Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Cant believe people are saying Cesar is no better than what we have, lads this fella is the Brazilian no.1 with 67 caps and has played at the very highest level most of his career. 5 Serie A titles, 3 Coppa Italias and a Champions League winner plus voted Serie A keeper twice and Uefa Club keeper of the year to name but some of his honours. Hes a top class goalkeeper something we havent had since Lehmann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Cant believe people are saying Cesar is no better than what we have, lads this fella is the Brazilian no.1 with 67 caps and has played at the very highest level most of his career. 5 Serie A titles, 3 Coppa Italias and a Champions League winner plus voted Serie A keeper twice and Uefa Club keeper of the year to name but some of his honours. Hes a top class goalkeeper something we havent had since Lehmann.

In 2000 Manchester United signed the French no.1 with 40 odd caps who had played at a fairly high level in his career winning 3 French titles, a Champions League, the World Cup and a European Championship. Despite his impressive CV he turned out to be prone to being dodgy as fcuk, and was dropped several times throughout his 3 year United career. We need to look beyond the CV in fairness.

Cesar is good, but I fully agree with tayto lover, way too prone to the fancy athletic saves and punching for my liking. Also, I rate Szczesny very highly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

I think the problem is he was a top class goalie, no longer I'm afraid. You think a bigger club then qpr wouldn't have come in for him. Also bear in mind he has those caps in a time when Brazilian goalkeepers haven't exactly excelled themselves.

At this stage of both of their careers szcz is the first choice option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Look how Van Der Sar worked out for Utd lads, Cesar is only 33 so hes at the peak of his powers in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

If we are only paying a few million I couldn't care less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Kosclienly is right. He is good enough to play for the likes of Barcelona so obviously he wants to be competing. Saying that, I dont see him going anywhere. He's just trying to push for the signings we need. I reckon he's with us for the long haul if we show we're moving in the right direction.
    Santos was also a Brazialian international. Squillaci a French international. Doesnt mean anything. I wouldnt be budging from the £1m mark, thats for sure. If he is so great how come nobody else is interested? Likely because he is past it. There are far better options out there, even in the same country.

Szczesny is a much better option. He is younger, an Arsenal lad and easily as good if not better (imo he is better) at his job.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

We've signed this chap according to Sky Italy.

Just seen that on Twitter there now but also apparently Sky italia are not the most reliable of sources.

Whats going to become of Joel Campbell? Can he make it? or the Bolivian youngster we signed some time ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

10 goals in 25 appearances seems decent for an 18 year old. Wonder would we sign him and that Sinoko guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Just seen that on Twitter there now but also apparently Sky italia are not the most reliable of sources.

Whats going to become of Joel Campbell? Can he make it? or the Bolivian youngster we signed some time ago?

Bolivian chap not a chance, think he could be in the 3rd spanish tier. I still think campbell will get a chance at the club, one more year in spain and he will get his permit w/out ye special talent exemption.

Remember wellington silva, went to see reserves play utd in tallaght bout 3 years ago and was dead excited to see him play and score. Now he just seems to like pizza.

• Advertisement

stuchyg wrote: »
    Bolivian chap not a chance, think he could be in the 3rd spanish tier. I still think campbell will get a chance at the club, one more year in spain and he will get his permit w/out ye special talent exemption.

Remember wellington silva, went to see reserves play utd in tallaght bout 3 years ago and was dead excited to see him play and score. Now he just seems to like pizza.

I remember Silva. Pity to hear him catch Santos syndrome. Seen a youtube vid of Mitrovic. Built like a tank. Judging him on his scoring record though would be like judging the scoring record of an SPL striker as a similar duopoly between the Belgrade clubs occurs out there **Assuming he has actually signed of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Be wierd to sign him and Sanogo with Akpom around too. Don't really need 3 young strikers, especially with our system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

AdamD wrote: »
    Be wierd to sign him and Sanogo with Akpom around too. Don't really need 3 young strikers, especially with our system.

And there's Afobe too. Surely there isn't room to give them all a chance.

They wont all work out anyway. A few years ago we were in a similar position with Aliadiere, Lupoli and someone else. None of them worked out. We're increasing the chances of getting a hit. Just once they arent on £60,000 a week or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

His twitter name these days is DC@deanLDN22, he doesn't give as much information as he used to though. Think he got rumbled as afccamden.

cheers, i thought it was something beginning with a 'd'

seen DarrenArsenal1 & thought it was him, a good few of the others follow him (geoffArsenal, arseblog, tim stillman, etc.) you follow him?

you know on the home page do all the peoples tweets not show up there?
    it only shows some on mine

We finally won something. The fair play league.....

If it helps, spurs were second. They cant even beat us in fair play :pac:

We just released 16 young players from thr u21s. Of course we can accommodate 3 strikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

And there's Afobe too. Surely there isn't room to give them all a chance.

I'd day afobe is finished way too many injuries poor fella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Good post by Arseblog on the Koscielny comments

http://t.co/kDVfOozpc4

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    They wont all work out anyway. A few years ago we were in a similar position with Aliadiere, Lupoli and someone else. None of them worked out. We're increasing the chances of getting a hit. Just once they arent on £60,000 a week or something.

Yeah tbf your Jack Wilshere's and your Cesc Fabregas are rare jewels in this era. There is almost a science into developing youth now. So many stats and attributes involved in player analysis that what we fail to see from brief player cameos could be spotted a mile off by coaches, etc at any given football club. Look at Federico Macheda for example who looked superb back in 2009 but Stuttgart are just after rejecting the chance to sign him permanently from United who want rid

Its a bit like casting a huge net into the sea and only a small percentage of the fish caught will be fit for the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I just seen this on facebook under Premier League News. No other source than that.
    Gonzalo Higuain: "I have offers many outside Spain, but I decided to accept the offer of Arsenal, but that does not mean that I have finished all the procedures move to Arsenal, but there are still negotiations between me and them"

"I decided to go there because I'm still young and I see that the way the team played for me too and you'll get used to there quickly"

Seems to be on a few blogs but they all just link back to various facebook pages so almost 100% bogus./

Quazzie wrote: »
    I just seen this on facebook under Premier League News. No other source than that.

Say it's BS to be honest. We can dream though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Alot of reports today linking Tevez with Juve so that could pave the way for Arsenal signing Higuain. Im unsure of who I would prefer between Higuain and Jovetic. I havent seen much of either other than Youtube highlight reels. I wont complain If we sign both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Andrey Arshavin, Denilson and Sebastien Squillaci will leave the Club when they come to the end of their contracts on June 30, and Arsenal would like to take this opportunity to thank them for their contribution and wish them well for the future.

Just on the Arsenal website.....

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/arsenal-trio-set-to-leave-the-club

:)

No mention of Fabianski?

Fabianski still has 1 year to go as I recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

batistuta9 wrote: »
    cheers, i thought it was something beginning with a 'd'

seen DarrenArsenal1 & thought it was him, a good few of the others follow him (geoffArsenal, arseblog, tim stillman, etc.) you follow him?

you know on the home page do all the peoples tweets not show up there?
    it only shows some on mine

Yeh I follow all of them, I also like John Cross, now I know he's a mirror reporter but he pretty good on twitter, David Ornstein a bbc reporter, also Samuel ‏@samuelj29060 whos good for Arsenal stuff and Ren ‏@th14Renato likewise im sure there's more but I can't think of any now. Culann Davies ‏@CulannDavies Arsenal fan who does make good Arsenal videos at times.

Most tweets do show up unless there in a conversation then it only shows up if you follow both involved,, I think.

I rarely tweet more just read it for football related stories.

Fabianski still has 1 year to go as I recall.

Exactly Fabianski has another 12 months from everything I've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Rumors of Jovetic are dying and Higuain are gathering, they really love to mess us around :(

Yeh I follow all of them, I also like John Cross, now I know he's a mirror reporter but he pretty good on twitter, David Ornstein a bbc reporter, also Samuel ‏@samuelj29060 whos good for Arsenal stuff and Ren ‏@th14Renato likewise im sure there's more but I can't think of any now. Culann Davies ‏@CulannDavies Arsenal fan who does make good Arsenal videos at times.

Most tweets do show up unless there in a conversation then it only shows up if you follow both involved,, I think.

John Cross is good for Arsenal related news. I just think he seems to be a bit of a prick, though i suppose most tabloid journo's are. Other Arsenal related journalists (sorry don't have direct links handy) are David Ornstein (BBC), MattLaw (Sunday mirror?), and Julien Laurens (le Parisien).

John Cross is good for Arsenal related news. I just think he seems to be a bit of a prick, though i suppose most tabloid journo's are. Other Arsenal related journalists (sorry don't have direct links handy) are David Ornstein (BBC), MattLaw (Sunday mirror?), and Julien Laurens (le Parisien).

Had the first two in there ;) forgot about the other two but yeh all good for news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Andip wrote: »
    Andrey Arshavin, Denilson and Sebastien Squillaci will leave the Club when they come to the end of their contracts on June 30, and Arsenal would like to take this opportunity to thank them for their contribution and wish them well for the future.

Just on the Arsenal website.....

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/arsenal-trio-set-to-leave-the-club

That is some serious wages just gone, according to this blog we could be saving £190,000 a week in wages. And that blog is a bit conservative imo, I thought Arshavin was on over 90k.

Could easily get Higuain for less than what those 3 lads were costing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

jester77 wrote: »
    That is some serious wages just gone, according to this blog we could be saving £190,000 a week in wages. And that blog is a bit conservative imo, I thought Arshavin was on over 90k.

Could easily get Higuain for less than what those 3 lads were costing!

What's the feeling on the wage structure at the club now ? Its always been so strict, what sort of limit will they work to ?

Andip wrote: »
    What's the feeling on the wage structure at the club now ? Its always been so strict, what sort of limit will they work to ?
    Pay-rise for Rosicky time!

• Advertisement

Wenger was meant to commentate on French TV tonight for the Uruguay V France match but has pulled out reports saying to work on transfer matters.

Im hoping for it to be exciting news but more than likely its Mitrovic or some thing along them lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

John Cross is an arsenal supporter afaik

other's i know of:
    Amy Lawrence of the Guardian is an arsenal fan too, not sure what she's like on twitter with rumours & that but good enough on the guardian podcast, etc. level headed enough stuff

Philippe Auclair a french journo who's also an arsenal fan, well has a liking for them anyway

yeah it's the football stuff i use it for too, though nothing wrong with a bit of AssWednesday's or ThongThursday's the odd time :pac:

any of you see the photo that Walcott was the most efficient in terms of goals & assists per minutes played in the PL, 1 on avg. every 81 mins or so, think's it's on geoffarsenals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Gonzalo Higuain: "I have offers many outside Spain, but I decided to accept the offer of Arsenal, but that does not mean that I have finished all the procedures move to Arsenal, but there are still negotiations between me and them"

"I decided to go there because I'm still young and I see that the way the team played for me too and you'll get used to there quickly"

-MR

https://www.facebook.com/LatestPremierLeagueNews?hc_location=stream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Good tip for Twitter I discovered recently is to make a list of only arsenal related accounts so you don't have to trawl through your entire news feed looking for the arsenal related tweets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Its a bit like casting a huge net into the sea and only a small percentage of the fish caught will be fit for the market.

Like searching for a needle in a haystack made of needles.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

TheGunns wrote: »
    Rumors of Jovetic are dying and Higuain are gathering, they really love to mess us around :(

We'll get neither I predict. Why aren't we moving for Benteke? Dismayed that we appear to be close to signing nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

We'll get neither I predict. Why aren't we moving for Benteke? Dismayed that we appear to be close to signing nobody.

Ah now here. It's early June. Give it some time. Save your dismay till pre-season starts at least.

Yeeeah boooiiiii

Per Messisacker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

After the past few transfer windows the cynic in me thinks that as the summer goes on, we'll get closer and closer to signing nobody.

With reports Villa would only sell for £40million which is silly money and the type of money only a City, Monaco etc would maybe even consider paying. Villa plain and simply wont sell unless they get a stupid offer I'd imagine.

Plus I'd much rather Higuain or Jovetic than Benteke right now, so wait and see what happens plenty of time left yet.

Could Benteke be a one season wonder though? Thats the risk. It would be terrible to have another Adebayor/Arshavin on our books. Granted if he repeats the dose next year his price will go up but id prefer to pay 25m for proven quality then 15m for a flash in the pan tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Even if Benteke isn't a one season wonder, didn't he practically go on strike to engineer the move to Villa in the first place? There were comments that he would do the same to move again, not really the right sort of attitude I'd like to see Arsenal chase!

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    Even if Benteke isn't a one season wonder, didn't he practically go on strike to engineer the move to Villa in the first place? There were comments that he would do the same to move again, not really the right sort of attitude I'd like to see Arsenal chase!

Yeah i agree. Another Adebayor if you ask me. Like butterflies they flutter their wings and then die out

Arsenal top 50 players, biggest suprise for me is Ashley Cole on that list never mind how high up he eve is.

http://www.arsenal.com/history/gunners-greatest-50-players

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement