Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

We need to beat Newcastle convincly on Sunday, then we will have done all that we can, and hope Everton get something against Chelsea, just need a draw and 2 goal plus to get third. First and foremost, win against Newcastle, anything else a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

We will get 3rd come Sunday

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

iMuse wrote: »
    Ill take 4th

Chelsea to draw
    We will win 3-1

No problem :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

For fourth place:
    Arsenal win, spurs win: we finish fourth.
    Arsenal draw, spurs win: spurs finish fourth.
    Arsenal draw, spurs draw: we finish fourth.
    Arsenal lose, spurs win: spurs finish fourth.
    Arsenal lose, spurs draw: we finish fourth via GD.

Anything less than a win for spurs and we finish fourth, regardless of our result.

As for third:
    Arsenal win, Chelsea draw: Goal difference, currently one goal less than Chelsea.
    Arsenal win, Chelsea lose: we finish third.

They are the only two options for us to finish in third.

Ideal results:
    Arsenal win by a few,
    spurs and Chelsea drop points, doesnt matter how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

We will get 3rd come Sunday

If we win and Everton win we get it.

If we win by 2 or more and Chelsea draw we also get it.

Anything else you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

So....does Giroud come back into the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

No reason why the team shouldn't be able to go out, win and improve GD in their favour. They need to give it their all again on Sunday. Same team, Podolski really stepped up at the end, and Ramsey, well the lad doesn't stopt trying does he.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

keano_afc wrote: »

For me, yes. Podolski might have scored twice but did jack else. Giroud gives us something we miss/need.

We've essentially played without a center forward for 3 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

gnfnrhead wrote: »

As for third:
    Arsenal win, Chelsea draw: Goal difference, currently one goal less than Chelsea.

Spurs can finish third too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

keano_afc wrote: »

he has to come back in. We've missed him big time, I love poldi but he's not as hard workin as ollie and if ollie is a bit rusty or tired poldi can come in and do something.

• Advertisement

Giroud to start on Sunday

Great result. At 1-1 i was 'oh here we go' but the more open the game got it really suited us. Walcott was excellent. Has really arrived this season. I do feel bad for Wigan as they are a great club and will come up again and give all of us football people more memories please god. Hope we can now nail St Totteringham's day for 2013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Technically yes. Realistically never.

Giroud to start on Sunday

Id keep with the same side who are full of confidence and use him off the bench tbh.

Id keep with the same side who are full of confidence and use him off the bench tbh.

Don't like pod through the middle yet he don't offer us enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,121 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If he scores twice every game I'll forgive him. The stupid statements regarding Podolski not offering enough (not just from you) are laughable after a game which he scored twice.

Some people are never happy :rolleyes:

He might be better as a finisher as opposed to be expected to hold it up by make no mistake he is some finisher. Right place, Right time, right result. Decent return for his first season in England in my opinion

Quazzie wrote: »
    If he scores twice every game I'll forgive him. The stupid statements regarding Podolski not offering enough (not just from you) are laughable after a game which he scored twice.

Hard to criticise I no bit it was the same with Walcott earlier in the season
    The goals were covering up how shït there actually playing
    All I mean is of pod don't score on Sunday were basically playing with ten men

The goals had an element of good fortune about them so i can see why the poster may not be in a rush to view Pod as the solution to all our problems, but he is a great finisher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Arteta a major doubt for Sunday - that's a blow - Coquelin has been nowhere near the first team for a while so who to play? Maybe bring Wilshere in and have him Ramsey and Rosicky sharing his duties. Or bring in Vermaelen to sit in front of the defence ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Would love to see:

Walcott ---- Ramsey --- Arteta ---- Cazorla

Giroud ---- Podolski

... at some stage, maybe not Sunday tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

He's there to score and he did that. That's his job done. If he plays terrible on Sunday and returns with two goals in the bag no one will bat an eyelid for his overall performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

He might have scored twice but Giroud as a frontman is significantly better than Podolski in his all round play and the amount of crosses we put in. I wouldn't be against Podolski moving to the wing and putting Cazorla back in the centre with Ramsey and Rosicky.

Reports of Arteta pulling his calf and a major doubt for the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

farna_boy wrote: »
    Would love to see:

Walcott ---- Ramsey --- Arteta ---- Cazorla

Giroud ---- Podolski

... at some stage, maybe not Sunday tho :)

No jack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I only knew it was over when Ramsey scored, another famous death :D

• Advertisement

Either bring in jack and move Ramsey back

Or bring in verm as DM

Not to worried if arteta is injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Really really enjoyed the game tonight.

Kos is a pleasure to watch, and Santi looked ok too :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I'd just play jack. If he's got enough for the bench then he should be ok to start. I also think I'd prefer giroud up top, even though I'm a fan of Podolski

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Interesting stat relayed by the commentators during the match, last 13 games with central pairing of Kos and Mert gone unbeaten, or possible that was belonging of last season, anyone care to clarify?

i'm nearly sure he said arsenal have kept 13 clean sheets and mertesacker has played in all of those

As for third:

They are the only two options for us to finish in third.

if chelsea draw 0-0 & arsenal win 2-1 they'll be a playoff for third

someone posted up the rules in the fantasy football forum there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Giroud has had shocking away form all season.

Pod is a safer choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I wouldnt have Pod up front on his own the weekend either. His hold up play isnt great at all.

Few people have said it already but I would love to give TV a go shielding the defense. Prob not the time for experimenting on Sunday but might be worth a look for next season. Will prob be the reason we dont buy someone! :pac:

batistuta9 wrote: »
    if chelsea draw 0-0 & arsenal win 2-1 they'll be a playoff for third

someone posted up the rules in the fantasy football forum there

Didnt even realise how close they were for goals scored and conceded. When's the last time that happened?

Need about 15 goals for that to happen :D

Thank **** for that. I was relying on text updates from someone not very good at texting, it was quite nerve-wracking to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Please please please lads.
    Focus for the entire game at Newcastle.
    They will not roll over as some think.
    They have their pride and will really put it up to us.
    100% effort from all, please.

Didnt even realise how close they were for goals scored and conceded. When's the last time that happened?

couldn't tell you when it happened last

yeah, them extra few tonight could be important. everton have the most draws in the league too, 15.
    1-1 in that game & arsenal win 3-2 would see it happen as well

any draw in that game even & arsenal winning by a goal would see it happen, from above the starting results just go up by 1
    e.g
    0-0 & 2-1
    1-1 & 3-2
    2-2 & 4-3
    etc.

couldn't see it happening past the 1-1 though

this is what was posted in the other thread, if anyone wants a look at it, assuming it legit don't know for sure though
    C.7. Subject to Rule C.14, if any 2 or more Clubs have scored the same number of
    points, have the same goal difference and have scored the same number of goals
    in League Matches in that Season they shall be deemed to occupy the same
    position in the table.
    B.24

C.14. If at the end of the Season either the League Champions or the Clubs to be relegated
    or the question of qualification for other competitions cannot be determined
    because 2 or more Clubs are equal on points, goal difference and goals scored, the
    Clubs concerned shall play off one or more deciding League Matches on neutral
    grounds, the format, timing and venue of which shall be determined by the Board.B.31

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

No jack?

Not if he is in anyway injured. Plus when both him and Cazorla are playing together they don't seem to gel well (although if Cazorla is out on the left it may be ok).

Going to be much harder this year. van Persie walked it last season, think Song was runner up. Cant remember who came third, might have been Koscielny.

Anyway, the boards.ie Arsenal Player of the Year for 2012/13: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KLW93PM

went for Cazorla

he'll win the one on the clubs site too i think

Meanwhile in North Korea, a certain leader has just been informed of Ramseys rocket

north-korea-s-new-leader-kim-jong-un-cries-as-his-father-north-korea-s-late-leader-kim-jong-il-funeral-image-2-271368809.jpg

• Advertisement

Looking at the free agents this summer, and Honda is one of them. Havent seen much of him lately but I used to be impressed by him. Has he developed much, or gone backwards, does anyone know?

Yossi has been mentioned before. Toure (Kolo, not Yaya) is another. Wouldnt be the worst as back up. Only 32 so he has a few years in him.

no benayoun's or no kolo toure's

the club is hopefully supposed to be getting rid of players sitting around offering nothing
    the last thing we need is to be signing ready made replacements of them

batistuta9 wrote: »
    no benayoun's or no kolo toure's

the club is hopefully supposed to be getting rid of players sitting around offering nothing
    the last thing we need is to be signing ready made replacements of them

In fairness Benny gave absolutely everything for the shirt last season. Might be too late in the day to bring him in now but his contribution to us getting third last year must be acknowledged. He ran his guts out for the club so its unfair to suggest he offered nothing although it is fair to say at his age he would be fairly marginalised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

LOL, here's a Spurs fan that must be hurting this morning. Lost $22,000 on Wigan :eek: :D

izwSLPs.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Didn't back them to win outright though. Losing 1-0 he'd have won, and spurs would be no better off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

And I am pretty sure its not 22,000 US Dollars

In fairness Benny gave absolutely everything for the shirt last season. Might be too late in the day to bring him in now but his contribution to us getting third last year must be acknowledged. He ran his guts out for the club so its unfair to suggest he offered nothing although it is fair to say at his age he would be fairly marginalised

so should Martin Fulop's but i hope he's not brought in either

he's not going to offer anything useful now now though is what i'm saying, not when he played at the club.
    he did OK whenever he played last season, fair enough.

but these type of roles, backups, should be filled by rosicky, arteta/ramsey, giroud, szczesny, etc.
    & 2 of them are pushing on as it is.

Ideally any player signed would be to go straight into the team, pushing the rest down the pecking order.
    they'll still get their fair share of games but if they want to be in the first 11/regular starter they'll need to step up - just like Koscielny has when he got the chance, though you can argue he shouldn't have been on the bench anyway but you get the idea

ronjo wrote: »
    And I am pretty sure its not 22,000 US Dollars

what do you think it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Judging by the time difference and the popularity of soccer there I'd guess Malaysia. If it was then it's still a 5500 euro bet.

Poss Australia either or Hawaii or Pacific Islands the other direction. There's a few different possibilities in fairness.

Checked it again, it would have been 15th May in the East so must be West, Hawaii or Pacific Islands it is. Good luck figuring that one out ha.

• Advertisement

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Judging by the time difference and the popularity of soccer there I'd guess Malaysia

Malaysia are GMT +

the match time says 10:45 that'd make it GMT -9

west coast america is GMT -8, pacific standard time

it'd fit alaska at GMT -9

unless i'm reading the slip wrong

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement