Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Obviously i am desperate for top 4 but I would also love to see Wigan stay up. Not sure why they are in this position every year as they are quite capable of finishing higher, Martinez comes across as a top bloke, one of the most likeable managers in the premiership. Hopefully Stoke can do us a favour, ughhhhhh now i feel dirty...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Montroseee wrote: »
    Nasri is a shadow of the player he was at Arsenal. That move has worked out awful for the player and City.

Nasri has a EPL winners medal and a bigger cheque than he had at Arsenal.
    Nothing awful about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

He's still not half the player he was when at Arsenal, he didn't exactly put much into City winning any of those. It's like slapping Song on the back for winning La Liga when he has done flip all, I think that is the point been made.

Many players have left Arsenal and won titles yes, but really the teams won them and they happened to be there. Not a whole lot of the Arsenal "stars" (probably were for us but not in a superstar way globally) have been individually great since leaving.

Cole and van Persie have been fantastic for their respective clubs if we are to be fair, and Flamini used to get a good few games for Milan but not sure what he's at now. Anelka ruined himself by all that moving around - never stayed settled to become an icon at any club and he had it in him. Remains to be seen what happens with Fabregas.

Basically, a lot of our ex-players might be remembered for being squad members of winning teams as opposed to been instrumental in them winning anything. If you are going to go, do it like Van Persie and Cole, be a part of it in a big way (says she with a lot of bitterness).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Obviously i am desperate for top 4 but I would also love to see Wigan stay up. Not sure why they are in this position every year as they are quite capable of finishing higher, Martinez comes across as a top bloke, one of the most likeable managers in the premiership. Hopefully Stoke can do us a favour, ughhhhhh now i feel dirty...
    Unfortunately been nice doesn't make you successful in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

What do people reckon is gona happen with regards to Vermaelen this summer/next season? Will we sell him? Will he still be second choice behind mert and Kos? Or will wenger give him a second chance? Can he even come back after such a poor season?

For answers to questions like these tune in, in about 5-10 posts. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Jaafa wrote: »
    What do people reckon is gona happen with regards to Vermaelen this summer/next season? Will we sell him? Will he still be second choice behind mert and Kos? Or will wenger give him a second chance? Can he even come back after such a poor season?

For answers to questions like these tune in, in about 5-10 posts. :P

If we sign a proper DM I think verm/kos will be out best CB pairing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

How good would that be. Can't see it, unless we decide to pay him twice as much as our current highest earner.

769094680.jpg?1368307618

That pic of him in the jersey looks shopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

dvemail wrote: »
    How good would that be. Can't see it, unless we decide to pay him twice as much as our current highest earner.

769094680.jpg?1368307618

Signing Rooney would be a massive step backwards. Basically its us allowing United take our best players and us taking their cast offs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Rooney playing for us would be amazing. A proven winner and one of the best players around. He can change a game single handed when in the mood.

He'll never come to Arsenal though. It would be bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

gandalf wrote: »
    Signing Rooney would be a massive step backwards. Basically its us allowing United take our best players and us taking their cast offs.

Or their best player before we gave them ours. Where's all this Rooney's not good enough stuff coming from exactly? The only player we have close to his quality is Cazorla. There's not a hope in hell we'd sign him anyway.

He still has plenty to give, is being played all over the place at Utd really. He would be the focal point if he ever were to join Arsenal, and i reckon he would prosper greatly. Still easily a 20+ goal a season player, and with the way he can pass a ball would fit in easily.
    If we did manage to get him though, would hope we get the Utd Rooney and not the England one.

He still has plenty to give, is being played all over the place at Utd really. He would be the focal point if he ever were to join Arsenal, and i reckon he would prosper greatly. Still easily a 20+ goal a season player, and with the way he can pass a ball would fit in easily.
    If we did manage to get him though, would hope we get the Utd Rooney and not the England one.

If we signed him anyways he would probable get injured on international duty and be out for 3 weeks (9 months).

HazDanz wrote: »
    If we signed him anyways he would probable get injured on international duty and be out for 3 weeks (9 months).

Out with the horse placenta.
    Good as new. cool.png

Out with the horse placenta.
    Good as new. cool.png

It did wonders for his hair in fairness.

But he said he left to win things as if he was going to sweep the board. He has won jack all and to make matters worse he hasnt even contributed. I for one am glad that he has been shown up for the money grabbing unambitious waster that he is. He had no more care for City winning then Adebayor to be honest. Karma is a bitch Sammy so enjoy yours

That pic of him in the jersey looks shopped.

Ha ha ah no now some journo has climbed up the ivy and snapped him in his room wearing the red and white :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

You'd wonder how satisfied you'd be with the medal if you were the likes of Song. Like obviously it's great to be able to say have one something like a la liga medal, but I'd imagine it'd be more hollow. Probably doesn't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

But he said he left to win things as if he was going to sweep the board. He has won jack all and to make matters worse he hasnt even contributed. I for one am glad that he has been shown up for the money grabbing unambitious waster that he is. He had no more care for City winning then Adebayor to be honest. Karma is a bitch Sammy so enjoy yours

he's won the league with them last season - not jack all

made 31 appearances in the league (more than he ever did in the league for arsenal in a season) had 5 goals & 9 assists that season (combined that's more than he had in a season for arsenal)

a little unfair to say he didn't contribute at all to their title & it's not the most ludicrous thought that you'd be winning everything joining a club with city's owners

+ Nasri said recently that he was sold for the money. I think that's a telling statement he came out with; that summer Wenger said you can't be considered a big club if you sell your best players - remember, something along those lines anyway. Fabregas was sold to Barca & then at the end of the transfer window Nasri was sold to city.
    I think it backs up the thinking that it's the board & not Wenger making the decisions to get rid of them, rather than let them leave for free after another year & backs up the theories that the 'big club' was a dig/whatever you want to call it at the board by wenger. i think wenger wanted to keep one of them at all costs

i know the counter arguments are 'he's a money grabbing cúnt' & the better one is 'it was his last year on a contract, the right decision by the club.'
    The latter's more solid but like i said above think wenger wanted to keep at least one of them that summer & he didn't release a statement like V.Persie did leaving no other option effectively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Jesus,First a shop of Rooney in a Chelsea kit in the daily mail and now Arsenal.Who's next?I'll go for Liverpool,Exchange for Suarez:pac:

Anyone have any thought's on who's next to break through to the first team?Thomas Eisfeld and Chuba Akprom both look promising,Fairly doubtful either can command a spot in their position at this stage though.Imagine the tantrum Walcott would pull if a 17 year old was given a chance in the out and out role before him:D

• Advertisement

Right so Wigan didn't go out last night and won't be celebrating the cup win until next Sunday so we can put any ideas of a hangover out of our heads.

They will be well up nor Tuesday but we have had 10 days so no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

bradlente wrote: »
    Jesus,First a shop of Rooney in a Chelsea kit in the daily mail and now Arsenal.Who's next?I'll go for Liverpool,Exchange for Suarez:pac:

Anyone have any thought's on who's next to break through to the first team?Thomas Eisfeld and Chuba Akprom both look promising,Fairly doubtful either can command a spot in their position at this stage though.Imagine the tantrum Walcott would pull if a 17 year old was given a chance in the out and out role before him:D

I think the two closet to the first team are bellerin and gnarby
    But prob need a loan spell next year though

batistuta9 wrote: »
    he's won the league with them last season - not jack all

made 31 appearances in the league (more than he ever did in the league for arsenal in a season) had 5 goals & 9 assists that season (combined that's more than he had in a season for arsenal)

a little unfair to say he didn't contribute at all to their title & it's not the most ludicrous thought that you'd be winning everything joining a club with city's owners

Perhaps i am, but last year he made a dig at Arsenal that he left to win things, but to be honest City haven't left us in their dust by any means and are every bit as spectacular at making a pigs ear of things it would seem.
    They were fortunate in winning the league by mere Goal difference against an average United side last May and were second best overall yesterday. They are still only a project, no better or worse than ourselves. Mancini also said that Nasri was only giving 50% of what he is fully capable of so it annoys me to hear Sammy's cheap digs at Arsenal considering that we gave him a window to showcase his talents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Right so Wigan didn't go out last night and won't be celebrating the cup win until next Sunday so we can put any ideas of a hangover out of our heads.

They will be well up nor Tuesday but we have had 10 days so no excuses.

I still think Wigan will be at a major disadvantage I don't think they'll be properly recovered f emotionally or phisically. If the situation was reversed l'd be majorly pissed off with the FA for staging such an important game so soon after their so called showcase" -and its worse for Wigan with a much smaller squad than ours. Still I'll take the 3 points thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

greendom wrote: »
    I still think Wigan will be at a major disadvantage I don't think they'll be properly recovered f emotionally or phisically. If the situation was reversed l'd be majorly pissed off with the FA for staging such an important game so soon after their so called showcase" -and its worse for Wigan with a much smaller squad than ours. Still I'll take the 3 points thank you very much.

They played out of their absolute skins as well - hope they are tired and we're not complacent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Maire2009 wrote: »
    They played out of their absolute skins as well - hope they are tired and we're not complacent!

Yes they'll probably be buzzing for the first 30 minutes or so so its essential we don't give them anything in that period. They should be there for the taking as the game goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If the Spurs game happens to be close lets not post about it ;)
    We've recently had Chelsea's late goals v Villa and United and Spurs late goals v Chelsea, Southampton, Wigan and Man City.

Possible tweet of interest: Darren ‏@DarrenArsenal1 1h
    We could sign two "rooney" type players and not increase current wage bill given players leaving and selling in summer.Circa £300k wk saving

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

If we shift on our deadwood we'll be saving in the region of 350k a week in wages. We've really signed some rubbish over the past few seasons on 50 to 60k a week wages.

If we get any one of the 3 strikers we have been linked with recently it would be a massive improvement to our cause.

• Advertisement

bad2dabone wrote: »
    If we shift on our deadwood we'll be saving in the region of 350k a week in wages. We've really signed some rubbish over the past few seasons on 50 to 60k a week wages.

Getting buyers will be tricky though thats the thing. How many are out of contract? Arshavin for one but is Chamakh?

That bloody Santos is the one who infuriates me most.

Getting buyers will be tricky though thats the thing. How many are out of contract? Arshavin for one but is Chamakh?

I think Park is probably the worst of the bunch.

He did win an EPL in his first season away from us.

Only realised stoke are safe, Feck it anyway.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Only realised stoke are safe, Feck it anyway.

Same as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

nobody SAY NOTHIN!

• Advertisement

SSShhhhhh now.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

AdamD wrote: »

Possible tweet of interest: Darren ‏@DarrenArsenal1 1h
    We could sign two "rooney" type players and not increase current wage bill given players leaving and selling in summer.Circa £300k wk saving

So lets go for Ronaldo and give it all to him :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

A huge amount iirc.

Denison, Squillaci, Chamakh, Arshavin, Fabianski.

Listen to John Cross on arseblog last week. He talked about a huge wage saving and gave details.

hands-over-mouth1.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Hope Big Al gets back to premiership with Watford. He's had a good season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Spurs equalise and are well on top atm, can't rely on those potters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Montroseee wrote: »
    Spurs equalise and are well on top atm, can't rely on those potters.

Damn it man, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

No ambition at this club letting a top goalkeeper like Almunia go :pac:

Nothings changed, gotta to win are 2 remaining games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Almunia has just become a cult hero at Watford, delighted for the guy :D

With Charlie Adam gone, this games a dead leg.

Have to focus on us now and win the next two games.

Simple as that.

Gringo180 wrote: »

Hah, I saw. Hell of a way to finish a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Gringo180 wrote: »

What he do?

What he do?

2-2 on aggregate well into injury time, he saves a penalty (and the rebound) and then throws ball upfield and watford score the winner straight away.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement