Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    It means nothing. It doesnt make anyone a better player, it just makes them more likely to be sold at Arsenal.

Its ment nothing to Arsenal for a long while cause we havent really had great captains in recent time but if you have a good captain I do think it can make a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

jonny666 wrote: »
    Its ment nothing to Arsenal for a long while cause we havent really had great captains in recent time but if you have a good captain I do think it can make a difference

Hopefully Roy Keane will come out of retirement and sign a 5yr contract so ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Arteta is a great captain and would like to see him keep the armband until he retires and then pass it on to Jack

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Tet is de-facto captain anyway I reckon.

We're being linked to Paul Pogba again - anyone seen much of him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Nothing really I know about him but his name constantly reminds me of these bad boys.

tumblr_kzcjllevua1qbo1mmo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

We were apparently looking at him before United signed him.

He seems to have had a very, very good season. I know a LOT of United fans were pissed with Fergie for letting him go. A good amount of United fans think he would have been the perfect player to partner Carrick in the middle.

Whenever I've seen him, it's hard to think that he wouldnt just walk into the team. He's young, quality and is only going to get better. He'd be a great signing but he wouldnt come cheap. The £15m that has been thrown around will never happen. Three years on his contract and Juve dont need to sell. Looking at easily £25m imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Reports saying we're close to signing Júlio César on a two year contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

tuttomercatoweb an italian site, are saying a 2 year deal for cesar, to be agreed within hours

Grenier, the guy from lyon says he's made a decision on his future

someone from Fiorentina has said they haven't started talking to anyone yet about Jovetic

TheBza wrote: »
    Reports saying we're close to signing Júlio César on a two year contract.

I really hope this is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Personally thought he was pretty shite at QPR last year, a far cry from his performances at Inter. Lots of basic errors, poor handling and distribution from what I seen. I think it would be worth spending a bit of money to get a better keeper, but if it keeps you away from Mignolet I'm all for it :)

Paully D wrote: »
    Personally thought he was pretty shite at QPR last year, a far cry from his performances at Inter. Lots of basic errors, poor handling and distribution from what I seen. I think it would be worth spending a bit of money to get a better keeper, but if it keeps you away from Mignolet I'm all for it :)

I dont think he was too bad. That QPR defense was really bad which didnt help him. He didnt become a bad goalkeeper in a year. Having him there would really push szczesny. Competition is always good

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

For me there's no question that vermaelen will keep the captaincy, regardless of what we may think wenger won't do it. He's only ever removed the armband from one player, and that was coz gallas is insane

Verm already lost the captaincy I thought? Even when he came off the bench after being dropped he wasn't given the armband. Seriously doubt he'll be captain next year if he stays.

I dont think he was too bad. That QPR defense was really bad which didnt help him. He didnt become a bad goalkeeper in a year. Having him there would really push szczesny. Competition is always good

Yeah I've said to a few people I didn't think he was that good but many have said they thought he did okay given what was in front of him. Whenever I had the misfortune of seeing QPR last year I thought he'd regressed a lot, his reactions look a lot slower to me.

That said, I could easily be proven wrong, he's been recalled for Brazil and their manager knows a lot more than I do about him. I hope he does well for you. I just think, from a personal point of view, that Arsenal should and could get better.

Yeah I've said to a few people I didn't think he was that good but many have said they thought he did okay given what was in front of him. Whenever I had the misfortune of seeing QPR last year I thought he'd regressed a lot, his reactions look a lot slower to me.

That said, I could easily be proven wrong, he's been recalled for Brazil and their manager knows a lot more than I do about him. I hope he does well for you. I just think, from a personal point of view, that Arsenal should and could get better.

Hopefully it was just being at QPR. No one seemed to give a ****e if they won or lost. Toxic dressing room. A title push next season :D with Arsenal would get him sharp again.

Who you reckon we should be aiming for?

Hopefully it was just being at QPR. No one seemed to give a ****e if they won or lost. Toxic dressing room. A title push next season :D with Arsenal would get him sharp again.

I think Arsenal would be better suited going for a young, but talented goalkeeper. Someone like ter Stegen, Muslera would be excellent signings but would cost quite a bit, to be fair. Another that is young (in goalkeeping terms) but would still be a better option than Cesar, IMO, would be Adler.

Another interesting option would be Diego Lopez at Real Madrid. Casillias will be back as number one when Mourinho leaves and Lopez has been excellent this season. He's also done it for years at Villarreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I really don't think we need a keeper unless Fabianski is leaving otherwise Im more than happy with Sczez and Fabianski.

If Fabianski does leave then yeh maybe someone like Cesar who is in his more mature years is ideal as I still have a lot of faith Sczez will be a top class keeper.

I think Arsenal would be better suited going for a young, but talented goalkeeper. Someone like ter Stegen, Muslera would be excellent signings but would cost quite a bit, to be fair. Another that is young (in goalkeeping terms) but would still be a better option than Cesar, IMO, would be Adler.

Another interesting option would be Diego Lopez at Real Madrid. Casillias will be back as number one when Mourinho leaves and Lopez has been excellent this season. He's also done it for years at Villarreal.

No I'm happy we got an older player on a short enough deal. I think Szcz is goina be a great goalkeeper for us and will benefit from having someone older and more experienced pushin him for a starting spot. I think he lost focus during the season when fabinski was out of favour. Hopefully he will push on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'd much rather we kept Fabianski instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Twitter red hot at the moment. Apparently Cesar is a done deal and has been for a few days. Expecting it to be formally announced soon! Fingers crossed!

https://twitter.com/Now__Football/status/340569641086754816

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The Cesar story sounds like hokum to me too.

Not particularly enthused with the prospect of him signing at any rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I agree with some posters that we probably don't need a new keeper. I'm a big fan of Szezsny and Fabianski was great for the few games he played last season but I think a lot of people are underestimating how good Cesar is. He took a while to get going at QPR but actually did alright for them. They finished bottom yet I don't remember them being beaten 4 or 5 nil on too many occasions. Their problem was lack of goals scored last season. Not to mention the fact that before going to QPR he would have been considered one of the top keepers in the world. I think he'd be a good signing as long as Ches is willing to take a bit more of a back seat and learn from him.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Quote from Grenier:
    "I have more or less made a decision about which club I want to join," said Grenier.

"I have made the choice for sporting reasons above all. Arsenal? It could well be them.

"There would be competition for places, but you get that at all big clubs and it does not stop me making my decision.

"I am still young, but I have always set myself targets and I do everything possible to exceed them."

Nothing concrete really but still. How good is this lad anyone know? Never heard of him before he was linked to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Don't know much about Grenier but he has a reputation for being excellent at direct free kicks. If he's as good as Juninho used to be at Lyon then he could well be worth a punt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

He only scored two free kicks and everyone started comparing him to Juninho :pac:
    Looks very tidy player though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Rumors in Italy that you lot could sign Jovetic by the end of next week.

He's a great player, and better than any of your current forwards.

But where would you play him? I'm not sure if he's what you need centrally. Would you swap Podolski into the centre and lay JoJo on the left of the attack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Seaneh wrote: »
    Rumors in Italy that you lot could sign Jovetic by the end of next week.

He's a great player, and better than any of your current forwards.

But where would you play him? I'm not sure if he's what you need centrally. Would you swap Podolski into the centre and lay JoJo on the left of the attack?

When we play Walcott, Giroud, Pod as the front three, our striking options from the bench are ... Gervinho.

I'm not sure where he'd play but left or through the middle, we need him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

If you want a keeper with premiership experience I'd prefer Berkovic or Krul to Cesar. Until central spine of the team learn to defend better any keeper is going to struggle and if this was addressed there may be no need to change our polish duo.

If you want a keeper with premiership experience I'd prefer Berkovic or Krul to Cesar. Until central spine of the team learn to defend better any keeper is going to struggle and if this was addressed there may be no need to change our polish duo.

Our defending for the second part of the season as a team was excellent. As has been said, the spurs game highlighted how sh*t we've been at defending to the players themselves and they responded to it. Verm getting dropped and Kos getting the nod has made that partnership in central defense one of the best at the club for many a year.

Keep that defensive edge for the new season and get more clinical going forward by adding one or two new threats and we will be there abouts next season.

Keeper front having Cesar come in as a winner and a proven goalkeeper can only be a good thing for the keepers to see someone who has done it and can give tips to progress them.

Fcuk me I miss the premiership on a Saturday.

• Advertisement

Cesc putting an end to the United rumours

Cesc Fabregas (on a Catalan Radio Station) "All rumours linking me with Man United are false, I will not join Man United."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Cesc putting an end to the United rumours

Cesc Fabregas (on a Catalan Radio Station) "All rumours linking me with Man United are false, I will not join Man United."

Interesting that he didn't say he was staying at Barca.

Our first signing of the summer one for the future

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Just back from a weeks holidays, did I miss anything important?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Higuain saying that he's played his last game for Madrid. Time for some wild speculation no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,475 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Will we have room for them all?

Real Sociedad got 4th in la liga meaning them & pacos de ferreira (portugal) are 2 teams that arsenal can get in the CL playoff round

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Real Sociedad got 4th in la liga meaning them & pacos de ferreira (portugal) are 2 teams that arsenal can get in the CL playoff round

actually Sociedad aren't guaranteed opponents yet but all the seeded teams in the 3rd round would need to lose - so nearly certain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

lads anyone know of any other arsenal forums with a good bit of activity? used to be a good bit of craic/news/good general chat in the old skysports forums but they're gone a while now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Real Sociedad are going to be unseeded for the Champions League playoff draw.

If all the seeded teams won their games in the round previous your opponents would be one of:

PSV Eindhoven
    Metalist Kharkiv
    Fenerbahce
    Real Sociedad
    Pacos de Ferreira

Still an if though. Only Real Sociedad and Pacos de Ferreira are guaranteed potential opponents right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

darego wrote: »
    lads anyone know of any other arsenal forums with a good bit of activity? used to be a good bit of craic/news/good general chat in the old skysports forums but they're gone a while now

Came across this one lately http://www.39t.co/forum/12-39-trophies/ Haven't really had a chance to look at it properly yet but it's look decent enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I missed Brazil v England today. I hear Oxo's goal was a belter.. Anyone got a clip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Galvasean wrote: »
    I missed Brazil v England today. I hear Oxo's goal was a belter.. Anyone got a clip?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Denilsion is gone
    Sad sad day :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Jaafa wrote: »
    Higuain saying that he's played his last game for Madrid. Time for some wild speculation no?

In my opinion, we should go balls out for Higuain.

He has 107ish goals for Real in 187ish appearances, the context of this being that Benzema challenges him for appearances, and Ronaldo obviously is the main goalscoring threat, and thus probably takes a fair share away from Higuain.

There should be a €30m transfer bid and €150k a week salary package slapped down in front of him and Madrid tomorrow evening. No messing here.

He's only 25, and he could be our Bergkamp style signing of this generation (an utterly transformational signing).

And Cesc as well please.
    Allow me day dream for a while - Santi, Cesc, Jack and Higuain in the one team.
    Oh Lawd.

Denilsion is gone

Good news. The club are taking a practical viewpoint that its better to clear the deadwood out than wait around hoping for a transfer fee.

They have done the same with the youth set up too.

Just get rid of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Don't see why we couldnt or shouldnt get Higuain tbh

He is the type of player we should be targeting. Proven ability in the CL, mid 20's.

I was watching a match from the 03-04 season the other day and the sheer gulf in class between that team and now is phenomenal. We have no world class game changers like we had then. If this were football manager I would have already signed Higuain, and have been targeting David Villa and also Victor Valdes.

Denilsion is gone

Offset by the fact Santos is back

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Don't see why we couldnt or shouldnt get Higuain tbh

He is the type of player we should be targeting. Proven ability in the CL, mid 20's.

I was watching a match from the 03-04 season the other day and the sheer gulf in class between that team and now is phenomenal. We have no world class game changers like we had then. If this were football manager I would have already signed Higuain, and have been targeting David Villa and also Victor Valdes.

I don't think Villa offers enough long term. Do we really need to spend big on a goalie like Valdes?

We have Cesar is the bag, and that as back up for Szcz is good enough for me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement