Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

I just hope next season we do the sit on the halfway line without the ball, nick a goal and do nothing thing. If we want Higuain as the 1 in a 4231 then great, Rooney in a good 433 would be equally acceptable. I just want a DM/holding midfielder so that whichever tactic we choose is doable and that more often than not 1 goal is comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

There's a lot of Rooney Arsenal talk today saying fee has been agreed etc talks ave already taken place between Rooney and Arsenal but further talks on wages need to take place next week when Rooney returns from holiday. Interesting.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There's a lot of Rooney Arsenal talk today saying fee has been agreed etc talks ave already taken place between Rooney and Arsenal but further talks on wages need to take place next week when Rooney returns from holiday. Interesting.

I think it's gone beyond just being a rumour at this stage, there's no doubt we're in for him imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The only sticking point I can see with him is wage. He is unlikely to drop his demands to our current level so if he is on a lot more than anyone else (>£100,000) I can see a lot of players looking for raises not long after. We don't want that situation to arise and disrupt the season.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    The only sticking point I can see with him is wage. He is unlikely to drop his demands to our current level so if he is on a lot more than anyone else (>£100,000) I can see a lot of players looking for raises not long after. We don't want that situation to arise and disrupt the season.

Apparently he's looking for around 175k a week and were not to far off on it either, and hes the one who has been pushing for Arsenal. Now could be all rumours but they do seem to be gathering pace.

On the wages I have no problem we need to start paying bigger wages to attract the top players if we want to compete it's as simple as that we also need to have a more varied wage structure not one based on potential. They can look at Rooney and want his wage but simply but they can also be told if you want his wage work hard and prove your worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Seeing rooney playing for Arsenal would be even weirder than Rvp playing for united last year. Something just doesnt seem right about it.

Would obviously be a great player to have nonetheless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

the last time we landed a player from united we ended up with Silvestre and he was fairly sh!te. cant see any reason why united would let us purchase a fully fit and on form rooney. united aren't the type of team who would willingly make a rival stronger.

if it goes ahead and theres no proof it will happen - it could be a very costly mistake on our behalf.

sonic85 wrote: »
    the last time we landed a player from united we ended up with Silvestre and he was fairly sh!te. cant see any reason why united would let us purchase a fully fit and on form rooney. united aren't the type of team who would willingly make a rival stronger.

if it goes ahead and theres no proof it will happen - it could be a very costly mistake on our behalf.

You can't really be comparing Silvestre to Rooney that's just as bad as someone earlier comparing him to Jeffers. He is a fantastic player and even last year was brilliant for United just playing a deeper role.

I would be a bit hesitant myself not because of him as a player but because he has been prone to huffs at United.

The talk is he want's out and hes pushing for Arsenal sometimes when a player pushes for it it leaves the clubs with little options like we faced with Fabregas and RVP.

I'll still be suprised if it happens but I wouldn't rule it out.

You can't really be comparing Silvestre to Rooney that's just as bad as someone earlier comparing him to Jeffers. He is a fantastic player and even last year was brilliant for United just playing a deeper role.

I would be a bit hesitant myself not because of him as a player but because he has been prone to huffs at United.

The talk is he want's out and hes pushing for Arsenal sometimes when a player pushes for it it leaves the clubs with little options like we faced with Fabregas and RVP.

I'll still be suprised if it happens but I wouldn't rule it out.

what? theres no comparison. did I say rooney is the same as Silvestre skill or ability wise? my point is united don't let good players go to rivals. at the very least theyd ship him off to Madrid or somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

what? theres no comparison. did I say rooney is the same as Silvestre skill or ability wise? my point is united don't let good players go to rivals. at the very least theyd ship him off to Madrid or somewhere.

We're not really rivals though and won't be considered as such until we start spending a lot of money or challenging for titles.

L'prof wrote: »
    We're not really rivals though and won't be considered as such until we start spending a lot of money or challenging for titles.

I suppose youre right but were still a top 4 side and nabbing a top of his game rooney along with a good DM would bring the two sides much closer together - possibly in direct competition for a title.

im just not convinced by rooney. I think higuain would be a much better fit for us.

sick of rumours now though. I hope something concrete happens in the next week or so. put everyone out of their misery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd be shocked if anyone was announced or even signed before July

I suppose youre right but were still a top 4 side and nabbing a top of his game rooney along with a good DM would bring the two sides much closer together - possibly in direct competition for a title.

im just not convinced by rooney. I think higuain would be a much better fit for us.

sick of rumours now though. I hope something concrete happens in the next week or so. put everyone out of their misery

The two advantages i would say for Rooney is that , Number 1, the top players on the market would really stand up and take notice of Arsenal.
    Considering the respect he has amongst his peers it would make a huge statement of intent on the clubs part and all of a sudden we would be a very attractive proposition again. We could be the club that stars want to join and not want to leave.

The other advantage over Higgy is that he doesnt have to settle into the English game. There is a chance that initially Higgy might find the physicality tough going although i personally believe he'd bang em in for fun.

I would still prefer Higuain because he is an immense finisher and is on form. His goal record is unbelievable. Looking at his Wiki, its nearly 1 in every 2 games for almost every season he has been at Real. Whoever gets him is fortunate indeed.

The big negative with Rooney is that it could disenfranchise the rest of the squad if Rooney could just demand a huge wage like that and get it after players giving years of service to the club such as Walcott, Sagna, etc and the other is the baggage he seems to be carrying around with him lately. I would hope he would give his all for the club if he does sign but im wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I don't see why we can't sign both :-)

Sorry maybe I took your post up wrong but to think Rooney could be a bad signing is crazy, I'd prefer higuain but Rooney I'd gladly take.

But who says united have a choice? Maybe Madrid aren't in for him, maybe Rooney only wants arsenal, my point is the club don't always have choice much like I'm sure Wenger or anyone at arsenal wanted rvp at United.

• Advertisement

Maybe it was already decided last year between Fergie and Arsene? Remember the whole, "I wouldn't like to play him in poker" comment from Fergie?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The way the rumours are going I really think we're in for both players, imagine if we did sign both of them (and hopefully Fellaini on top of them). Would be a massive turn around in our transfer policy and also a huge signal of intent.

At the same time it seems all too familiar to feel that this will finally be the transfer window where they come good on their promises of doing what's needed to get the squad challenging again so I won't be surprised if or when it all comes to nothing. Having said that, something does feel different about this time. God I hate transfer windows :(

Guys attached is an excel spreadsheet (albeit not a very detailed one) of every foreign player who has made at least one appearance for Arsenal. Herbert Chapman signed our first- a Dutch Goalkeeper called Gerard Keyser -back in 1930 who lasted briefly and only three more (Albert Gudmonsson, Dan Le Roux and John Kosmina) appeared between that signing and the signing of Vladimir Petrovic under Terry Neill in 1983

Foreign players at Arsenal were quite a rarity until the Wenger era really. Graham signed a few Scandinavians but only Limpar and John Jensen really made any number of appearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

A little off topic maybe but is it just me that doesn't understand why Real favour Benzema over Higuain so much? Is Benzema really that much better than Higuain?

A little off topic maybe but is it just me that doesn't understand why Real favour Benzema over Higuain so much? Is Benzema really that much better than Higuain?

The money they paid for Benzema by comparison could have alot to do with it. Perez and Real are obsessed with this nonsense 'Galatico' ideology.

Higuain was signed for a mere €12m from River Plate. Not very Galactico for good old Florentino.

Their loss would be our gain if we can get him for the 20-25m bracket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

The money they paid for Benzema by comparison could have alot to do with it. Perez and Real are obsessed with this nonsense 'Galatico' ideology.

Higuain was signed for a mere €12m from River Plate. Not very Galactico for good old Florentino.

Their loss would be our gain if we can get him for the 20-25m bracket

Interesting article here on who the better striker is: http://www.laliganews.tv/higuain-vs-benzema-who-is-the-better-striker/

Benzema cost €35m to Higuain's €13m. Incredible really.

Interesting article here on who the better striker is: http://www.laliganews.tv/higuain-vs-benzema-who-is-the-better-striker/

Benzema cost €35m to Higuain's €13m. Incredible really.

I suppose to be fair also, Higgy was a 19 year old unproven from South America whereas Benzema had established himself as one of Europes hottest strikers and had Champions league experience. Rumour at the time is that Wenger even had a 35m bid in for Benzema but with all the financial competition around we had no chance. Both great players and perhaps would form a formidable partnership had Cristiano not been at Real. While Ronaldo is a phenomenon, i cant help feeling the rule is that everything must go through him and i suppose when your that good then why not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Talk on twitter that an offer (€30m) is in for Higuain, unconfirmed.

Yeh it being reported in both Marca and As papers in Spain tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Would be a good start if we could land him, proven goalscorer.

http://www.marca.com/multimedia/primeras/13/06/0616_en.html

Fingers crossed, he's a lethal finisher. Would be a great start to the summer spending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Fingers crossed, he's a lethal finisher. Would be a great start to the summer spending.
    I think As and Marca are quoting today's article in the Guardian

Should we pull this off, here is the type of player we would be getting.

Rapid feet, lethal inside and outside the box, an absolute predator......Fingers crossed

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

David Ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david 21m
    Arsenal priority a top cf. Higuain 1st choice & keen. #Afc also want 1 holding + 1 attacking mdf. No df unless any leave. Not in for Rooney.
    Higuain, Isco and Bender would be an acceptable summer :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Higuain, Isco and Bender would be an acceptable summer :p

Better than his last tweet anyway!

I assume more likely for the AM would be Grenier and I'm nbot sure what other DMs we've been linked with, Capoue?, or does Fellaini count?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Imagine 3 quality singings in those positions, oh my days.

Both sven and lars bender are class, would improve the team and not cost a fortune. For attacking mid isco is out of our range, grenier would be a good signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Imagine 3 quality singings in those positions, oh my days.

T'would be awesome.

Nowhere more do than the forward line though. Imagine Giroud coming off the bench hungry and aggressive as fcuk cause he wants his place back.

Complacency has been our biggest fault over the last few years - perhaps recently along with bad results against the top teams.

If those three signings happened and they were good, it'd actually mean that no-one in front of the defence was nailed on bar Theo - and that one's up to the Ox.

Players who don't turn up in away matches at West Brom or F.A. Cup early rounds get dropped. For years Wenger's had to instead put an arm around them, tell them 'youre great' and build them up for the next match cause everyone was so essential. Finally now we might see the situation where instead they're told 'you're great but maybe you need a couple of weeks off, you're looking tired'. And then straight away, you've to sit down and watch the guy you've been looking over your shoulder at go hell for leather to try and take his chance.

gosplan wrote: »
    T'would be awesome.

Nowhere more do than the forward line though. Imagine Giroud coming off the bench hungry and aggressive as fcuk cause he wants his place back.

Complacency has been our biggest fault over the last few years - perhaps recently along with bad results against the top teams.

If those three signings happened and they were good, it'd actually mean that no-one in front of the defence was nailed on bar Theo - and that one's up to the Ox.

Players who don't turn up in away matches at West Brom or F.A. Cup early rounds get dropped. For years Wenger's had to instead put an arm around them, tell them 'youre great' and build them up for the next match cause everyone was so essential. Finally now we might see the situation where instead they're told 'you're great but maybe you need a couple of weeks off, you're looking tired'. And then straight away, you've to sit down and watch the guy you've been looking over your shoulder at go hell for leather to try and take his chance.

Bang on. Every squad in every team sport needs intense competition for places in order to succeed. We havent really had that luxury since the days of the invincibles when for example Ashley Cole had to up his game or lose his place to Clichy as one example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Upon more mature reflection, I retract my negative statements to Rooney earlier on thread.

I would now be happy with this summer's dealings if we signed Rooney, Higuain and Capoue.

Or even 1 of Higuain/Rooney and a solid DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Both Rooney and Higuain definitely won't happen, one would be fantastic as is, preferably Higuain.

Been seeing one or two places reporting Barca wanting Kosc over the last couple of weeks. was hoping we wouldn't have to put up with that crap this year. Hopefully it's just hot air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Been seeing one or two places reporting Barca wanting Kosc over the last couple of weeks. was hoping we wouldn't have to put up with that crap this year. Hopefully it's just hot air.

I'd say it is... Doesn't matter though. He's contracted to 2017 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

How soon before we get one of the barcelona idiot players saying Koscielny has barca DNA

• Advertisement

Barcelona, a great bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

This again, savage. Man, i hate barca.

I could see Wenger accepting 20 million for a player who is 28 very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Fûck that. Players leaving in their prime is exactly what we've been trying to reverse recently. I'd be well pissed if we sold him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Wenger will not let him go. We need that partnership with Mert to keep going as long as we can because they just click.

We don't need the cash anymore so no fcukers are going to bully us into submission.

Not saying I agree with it, but we all know what happens at arsenal when the cash is dangled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Plus its barca, if they're really interested arsenal haven't hope

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Plus its barca, if they're really interested arsenal haven't hope

Why? He's our player we can do what we want with him. He's tied into a long contract as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Are you serious?

It's barcelona ffs, most players would sell their granny to play for them

Arsenal are nowhere near them in terms of appeal, if a player wants out of a club, contracts are worth shít

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Spurs dug in and got Modric to stay for another year, if Arsenal were to do that with Kosc its more than likely that Barcelona would have signed their new defender and the interest in Kosc would be dead.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Are you serious?

It's barcelona ffs, most players would sell their granny to play for them

Arsenal are nowhere near them in terms of appeal, if a player wants out of a club, contracts are worth shít

Yes. Yes I am.

The way you make it sound we have a car boot sale for Barcelona to take what they want from us and we cannot do anything about it which is toss in fairness.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement