Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Jesus that's a lucky goal. Hes miles offside too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Newcastle loosing, really don't wanna go up there looking for a win on the last day, actually they are there for a reason, should be no excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Things really just won't go our way will they.

Thankfully it's in our hands.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Was always coming after the sending off, pretty much a re-run of yesterday.

Ref has been very poor, spurs players doing a lot of diving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Was always coming after the sending off, pretty much a re-run of yesterday.

Such a fluke of a goal though, still though its in our hands and can blame non one if we manage to mess it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

bad2dabone wrote: »
    nobody SAY NOTHIN!

Can I say something?

Can I say something?

If I was you I wouldn't yet it's still in our hands ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Not feeling it lads, hate to say it but could be their year :(

• Advertisement

If I was you I wouldn't yet it's still in our hands ;).

Ssssshhhh don't say anything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Cripes we are just not going to get a break this season. Spurs fluke it again and the way luck is going for them, they may well edge us to 4th spot. All to do 2 wins, nothing less.

That toon game today is key for both of us..if they need something last day could be a sticky game for ye. If they don't ye will steam roll them

That was annoying due to the luck involved, still though, a hungover Wigan and 17th place Newcastle. We can definitely win those matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

That toon game today is key for both of us..if they need something last day could be a sticky game for ye. If they don't ye will steam roll them

I actually want qpr to win. I'd love to see us win both games and Wigan to beat villa to stay up. We put Newcastle down and keep spuds in their place. Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Cripes we are just not going to get a break this season. Spurs fluke it again and the way luck is going for them, they may well edge us to 4th spot. All to do 2 wins, nothing less.

Sick of the late goals. Had a quick look at their last 6 games, 8 from their 12 goals were scored at 75 mins or later. :(

Gunners still gonna grab 4th though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

We play the teams in 18th (three days after their biggest game in recent memory) and 17th (a team we put seven past earlier this season). If Newcastle win today and we beat Wigan on Tuesday, thats Wigan down leaving Newcastle with nothing to play for on the last day.

We're unbeaten in eight, with six wins in that. Two draws against Everton and the Champions. We've only lost three games in 2013.

It's in our own hands, we're in very good form, and yet people are still so negative.

I'm just waiting to dip into the spurs thread on st totteringhams day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Nothing changes win 2 were in
    Easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Newcastle win was ideal. Less chance of the Pardrew Prick Punch coming out in the final game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Spurs won their "slip up" today. Arsenal must now beat Wigan. Newcastle should be a walk in the park on paper. Then again football just isn't like that. I just see Wigan throwing a spanner in the works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Spurs won their "slip up" today. Arsenal must now beat Wigan. Newcastle should be a walk in the park on paper. Then again football just isn't like that. I just see Wigan throwing a spanner in the works.

A win away to Stoke is always a great result. Wigan game will be tough as they'll be on a high and away to Pardew is never gonna be easy for us! Always better to have points on the board at this stage, advantage Spurs.

L'prof wrote: »
    A win away to Stoke is always a great result. Wigan game will be tough as they'll be on a high and away to Pardew is never gonna be easy for us! Always better to have points on the board at this stage, advantage Spurs.

Thats Boll*x ..out of our hands...advantage arsenal

Beat Wigan and they are down meaning Newcastle have nothing to play for on the last day. Win on Tuesday and I reckon we're as good as in.

EDIT: Wigan play Villa on the last day so Newcastle are already safe. They will hopefully be on holidays when we play them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Thats Boll*x ..out of our hands...advantage arsenal

It's not at all, we're very capable but I'd still prefer to have the points on the board.

One good thing about the Wigan game is even a draw wont really do it for them meaning they will have to come at us and go for the win which should make for an open game which normally suits us.

One good thing about the Wigan game is even a draw wont really do it for them meaning they will have to come at us and go for the win which should make for an open game which normally suits us.

Draw and they are down I think. They have to win so wont be sitting back. We need to be awake from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Get a grip lads.
    Neither Wigan or Newcastle will be easy games.
    Wigan will be all out to save themselves from relegation and Newcastle will be trying to win for their fans as they pay their wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Perhaps i am, but last year he made a dig at Arsenal that he left to win things, but to be honest City haven't left us in their dust by any means and are every bit as spectacular at making a pigs ear of things it would seem.
    They were fortunate in winning the league by mere Goal difference against an average United side last May and were second best overall yesterday. They are still only a project, no better or worse than ourselves. Mancini also said that Nasri was only giving 50% of what he is fully capable of so it annoys me to hear Sammy's cheap digs at Arsenal considering that we gave him a window to showcase his talents

It's probably why he left though or at least a cofactor. Arsenal look no closer today to winning something than they did 2 years ago when he left

i can't remember now if he said that first or as a response to being called everything under the sun by arsenal fans for leaving but Nasri's a spiky enough character so wouldn't surprise me if it was in response to the fans criticising him.
    Though either way i'd say that's primarily why he left, he was giving his reason for leaving which may have been a bit of a dig but it's true

who honestly thinks players want to stay at arsenal for their career winning fúck all when they've the chance to win stuff elsewhere?

this average man u stuff is nonsense, if they were average last year & lost a title on GD and average this year then what does that say about everyone else?

man city may be a project but they are ahead of arsenal. "no better or worse than ourselves" one too many sips of wine at mass this morning had you :pac:

Newcastle will be trying to win for their fans as they pay their wages.

Why would they only start doing that now? :confused:

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Draw and they are down I think. They have to win so wont be sitting back. We need to be awake from the start.

That what I meant im hungover maybe I didnt word it right :o. But I think thats good for us Wigan coming at us should mean they will leave plenty of space at the back they do that and we have the players who can make them pay for it.

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »

this average man u stuff is nonsense, if they were average last year & lost a title on GD and average this year then what does that say about everyone else?

man city may be a project but they are ahead of arsenal. "no better or worse than ourselves" one too many sips of wine at mass this morning had you :pac:

Whatever about the rest that United team is nothing special they won a very poor league this year were every team was doing there best to screw themselves over. The EPL standards have dropped in recent seasons and Ferguson was/ is a master of getting the best out of his teams and players and bulding a team spirit and ethic.

Put that United team in the league from the early 2000's and United, Chelsea and Arsenal teams of that time would destroy them.

Im not saying well be challenging next year I hope we will be closer but with rumours of Mourninho and Pellegrini coming to the league and Ferguson gone I'd expect a much tighter league and a lot of activity in the transfer window. Hopefully we can be closer and at least challenge for a while aswell but the transfer window will have a lot of say in that.

Why would they only start doing that now? :confused:

Pressure off. Fans to please. Careers to try and save. Contracts to fight for.

Do you not remember West Ham who had nothing to play for preventing United from winning the title the year Blackburn triumphed? Blkackburn lost to Liverpool who had little to gain either. It's called sportsmanship, trying your best to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Getting buyers will be tricky though thats the thing. How many are out of contract? Arshavin for one but is Chamakh?
    gosplan wrote: »
    A huge amount iirc.

Denison, Squillaci, Chamakh, Arshavin, Fabianski.

Listen to John Cross on arseblog last week. He talked about a huge wage saving and gave details.

didn't listen to the arseblog podcast yet though, so may be wrong but from what i remember about players who will/might go:

Squillaci - out of contract
    Arshavin - out of contract
    Fabianski - 90% sure he's out of contract, possibly looking to leave anyway
    mannone - was looking to leave to play, still under contract i think
    Denilson - 1 year left i think, last i heard Sao Paulo won't be keeping him
    Chamakh - still under contract, probably couldn't give him away though
    bendtner - still under contract
    Park - still under contract
    Djourou - still under contract, best hope of being sold i think
    Santos - still under contract, say he'll be gone, WC year, might be loaned back to brazil if not moved on permanent
    Sagna - 1 year left, think he'll be sold
    the usual number of youths/reserves going

My own thoughts:
    frimpong - chance he could be sold
    coquelin - as above
    then there's the inevitable loss of someone you'd rather not go:
    vermaelen - rather he stayed & got pushed down to 4th choice
    koscielny - linked to bayern
    podolski - strangely is being linked with a move, galatasary being one

See what van p said, he hadn't worked with class players like henry bergcamp pires, until he came to united, we hear you van p, our standards have dropped immensely.

See what van p said, he hadn't worked with class players like henry bergcamp pires, until he came to united, we hear you van p, our standards have dropped immensely.

Sad but true. But we've built the stadium and cleared our obligations, our future looks very bright.

Indeed they have and a combination of not spending and Mr. Wenger's obduracy in thinking that his way would bear fruit in the end. The world does not stop whilst the club is trying to find direction and to compete. We should have bought quality as well. There are an awful lot of poor players at Arsenal on the payroll that should have been let go, and replaced 2 good players. A right sort out is needed whether we qualify for CL or not.

Batistuta9 lists many of those above.

It seems Rooney has actually made a transfer request after all. Still dont think we'll be able to afford his wages though. Will be a huge signing for whoever gets him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

It seems Rooney has actually made a transfer request after all. Still dont think we'll be able to afford his wages though. Will be a huge signing for whoever gets him.

Rooney would not be a good signing for us

Too lazy, too financially motivated (Ca$hley/ Na$ri anyone).

Also he is not tall, not quick, and not as good as RVP was. Can't see us breaking our wage structure for rooney.

Never thought I'd say this a couple of years ago but I hope we dont sign him!

Max Power1 wrote: »

Also he is not tall, not quick, and not as good as RVP was. Can't see us breaking our wage structure for rooney.

I'd take him in a heartbeat. Hes miles better than any forwards we have and I don't think we could attract anyone better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

AdamD wrote: »
    I'd take him in a heartbeat. Hes miles better than any forwards we have and I don't think we could attract anyone better.

Even at his wages? Rumored to be 250k per week? I think it would not be a great deal even if he were signed on a free transfer.

Really, really I would hope we don't. Plus, he is 27 now and I predict he will shortly hit the "Michael Owen post Liverpool" decline. And he was never the clinical finisher Owen was to begin with.

If we break the structure for anyone it should be for the likes of Casillas or Villa (Both of which we were linked with recently and who would be fantastic signings in positions of immediate need)

Even at his wages? Rumored to be 250k per week?

Really, really I would hope we don't. Plus, he is 27 now and I predict he will shortly hit the "Michael Owen post Liverpool" decline. And he was never the clinical finisher Owen was to begin with.

If we break the structure for anyone it should be for the likes of Casillas or Villa (Both of which we were linked with recently and who would be fantastic signings in positions of immediate need)

Hes better than Villa and would probably be on similar wages were we to sign either. Doubt we'd be giving either anything over 150k mind. Villa's far closer to retirement than Rooney too. Even with the talks about a decline etc hes got 12 goals and 10 assists in 24 league games with very few of those as as striker. Last season he scored 27 in 34 as a striker. I just don't buy the decline talk.

I agree. He would be difficult to manage and will always be a Red no matter who he plays for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

AdamD wrote: »
    Hes better than Villa and would probably be on similar wages were we to sign either. Doubt we'd be giving either anything over 150k mind. Villa's far closer to retirement than Rooney too. Even with the talks about a decline etc hes got 12 goals and 10 assists in 24 league games with very few of those as as striker. Last season he scored 27 in 34 as a striker. I just don't buy the decline talk.

I don't know if he is better than Villa, but to a certain degree he reminds me of Arshavin, bags of talent but really just couldn't be bothered.

It could be that he just feels unappreciated at Utd and if he moved he could return to the player he once was. But considering that we will just be after shifting Arshavin, I don't know that we want to potentially buy a direct replacement for him straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

In my opinion rooney still one of the best players in the world it feels like hes done nothing the last few years but he just lost out in top goalscorer to rvp last year. Its clear hes not enjoying himself at united the last while and doesnt feel apreciated.
    Would he suit arsenal i dont know to be honest but he is a top top top player and to compare him to arshavin is outragous. The chances of him coming to us at arsenal are non existant anyway if you ask me

In my opinion rooney still one of the best players in the world it feels like hes done nothing the last few years but he just lost out in top goalscorer to rvp last year. Its clear hes not enjoying himself at united the last while and doesnt feel apreciated.
    Would he suit arsenal i dont know to be honest but he is a top top top player and to compare him to arshavin is outragous. The chances of him coming to us at arsenal are non existant anyway if you ask me

Well his nose is clearly out of joint. Maybe its having to compete for his place with the likes of RVP and has not lived up to his wages. Reality comes to everybody in the end. It might be hard for Rooney to fit in anywhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Reckon Rooney is more likely to go to Chelsea if he does stay in England.
    Strong rumors that Falcao is off to Monaco in the summer (chasing the biggest prize of all :pac:) so unless Chelsea go for Cavani, they may have a pop a Rooney.

Are we linked to anyone at all now?
    All the rumours seem to have dried up which would lead me to believe there was no truth in them in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

All the rumours seem to have dried up which would lead me to believe there was no truth in them in the first place.

I'd say Jovetic is done.
    To be honest we will have to see where we finish at the end of the season.

Getting Champions league would open up a lot more options.

The uncertainty of qualification for the CL will hold off any transfer news, as some of those possible targets will not be interested if we fail.

Looks like Fiorentina won't be getting CL so hopefully if we do that will seal that particular deal..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement