Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Whats wrong with Arteta? I think he's been the most consistent player for us the past few seasons, even after being played out of position. Hes my player of the season, bit of an unsung hero, no?

*edit: Didn't read comment properly about battling out for pivot role, apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

I love how all the papers ignore the buy back clause for cesc when linking him to utd and now city.

Do they not think arsenal will be the only place he goes, I imagine he would be signed regardless of cost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

stuchyg wrote: »
    I love how all the papers ignore the buy back clause for cesc when linking him to utd and now city.

Do they not think arsenal will be the only place he goes, I imagine he would be signed regardless of cost
    And as much as I want him back for his brillance I would want him even more just to not have to see him in a City Utd or Chelsea shirt

That would really sicken me to the pit of my stomach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

But I'd imagine Fabregas has to want to come back. And if Arsenal don't strengthen significantly then whey would he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Don't be so sure.

Lets not forget, Cesc pretty much went on strike to force the move away from us, the way he played the transfer forced us to having to accept a transfer fee at least 10 million short of his true value. He fcuked the club about in 2011 and he was smart enough to manage to do so behind closed doors thus protecting his reputation amongst Arsenal fans. (Unlike that slimeball RVP with his "you guys" garbage statement.)

Cesc has only spoken in glowing terms of Arsenal (and particularly Wenger) since leaving, but I find it hard to look past the facts that Cesc effecively went on strike (he was AWOL on our pre season tour), he took a million pound a year pay cut to get away from us, and he never made any statements denouncing Barcelona's behaviour during what was the most disgustingly blatant persistent public tapping up of a player in the history of the game. He could have put an end to that by stating that he wanted to stay at Arsenal, he was a big a culprit as anyone else in Barcelona's relentless tapping up.

I still like him and would have him back in a heartbeat, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if we saw him line out for Man Utd, Man City or even Chelsea in the not too distant future. He has said before that the only club he would ever leave Barcelona for is Arsenal, but since when did we start believing the word of footballers? PR is the name of the game, not honesty.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

If the sell-on clause actually exists and is at 50% then Arsenal can price pretty much everyone out of the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Sanogo has supposedly passed his medical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

According to Sky Italia Stevan Jovetić's agent Fali Ramadani will be intermediary between Juventus and Fiorentina and say deal closed by 15 June.

Gazzetta dello Sport also reporting this saying the Juventus offer is a very low bid of €18m plus Luca Marrone, which suits both clubs

Andip wrote: »
    According to Sky Italia Stevan Jovetić's agent Fali Ramadani will be intermediary between Juventus and Fiorentina and say deal closed by 15 June.

Gazzetta dello Sport also reporting this saying the Juventus offer is a very low bid of €18m plus Luca Marrone, which suits both clubs

But we could offer Bendtner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

With all the mention of buying a DMF and a striker I am shocked nobody has mentioned the most important position that we need strengthened is goalkeeper. Look at all the teams in the top 5 all have world class goalkeepers where we have 2 keepers who promise so much yet fail to deliver on a consistent basis. I would love us to sign Julio Cesar.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He played left, rosicky went through the middle

I meant before rosicky had even come back from injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I'm happy with Szczesny. He had a dip last season but after the Tottenham game once the team improved defensively even Fabianski looked good (as did Szcz when he got back in the team)

I don't think we have bad keepers, we have one good (Fab) and one very good (Szcz) keeper who have had to put up with playing behind an often ridiculously disorganised panicky defence. The best of keepers would have been nervous playing behind our defence in the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I meant before rosicky had even come back from injury.

Oh right yeah
    He want one great game against west ham alright

We need to fit both into the team I think putting santi left does that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

Is anyone else feeling sick about the thoughts of Fabregas coming back to England and not going to Arsenal?

Seeing him and Van Persie linking up again would be horrific......... Or him and Nasri at City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

ronjo wrote: »
    Is anyone else feeling sick about the thoughts of Fabregas coming back to England and not going to Arsenal?

Seeing him and Van Persie linking up again would be horrific......... Or him and Nasri at City.

Dont let rumours make you feel sick. Most of them are horsesh!t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

He left. I don't want him back. The only one I would like to see back is Cesc.

Didnt Cesc go too though, even refused to play in the pre-season tour iirc

Peter Hill-Wood has stepped down from the Arsenal Board as a result of his condition following his heart attack and pneumonia suffered in December.

The club are due to issue a full press release very shortly.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Apparently Vermaelan is going to snub a move to juventus and stay on to try and fight for his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

jordainius wrote: »
    Don't be so sure.

Lets not forget, Cesc pretty much went on strike to force the move away from us, the way he played the transfer forced us to having to accept a transfer fee at least 10 million short of his true value. He fcuked the club about in 2011 and he was smart enough to manage to do so behind closed doors thus protecting his reputation amongst Arsenal fans. (Unlike that slimeball RVP with his "you guys" garbage statement.)

Cesc has only spoken in glowing terms of Arsenal (and particularly Wenger) since leaving, but I find it hard to look past the facts that Cesc effecively went on strike (he was AWOL on our pre season tour), he took a million pound a year pay cut to get away from us, and he never made any statements denouncing Barcelona's behaviour during what was the most disgustingly blatant persistent public tapping up of a player in the history of the game. He could have put an end to that by stating that he wanted to stay at Arsenal, he was a big a culprit as anyone else in Barcelona's relentless tapping up.

I still like him and would have him back in a heartbeat, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if we saw him line out for Man Utd, Man City or even Chelsea in the not too distant future. He has said before that the only club he would ever leave Barcelona for is Arsenal, but since when did we start believing the word of footballers? PR is the name of the game, not honesty.

Yeh but at the same time isn't he the one who convinced Cazorla to join Arsenal? I do think like Henry he has a genuine love for the club which is why he never done a Van Persie you guys statement, even on twitter he seem to be alway keeping an eye on Arsenal results.

On Verm if true very admirable and the kind of character we need at the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Are Juventus the new team trying to fuck up all our shit because we gave them Bendtner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

what ever happened to that fellow everybody was raving about last year - sahin i think ,from madrid and liverpool got him in the end?
    the world was going to end if we didnt get him at the time i believe ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

blingrhino wrote: »
    what ever happened to that fellow everybody was raving about last year - sahin i think ,from madrid and liverpool got him in the end?
    the world was going to end if we didnt get him at the time i believe ...

I think he may well have a champions league runner's up medal :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

i was wondering about that too, perhaps its BS about the clause

anyway from what i know of it's not a buy back clause but the right to first refusal

so city, chelsea & probably man u could offer enough that they know arsenal won't

he won't be signed regardless of cost, we could assume that nearly with certainty.
    look at Jovetic...

If the sell-on clause actually exists and is at 50% then Arsenal can price pretty much everyone out of the market.

i don't think that exists at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,476 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Didnt Cesc go too though, even refused to play in the pre-season tour iirc

Yes he left but he wanted to go to his home club and they seriously chased him, illegally in my opinion.
    I do remember Cesc playing with a bad leg and scoring against Barca.
    I also think that the lack of class players being signed was a factor in his going.
    I think he proved himself at Arsenal and often carried us on his own.

Not a bad leg, he broke his leg and then still got up and scored the peno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Before the rumours get out of hand in here again like previous seasons, it may be worth reading the following article I saw on balls.ie.

Basically, it reads that if you read a rumour in The Metro, it is probably rubbish (only 11% accuracy) whereas if it is The Guardian, there is a much better chance that it is right (34% accuracy). The Daily Mail, which seems to be a favourite of the soccer forum comes in at 20%.

Bear in mind, even though The Guardian is the most accurate, 34% is still fairly poor. Looking at the source provided by balls.ie, Gazetta seems to be the most accurate European paper (44%) and it is basically not worth your while reading rumours from online sources, the most accurate being only 20%.

We have no arsenal to watch during the summer, if we can't wildly speculate on every transfer story what else will we do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I would love us to sign Julio Cesar.
    There is a reason he went to QPR. I'd much rather Szczesny and Fabianski. Goalkeeper isnt something we need to be worrying about unless Fabianski leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Not a bad leg, he broke his leg and then still got up and scored the peno.

My memory of it was that he broke his leg while scoring the peno

farna_boy wrote: »
    Before the rumours get out of hand in here again like previous seasons, it may be worth reading the following article I saw on balls.ie.

Basically, it reads that if you read a rumour in The Metro, it is probably rubbish (only 11% accuracy) whereas if it is The Guardian, there is a much better chance that it is right (34% accuracy). The Daily Mail, which seems to be a favourite of the soccer forum comes in at 20%.

Bear in mind, even though The Guardian is the most accurate, 34% is still fairly poor. Looking at the source provided by balls.ie, Gazetta seems to be the most accurate European paper (44%) and it is basically not worth your while reading rumours from online sources, the most accurate being only 20%.

34% is actually quite good & some of the rest aren't that bad when you think about it

if you take the strikers arsenal are being linked to; jovetic, higuain & benteke if one of them signs = 33%
    through rooney in, with one signing and its = 25%
    never mind the others they'll list as potential strikers

thinking clubs are only interested in one player for a position is a bit silly i think & they assume every player linked is to be singed - that's where the article/stats of it fall down
    the papers take their liberties too of course with the easy links of a player to a club who might need someone in that position or it's a weak part of their team (arsenal with keepers for about 5 year there) & passing off a slight interest in someone as a genuine target, etc.

but they're media after all looking for people to buy the paper/subscribe online or just to visit their site

imagine all the players wengers had scouted or had some kind of interest in since he's been at arsenal, i doubt he's signed anywhere close to 34% of them

• Advertisement

farna_boy wrote: »

What is an accurate rumnour defined as. A player that a club has a serious interest in, or a player that a club actually buys?

greendom wrote: »
    What is an accurate rumnour defined as. A player that a club has a serious interest in, or a player that a club actually buys?

It's in the source link, player has transferred or signed a new contract

Sky sports reporting that Freddie Ljunberg has rejoined the club as an Ambassador and will promote the Asia tour

batistuta9 wrote: »
    It's in the source link, player has transferred or signed a new contract

So the % rates are probably much higher then. As clubs attempt to sign players who they don't actually end up signing.

I know its twitter, I know it probably bull**** but twitter just exploded with Cesc to Arsenal might happen but its complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Must be BS because our deals are never complicated. We bid, its accepted and it all done in a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Surprised the Guardian's is that high given they run a daily rumour mill which is largely tongue-in-cheek and written in a way that you know not to put much faith in it. Unless they don't count those articles of course, if they do, then by my reckoning any full article from the guardian about one single transfer would very much be worth reading. Not 100% of whether they count that rumour mill though.

eg. http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/31/transfer-rumours-liverpool-david-villa

Must be BS because our deals are never complicated. We bid, its accepted and it all done in a few hours.

Doubt it though a Cesc to Arsenal deal would be complicated given the amount of add on's and suppossed sell on clauses, first refusal etc that were added into the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Getting very excited about this! Come home Cesc! :)

ITK bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I know its twitter, I know it probably bull**** but twitter just exploded with Cesc to Arsenal might happen but its complicated.

If this is from GeoffArsenal then I'm not sure to think. Hes called the team sheets etc. pretty often but as far as I remember hes yet to give us anything solid on the transfer front, only AFCCamden seemed to have any real information there.

Oh and IMO if this were all to be true (big if) it would be absolute madness to not buy him, there isn't a player remotely close to his ability that we would have a chance of getting this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I'd love to see him back in the prem, hurry up and sign him :)

ITK bull****.

Generally I'd agree but....
    AdamD wrote: »
    If this is from GeoffArsenal then I'm not sure to think. Hes called the team sheets etc. pretty often but as far as I remember hes yet to give us anything solid on the transfer front, only AFCCamden seemed to have any real information there.

As AdamD said GeoffArsenal like AFCccamden previously he seems to have an inside track on Arsenal is always getting team sheets right, injuries etc before the club announce them. He said it could happen soon but its complicated. The only reason I got excited like most on twitter is because it came from him.

I've seen very little to suggest GeoffArsenal is anything other than another spoofer.

I've seen very little to suggest GeoffArsenal is anything other than another spoofer.

Hey some people are born to be skeptics others are born to be believers even if sometimes the belief is delusional :o, either way if it did happen I'd be delighted.

I'd love to have him back. Just trying to think what formation we would play with him in the team. Just play him further forward, with either Giroud/Walcott up front?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

He has actually gotten a few things right such as Jack's number change and the like.

Don't Barca still owe us some money for Song ?

Andip wrote: »
    Don't Barca still owe us some money for Song ?

I think they owe us money for Song and Fabregas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Im absolutely positive Suarez will leave Liverpool.

This is going to be most entertaining.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement