Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Higuaín would be amazing. We spurned far too many chances this year, Higuaín is far more clinical than anyone we have at the club currently.

An established Argentinian international in his mid 20's with a record of a goal in just over every two games for Madrid, plenty of those appearances having been from the bench in the last two season too.

I've been a big fan of his for an age now, this was like two years ago:

http://backpagefootball.com/gonzalo-higuain-%E2%80%93-the-most-important-part-of-the-madrid-puzzle/15199/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

No concerns of him being a bit powderpuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

No concerns of him being a bit powderpuff?

Nope. 107 goals for Madrid, 20 in 35 for Argentina.

Just how I like all my powderpuffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

We should go all out too get him but he have to want to come too but I suspect he will hold out for juve
    An who could blame him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

The fact that Juve are interested in both Higuain and Jovetic bodes well for us there not going to sign both are they

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

We should go all out too get him but he have to want to come too but I suspect he will hold out for juve
    An who could blame him

I think we are as attractive as Juventus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

An who could blame him

Why do you suspect he will hold out for Juve? There not the European powerhouse they once were nor is the Serie A.

TBH if we sign Higuain or Jovetic I would be delighted with either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Why do you suspect he will hold out for Juve? There not the European powerhouse they once were nor is the Serie A.

TBH if we sign Higuain or Jovetic I would be delighted with either of them.

There winning titles were not close to winning titles

There winning titles were not close to winning titles

I still don't see them as a bigger draw, they have downgraded to a smaller stadium, the Italian league in general is suffering, I think Juve with or without titles are not much of a bigger draw than Arsenal.

Especially if Wenger and the club show finally that as we all hope are ready to start challenging again by making some big signings and bringing the right kind of players in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Juves title success recently is what I think makes them more attractive at the moment

• Advertisement

Juves title success recently is what I think makes them more attractive at the moment

Yeh but my thinking on this one it all really depends on a players ambitions, were Arsenal in Serie A im pretty sure would be title challengers.

If a player just want titles be aswell joining Celtic as Juve these days, or they could join Arsenal playing to a bigger crowd week in week out in a better more challenging league, with a team if what we hope is true that will be challenging again soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

meriwether wrote: »
    I don't think Villa offers enough long term. Do we really need to spend big on a goalie like Valdes?

We have Cesar is the bag, and that as back up for Szcz is good enough for me.

We've had enough long term future signings, some that worked out and some that didn't.

I think it is about time that we made some present signings. Wenger wont be around forever, we need to win NOW and not be solely planning for the future. Villa is a world class striker, oodles better than any we have. Higuain also is a class above our current lot.

Valdes is well better than Szecesny (sp). Szecesny is a good prospect but is not as good as any of the other top 6 side's keepers. Valdes is an upgrade now in terms of ability.

Remember - next season is 2013/14, ten years since we won the league. Good enough ? NO!

Max Power1 wrote: »
    We've had enough long term future signings, some that worked out and some that didn't.

I think it is about time that we made some present signings. Wenger wont be around forever, we need to win NOW and not be solely planning for the future. Villa is a world class striker, oodles better than any we have. Higuain also is a class above our current lot.

Valdes is well better than Szecesny (sp). Szecesny is a good prospect but is not as good as any of the other top 6 side's keepers. Valdes is an upgrade now in terms of ability.

Remember - next season is 2013/14, ten years since we won the league. Good enough ? NO!

Yeh but I think what he was getting at the Villa would only be a short term fix were as Higuain or Jovetic are more long term top class signings something I think most of us would prefer ;).

On Valdes fcuk no, he is not a top class keeper at all. Im happy with our lot in goal, but if Ceasar is to come ill take him he's a much better keeper than Valdes plus Valdes has already stated he will be seeing out his final year with Barcelona so its a bit of a non starter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

I reckon we should splash out and get Higuaín. I don't think Jovetic can compete with van Persie of Saurez for top goalscorer.

Also, these Valdes suggestions are starting to piss me off. Do any of yous actually watch Barcelona play? Just because Valdes plays for one of the greatest teams in history, it doesn't actually mean the guy is any good. If any of yous watched Barca play, you'll note the Valdes is prone to errors. Our keepers are prone to errors and you guys want to replace them with another keeper prone to errors? Use your heads, for fuck's sake. At Arsenal, we transform players into superstars, not take someone's leftovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I reckon we should splash out and get Higuaín. I don't think Jovetic can compete with van Persie of Saurez for top goalscorer.

Also, these Valdes suggestions are starting to piss me off. Do any of yous actually watch Barcelona play? Just because Valdes plays for one of the greatest teams in history, it doesn't actually mean the guy is any good. If any of yous watched Barca play, you'll note the Valdes is prone to errors. Our keepers are prone to errors and you guys want to replace them with another keeper prone to errors? Use your heads, for fuck's sake. At Arsenal, we transform players into superstars, not take someone's leftovers.

And win nothing for 10 years and sell on our best players for half nothing...

Yes we know! It is time for a change!

And use your head for "fcuks sake" as you say. Leftovers from Barca would walk into most other sides. Sure even Cesc wasnt getting his game every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Max Power1 wrote: »
    And win nothing for 10 years and sell on our best players for half nothing...

Yes we know! It is time for a change!

And use your head for "fcuks sake" as you say. Leftovers from Barca would walk into most other sides. Sure even Cesc wasnt getting his game every week.

Half nothing? Adebayor, Nasri and several other would disagree, none of them (other than Fabregas) would I want back either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,475 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

meriwether wrote: »
    I think we are as attractive as Juventus.

“Everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home.”

“Everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home.”

Nah I do think Barca, Real, United,City, Chelsea, Bayern and probably even Dortmund have a prettier wife at home ;) which is why I hate when there linked to the same players as us because it effectively means were screwed. Juve not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Nah I do think Barca, Real, United,City, Chelsea, Bayern and probably even Dortmund have a prettier wife at home ;) which is why I hate when there linked to the same players as us because it effectively means were screwed. Juve not so much.

Our wife hasn't put out in a long fcuking time. The wagon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's either...

Arsenal: 'we want this striker'

Agent: 'oh well Juve are interested too so it'll be that bit more expensive'

Or

Juve: 'we want this striker'

Agent: 'oh well Arsenal are interested too so it'll be that bit more expensive'

Or

Tumbleweed...

Panicked Agent: 'both Arsenal and Juve are in for this guy'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Juve have had to curb their spending. They wont be splashing out big money all that often. If we really want him, I think we could get him provided someone like City dont stick their noses in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

surprised Rooney's not being talked about here today, after the stories off the back of the wenger interview

http://www.en.aljazeerasport.tv/OurProgrammes/clip/2216730 @ 23 mins

batistuta9 wrote: »
    surprised Rooney's not being talked about here today, after the stories off the back of the wenger interview

http://www.en.aljazeerasport.tv/OurProgrammes/clip/2216730 @ 23 mins

Yeh I didn't think there was much to take from it to be honest saw the quotes and he just states like most managers he would have an interest in him and not really giving much away. Really can't see Rooney ending up at Arsenal. More interesting was the fact he gave away he has been in contact with Fabregas.

But Fabregas came out tonight and has said he is happy at Barcelona so talks with Titi must have went well.

it confirms he's interested though or would be interested if he does want to leave

But Fabregas came out tonight and has said he is happy at Barcelona so talks with Titi must have went well.
    Going by how Arsenal works, he's be signed tomorrow :pac:

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »

:pac: you never know.

Just seen these quotes from Jovetic hope there real.

Jovetić: "An offer from another Serie A side? I would not consider it, I would feel like an enemy of myself."

Jovetić: "Rumours suggest I will join Arsenal? I like the club, the manager and the players. A realistic possibility."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

On the Higuain/Jovetic rumours...

I've never been too fond of Higuain. Haven't seen much of him but he's always seemed more of a traditional poacher type, i.e. great for getting on the end of things but if you're not making the chances in the first place he's not going to offer you much. I personally think we've enough goals in the squad with Podolski/Walcott/Cazorla/Giroud that we don't need a player who's going to guarantee us 20 goals a season, but rather the player who's going to unlock the tight defences.

Jovetic sounds the better option to me because he's always come across a more mobile player, he can play the central striker, using his touch and passing to bring others into play, but he's not bad at running at players if he gets isolated. I think he could be used to alernate with the wide players which would mean more goals from Podolski/Walcott than with Higuain at the top.

As for Valdez, I've always though he's not much better than Almunia in commanding his box. I'd be afraid the cloggers in the league would be too much for him. Wrong option imo, rather Cesar, a player who was much more commanding in his peak (and isn't too old to regain his form a la VDS).

Id love Fabregas back but could we accommodate Jack, Santi, and Cesc at the one club? Someone would have to make-way out of Santi and Jack and to be honest while Jack has had his injury problems id prefer him to Santi but thats just my opinion. All hypothetical scenarios of course

As for Jovetic..good player but id prefer to sign Higuain tbh or even David Villa who are both prolific goalscorers. Yes Jovetic has bagged a few in miserly Italy but is he a goalscoring type or more of a second striker?
    Is buying a new striker the end for Pod? Would be very unfair if this is the case as Pod has had a decent first season imo.

I think Verms days could be numbered and Djourou will likely go also. Were linked with Skrtl who im not quite sure is the type of centre back we should go for. We definately need to strengthen that centre back area though. Will Miquel make the step up?

If you'd believe all you'd read we have Julio Cesar all but signed which would render one or both of Fabrianski or Mannone's (or perhaps even Chesneys) days as numbered.

Interesting times ahead

As for Rooney while he has undoubted class, i have to wonder as to his frame of mind to put in a transfer request at United. He looks out of shape and his body language even for England the other night suggests he is only half arsed about the game at the moment. While he showed glimpses of his old self, im not so sure breaking the bank for him would be such a wise move at this time. He could have a very counter productive effect on the Arsenal dressing room similar to the one Alan Ball had back in the 70s when he joined the double winning side and received two fold the pay of the others who didnt get a raise despite winning Arsenal the double. Granted alot of our current team havent tasted that level of success but it would still cause a rift in the dressing room for one player to be on such huge wages at the club and im not so sure on current form he deserves it.

Id love Fabregas back but could we accommodate Jack, Santi, and Cesc at the one club? Someone would have to make-way out of Santi and Jack and to be honest while Jack has had his injury problems id prefer him to Santi but thats just my opinion. All hypothetical scenarios of course

Drop Wilshere a little deeper. He has done some of his best work there imo. Cazorla could also play out wide. We could also try a diamond with two up top.
    If you'd believe all you'd read we have Julio Cesar all but signed which would render one or both of Fabrianski or Mannone's (or perhaps even Chesneys) days as numbered.

Fabianski is out of contract.

No tears being shed for Denilson?

Good to see we're getting rid of some of the deadwood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Yeh I didn't think there was much to take from it to be honest saw the quotes and he just states like most managers he would have an interest in him and not really giving much away. Really can't see Rooney ending up at Arsenal. More interesting was the fact he gave away he has been in contact with Fabregas.

Apparently that quote is a couple of months old

greendom wrote: »
    Apparently that quote is a couple of months old

Yeh I seen that this morning, barcastuff who the quotes came from was telling fibs.

Is meant to be true though tha Cesc is scheduled to have talks with titi that will decide his future.

Yeh I seen that this morning, barcastuff who the quotes came from was telling fibs.

Is meant to be true though tha Cesc is scheduled to have talks with titi that will decide his future.

Whats afccamden's twitter name? (assume you use it because of the barcastuff comment)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Tbh I'd only like Jovetic or Higuain because we're linked with them. I would much prefer someone who is a quality finisher and then someone on the wings who isn't one dimensional. Jovetic is too similar to Cazorla and Higuain just seems lackluster (in the same way Giroud can be).

Can't think of any players like what we need off the top of my head, Rooney is an obvious one but he brings a lot of baggage with him. On the other hand, he would attract better quality players in too. It's not my money so I'm all for him right now (we can forgive that dive ;) ) but I can see why he won't/wouldn't come

I'd much prefer Higuain or Jovetic to Rooney. Higuain is a much better finisher than Giroud. And you can never have enough players like Santi, even though Jovetic is a bit different by all accounts. More physical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Sagna in talks over a new contract ..Happy with that even though he hasn't been the best at times this season, It'll be good for Jenks i reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

If we could get In Williams and keep sagna and TV5, thats a very strong back 8 then!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sagna in talks over a new contract ..Happy with that even though he hasn't been the best at times this season, It'll be good for Jenks i reckon

Yeah, hope he stays. I really think Jenks will make the step up in the next few seasons and Sagna will be a perfect back up/mentor.

Koscielny : "I hope the club will show ambition, if not I'll leave"
    Here we go again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Raf32 wrote: »
    Here we go again

Where's this from?

• Advertisement

Raf32 wrote: »
    Here we go again

Other quotes I've seen from the same interview (can't say I've seen your version anywhere else). But in any case, the fans also want the club to show ambition so he's not wrong.

"I feel good at Arsenal, if we have ambition to fight against the other teams of course I want to stay here"

“I do not want to go anywhere. Of course I want to know another championship, but it’s complicated."

“I want to win titles and I hope the club has the means. It deserves it"

http://news.arseblog.com/2013/06/koscielny-i-feel-good-at-arsenal-but-want-titles/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Koscienly is right though. Now is the time to show the ambition.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Whats afccamden's twitter name? (assume you use it because of the barcastuff comment)

His twitter name these days is DC@deanLDN22, he doesn't give as much information as he used to though. Think he got rumbled as afccamden.

On kos I don't think he will leave think he's just trying to give arsenal a nudge in the right direction.

Drop Wilshere a little deeper. He has done some of his best work there imo. Cazorla could also play out wide. We could also try a diamond with two up top.

Fabianski is out of contract

Looks like he'll move on so. He played ok for us when called upon this season to be fair to the lad

Strong rumours of Ashley Williams on the twitter machine at the moment and apparently we are playing hardball with QPR over the fee for Cesar, refusing to part with anymore than £1m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Strong rumours of Ashley Williams on the twitter machine at the moment and apparently we are playing hardball with QPR over the fee for Cesar, refusing to part with anymore than £1m

Didn't we do the same with another keeper 2 or 3 years ago? Only offered like 200k and they wanted half a million.

Just give them the fûcking money Wenger you tight ass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,475 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What we have are as good as Cesar in my opinion. He loves the t.v. saves diving all over the place when a good keeper would just catch the ball like Jennings used to do (sometimes with one hand). Can't stand showmen.

If we are going to buy a keeper then let's buy an improvement on what we have.

jonny666 wrote: »
    Didn't we do the same with another keeper 2 or 3 years ago? Only offered like 200k and they wanted half a million.

Just give them the fûcking money Wenger you tight ass

Its headwrecking no doubt.

You get the feeling there is possibly another club waiting in the wings to pounce and here we are squabbling over peanuts for a 5-time Scudetto and Champions league winner

• Advertisement

What we have are as good as Cesar in my opinion. He loves the t.v. saves diving all over the place when a good keeper would just catch the ball like Jennings used to do (sometimes with one hand). Can't stand showmen.

If we are going to buy a keeper then let's buy an improvement on what we have.

The only goalkeeper around with the same features of Jennings at present is our own David Forde (not even daring to suggest he is as good or anything) and its no coincidence that both have technique of taking the ball and bringing it straight into their chest. A skill transfering from their respective Gaelic Football days no doubt.

I think Cesar will keep Ches on his toes at the very least and that can only be a good thing for a young goalkeeper

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement