Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

AdamD wrote: »
    Looks like Fiorentina won't be getting CL so hopefully if we do that will seal that particular deal..

Ah I forgot it's only the top 3 there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Jack should be back to full fitness on Tuesday. Hoping hes back to his best, remembered this performance against Swansea:

Ran the game that night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Are we linked to anyone at all now?
    All the rumours seem to have dried up which would lead me to believe there was no truth in them in the first place.

Didn't they open renewals when all these rumours were in the papers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Yep Ade remember what club you got to experience the champions league with, talking ****e on motd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I agree. He would be difficult to manage and will always be a Red no matter who he plays for.

Copy of Rooney's transfer request -

945271_447125245378318_323629172_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Copy of Rooney's transfer request -

Reminds me of this;

A_zeKz0CAAE5kIi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I was convinced Spurs would drop points in the run in. Fair play to them, as hard as it is to say. No excuses for us. 2 very winnable games. Let's get the job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

keano_afc wrote: »
    I was convinced Spurs would drop points in the run in. Fair play to them, as hard as it is to say. No excuses for us. 2 very winnable games. Let's get the job done.

After pardews comments earlier its as good as over...he's a disgrace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

What did he say?

wonga77 wrote: »
    What did he say?

He doesn't care if Newcastle lose 4-0 to arsenal next week...shouldn't be saying that ****e in public..

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    It's probably why he left though or at least a cofactor. Arsenal look no closer today to winning something than they did 2 years ago when he left

i can't remember now if he said that first or as a response to being called everything under the sun by arsenal fans for leaving but Nasri's a spiky enough character so wouldn't surprise me if it was in response to the fans criticising him.
    Though either way i'd say that's primarily why he left, he was giving his reason for leaving which may have been a bit of a dig but it's true

who honestly thinks players want to stay at arsenal for their career winning fúck all when they've the chance to win stuff elsewhere?

this average man u stuff is nonsense, if they were average last year & lost a title on GD and average this year then what does that say about everyone else?

man city may be a project but they are ahead of arsenal. "no better or worse than ourselves" one too many sips of wine at mass this morning had you :pac:

I dont go to mass and i hate wine :pac:

To be honest though they have won nothing considering all the investment and big names they have. Ok their league position is bigger but Id much prefer to be an institution Arsenal any day of the week. Nasri's will come and go but Arsenal will be here forever.

I do envy United though. They are like the kid who gets spoiled at Christmas while we are relying on hand me downs

Wouldnt trust that creature tbh. Take no chances and put them to the sword but if they genuinely do go about things like that then it shows you the clueless buffoon they have managing the club.

If he was any way in charge he'd be telling these players he paid millions for to prove their worth to NUFC.

If England want to know why they win nothing its because they have idiots like him as one of the many Premier League managers. He'll probably end up with a FA development job knowing the insanity that organisation is ran with

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Big game tomorrow. need to win. simple as that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Get the excuses in early eh?

Its far from over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The higher Newcastle finish the biggger the prize money.

Pardew should be aiming to finish as high as he can TBH.

Dont like him, I think hes a bluffer, hate the way he celebrates every goal practically in the face of the other manager and hate his smug face.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The higher Newcastle finish the biggger the prize money.

Pardew should be aiming to finish as high as he can TBH.

Dont like him, I think hes a bluffer, hate the way he celebrates every goal practically in the face of the other manager and hate his smug face.

Spot on. Couldn't a win over Arsenal depending on results of course jump them 5 or 6 spots? Thats 3 million extra in prize money. I'm sure his owner would give a fcuk about that !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Spot on. Couldn't a win over Arsenal depending on results of course jump them 5 or 6 spots? Thats 3 million extra in prize money. I'm sure his owner would give a fcuk about that !!!

Ya its so tight between the bottom few clubs that any win boosts them up the table, from Sunderland in 17th to Stoke in 11th theres only 2 points seperating each time, a win is huge for positions and as you said money it brings.

Its not a foregone conclusion but no manager should come out in publinc and say they dont care, whether its Harry and the relegated QPR or Fergie and the champions, a win is a win.

I wonder is it a sign of an impending exit by Pardew and hes frustarted or is it related to how poor they've been this year in comparisson to last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Hes better than Villa and would probably be on similar wages were we to sign either. Doubt we'd be giving either anything over 150k mind. Villa's far closer to retirement than Rooney too. Even with the talks about a decline etc hes got 12 goals and 10 assists in 24 league games with very few of those as as striker. Last season he scored 27 in 34 as a striker. I just don't buy the decline talk.

Hardly better than villa now tbh, that's crazy talk.

I think Rooney *will* decline shortly. He is 27 now and has already had 10-11 seasons as a top flight player. Owen (similar age/experience/position/hype profile) started his decline at this age.

I can see him moving to City or Chelsea if he stays in the UK, otherwise PSG look likely imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Max Power1 wrote: »

I think Rooney *will* decline shortly. He is 27 now and has already had 10-11 seasons as a top flight player. Owen (similar age/experience/position/hype profile) started his decline at this age.

I can see him moving to City or Chelsea if he stays in the UK, otherwise PSG look likely imo.

Why are you comparing him to Owen? Owen had a horrific injury and was never right after that. Rooney is definitely not in the same position.

Rooney is worldclass and I don't like using that word often. He's probable coming into his prime now age wise, all he wants is to be the focal point of a team which he deserves imo based on his abilities.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya its so tight between the bottom few clubs that any win boosts them up the table, from Sunderland in 17th to Stoke in 11th theres only 2 points seperating each time, a win is huge for positions and as you said money it brings.

Its not a foregone conclusion but no manager should come out in publinc and say they dont care, whether its Harry and the relegated QPR or Fergie and the champions, a win is a win.

I wonder is it a sign of an impending exit by Pardew and hes frustarted or is it related to how poor they've been this year in comparisson to last season.

I think Pardew was just venting his relief at keeping up. He probable should have said nothing but it was clear he was sh*tting it a little that his side might have been going down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Looking at the reported wage figures, we could clear over £500,000 a week if we can get rid of the dead wood this summer. Nearly £200,000 from out of contract players alone (assuming its only the three).

I'm talking about Arshavin (80k), Chamakh (60k), Santos (60k), Denilson (60k), Djourou (50k), Bendtner (50k), Squillaci (50k), Fabianski (50k), Mannone (30k) and Park (50k).

Bar Fabianski, they are all effectively reserve players. If we can get that sorted we might be able to compete in terms of wages.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Owen is the exception, most strikers hit their best years around that age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Owen is the exception, most strikers hit their best years around that age.

But bearing in mind how young Rooney was when he started playing first team football and also that he is not the number one advocate of "my body is a temple", his footballing lifespan will probably be less than the average - time will tell I suppose.

HazDanz wrote: »
    Why are you comparing him to Owen? Owen had a horrific injury and was never right after that. Rooney is definitely not in the same position.

Rooney is worldclass and I don't like using that word often. He's probable coming into his prime now age wise, all he wants is to be the focal point of a team which he deserves imo based on his abilities.

Owen was far more reliant on pace than Rooney is too, Rooney's a very good all round player. Its not crazy talk at all to say hes better than Villa, who is 31 and has had a broken leg. Hes far closer to a decline than Rooney.

Owen was far more reliant on pace than Rooney is too, Rooney's a very good all round player. Its not crazy talk at all to say hes better than Villa, who is 31 and has had a broken leg. Hes far closer to a decline than Rooney.

I do not understrand this decline talk really. As you pointed out earlier he has provided well above average stats in terms of goals and assists in recent years.

I do think he will end up at Chelsea or us. I say he'll do his best to keep in England.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

I'd take Rooney in a heartbeat, but it wont happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

There’s talk of Fabregas to United.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/manchester-united-make-shock-move-for-former-arsenal-captain-cesc-fabregas-8614167.html

Honestly I’d be gutted beyond words if that happened.
    I don’t know if I’d recover from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

bad2dabone wrote: »
    There’s talk of Fabregas to United.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/manchester-united-make-shock-move-for-former-arsenal-captain-cesc-fabregas-8614167.html

Honestly I’d be gutted beyond words if that happened.
    I don’t know if I’d recover from it.

Another move i cant see happening, i'd like to think with his love/history with Arsenal, that he wouldnt go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

We have first refusal apparently. If he's on offer, that should be the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I'd have Rooney over Villa anyday of the week.

Will never happen though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Would Higuain be a good signing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Raf32 wrote: »

Of course... You'd pay a Arm and a Leg for him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

We're not gonna be getting rooney, his price, wages, physical profile, age, attitude etc all mark him out as a signing the boss wouldn't make. Forget about it. We're not even in the running. United will either convince him to stay or shift him abroad. They're not going to move him to a semi rival. Or a real rival like Chelsea. That said I wouldn't be surprised to see him at Tottenham as part of a bale deal when spurs miss out on champs league this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Raf32 wrote: »

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Higuain, jovetic, Rooney

Summer is going well so far :):)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Higuain, jovetic, Rooney

Summer is going well so far :):)

Season not even over yet and the circus is in full swing, it's going to be unbearable.

TheBza wrote: »
    Another move i cant see happening, i'd like to think with his love/history with Arsenal, that he wouldnt go there.

Didn't stop a certain over fella...

Didn't stop a certain over fella...

The whole loyalty thing is very unfair on players I think. We demand their undivided loyalty yet if they perform badly for a few games we insist that they are dropped or even sold on to the highest bidder. We demand loyalty yet we don't reciprocate when it doesn't suit. I think a player is fully entitled to maximise his earnings/glory for his short career. He's seen countless friends and colleagues discarded or had to settle for a career at a lower level and that must generate a certain feeling of vulnerability and a realisation that ruthlessness is required to suceed.

As long as a player gives his all while he is associated with our club I don't think we can ask for any more from a player. So RVP, Nasri, Clichy etc etc fair play to you. And fair play to Fab if he ever chooses to play for Man U.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Season not even over yet and the circus is in full swing, it's going to be unbearable.

At least for once the attention will be on players coming in instead of which big name is leaving this time

I really fcukuing hope we spend in the summer. Il be pissed if we dont. Think we have a really good chance at the league next year if we do.

greendom wrote: »
    The whole loyalty thing is very unfair on players I think. We demand their undivided loyalty yet if they perform badly for a few games we insist that they are dropped or even sold on to the highest bidder. We demand loyalty yet we don't reciprocate when it doesn't suit. I think a player is fully entitled to maximise his earnings/glory for his short career. He's seen countless friends and colleagues discarded or had to settle for a career at a lower level and that must generate a certain feeling of vulnerability and a realisation that ruthlessness is required to suceed.

As long as a player gives his all while he is associated with our club I don't think we can ask for any more from a player. So RVP, Nasri, Clichy etc etc fair play to you. And fair play to Fab if he ever chooses to play for Man U.
    Oh I agree, I thought the booing of van p was pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,121 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

greendom wrote: »

I wish, just like you, I didn't care as much as I do, but truth be known I despise rvp with every fibre of my being. We took him on when no other club in Europe would when Feyenoord wanted rid amid allegations of rape, we stood by him whilst he went through seven long years of persistent injuries and after one good season he decided he was too good for us. He can **** right off and I'll never wish him to have anything but bad luck.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I wish, just like you, I didn't care as much as I do, but truth be known I despise rvp with every fibre of my being. We took him on when no other club in Europe would when Feyenoord wanted rid amid allegations of rape, we stood by him whilst he went through seven long years of persistent injuries and after one good season he decided he was too good for us. He can **** right off and I'll never wish him to have anything but bad luck.

Yes I felt pretty much the same (although maybe not quite as strongly) but I recently read an article by Simon Kuper (actually written when Rooney put in his transfer request first time round) and it made me see the whole transfer thing from the player's perspective and as such with a fair bit more sympathy than previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I think the nature in which a player leaves a club plays a big part on how there's viewed we have had, Henry and fabregas leave and still get plenty of love from the fans along with many other's.

The reason I hate rvp is not because he left but how he went about for a full season all we heard was how much he loved the club from him and his wife aligning himself with the fans then he went and released that statement and regardless of were he had ended up after that statement he was never going to be viewed upon friendly.nor do I see fans booing a player who left under bad circumstances as pathetic now if they had been throwing missiles at him that would be pathetic.

I think the nature in which a player leaves a club plays a big part on how there's viewed we have had, Henry and fabregas leave and still get plenty of love from the fans along with many other's.

The reason I hate rvp is not because he left but how he went about for a full season all we heard was how much he loved the club from him and his wife aligning himself with the fans then he went and released that statement and regardless of were he had ended up after that statement he was never going to be viewed upon friendly.nor do I see fans booing a player who left under bad circumstances as pathetic now if they had been throwing missiles at him that would be pathetic.

Wasn't he an arsenal player when those allegations happend? Arsenal stood by him because he was innocent and they must have known this, make no mistake if they had the slightest suspicion he was guilty they would have fired him. So they done what they were supposed to do.

He went to win trophies not money which was clear when he turned down city, why should he put other peoples happiness ahead of him, he was ambitious and has proved he was right in his choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

He went to win trophies not money which was clear when he turned down city, why should he put other peoples happiness ahead of him, he was ambitious and has proved he was right in his choice.

You clearly didn't read my post properly ;) I never said he shouldn't :confused: I just talked about the nature in which player leaves a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

If the likes of Cesc, Nasri, RVP etc stayed put instead of jumping ship, then we would have been in a lot better position to win trophies than we are in now.

This summer is huge, providing we get Champions league football for next season. We have an opportunity to Spend relatively big with the new sponsership deals etc. Our three rivals above us in the table potentially will all have a new manager at the helm, which brings a certain uncertainty to these clubs.

If Wenger keeps the majority of his squad intact and adds a few top quality players, than we could be in the best position to challenge for honours than we have in the last couple of seasons. Now is the time to loosen the purse strings a bit and be more aggressive transfer wise.

Obviously if we fail to get Champions league than that will offset any potential gains.

You clearly didn't read my post properly ;) I never said he shouldn't :confused: I just talked about the nature in which player leaves a club.

What nature though? He left and that's it, its what happens and he hasn't said anything bad about the club since he left.

What nature though? He left and that's it, its what happens and he hasn't said anything bad about the club since he left.
    The statement. Plus I'm not overlooking the fact the club brought him through all of his injuries, Wenger telling him to be a striker despite him disagreeing (hes now one of the best in the world) and the club sticking by him through the rape scandal etc. no matter how much people tell me its 'bitter' or whatever. He is an example of a player who genuinely owed the club and Wenger a few more years, not 18 months of his best then pissing off.

The statement. Plus I'm not overlooking the fact the club brought him through all of his injuries, Wenger telling him to be a striker despite him disagreeing (hes now one of the best in the world) and the club sticking by him through the rape scandal etc. no matter how much people tell me its 'bitter' or whatever. He is an example of a player who genuinely owed the club and Wenger a few more years, not 18 months of his best then pissing off.

Meh agree to disagree, if he wasn't happy at the club its best for both parties to part, just like any other job.

Anyway massive game tomorrow, very nervous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Quazzie wrote: »
    We took him on when no other club in Europe would when Feyenoord wanted rid amid allegations of rape, we stood by him whilst he went through seven long years of persistent injuries and after one good season he decided he was too good for us.

Well thats gratitude and no good deed goes unpunished, as they say. I do not believe he was injured once this season winning the league for Man Utd. Yet with us a different story. Ferguson probably told him that he does not accept sick notes...ever.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement