Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

How awesome is it facing into the summer with the possibility of singing some big names :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

jester77 wrote: »
    I haven't seen the lad play but for a striker his stats are fairly average and something doesn't add up to the prices mentioned here. Or am I missing something :confused:

He has 12 goals in 33 appearances this season. That's similar to Carzola's strike rate and would put him behind Podolski, Giroud and Walcott. Not seeing how this would be an improvement on what we have, especially for the price.
    He doesn't really play as a striker from what I understand, plays more in the hole or on the left.

He's still young though so if the interest is genuine, perhaps Wenger thinks he can convert him ala Henry or van Persie. Or perhaps the rumours about Podolski leaving have substance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

He doesn't really play as a striker from what I understand, plays more in the hole or on the left.

He's still young though so if the interest is genuine, perhaps Wenger thinks he can convert him ala Henry or van Persie. Or perhaps the rumours about Podolski leaving have substance.

Also Italian league is traditionally the hardest to score in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Or perhaps the rumours about Podolski leaving have substance.

Or Podolski could be played up top? Seeing as he was a striker when signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Or Podolski could be played up top? Seeing as he was a striker when signed.

The jury is still out for me with Poldi up front. Hasn't performed well there whenever he's had the chance.

• Advertisement

Kolo Toure is a free agent... thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

FearDark wrote: »

Liverpool bound by the looks of things! Always liked Kolo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Kolo........A couple of seasons as a squad player YES PLEASE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Just read this stat
    One of the most interesting statistics from Arsenal's season is that in their last 16 games they took 39 points. That total is higher than in the last 16 games during their 'Invincibles' season of 2003/4.

Some second half of the season!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I think most people like myself will opt for Higuain because we have seen more of him play, but from what I've read Jovetic is a real talent.

Also wouldn't read to much into his goalscoring in Italy sure just look at Torres in his Athletico Madrid days compared to his Liverpool exploits.

I havent seen much of him but he recieves a lot of praise and come with a lot of hype and if we can get him I would be delighted it would show real intent by the club and a big change policies.

A lot of people have mentioned it seems a bit much but an interesting point I read was look at what Chelsea paid for Hazard or Bayern Martinez did they over pay probably but with these players your paying for there talent and future potential aswell, and Jovetic apparently has bundles of talent.

• Advertisement

Good luck to him wherever he goes next. Hopefully it isn't to us though.

Good luck to him wherever he goes next. Hopefully it isn't to us though.

Would he be better than Verm as backup to Mert and Kos?

I don't think so, no. If we're going to have a once great Arsenal defender providing cover this season, I'd rather it be Sagna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I don't think so, no. If we're going to have a once great Arsenal defender providing cover this season, I'd rather it be Sagna.

Silvestre FTW

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think most people like myself will opt for Higuain because we have seen more of him play, but from what I've read Jovetic is a real talent.

Also wouldn't read to much into his goalscoring in Italy sure just look at Torres in his Athletico Madrid days compared to his Liverpool exploits.

I havent seen much of him but he recieves a lot of praise and come with a lot of hype and if we can get him I would be delighted it would show real intent by the club and a big change policies.

A lot of people have mentioned it seems a bit much but an interesting point I read was look at what Chelsea paid for Hazard or Bayern Martinez did they over pay probably but with these players your paying for there talent and future potential aswell, and Jovetic apparently has bundles of talent.

Yeah I don't think the prices quoted are excessive at all, if a player has any quality they're going to cost over 20m these days.

How awesome is it facing into the summer with the possibility of singing some big names :D

Pulis seems to be getting the sack at Stoke

dhalsim-alphawin.gif

aw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

There's plenty of bridges looking for trolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Pulis seems to be getting the sack at Stoke

dhalsim-alphawin.gif

Ah so thats where Mourinho is going:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Pity about Pulis, I had always hoped he'd be in charge the day Stoke got relegated.

Wenger now the longest serving manager in the league by 12 years, 257 days. Next longest serving is Roberto Martinez, followed by Alan Pardew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yawn.
    Any news yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Arsenal Stat ‏@Arsenal_StatMan 1h

Michu is the only player to score against Arsenal in the last 15 minutes of EPL Matches this season. #AFC
    Expand

So not only did we score plenty late goals but we never conceded many either.
    Probably has as much to do with the fitness of our players as well as our defence being like a rock the past few months.

Yawn.
    Any news yet?

Jovetic seems to be getting closer and closer to a done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Yaya Sanogo - first signing for us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Pity it wasn't the other Yaya though Maire.
    Never heard of this lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Pity it wasn't the other Yaya though Maire.
    Never heard of this lad.

Yeah missed a trick big time with Toure. Hopefully he's a gem and now AW has got his young, French unknown he'll spoil us with some proven top class internationals :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Steve Bould could be an option now for stoke if you go by what was written a few weeks back

also heard/read not long ago that Jovetic is the signing wenger wants & he feels it'll be a real statement

• Advertisement

dsmythy wrote: »
    I think that's pretty much the seeding for next season. German teams might get a slight boost if the final this weekend isn't included. For seeding it will become clearer once each league is complete. Right now Arsenal, Milan and Schalke are guaranteed to be seeded. Everything else is up in the air.

To give an idea of what a draw may look like, if every league were to end right now with the league positions as they are and all seeded teams from the previous qualifying round were to win their games you would have this (unless I'm horribly mistaken and someone shows me the error of my ways) :

Seeded

Arsenal
    Lyon
    Milan
    Schalke
    Zenit

Unseeded

PSV
    Metalist Kharkiv
    Fenerbahce
    Pacos de Ferreira
    Real Sociedad

But lots of games to be played between now and August so it's wait and see for you!

you know what i forgot about the other night & think you have as well, is that the seedings for the competitions are based on the 5 year rankings upto the penultimate season

so they are done, that link starts at 2013, we should go by 2012 rankings but doubt they'll change at all that much & like you say it'll be clearer when the leagues are done

valencia getting 4th, thus being a top seed & knocking zenit down could happen though

If you ask me, Cazorla is inclined to be too much of a passenger. Is he a luxury we can afford? An injury free Jack in his pomp is far more effective and will put in a tackle or two

i'd say podolski can be more of a passenger, very very ineffective them last 4 games through the middle but when playing wider throughout the season also

on cazorla/wilshere if playing in midfield:
    i think it depends on the opposition, against some teams cazorla's better suited, teams who'll try and play a bit. Cazorla will get goals & assists whereas wilshere's more likely go give it to someone to assist - no guarantee they'll make it
    Wilshere's the better option for the more physical teams & teams who'll try to keep it tight as he'll drive at them & think he's better at that than cazorla

when playing together this season neither of them look at their best, not too keen on cazorla playing wide either

since the stats are out the last few days :pac: seen this earlier

giroud & podolski only won arsenal 7 points in the league between them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,120 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

batistuta9 wrote: »
    i'd say podolski can be more of a passenger, very very ineffective them last 4 games through the middle but when playing wider throughout the season also

on cazorla/wilshere if playing in midfield:
    i think it depends on the opposition, against some teams cazorla's better suited, teams who'll try and play a bit. Cazorla will get goals & assists whereas wilshere's more likely go give it to someone to assist - no guarantee they'll make it
    Wilshere's the better option for the more physical teams & teams who'll try to keep it tight as he'll drive at them & think he's better at that than cazorla

when playing together this season neither of them look at their best, not too keen on cazorla playing wide either

since the stats are out the last few days :pac: seen this earlier

Ineffective the last four games?? He scored twice in one of them. What more do ya want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Quazzie wrote: »
    Ineffective the last four games?? He scored twice in one of them. What more do ya want?

You could give him that game, but in the other 3 he offered jack **** up front. Was much better out on the wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

TheGunns wrote: »
    You could give him that game, but in the other 3 he offered jack **** up front. Was much better out on the wing

Yeah but isn't he supposed to be injured and has only being playing out of necessity?

I don't really know the extent or the severity of the injury and until the details are clear, I don't think he can be judged too harshly, especially when he scored (and provided one crucial assist) when we most needed it.

dvemail wrote: »
    Arsenal Stat ‏@Arsenal_StatMan 1h

Michu is the only player to score against Arsenal in the last 15 minutes of EPL Matches this season. #AFC
    Expand

So not only did we score plenty late goals but we never conceded many either.
    Probably has as much to do with the fitness of our players as well as our defence being like a rock the past few months.

I bet over the last few years our stats weren't any worse than average like that, the whole "mentality" thing is way, way overplayed.

If someone wants to bookmark this then feel free, I'm the negative poster here so I'm going to set out my stall. If we sign one defender, one really good AM (I'd like a DM but if it doesn't happen I'll be ok if everything else goes well) and one really good striker then I'm happy for the start of next season. I don't know a massive amount about Jovetic and his goalscoring record isn't amazing but he looks like what we're missing from what I've seen. We do that, total cost won't even use up our cash reserves so it's not much to ask, we should be right in the mix come March next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

batistuta9 wrote: »

Not sure how you calculate that stat but it's worth noting that loads of Podolski's goals have been really important one's in terms of the direction of the game.

They always seem to be the one that puts us ahead or the equaliser.

Not sure if that's considered in the stat but they're harder goals to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I am pleased to be following in the footsteps of Abou Diaby who came through from Auxerre

Quote from sonogo. uhoh, not looking good.

Quote from sonogo. uhoh, not looking good.

On the other hand the football club he played for as a junior in Paris was the same as Thierry Henry's. :)

Strange to see Man City announcing a £12m a year kit deal with Nike. Isn't there a UAE based shirt manufacturer that could pay them £70m a year for the same?

At any rate, it makes our upcoming deal with Puma look very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Strange to see Man City announcing a £12m a year kit deal with Nike. Isn't there a UAE based shirt manufacturer that could pay them £70m a year for the same?

At any rate, it makes our upcoming deal with Puma look very good.

Cant wait to see the new jersey. I havent bought a jersey the last 2 seasons because they were all too similar. Definitely gonna get this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Fake one doing the rounds:
    21324_460665407354038_1315721173_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Fake one doing the rounds:
    21324_460665407354038_1315721173_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

^ If the Thai/Chinese sweatshops are to be believed then that is indeed real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That's actually not too bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Arsenal not willing to meet the buy out clause on Jovetic according to @GeoffArsena

Bring on the puma stuff! Thats an unbelieveable shirt deal we have done with them.

jester77 wrote: »
    Arsenal not willing to meet the buy out clause on Jovetic according to @GeoffArsena

And so it begins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

What's his buy out clause, anyone know? Sounds like there's some hardball going on, wouldn't rule it as disaster yet.

ETA: 30m

dvemail wrote: »
    And so it begins.

Chelsea/Man City bid enter stage left.

Hopefully it's just part of the negotiation process

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement