in Manchester, behind Ken Barlow & Kevin Webster.

Watching the playoff between Palace and Brighton. I think we were linked with Jonathon Williams in the past. Anyone seen him play much? Hasnt had a great first half but seems to have alot of talent.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Watching the playoff between Palace and Brighton. I think we were linked with Jonathon Williams in the past. Anyone seen him play much? Hasnt had a great first half but seems to have alot of talent.

He went off injured. He would fit right in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Wilfred Zaha not looking too good tonight either.
    Saw him a few times lately and he looked o.k. but failed to impress tonight.

Villa and Ardiles on tv again, talk about getting mileage out of a cup win. 30 years later and they're still droning on about it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

sport.es is claiming that we are close to signing Higuain. There are more reliable sites out there and I would have thought €22 million is a little on the low side....

http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/mercado-de-fichajes/higuain-esta-paso-fichar-por-arsenal-2387148

Champions League next year is a must, apparently

Wilfred Zaha not looking too good tonight either.
    Saw him a few times lately and he looked o.k. but failed to impress tonight.

Sure he's going to be United's saviour on the wings next season don't you know :pac:.
    sport.es is claiming that we are close to signing Higuain. There are more reliable sites out there and I would have thought €22 million is a little on the low side....

http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/mercado-de-fichajes/higuain-esta-paso-fichar-por-arsenal-2387148

Silly season really has started so far were signing Higuain, Jovetic and Rooney, our new tactics score ****loads defend none.

Another 'source' claiming he's going to Juve! Meanwhile Guillem Balague has claimed that Pellegrini to City is a done deal and that he will take Isco with him. It's shaping up to be a fascinating summer.

Yossi is out of contract at Chelsea this summer. He was really good for us last season but the wage he's apparently on is stupid. 90k a week! Cut that roughly in half and I'll be happy to have him back. The fact that he hasnt continued that form this season might see him willing to take a cut.

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Yossi is out of contract at Chelsea this summer. He was really good for us last season but the wage he's apparently on is stupid. 90k a week! Cut that roughly in half and I'll be happy to have him back. The fact that he hasnt continued that form this season might see him willing to take a cut.

Would you really take him back? He works hard and has an admirable character but he didn't even feature heavily for us when on loan he was a bit part player at mostI think a lot of people look on Yossi time with us with rose tinted glasses, he wasn't good enough then to get in the team he certainly wont be good enough now we have a stronger midfield with Wilshere and Cazorla in there.

Would you really take him back? He works hard and has an admirable character but he didn't even feature heavily for us when on loan he was a bit part player at mostI think a lot of people look on Yossi time with us with rose tinted glasses, he wasn't good enough then to get in the team he certainly wont be good enough now we have a stronger midfield with Wilshere and Cazorla in there.

Not at 90k a week. A more reasonable number and I would take him back. Any time he played, he played very well I thought. Would be more reliable than Diaby for a start.

Not at 90k a week. A more reasonable number and I would take him back. Any time he played, he played very well I thought. Would be more reliable than Diaby for a start.

Yeh like I said he did work hard when on the pitch, but Wenger didn't want him off Chelsea then I doubt he will take him now.

Someone in a wheelchair with chronic leprosy would be more reliable than Diaby ;).

Yeh like I said he did work hard when on the pitch, but Wenger didn't want him off Chelsea then I doubt he will take him now.

Someone in a wheelchair with chronic leprosy would be more reliable than Diaby ;).
    Was it not that Chelsea wouldnt sell to us after he helped us so much? If he's out of contract they have no say.

That was the story I heard anyway.

Was it not that Chelsea wouldnt sell to us after he helped us so much? If he's out of contract they have no say.

That was the story I heard anyway.

I could be wrong but from what I gathered as soon as his loan was up he went back as we had no interest in making it a permanent move. I may stand to be corrected though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement