Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

greendom wrote: »
    When you put together, Cazorla, Giroud, Podolski and Walcott, they really have done an effective job in replacing RVP. The fact is that we have ended up in almost an identical postion to last year. We now need at least one more quality forward so that we can actually move forward and better where we have been these last 2 seasons.
    Cavani Cavani Cavani

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

greendom wrote: »
    When you put together, Cazorla, Giroud, Podolski and Walcott, they really have done an effective job in replacing RVP. The fact is that we have ended up in almost an identical postion to last year. We now need at least one more quality forward so that we can actually move forward and better where we have been these last 2 seasons.

They have done a brilliant job at replacing him and considering it was Giroud's, Podolski and Cazorla debut seasn in the EPL one can only imagine and hope we will be stronger and a more dangerous attacking force next season especially if we add another top quality forward player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They have done a brilliant job at replacing him and considering it was Giroud's, Podolski and Cazorla debut seasn in the EPL one can only imagine and hope we will be stronger and a more dangerous attacking force next season especially if we add another top quality forward player.

Hope the Board and Wenger don't think the same way as they will also expect improvement and refuse to buy :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Chelsea hopefully have a few between now and Sunday.

HazDanz wrote: »
    Chelsea hopefully have a few between now and Sunday.

I'd prefer Newcastle to have a lot tonight, tomorrow night, Friday night and Saturday night, even Sunday morning can be nice for a few bevvies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I'd prefer Newcastle to have a lot tonight, tomorrow night, Friday night and Saturday night, even Sunday morning can be nice for a few bevvies.

Maybe we should do that as fans to get through this situation we are in :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Prick cech slagging us off in the programme notes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Prick cech slagging us off in the programme notes.

He did seem to leave out one vital thing that Chelsea have that we don't
    lots and lots of Russian oil money that they never earned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Since Arsene Wenger last won a trophy at Arsenal, all other 91 English league clubs have changed their manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Chelsea look a very tired team. Hope everton put it up to them. 3rd would be just reward for the way the team has gone about our business resolutely since losing to the yids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Galvasean wrote: »
    He did seem to leave out one vital thing that Chelsea have that we don't
    lots and lots of Russian oil money that they never earned

They've spent £525m net while we've (practically been forced to because of our stadium debt) made £15m since Abramovic came in. Their trophy haul looks poor considering!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

L'prof wrote: »
    They've spent £525m net while we've (practically been forced to because of our stadium debt) made £15m since Abramovic came in. Their trophy haul looks poor considering!

Yeh but at the end of the day as a fan my main concern is success on the field and it pains me to watch Chelsea winning all them trophies, while we go on our baron run. Saying we made a 15million profit give me no satisfaction saying we won x amount of trophies would.

Hopefully this season is the turning point though and we at least start heading in the right direction again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Chelsea look a very tired team. Hope everton put it up to them. 3rd would be just reward for the way the team has gone about our business resolutely since losing to the yids.

Have to say, since losing to Spurs we have been excellent. It hasnt always been pretty or convincing but they have pulled it out of the bag when they needed to most so credit where credit is due. Once more now against Newcastle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Really hoping we get the scenario of the Chelsea Arsenal 3rd 4th place playoff, highly unlikely as it may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Yeh but at the end of the day as a fan my main concern is success on the field and it pains me to watch Chelsea winning all them trophies, while we go on our baron run. Saying we made a 15million profit give me no satisfaction saying we won x amount of trophies would.

Hopefully this season is the turning point though and we at least start heading in the right direction again.

I share your frustrations Marty but we have to also look at the bigger picture, what they and others are doing is unsustainable, it will not last, Arsenal are the best run club in the EPL and we will reap what we have sown.

I know we are all sick of hearing about how we built a new stadium and its now paid for blah blah.....but it is a reality and just wait and see how Liverpool cope when they attempt something similar.

I am also a Celtic fan ( I know two teams, for shame :D) and all I heard from fellow hoops when Rangers (RIP) were splashing the cash and dominating the Scotish game was, why wouldn't the Celtic Board get the finger out, but they held tough, spent within their means and ran the club like a business, look at where they both are now.

I fully believe in 20 or 30 years time we wil look back on these past 7-8 years as the true making of Arsenal as a leading power in world club football and Arsene Wenger will be appreciated for the genius he is. We can all then entertain/bore our kids (Arsenal fans of course) with stories about how so many Gooners used to be calling for Wengers head on d'internet :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I share your frustrations Marty but we have to also look at the bigger picture, what they and others are doing is unsustainable, it will not last, Arsenal are the best run club in the EPL and we will reap what we have sown.

I know we are all sick of hearing about how we built a new stadium and its now paid for blah blah.....but it is a reality and just wait and see how Liverpool cope when they attempt something similar.

I am also a Celtic fan ( I know two teams, for shame :D) and all I heard from fellow hoops when Rangers (RIP) were splashing the cash and dominating the Scotish game was, why wouldn't the Celtic Board get the finger out, but they held tough, spent within their means and ran the club like a business, look at where they both are now.

I fully believe in 20 or 30 years time we wil look back on these past 7-8 years as the true making of Arsenal as a leading power in world club football and Arsene Wenger will be appreciated for the genius he is. We can all then entertain/bore our kids (Arsenal fans of course) with stories about how so many Gooners used to be calling for Wengers head on d'internet :D

Yeah, what I said...or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

nice post.

i will tell my son and daughter how i use to want wenger out and how much stress they was for me :D

Good post but we could also have bought a good player or two in the meantime. All we had to do was ship out the dead wood earlier.
    It was obvious to many that we have had passengers for a few years now who have done nothing for the club.
    They should have been sold. The club might actually have saved money.
    Also we must have been the least effective team in the EPL with free-kicks and corners. A bit more time practicing these on the training ground might have netted us a few more points.
    Just a few observations. Otherwise i'm very happy :D especially if we get fourth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Good post but we could also have bought a good player or two in the meantime. All we had to do was ship out the dead wood earlier.
    It was obvious to many that we have had passengers for a few years now who have done nothing for the club.

It's not for lack of trying. The wage demands have put off a lot of buyers. Denilson for example has refused to lower his demands despite being told he isnt needed here anymore. He is happy enough to go on loan until his contract expires or someone is willing to meet his demands. I reckon others are similar. Bendtner, with how good he thinks he is, likely wants a pay rise from any move he makes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Also we must have been the least effective team in the EPL with free-kicks and corners. A bit more time practicing these on the training ground might have netted us a few more points.
    Just a few observations. Otherwise i'm very happy :D especially if we get fourth.
    Can't sell without a buyer who'll stump up the cash for their wages. Obviously giving them those wages initially was questionable in many cases, but ultimately I doubt we offered such high wages out of the kindness of our hearts, but rather because it appeared to make sense in each case, and retrospectively deciding it was silly seems a pointless exercise.

• Advertisement

Think most have already voted so I think I'll just leave it to the weekend:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KLW93PM

Currently a two horse race between Cazorla and Koscielny. Between them they have about 75% of the votes!

Obviously giving them those wages initially was questionable in many cases, but ultimately I doubt we offered such high wages out of the kindness of our hearts, but rather because it appeared to make sense in each case, and retrospectively deciding it was silly seems a pointless exercise.
    With isolated cases yes, but we've got a rake of them which suggests a deeper problem. Either our recruitment policy is flawed, or our wage structure is flawed, or both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

There was something seriously wrong with the recruitment policy when Santos got a contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/qpr-transfers-julio-cesar-confirms-1893474

Julio Cesar confirms he'll be on he move this summer.

I reckon Szczesny has been pretty good since he came back in. Pulled two huge saves and has probably earned himself the No. 1 jersey.

I cant see us buying another keeper unless we sell one first

wonga77 wrote: »
    There was something seriously wrong with the recruitment policy when Santos got a contract

At the time he was getting his game for Brazil. But that whole panic buy session got us arteta and mert. As well as Park. Who is the most bizarre arsenal signing I can remember.

With isolated cases yes, but we've got a rake of them which suggests a deeper problem. Either our recruitment policy is flawed, or our wage structure is flawed, or both.

The majority were young players with high potential. Denilson was granted a special talent visa, thats how highly he was rated. In order to secure them, we had to offer higher wages. Unfortunatly, a chunk of them didnt turn out as good as expected and now we're stuck with them. Ramsey, Walcott etc did work out under the same tactics.

For me I think he has had a brilliant debut season, I know some people think he doesn't work hard enough and the media bang on about him never lasting the full 90 but he is one player that everytime he gets the ball he's a real danger to the opposition and can make things happen.

Exactly. They were waxing lyrical about Berbatov for long enough and Pod is an industrial steam engine by comparison

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/qpr-transfers-julio-cesar-confirms-1893474

Julio Cesar confirms he'll be on he move this summer.

I reckon Szczesny has been pretty good since he came back in. Pulled two huge saves and has probably earned himself the No. 1 jersey.

I cant see us buying another keeper unless we sell one first

Fabianski is out of contract.
    bad2dabone wrote: »
    At the time he was getting his game for Brazil. But that whole panic buy session got us arteta and mert. As well as Park. Who is the most bizarre arsenal signing I can remember.

I still dont think Wenger wanted Park. I reckon the club bought him and Wenger protested by hardly ever playing him.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    The majority were young players with high potential. Denilson was granted a special talent visa, thats how highly he was rated. In order to secure them, we had to offer higher wages. Unfortunatly, a chunk of them didnt turn out as good as expected and now we're stuck with them. Ramsey, Walcott etc did work out under the same tactics.
    Denilson wasn't particularly highly rated in Brazil, but at any rate, the number of players on our books that we can't offload suggests a problem. There's never a shortage of teams looking to take a punt on once-promising player, provided the price is right. That we seemingly can't even give them away is not a ringing endorsement of how much we pay our fringe players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hope we just sell Coquelin with a buy back option. Hes at the stage where a bad loan spell will leave us in a situation where we can't get rid of him..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Yeah but there is always one of your kids that will rebel and support someone else to show you up.

That's why you have various children, just in case. You can swap him for an Arsenal baby then with another family :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Denilson wasn't particularly highly rated in Brazil, but at any rate, the number of players on our books that we can't offload suggests a problem. There's never a shortage of teams looking to take a punt on once-promising player, provided the price is right. That we seemingly can't even give them away is not a ringing endorsement of how much we pay our fringe players.

Denilson was the U-19 Brazilian captain when we bought him, pretty highly thought of in Brazil

Which is probably how he got the special talent visa, but he wasn't one of the bigger prospects in Brazil at the time. I remember Tim Vickery in particular commented that it was a surprise that we were interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Was Park bought as a marketing ploy? He didnt get too many chances to shine if memory serves me. Is Chamakh coming back to us also? he hardly featured for West Ham

wonga77 wrote: »
    Was Park bought as a marketing ploy? He didnt get too many chances to shine if memory serves me. Is Chamakh coming back to us also? he hardly featured for West Ham

I think Chamack lacks the courage needed for the hustle and bustle of the EPL.

Is the PL really that more physical then other leagues?? I don't watch much other football but in the champions league I see no difference

In saying that, Chamack does look scared all the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I've said it a million times before and I will say it once more: Chamakh was a good player for us until van Persie came back.

To put it in perspective: Between Start of the season and Christmas, Chamakh had scored 7 goals for us in the premier league.

This year, in the same period, Giroud scored 4.

Now we can't say what would have happened if Chamakh had continued playing (first choice, center forward), but for a first half season in a new league it is very good.

After van Persie came back, he was replaced, and rightly so. BUT many people on here will complain about van Persie's loyalty to us i.e. sat on the bench for 5 years, had 18 good months and left. However, our loyalty to players isn't always returned. Chamakh gave us 3 good months after signing from a different league and we dropped him and never (essentially) gave him a reasonable chance again. Without his goals, we would have finished below suprs in a Europa league spot.

What did we do in return? Drop him to the bench, ruin his confidence and then give him a 324 minutes in substitutions for the rest of the season and 180 minutes the next season to "prove himself", before loaning him out to West Ham the next season. I hope, for his sake, he never comes back to the club that ruined his career.

He ruined his own career by being rubbish. His goal record pre-Arsenal was horrid too, that often gets overlooked.

farna_boy wrote: »
    I've said it a million times before and I will say it once more: Chamakh was a good player for us until van Persie came back.

To put it in perspective: Between Start of the season and Christmas, Chamakh had scored 7 goals for us in the premier league.

Now we can't say what would have happened if Chamakh had continued playing (first choice, center forward), but for a first half season in a new league it is very good.

After van Persie came back, he was replaced, and rightly so. BUT many people on here will complain about van Persie's loyalty to us i.e. sat on the bench for 5 years, had 18 good months and left. However, our loyalty to players isn't always returned. Chamakh gave us 3 good months after signing from a different league and we dropped him and never (essentially) gave him a reasonable chance again. Without his goals, we would have finished below suprs in a Europa league spot.

What did we do in return? Drop him to the bench, ruin his confidence and then give him a 324 minutes in substitutions for the rest of the season and 180 minutes the next season to "prove himself", before loaning him out to West Ham the next season. I hope, for his sake, he never comes back to the club that ruined his career.

And whenever he did play after that, he didnt know where the goal was let alone use it. If you get dropped, it's up to you to take the chance next time it comes around. He didnt.

He scored one single league goal since getting dropped. He did nothing to warrant more game time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

farna_boy wrote: »

He couldn't handle being a squad player and was clearly never good enough to be our first choice forward.

You also ignore all the cup competitions in which he was given a chance to prove hinsekf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I remember when he first started with us - he was a real bright spark - aside from the goals, he was good at holding up the ball and clever with lay-offs (a little like Giroud in that regard). That all seemed to disappear afterwards. It appears that he became a bad footballer overnight and I'm wondering whether his supposed off the field activities had a part to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

From the Arsenal twitter Wenger is quoted as saying we're in "advanced stages" of signing Yaya Sanogo.
    6ft3 20 year old striker currently playing for Auxerre in Ligue 2.
    According to his wiki he has a decent scoring rate at under-age levels for France, though I'm not sure as it can be trusted as it now says he's played for Arsenal for the past two years, as well as:
    "He signed for Arsenal on the 17th May 2013 on a 4 year deal for free of course, with Wenger's record of unearthing the world's best talent, he will no doubt hope he turns into another Henry or Anelka. One Arsene Wenger."

:D

I remember watching him in several games and he was jumping for the ball with his shoulders up around his ears in case he got a bang. Very cowardly I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

revz wrote: »
    From the Arsenal twitter Wenger is quoted as saying we're in "advanced stages" of signing Yaya Sanogo.
    6ft3 20 year old striker currently playing for Auxerre in Ligue 2.
    According to his wiki he has a decent scoring rate at under-age levels for France, though I'm not sure as it can be trusted as it now says he's played for Arsenal for the past two years, as well as:

:D

Wouldnt be a bad backup to our backup I feel.

Football Manager legend. Apparently hes had his fair share of injury problems though. 8 goals in 11 games for Auxerre this yer aint bad though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Matt Spiro ‏@mattspiro 16m
    Yaya Sanogo is big, strong and talented, and at the age of 20, he's already had nearly as many injuries as Diaby

AdamD wrote: »
    Football Manager legend. Apparently hes had his fair share of injury problems though. 8 goals in 11 games for Auxerre this yer aint bad though.

If I didn't buy him in FM Liverpool always did. He used to bang em in haha. Guaranteed 30+ goals a season

I always sign him in football manager, got 42 goals in a season for me. But his injury record is not encouraging

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

Its good to hear about young players we might sign but wtf with computer game references?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ronjo wrote: »
    Its good to hear about young players we might sign but wtf with computer game references?

FM is not just a game :mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement