Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

ronjo wrote: »
    Its good to hear about young players we might sign but wtf with computer game references?

:eek:

Football Manager is more then a computer game!!

I think I read somewhere before that Everton had signed up with the scouting network they use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

jonny666 wrote: »
    :eek:

Football Manager is more then a computer game!!

I think I read somewhere before that Everton had signed up with the scouting network they use
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    FM is not just a game :mad:

Well apologies if I hit a nerve gentlemen :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

AdamD wrote: »
    Unfortunately Sanogo’s last two years have been dogged with injury.

I guess he'll fit right in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Pretty happy with that, we are in dire need of 2 strikers. Should confirm the end of Bendtner, Chamakh and Park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Good to see us getting our business done early.

Thats it for the summer now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

meriwether wrote: »
    Good to see us getting our business done early.

Thats it for the summer now.

no its not. Dont forget we have to sell a minimum of two starters including a captain like every other year :pac:

Raf32 wrote: »
    no its not. Dont forget we have to sell a minimum of two starters including a captain like every other year :pac:

We have to get Lescott in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

if we keep him injury free - with the new medical set up we should be able to do a half decent job, poor Diaby's a really unlucky dude - he could be next seasons Benteke. He's very similar. He won't take up a squad spot too as he's only 20, and we're getting him on a free. Super stuff, exciting.

The Mirror are running with rumours about us and Rooney.

To that I say: Balderdash. Piffle and tosh.

• Advertisement

if Wazza takes a 50% paycut and costs < 25million i'd welcome him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Could you imagine Wenger writing Wazza on the team formation board! :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

bad2dabone wrote: »
    if we keep him injury free - with the new medical set up we should be able to do a half decent job, poor Diaby's a really unlucky dude - he could be next seasons Benteke. He's very similar. He won't take up a squad spot too as he's only 20, and we're getting him on a free. Super stuff, exciting.

We'd be better off trying to sign this seasons Benteke than another unproven youngster imo. I thought this was the year things were supposed to change.

I'm sure this lad is grand and all but it just sounds like more of the same. If we go in to sign one of jovetic, higuain or Rooney as well as this guy then I'm all for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Mickeroo wrote: »
    We'd be better off trying to sign this seasons Benteke than another unproven youngster imo. I thought this was the year things were supposed to change.

I'm sure this lad is grand and all but it just sounds like more of the same. If we go in to sign one of jovetic, higuain or Rooney as well as this guy then I'm all for it though.

Was waiting for a post like this

He is 20 and costs nothing he is a potetinsl signing, he is def not the striker signing we def need

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He'll learn lots from Cavani.

i\d be confident of landing either Higuain or Jovetic. I think i'd prefer Higuain as his scoring rate is higher.
    Rooney, I think he'll stay at man utd.

Now who's gonna be our DM signing? and will we get a keeper? Woj has done well since coming back after being dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Higuain jovetic or Villa id all take over rooney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Higuain jovetic or Villa id all take over rooney

I'd definitely take roo over villa, the latter is past it

I'd definitely take roo over villa, the latter is past it

But hes more of a finisher. And it is also not just about their playing styles for me but their character and what they would bring to the dressing room.

Rooney would be a disruption in what is becoming a tight group of players

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Jovetic & Sanogo early would be very good additions and see Arsenal well stocked upfront and leave them the rest of the summer to sort out the defense / replace any outgoings (Sagna).

It would indicate atleast 2 of Bendtner, Chamakh and Park should be gotten rid of (ideally all of them).

Looking back Vertonghen really would have been ideal. Had a very good first season as a CB in the prem and can cover RB & DM. From what ive heard he didnt want to be competing for a spot with his friend Vermaelen though I dunno how true that is. Someone of his ilk this summer would be an ideal signing imo as tbh Kos is quality and Mert gets more stick than he deserves imo plus your full backs are good with good squad depth and I don't think the def needs major surgery though Sagna may leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

gosplan wrote: »
    He couldn't handle being a squad player and was clearly never good enough to be our first choice forward.

You also ignore all the cup competitions in which he was given a chance to prove hinsekf

Do you mean the 37 minutes in the league cup or the other 400 minutes in the FA cup in the remainder of that season? Yeah, that was really nice of us to repay him like that. Anything after that season is useless as we had clearly destroyed his confidence and he was never the same after that. He played a few times and held up the ball well for us but was never going to be an out and out striker ever again, at least not without having a decent run in the team.

Whatever, I've had this conversation in here a million times before and I really don't feel like having it again. I just think it's funny how people complain about all we have done for van Persie before he just betrayed us and are at the same time so dismissive about how we treat players who, for whatever reason, fall out of favour i.e. Chamakh and Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

farna_boy wrote: »
    Do you mean the 37 minutes in the league cup or the other 400 minutes in the FA cup in the remainder of that season? Yeah, that was really nice of us to repay him like that. Anything after that season is useless as we had clearly destroyed his confidence and he was never the same after that. He played a few times and held up the ball well for us but was never going to be an out and out striker ever again, at least not without having a decent run in the team.

Whatever, I've had this conversation in here a million times before and I really don't feel like having it again. I just think it's funny how people complain about all we have done for van Persie before he just betrayed us and are at the same time so dismissive about how we treat players who, for whatever reason, fall out of favour i.e. Chamakh and Park.

How did we destroy his confidence
    He is at a big club now fighting for places
    He lost his to a world class player instead of fighting for his place he imploded an gave up

Sure god help him for been dropped nearly all players at big clubs get dropped rotated at some stage

He is not good enough to be at a big club he will be ok at a middle of the road club

Wenger states no approach for Rooney and that Sanogo is almost a done deal

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-arsenal-deny-rooney-approach-chasing-auxerres-sanogo-110900072.html

Chamakh got his chance at West Ham too dont forget. He didnt do much with that either. He said the other day he'd like to go back to Bordeaux. There is a strong Andy Carroll smell off of him. Did well at a club where he was most of his career but take him out of his comfort zone and he falls apart. He did have a good start but he has been muck since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Load of rubbish tbh.

So we basically should have started him all the time or rotated him with a far better striker who was banging them in.

He was shocking every time he came on or played in the cup. The fact that he was an unused sub so often speaks volumes about what he must have been like in training too.

I'm guessing you think we didn't do right by Arshavin by playing him out on the wing too? Like not getting his favourite position is an excuse for him to get fat and play like ****.

These are professionals ffs.

Would Verm now be entitled to start playing like crap now?

• Advertisement

look at rambo's return to form since he's had a bad spell.
    Woj after getting dropped - performed well.
    Even Fabianski stood up and took his chance when given to him (and Mannone to be fair)

Chamakh never seemed willing to fight for his place and demand to be under consideration by the manager.
    I had high hopes for the guy, but he's sulked his way out of the club it seems. I won't miss him.

gosplan wrote: »
    Load of rubbish tbh.

So we basically should have started him all the time or rotated him with a far better striker who was banging them in.

He was shocking every time he came on or played in the cup. The fact that he was an unused sub so often speaks volumes about what he must have been like in training too.

I'm guessing you think we didn't do right by Arshavin by playing him out on the wing too? Like not getting his favourite position is an excuse for him to get fat and play like ****.

These are professionals ffs.

Would Verm now be entitled to start playing like crap now?

I never said or implied anything of the like.

I've been through this conversation before and every time people start guessing what I think or putting words in my mouth. You don't agree with what I said, fair enough but please don't start rubbish like the highlighted stuff above.

What I did say was that he played well for us, his confidence got shot when he was dropped, other things apparently happened around this time off the field, which may or may not have been a result of getting dropped and he was never the same player after this period. When he does play this year and scores two goals in one match, he (along with other fringe players) are dropped and the first team come in and f*ck it up.

If we didn't want him we should have just got rid then and there instead of not playing him for 2-3 years, after which we surprisingly can't get rid of him because he hasn't played. Same goes for Park now.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

Do we think Arteta will play? He's been pretty crucial over the last 6 months...

What I did say was that he played well for us, his confidence got shot when he was dropped, other things apparently happened around this time off the field, which may or may not have been a result of getting dropped and he was never the same player after this period. When he does play this year and scores two goals in one match, he (along with other fringe players) are dropped and the first team come in and f*ck it up.

If we didn't want him we should have just got rid then and there instead of not playing him for 2-3 years, after which we surprisingly can't get rid of him because he hasn't played. Same goes for Park now.
    You make it sound like Chamakh has been a goal machine coming off the bench for us. He scored 2 goals in a 7-5 win over Reading, after spending a year and a half looking more like a drunk giraffe than a footballer.

He hasn't been unfairly treated, he's just been ****, and that's why we can't get rid of him. Also because we probably pay him way too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

The king with this cracker for goal of the week in the MLS

• Advertisement

You make it sound like Chamakh has been a goal machine coming off the bench for us. He scored 2 goals in a 7-5 win over Reading, after spending a year and a half looking more like a drunk giraffe than a footballer.

He hasn't been unfairly treated, he's just been ****, and that's why we can't get rid of him. Also because we probably pay him way too much.

No, I said he played well for us in the first half of the 10/11 season when van Persie was out. He scored more goals than Walcott scored in the same period this year. More than Giroud and more than Podolski.

After that he never saw the same form again and I think part of the reason that happened was because he was never given the same opportunity again.

This year, people have been standing up for Giroud (myself included) saying that for his first year in the premiership, 11 goals isn't a bad return. If Chamakh had played the rest of the season he probably would at least have matched that. He didn't have that chance because vP came back from injury and was rightfully the first choice striker.

All I have been trying to say is that Chamakh could have been a good striker for us, at least as good as Giroud/Podolski/Walcott was for us this year but unfortunately was never given the chance that they were. No one really knows why he wasn't able to reproduce that form again, but if had joined this year and not in 10/11 most people would probably be singing his praises and defending him like Giroud rather than what happens every time his name comes up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

After that he never saw the same form again and I think part of the reason that happened was because he was never given the same opportunity again.

There were suggestions from ITKs at the time that Chamakh was having personal problems. And there were some pretty weird rumours at the time (including black-mail) that never made it to mainstream media. We wont know entirely what led to Chamakh's dramatic decline, but I don't think it was entirely footballing reasons.

No, I said he played well for us in the first half of the 10/11 season when van Persie was out. He scored more goals than Walcott scored in the same period this year. More than Giroud and more than Podolski.

This year, people have been standing up for Giroud (myself included) saying that for his first year in the premiership, 11 goals isn't a bad return. If Chamakh had played the rest of the season he probably would at least have matched that. He didn't have that chance because vP came back from injury and was rightfully the first choice striker.

All I have been trying to say is that Chamakh could have been a good striker for us, at least as good as Giroud/Podolski/Walcott was for us this year but unfortunately was never given the chance that they were. No one really knows why he wasn't able to reproduce that form again, but if had joined this year and not in 10/11 most people would probably be singing his praises and defending him like Giroud rather than what happens every time his name comes up now.
    When he does play this year and scores two goals in one match, he (along with other fringe players) are dropped and the first team come in and f*ck it up.
    Makes it sound like he's been unfairly treated, he hasn't. He scored 1 goal in the whole of the previous season. He's never been a prolific striker anywhere and just because he was dropped after he contrived to score 8 or 9 goals (in front of a more creative midfield) doesn't mean that a glittering career as a top striker was cruelly cut short. The guy can hardly even strike a ball cleanly.

Players get dropped and rotated all the time; that Chamakh couldn't deal with it is his problem... and frankly, he was never good enough to begin with, even in his purple patch. He was decent, but wasn't anything like good enough for first team material, just like Giroud.

Makes it sound like he's been unfairly treated, he hasn't. He scored 1 goal in the whole of the previous season. He's never been a prolific striker anywhere and just because he was dropped after he contrived to score 8 or 9 goals (in front of a more creative midfield) doesn't mean that a glittering career as a top striker was cruelly cut short. The guy can hardly even strike a ball cleanly.

Players get dropped and rotated all the time; that Chamakh couldn't deal with it is his problem... and frankly, he was never good enough to begin with, even in his purple patch. He was decent, but wasn't anything like good enough for first team material, just like Giroud.

That's a bit harsh! Great return in his first season!

Well done. You had me going there for a while.

You just gave the game away with that though. :D

That's a bit harsh! Great return in his first season!

We just have to accept that some people seem to think he rubbish ;) this isn't the only place I've heard it either, lots of hate around for Giroud. Amazes me since I actually think he's been quality and lacked up front without him. Great all round play as well. Think I read somewhere that he has had a better 1st season in England than Drogba did, no winning with some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

TheGunns wrote: »
    We just have to accept that some people seem to think he rubbish ;) this isn't the only place I've heard it either, lots of hate around for Giroud. Amazes me since I actually think he's been quality and lacked up front without him. Great all round play as well. Think I read somewhere that he has had a better 1st season in England than Drogba did, no winning with some people.

I do think Giroud had a good season but not outstanding, he needs to kick on next season for me, he does have good link up play but a lot of times his finishing can leave a lot to be desired. Next season will be the making or breaking of him for me the jury is still out.

Well done. You had me going there for a while.

You just gave the game away with that though. :D
    ... er right, ok.
    TheGunns wrote: »
    Drogba didn't have a good first season either, so what? I can name plenty of strikers who had average first seasons, and then had average second seasons, and third, fourth, etc.

His all round play is generally okay, but nowhere near great. His finishing is chronic. The most encouraging aspects about him are that he gets into good positions and strikes the ball pretty well. Then again so did Bendtner, so it's far from guaranteed that he's going to develop into a top striker.

At any rate, whether he develops into a top striker or not, he isn't one yet, and that is the story of why we finish in fourth ****ing place every year.

Podolski has had a pretty good first season. Walcott's had a pretty good season. Cazorla's had a great season. Giroud has been average... and that's probably being generous. He's comfortably the weakest link in our front four and is the one begging to be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

... er right, ok.

Drogba didn't have a good first season either, so what? I can name plenty of strikers who had average first seasons, and then had average second seasons, and third, fourth, etc.

His all round play is generally okay, but nowhere near great. His finishing is chronic. The most encouraging aspects about him are that he gets into good positions and strikes the ball pretty well. Then again so did Bendtner, so it's far from guaranteed that he's going to develop into a top striker.

At any rate, whether he develops into a top striker or not, he isn't one yet, and that is the story of why we finish in fourth ****ing place every year.

Podolski has had a pretty good first season. Walcott's had a pretty good season. Cazorla's had a great season. Giroud has been average... and that's probably being generous. He's comfortably the weakest link in our front four and is the one begging to be replaced.

No mention of his excellent link up play? I think he's been as good as Podolski this season. Both had good but not great first seasons. We still need another top quality attacker (Jovetic, Higuain etc ) though.

No mention of his excellent link up play? I think he's been as good as Podolski this season. Both had good but not great first seasons. We still need another top quality attacker (Jovetic, Higuain etc ) though.

To be honest I've been delighted with Podolskis first season, he always looks dangerous on the ball and is a terrific finisher neither of which can have been said for Giroud this season. But hopefully they can both kick it up anohter level next season along with Cazorla going by average we should hope will only get better now they have all adapted.

• Advertisement

To be honest I've been delighted with Podolskis first season, he always looks dangerous on the ball and is a terrific finisher neither of which can have been said for Giroud this season. But hopefully they can both kick it up anohter level next season along with Cazorla going by average we should hope will only get better now they have all adapted.

I'm a big Poldi fan, and he's been great at taking chances that have come to him. Still, he has been in and out of games a lot of the time and is sometimes anonymous.

I was referring to his link up play in his all round play, and I wouldn't consider it excellent. It's alright. He generally holds up the ball quite well, but his touch is heavy and he routinely fires the ball back to the midfield without even stopping to see if he'd be better holding on to it (which is often the case).

Based on the stats I've seen, Podolski has picked up a goal or assist roughly every 96 minutes this season, compared to 154 for Giroud. Walcott 81, Santi 129.

Unless you're counting Santi or at a push Theo or Poldi, we don't have a 'top' attacker at the club already to add another to.

Drogba was pretty similar to Giroud in France, almost identical in aspects. Everyone raved about him first season in England but people seem to think Giroud is average. Nobody is saying he's a world beater and yes he will need to have another good season next year but he has been above most strikers first seasons in England.

Cazorla has obviously been very good, the best for us IMO, and Podolski has been good enough since he's been carrying an injury lately. The 2 CBs have been the main standout for me in the last couple months and the first month or 2 at the start of the season. We're still playing for 4th because we went missing in the big games.

I don't remember what people's hopes were here at the start of the season but most people were pessimistic after losing Van Persie and would've settled for fourth at the start.

I was referring to his link up play in his all round play, and I wouldn't consider it excellent. It's alright. He generally holds up the ball quite well, but his touch is heavy and he routinely fires the ball back to the midfield without even stopping to see if he'd be better holding on to it (which is often the case).

Based on the stats I've seen, Podolski has picked up a goal or assist roughly every 96 minutes this season, compared to 154 for Giroud. Walcott 81, Santi 129.

Unless you're counting Santi or at a push Theo or Poldi, we don't have a 'top' attacker at the club already to add another to.

I was counting Santi.

And Girouds touch is superb a lot of the time. Don't know where you're getting that from, he's set up a fair few goals with lovely deft touches.

I'm a big Poldi fan, and he's been great at taking chances that have come to him. Still, he has been in and out of games a lot of the time and is sometimes anonymous.

Yeh there is no doubting that but I just feel even when he's having a quite game he's one of them player that could still be considered a threat his finishing is that good, Giroud on a quite day not so much.

I do expect Wenger will sign a striker and not a only a 20 year old to bring in more competition which can only be a good thing.

I'll be disappointed if the striker signed is only competition. Giroud needs to be an option or an alternative, not a first teamer, if we're to get anywhere.

There's a reason we've been linked with strikers. Giroud is a decent striker but we could improve on him. A top striker and him would be great. Giroud has had a good first season. Same with pod. Santi a bit better.

One thing we gotta remember is, the three of them were all new to the team and to London and taking that into account they have done a very good job. No time to settle in here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Get a clinical striker of a different mold to Giroud to give us options up front and i'll be happy. We will score umpteen amount of goals then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I never said or implied anything of the like.

I've been through this conversation before and every time people start guessing what I think or putting words in my mouth. You don't agree with what I said, fair enough but please don't start rubbish like the highlighted stuff above.

You blamed arsenal for ruining his career and made out as though it was all the clubs/Wengers fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Im going to have to say i agree with Farna on the Chamakh issue, about the time he was dropped he was in good form but never seemed to recover, why, we'll never really know only speculate. I do also think he has wasted his last few years sitting on the bench when he probably should have moved off to another club. Maybe the wages were the problem that he wasnt shifted but the club must take responsibility for that, he wasnt the only player we were stuck with because we gave silly wages to every tom dick and harry.
    Re Giroud, I dont think he's clinical enough and his finishing could be better and he has missed some great chances but... Its his first year, at a huge club, leading the line following the departure of a world class striker, his link up play has been excellent, we did not exactly break the bank for him so for that im quite happy with his contribution this year. Another striker is needed but some fans will never be pleased, smashing the transfer record doesnt automatically guarantee we will get a 30 goal a year player

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement