Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Am I the only one that thinks we'll be spending no where near 70 million, a player or 2 and a net spend of 15-25 should see us fourth next season with a little more comfort than if we make it this season.

The only way we'll compete is if some rich guy puts stupid money into us, which is funnily our minority share holder said he'd do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Was it not that Chelsea wouldnt sell to us after he helped us so much? If he's out of contract they have no say.

That was the story I heard anyway.

true and they wouldn't give us Essien on loan either. The meanies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

bad2dabone wrote: »
    true and they wouldn't give us Essien on loan either. The meanies.

A quick google search indicates we didn't want to sign him nothing saying Chelsea wouldn't allow him ;).

Essien your right because they knew he would most certainly have started a lot of games for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Huh? Where did anyone post that Moyes was Ferguson Mark II?

they didn't.

But you're talking about Arsenal needing serious investment to close the gap.

My point is this..

Arsenal could pick their arses for the summer, sign no players, finish with exactly the same points total next season and I guarantee that the gap will be closed significantly.

You're ignoring that fact.

From rereading your posts, you're basically saying that if Utd reinvest a bit, there won't be any great change with Moyes at the helm - ergo, Moyes will do what Fergie did.

So you're thinking that Moyes will produce another potentially record premiership points total season in his first year at a big club while balancing Europe with domestic trophies.

I disagree. Regardless of investment I don't think Moyes is capable this season of producing the results that Fergie did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks we'll be spending no where near 70 million, a player or 2 and a net spend of 15-25 should see us fourth next season with a little more comfort than if we make it this season.

The only way we'll compete is if some rich guy puts stupid money into us, which is funnily our minority share holder said he'd do

Thinking 20-30m net spend myself. 2014 was always the 'promised land', all of the deals we signed seem to start then. This year we just have Emirates + new TV money. 20-30m would be very good though IMO, considering 10m was spent on Monreal which would have been spent in the summer and more importantly we've never had a window where our net spends been ever remotely close to 30m so by our standards thats huge investment and I'd expect improvements given what Wenger's doing on breakeven spending.

20-30 could in theory get Jovetic + 2 10 million players if we get roughly 10m in sales from all of our deadweight. Jovetic + DM + Defender/GK please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Lets spend a few bob on Benteke

Serious player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Serious player
    Away out of that :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Serious player

Pretty sure he's a gooner too. Would rather him over Jovetic tbh.

true:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2233798/Christian-Benteke-I-love-Arsenal-thought-Aston-Villa-based-London.html

spend the money Arsene.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Should buy both tbh, Jovetic plays a bit deeper from what I've been told. Him with either Benteke or Giroud playing ahead of him would have us pretty well stocked up front next season. Can't see it happening though of course :(

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Well feck it, 3rd was looking on again for 89 minutes.

Damn you Villa :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

That's Chelsea home and hosed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Chelsea players have a great work ethic. Really playing for each other and bursting a gut to support a player on the break. Players powering into the penalty area time and time again to maybe get on the end of a ball.

Some of our players could learn from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Right down to us or Spurs...

Right now lets hope Wigan play there socks of today and there all knackered during the week, hate playing teams fighting relegation in the last few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

At least we have control over what happens. And if we can't beat two teams ranked 17th and 18th in the league then we don't really deserve a Champions League spot.
    I know you can say that they will be fighting for their lives but Wigan lost to Swansea at home, a Swansea team with nothing to play for. So we really should be expecting to beat them. Hopefully then the Newcastle game will be a dead rubber if they get a result when they play next.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

We cannot afford any complacency now..... 2 wins or nothing. Chelsea home and dry more than likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

3rd was looking like a great possibility until Bentke's red. Ah well, once we get yo have a St. Tottingham's Day...

• Advertisement

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    We cannot afford any complacency now..... 2 wins or nothing. Chelsea home and dry more than likely.

THey played pretty bad today regardless of the result, so I wouldn't rule out Everton doing us a favour. Moyes will want to leave on a high too I'm sure. Either way though, there's no room for error for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

We done our part, now beat Wigan ffs and keep Spurs out of the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

GavRedKing wrote: »
    We done our part, now beat Wigan ffs and keep Spurs out of the top 4.

Always wondered why Chelsea fans dislike us more than Arsenal?

KingdomYid wrote: »

Just good old fashioned rivalry I would say.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Just good old fashioned rivalry I would say.

Ya get ya, but are Arsenal not London rivals too? Anyway is up to them who they dislike more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I've an uncle whos a HUGE Spurs fan and a handful of friends, so I'd be more biased towards Spurs then Arsenal in that regard

Of all the London teams I despise QPR the most though, in the last 2 seasons they've probably taken more points off us then Arsenal and Spurs.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I've an uncle whos a HUGE Spurs fan and a handful of friends, so I'd be more biased towards Spurs then Arsenal in that regard

Of all the London teams I despise QPR the most though, in the last 2 seasons they've probably taken more points off us then Arsenal and Spurs.

Can't beat good old rivalry and banter ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Serious player

would cost around 25m If I had to guess, Villa would have no intention to sell anyway although yeah he is a fan of Arsenal iirc and made an annoying comment when he first joined Villa mentioning you lads where it sounded like e could use Villa as a stepping stone. He will sign a new deal though in my opinion and be at Villa next year getting first team football in a WC year before I fear we could lose im for big money next summer but sure if thats to happen odds are he will have had another great season and I wont complain about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Chelsea proved me wrong in this run in grinded out results where I thought they would drop points

Credit where credit is due, fair play

Chelsea proved me wrong in this run in grinded out results where I thought they would drop points

Credit where credit is due, fair play

Benitez is a good manager and he has a good squad. Would be interesting to see how far he could take them next season if he didn't have to play twice a week for the year.

I think it's a massive massive plus to him how he's overcome the negativity and got the squad playing for a manager who is largely disliked and will be gone soon. Awesome achievement.

I'd be far more worried about them next year with Benitez rather than the next guy from the managerial merry-go-round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Nasri is a shadow of the player he was at Arsenal. That move has worked out awful for the player and City.

• Advertisement

Montroseee wrote: »
    Nasri is a shadow of the player he was at Arsenal. That move has worked out awful for the player and City.

I don't know about that he only had a few good months at Arsenal other than that he is doing exactly what he done at Arsenal at City flattering to deceive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Everyone hates spurs? :P:D:pac:

From Wiki:
    "According to the 2003 Football Fans Census, Fulham and QPR fans regard Chelsea as their main rivals, each other as their secondary rivals and then Brentford third. Brentford fans identified QPR as their main rivals, Fulham second and Brighton & Hove Albion third. Chelsea fans did not list any of the trio from West London, instead selecting Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United."

Unofficial local rivals it seems.

Hangover on Tuesday i hope.

dvemail wrote: »

Feck ya you spoke to early so close to them going into extra time. Your a jinx :P.

dvemail wrote: »

Their tails will be up now for sure. Its going to be a tough game for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Wigan deserve to go out on the piss tonight, tomorrow and Monday as a result. Hangover should kick in Tuesday evening :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Delighted for Wigan, would have preferred them to win it in extra time for next Tuesday ;)

Delighted for Wigan. Wish we didn't have to whop them on tuesday night. But we got to.

COME ON STOKE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

COME ON STOKE!

Under normal circumstances you would go to hell for saying that ;)

Feck ya you spoke to early so close to them going into extra time. Your a jinx :P.

?? I posted after the game was finished. :D

• Advertisement

Wow, you gotta love Wigan. It's horrible that we'll effectively relegate then with a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I dunno.....I have to wonder why they always get this form at the end of the season. If I was a Wigan fan I'd be asking questions as to why they only start to play well when relegation looms. Every year......They are gone this year though I'd say.

If they beat us they deserve to stay up and if we can't beat them we don't deserve Champs League.

If they beat us they deserve to stay up and if we can't beat them we don't deserve Champs League.

In fairness their status has just been elevated to FA cup winners, so if we lose then its to a top class team. I am sanguine about it now, as the damage to Arsenal was done earlier in the season.

I dunno.....I have to wonder why they always get this form at the end of the season. If I was a Wigan fan I'd be asking questions as to why they only start to play well when relegation looms. Every year......They are gone this year though I'd say.

They never get enough goals. Benteke would have been a huge asset to them for example had they got him the start of the season. Probably the difference between Villa and Wigan this year Kone not bad but doesnt score enough.

gosplan wrote: »
    Wow, you gotta love Wigan. It's horrible that we'll effectively relegate then with a win.

Not necessarily. Newcastle or Sunderland and Norwich need to win tomorrow. Defeat for one or all 3 would leave it very tasty going into the final weekend. If only we could get Champions league and Wigan stay up but it is unlikely ill admit. Id take us any day of the week it goes without saying but still it would be nice to have both scenarios and send that sickener Pardew packing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Not necessarily. Newcastle or Sunderland and Norwich need to win tomorrow. Defeat for one or all 3 would leave it very tasty going into the final weekend. If only we could get Champions league and Wigan stay up but it is unlikely ill admit. Id take us any day of the week it goes without saying but still it would be nice to have both scenarios and send that sickener Pardew packing

Bet pardew is saying the same thing ref ye lot on the last day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Wouldn't argue with Pardew going down alright. Detestable little man. Hate both him and his little notebook almost as much as Neanderthal Pulis and his baseball hat.

Wouldn't argue with Pardew going down alright. Detestable little man. Hate both him and his little notebook almost as much as Neanderthal Pulis and his baseball hat.

Not to mention the rugby team he manages and the fans not much better.

• Advertisement

Bet pardew is saying the same thing ref ye lot on the last day

Nothing against Newcastle to be honest but i hate that Pardew. Complete and utter idiot of a man. Wenger should give one hell of a fist pump in his direction should we manage to seal his fate

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement