Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm going away for four days. When I return I want Higuain signed.

Make it so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Originally Posted by Andip
    Although different positions, but there's no danger that now Mourinho is at Chelsea he would throw in some sort of swap deal with Barca and exchange Torres for Fabregas is there ?

I really don't think Barca would want Torres.

Barcelona are preparing an audacious £17m bid for Chelsea striker Fernando Torres - £33m less than the Blues paid Liverpool for him two years ago - THE SUN

Whilst we have first option, I think we're going to get shafted - not doubting his love for the club, Cesc hasn't exactly 'leaked' any desires to return home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Andip wrote: »
    Barcelona are preparing an audacious £17m bid for Chelsea striker Fernando Torres - £33m less than the Blues paid Liverpool for him two years ago - THE SUN

Whilst we have first option, I think we're going to get shafted - not doubting his love for the club, Cesc hasn't exactly 'leaked' any desires to return home.

Because he doesnt want to come back! He is already home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,460 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'm going away for four days. When I return I want Higuain signed.

Make it so.

I'm afraid to inform you that all the Arsenal staff are on holiday too, inc medical staff. Nothing will happen for at least another week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I'll believe it when I see it... and even then I won't really believe it. Why would a team of Barca's stature waste money on a player who has been largely ineffective for the last 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Issue resolved. It's made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I'll believe it when I see it... and even then I won't really believe it. Why would a team of Barca's stature waste money on a player who has been largely ineffective for the last 2 years.

Will you believe it when he bangs in a hat trick against us in the CL quarter final? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I'm sooooooooooooo bored. There aren't even the usual absolute bullsh!t rumours to keep me going.

Can't wait till the new season starts where we all begin with renewed optimism; declare the slow start as the players "needing to gel"; start getting worried round November when the team lose a few consecutive matches; a large number of supporters start shouting "Wenger Out!" round January when it looks like not only will we not qualify for the champions league but that Spurs will; get to March and just as those who've always stood by Wenger are about to join in the chorus of "Wenger Out" the team start to turn things around and then gloriously lift the 4th place trophy in May pipping Spurs to the spot by +1 goal difference after all the Spurs players inexplicably start scoring own goals in their last game (f**king up at the back end of the season is what Spurs do best).

ETA:
    Forgot to mention the "leaked" stories of warchests round March and then in early summer everyone is agreed that this time has to be different and Wenger absolutely has to spend money, etc,etc, repeat to fade...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Some of the rumours are just too far fetched, you'd wonder how they make it to print, most unrealistic rumour so far I read on skysports 'Diaby on the mend'.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Some of the rumours are just too far fetched, you'd wonder how they make it to print, most unrealistic rumour so far I read on skysports 'Diaby on the mend'.

I'd say he's well afraid he's gonna be put out to pasture like arsh, denilsin and squallichi!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I'm trying to put my positive hat on and say the reason everything Arsenal related is so quiet because Wenger is a fox and the media have o clue were about to announce a flurry of big star signings.

Sure fcuk it Ronaldos tweet today was a come and get me plea to Arsenal.

Say what you want about Denilson and how he never matured into the player he was expected to he has certainly left the club in a graacious manner and still holds high regard for Wenger saying he was a like a father and is responsible for making him an athlete. Even posting this pic on his twitter. I certainly hope he has a good career.

BMlVrZiCMAEqwER.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Agree entirely about denilson, he's a decent chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'm trying to put my positive hat on and say the reason everything Arsenal related is so quiet because Wenger is a fox and the media have o clue were about to announce a flurry of big star signings.

Sure fcuk it Ronaldos tweet today was a come and get me plea to Arsenal.

A fox ? That brings back bad memories - Franny Jeffers was the 'Fox in the box' when Wenger spent a huge £8m on him in 2001 - how many of ye remember him. ....

A fox ? That brings back bad memories - Franny Jeffers was the 'Fox in the box' when Wenger spent a huge £8m on him in 2001 - how many of ye remember him. ....

Think we all do. I thought he was going to be a big player for us :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Good read on the Tim Stillman column this evening http://arseblog.com/2013/06/ivans-era/# puts into context where we are now, speaking historically about our club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Seems to be a bit more movement in the transfer market now, hopefully we'll soon be joining in

Id say not chance but id love to sign nani, 10 million though probably 120k wages, I think a bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Id say not chance but id love to sign nani, 10 million though probably 120k wages, I think a bargain.

Its hard to believe nani is now valued at 10m:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

To be honest I don't want either of the Man U rejects.... The fact that United may think they're no longer worth keeping is enough to send alarm bells ringing. Best days behind them. And those best days were blighted by inconsistency.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Just watched the 01/02 match when we won the title at old Trafford. Apart from it being thoroughly enjoyable, a few things occurred to me ...

That team finished 2nd three years in a row before that. I remember someone from Munster saying after their eventual Heineken Cup win that you had to loose one (or a few) to win one. Our team really need to be up there competing before we can have any ambitions of actually winning anything.

I've had a lot of over-optimistic faith that we'd suddenly wake up, come good and mount a serious challenge.

Realistically we probably have to spend a year or two competing before we have a clue how to treat a title run-in.

Taking City and Chelsea's initial rapid rises out, has any team cone from fourth to challenge, let alone win??

Most likely a title win is 3-4 years away at best.

Fir this season, I'd take a solid 3rd with improvement in consistency from the team and a better challenge in games against other top teams. Oh, and the double over spurs.

But all this bollocks from teams like us and Liverpool saying 'oh, we were the best from Jan onwards' is a load of rubbish. Bar Gerrard, does anyone on either team have any experience of even competing for a title?

Utd were the best from Jan onwards because they did exactly what they needed to do to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

gosplan wrote: »
    Just watched the 01/02 match when we won the title at old Trafford. Apart from it being thoroughly enjoyable, a few things occurred to me ...

That team finished 2nd three years in a row before that. I remember someone from Munster saying after their eventual Heineken Cup win that you had to loose one (or a few) to win one. Our team really need to be up there competing before we can have any ambitions of actually winning anything.

I've had a lot of over-optimistic faith that we'd suddenly wake up, come good and mount a serious challenge.

Realistically we probably have to spend a year or two competing before we have a clue how to treat a title run-in.

Taking City and Chelsea's initial rapid rises out, has any team cone from fourth to challenge, let alone win??

Most likely a title win is 3-4 years away at best.

Fir this season, I'd take a solid 3rd with improvement in consistency from the team and a better challenge in games against other top teams. Oh, and the double over spurs.

But all this bollocks from teams like us and Liverpool saying 'oh, we were the best from Jan onwards' is a load of rubbish. Bar Gerrard, does anyone on either team have any experience of even competing for a title?
    We came 3rd in 96/97 and won it in 97/98. Also in in 90/91 we won it after being 4th the year before and in 88/89 we won it after being 6th the year before. I know the modern game is different but it's silly to think we can't make more than one place of an improvement in one year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

jordainius wrote: »
    To be honest I don't want either of the Man U rejects.... The fact that United may think they're no longer worth keeping is enough to send alarm bells ringing. Best days behind them. And those best days were blighted by inconsistency.

How dare you, after we sent Silvestre down to London to steady the ship.

Some people never appreciate a thing.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

jordainius wrote: »

Would Rooney improve our options? Yes.
    Would Nani improve our options? Probably yes.

It's as simple as that. You don't turn down players who would improve you.

Fair enough but 10million for a squad player is a good price, the fact nani is by far better than what we have on the left would be a good piece of business in my opinion. I actually think we could sell him at minimum 15 million a season or a later.

As much as I dislike him and would have loved flaminI to smash him up that time in the cup he's not bad player.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Would Rooney improve our options? Yes.
    Would Nani improve our options? Probably yes.

It's as simple as that. You don't turn down players who would improve you.

Yes both would improve our options, Nani I wouldnt be to mad on to be honest, Rooney I would welcome with open arms. But there are other players reportedly available that I would take over both yes. Of all the the strikers were linked with Higuain, Jovetic and Rooney. Rooney would be my third choice, his attitude is questionable, who's to say he wont change club and have another little huff 3 months down the line.
    gosplan wrote: »

Podolski and Mertesacker both do, if you add international tournaments then you have Cazorla aswell. I also think this whole idea of a player having experience of competing for a title is seriously overplayed, but if that card shall be played we have three, along with more importantly Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

DenMan wrote: »

A quote from the article.

"While the player himself has been quiet on his future, a talkSPORT caller has claimed that he is '100% sure' that he spotted Rooney arriving at the Emirates in a black Mercedes this morning."

:pac:

• Advertisement

Mr Blobby wrote: »

"While the player himself has been quiet on his future, a talkSPORT caller has claimed that he is '100% sure' that he spotted Rooney arriving at the Emirates in a black Mercedes this morning."

Yeah I know. Saw that, but hey you never know! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

He was probably just visiting the Greggs down Holloway Road.

keano_afc wrote: »
    He was probably just visiting the Greggs down Holloway Road.

Or the grannies :)

To be honest i think we would be mental to break our wage structure for Rooney who looks demotivated and out of condition at the moment. Id prefer we coughed up the extra few million for Higuain tbh. Far better player if you ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Surely coming to the Emirates would be a fresh challenge for him and hopefully he wouldn't take much motivating to prove himself. He hasn't looked at his best for a while now but he showed a glimpse of what he is still capable of with that goal against Brazil. RVP going up there has taken some of the limelight from him and being forced to play in midfield at times have all been demotivating factors I would say. Much would be expected of him if he were to move and I'm sure he want to fulfill those expectations. I'd be delighted if we could get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Rooney isn't the out-and-out forward we need, hence the reason why United lost the title to Man City because they weren't scoring enough goals and bought Van Persie. Oh and let's not forget the fact that when injured, he takes ages to recover to full fitness and regain his form. With Arsenal's lack of squad depth, it will put a lot of strain on his muscles and he'll become a liability with his over-inflated wage - we have too many of them as it is.

He's probably the most over-rated player in England and would overtake Francis Jeffers as our worst signing to date.

• Advertisement

He averages 30 league performances a year and scores on average 1 in every 2 games. Bearing in mind he'll give an awful lot more to the side than goal scoring, comparing him to Jeffers is about as far wide of the mark as you can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I'd prefer Higuain over Rooney... But if Rooney was to join I'd still be over the moon.

Rooney has a bit of everything.. He can pass,shoot,defend.
    Having him in the team would be an instant upgrade

Via Arsenal.com

Arsenal Football Club has appointed Sir Chips Keswick as the Club's new chairman, following Peter Hill-Wood's decision to stand down from the Arsenal board for health reasons.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/sir-chips-keswick-appointed-chairman

Higuain would also be my first choice but I wouldn't turn down Rooney either. He's played a lot in midfield for United and still come up with goals. Playing him as the main man would only result in more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Rooney isn't the out-and-out forward we need, hence the reason why United lost the title to Man City because they weren't scoring enough goals and bought Van Persie. Oh and let's not forget the fact that when injured, he takes ages to recover to full fitness and regain his form. With Arsenal's lack of squad depth, it will put a lot of strain on his muscles and he'll become a liability with his over-inflated wage - we have too many of them as it is.

He's probably the most over-rated player in England and would overtake Francis Jeffers as our worst signing to date.

Yeah that's the reason we lost the title, for scoring 4 goals less than City, nothing to do with bottling against Wigan, Everton and a 8 point lead in 6 games :rolleyes:

Edit: We scored 3 goals less than last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,460 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Nobody at home at the Emirates. All on holidays so there will be no signings for at least another week. Rooney must have been lost.

Via Arsenal.com

Arsenal Football Club has appointed Sir Chips Keswick as the Club's new chairman, following Peter Hill-Wood's decision to stand down from the Arsenal board for health reasons.

No change there then. One ignorant out of touch toff for another.

No change there then. One ignorant out of touch toff for another.

Not a bad fit really. We were known as the Bank Of England club. He's a director at the Bank of England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I can only guess that you have no idea what over rated means, who Francis Jeffers was and what constitutes a bad signing??

Either that or your pissed off your head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Rooney scored 27 league goals as an out and out striker last year. Van Persie scored 26 this year so your talking nonsense. Rooney scored 12 this season out of position and not playing much in the second half of the season.

Also Rooney is England's best player for a long time i don't understand your comparison to Jeffers.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Would much rather Rooney than Higuain.

The more I think about it the more I really like the prospect of Rooney at Arsenal. No better manager than Wenger to bring the best out of him! If Wenger wants him I'm sure he's spoken to Hodgson and with the World Cup next summer it would be fantastic for England with a proven English player leading the club forward for the future! Wilshere can learn from Rooney too! I would love to see Rooney at Arsenal. We need to get back to singing these kind of players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

The more I think about it the more I really like the prospect of Rooney at Arsenal. No better manager than Wenger to bring the best out of him! If Wenger wants him I'm sure he's spoken to Hodgson and with the World Cup next summer it would be fantastic for England with a proven English player leading the club forward for the future! Wilshere can learn from Rooney too! I would love to see Rooney at Arsenal. We need to get back to singing these kind of players!

Rooney is a match winner, he's the type of player that can turn a game on his head with a moment of magic and its that type of player that sadly we have had very few of the past few seasons. I for one would love to see him in an Arsenal jersey he could steer us towards our first trophy in 8 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Via Arsenal.com

Duncan Alexander @oilysailor

Whoever Arsenal buy this summer I will be saddened if the headline 'Good Buy Mr Chips' isn't used.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

I really don't like the idea of rooney at arsenal and I think it could end up being a disaster. higuain all the way for me

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement