Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Just read something at f365 about players available on the cheap.

Why don't we sign Flamini???

Out of contract in the summer, only played a few games this year for milan so they shouldn't mind, can deputise at LB if needed ... and he's only 28!!!

I think it's an amazing idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

jordainius wrote: »
    Yeah but one thing I know for certain is that we'll drop points too

As will every single team in the league??

People are saying we need Spurs to collapse? We are 4pts behind and still have to play each other, after tonight we will have played City, Chelsea and Liverpool twice. Spurs have zero cover upfront and if Bale is suspended/injured they are shagged, they are thin on the ground for CM aswell. Spurs will drop plenty of points that is not a problem, our concern needs to be ourselves and getting the consistency which we are more than capable of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

gosplan wrote: »
    Just read something at f365 about players available on the cheap.

Why don't we sign Flamini???

Out of contract in the summer, only played a few games this year for milan so they shouldn't mind, can deputise at LB if needed ... and he's only 28!!!

I think it's an amazing idea.

Can you imagine the flak Wenger would get if that happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Shocking transfer window again for us, not even so much that we didn't buy anybody but we still didn't shift any of the deadwood out of the squad permanently :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

As will every single team in the league??

People are saying we need Spurs to collapse? We are 4pts behind and still have to play each other, after tonight we will have played City, Chelsea and Liverpool twice. Spurs have zero cover upfront and if Bale is suspended/injured they are shagged, they are thin on the ground for CM aswell. Spurs will drop plenty of points that is not a problem, our concern needs to be ourselves and getting the consistency which we are more than capable of.

We are more than capable of showing consistency with the players we have at our disposable but likewise can you truely rely on us to show it? Over the coarse of this season and last season its not something we can bank on were such a fragile team mentally. Last year we got it due to a combination of a decent run of form and and the teams above us imploding. We can keep flirting with 4th spot every year and continue to get it. I want and expect more from the club.
    danlen wrote: »

I dont think he would get flak for it, I for one would welcome Flamini back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

danlen wrote: »

Why, he'd be potentially great and cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

gosplan wrote: »
    Why, he'd be potentially great and cheap too.

And back up for left back. Not a hope of it happening though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭iainconlon12

Rumours of Jenkinson going to Stoke on loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Rumours of Jenkinson going to Stoke on loan

Will never happen while we are still in 3 competitions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

dorgasm wrote: »

Or while hell hasn't freezed over

Exactly. Highly doubting it myself!

Exactly. Highly doubting it myself!

I suppose I should have said "Should never happen while we are in 3 competitions". You'd never know what could happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I get the feeling we could sign Messi and Ronaldo yet people would still find a reason to moan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I don't know... being told we are in the market only for super quality when anything above thoroughly average would be an improvement on some of our back up players is frustrating.

Knowing the club has lots of money and we don't even bother to at least bid for any top class talents like Cavani or Goetze is frustrating.

I can see why people feel the desire to moan tbh.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I don't know... being told we are in the market only for super quality when anything above thoroughly average would be an improvement on some of our back up players is frustrating.

Knowing the club has lots of money and we don't even bother to at least bid for any top class talents like Cavani or Goetze is frustrating.

I can see why people feel the desire to moan tbh.

It's pretty well known (I think) that we bid £30m for Gotze before he signed his new contract. Supposedly we bid a good bit for Hazard as well (not sure on this one).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

rumours of Santos heading back to Turkey?

http://www.arsenalnews.co.uk/arsenal-rumours-fenerbahce-considering-a-move-for-santos/

Probably not but it would be better for everyone id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

On tonight's game --

We can't afford to give Liverpool a goal start like we have been giving poorer teams. We need to get stuck in and focus from the first whistle.
    The defenders tippy-tapping across our 18 yard line and then passing back to Czsz for him to hoof upfield does my head in. Why can't the defender hoof the ball instead or just chip it over the top of their defence for Walcott to run onto.

I think Diaby will start as he usually plays well against the Pool.
    Predicting a 3 -- 2 for a change.

Come on you Gunners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

On tonight's game --

We can't afford to give Liverpool a goal start like we have been giving poorer teams. We need to get stuck in and focus from the first whistle.
    The defenders tippy-tapping across our 18 yard line and then passing back to Czsz for him to hoof upfield does my head in. Why can't the defender hoof the ball instead or just chip it over the top of their defence for Walcott to run onto.

I think Diaby will start as he usually plays well against the Pool.
    Predicting a 3 -- 2 for a change.

Come on you Gunners.

No Diaby, Rambo starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

No Diaby, Rambo starts.
    This really worries me, it's a defensive role and its just not Ramsey, unless Wilshire sits back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

It's pretty well known (I think) that we bid £30m for Gotze before he signed his new contract. Supposedly we bid a good bit for Hazard as well (not sure on this one).

There's rumours we did. I very much doubt we did bid for either though, and if we did bid I'd say it was tiny amounts just so Wenger could say 'we tried to sign him'.

• Advertisement

David Ornstein of BBC sport just confirmed that we are still in for Villa and DO have back up targets if they fail to sign him. Thank ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

cson wrote: »
    Anyone know when ESPN/ITV publicise the TV times for the 5th round FA Cup? Looking to book flights for the Blackburn match but don't want to be left in the lurch.

Dunno but i'd say they're done/out

& This was on the clubs site yesterday http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/date-set-for-fa-cup-clash-against-blackburn

In positive news, it looks like Wenger got a new coat, or got the old zip repaired so "it's like a new coat" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Sigh... we can't lose to City, Chelsea and Liverpool in the same month and be a top club.

Sigh... we can't lose to City, Chelsea and Liverpool in the same month and be a top club.

We are a second half team. Wait until the match is over before we start the autopsy. I still have some faith we can win it!

We are a second half team. Wait until the match is over before we start the autopsy. I still have some faith we can win it!

No doubt we will get chances but i do worry about us at the back and thats before Santos came on.

Bye bye Champions league :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Our defense is great :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Spurs are losing.

Tomorrow is a big day for Wenger. A large portion of fans will call for his head if he doesn't pull off a deadline day miracle.

Nice goal from Olly there, well back in it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Santos needs to be dumped. I don't know why we haven't made an effort to sign someone like Leighton Baines, a player who can defend and who has the added bonus of being able to cross. At this stage that position should be a priority.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hello champions league :p

Should win this now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Santos is a Liability!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

seklly wrote: »
    Santos is a Liability!

We were very lucky that Liverpool didn't target him. You can imagine that Stoke won't be so naive !

Feels like 2 points dropped after some of the misses we had but was another good second half performance.

Very happy with our attitude to the game tonight. I did think we were gonna f*ck it up at the end, mind you :D

seklly wrote: »
    Santos is a Liability!

Good god did you see the stray pass?? shocking!... and then the useless cnut only walked back after it....Disgrace :mad:

Mert had a few hairy moments tonight. For a guy who is 'Well able to read the game' his legs dont seem to react to any scenario. Turned his arse to the first and didnt make an attempt to force Henderson back for the other one. Very poor player for such an experienced international.

Ollie is terrific. Cop on now Wenger and buy a player or two. Weakness isnt buying the likes of MBiwa during the January window, weakness is losing points and we lost 2 valuable points tonight against a poor Liverpool side because you are satisfied the likes of Santos and Arshavin are good enough cover. :mad:

By the way where is Rosicky these times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Would have getting in a few defenders a priority over a striker nearly at the moment. We concede too many sloppy goals, both conceded were easily preventable. We look much sharper now in attack but i nearly have to close my eyes every time the opposition gets into our half knowing we may self implode at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Didnt see what happened to Gibbs, was it bad? If he's out we absolutely have to sign a left back tomorrow. Dont want to see Vermaelen pulled out there but Santos cannot start again. He made Downing look good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Another bad start, but again we got better after half time. I just wish Wenger would give his half time talk before the game so we can start good for a change.

Spurs drawing is some consolation tonight. I really think Chelsea have third sewn up and it's between us and Spurs for 4th this year. We just need to make sure that we match or better their result every week, and then it's ours I feel. A draw against Liverpool even at home, feels better than an away draw to Norwich.

Also it's the first time I've enjoyed the banter in a match thread in a long time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Everyone go to sleep tonight thinking of Neymar and Vidal.

It'll work I tells ya!

I said in a post before the game that we needed to focus from the start and not concede early.
    We did what we have been doing regularly again tonight.
    Stupid stupid defending. 3 mistakes for their first goal.
    Not good enough and 2 points dropped again.
    Sagna looked like he was on ice, Vermailen has a hole in his boot and Ramsey miskicked in his own area while trying to be smart. Failure.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Also it's the first time I've enjoyed the banter in a match thread in a long time :D

I'm taking full credit for Walcotts goal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Chelsea thrown it away again, dont rule us out of 3rd or fourth yet. Everyone looking very inconsistant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

n4fffd2de6d5bb.gif

Me every time the ball came within a country mile of Santos - or he was even shown on screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Hearing good news that Fernabache may put in a bid for Santos. Suppose it will depend on the fitness of Gibbs. Would rather Meade there or any u16 left back we have laying around over Santos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Calamity defending our downfall yet again, although the attitude of the team after going 2 behind was great so a few positives to take from tonight.

Cazorla - immense tonight hassled and harried every ball
    Wilshire - well what can you say about this lad, he is going to be world class on the level of iniesta superb talent and wear his heart on his sleeve
    Giroud - if he gets the service he will score goals simple as that, sublime touch for such a big lad
    Walcott - did okay but at times when he receives the ball you just get the feeling he will lose it stupidly, nice finish for our equaliser

Negatives
    Chesney - few decent stops but he just isnt ready for regular first team football, going to cost us a few goals in big games (hope im wrong tho)
    Sagna - his performances are alarmingly poor lately maybe needs a rest
    Ramsey - did okay I suppose but I just dont think he is a good enough player to start for Arsenal FC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

anyone would be better than Santos, he doesnt know what hes doing. Simply cant compete at this level, not good enough. Would take any fullback as a replacement for him

Czsz was very poor tonight. Getting anxious every time the ball goes near him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Me every time the ball came within a country mile of Santos - or he was even shown on screen.

How about Vermaelen? Never seen such an uncoordinated defender in my life. Unless the ball plants itself on his foot he can't clear it, and even then he struggles to get it further than the edge of the box, incredible stuff. Genuinely would rather see Miquel play than Vermaelen, hes been absolutely awful for 18 months now. Sagna's slip was unlucky, but another case of him ****ing up really badly. I know Kosc gave away a pen the other week but he really needs to start, and so does Jenkinson. Everyone has been saying we might need to change to Jenks but Wenger hasn't acted quick enough and it has cost us again.

On the positives I thought Ramsey, Wilshere and Giroud were very good.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement