Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

We won't sell Kos. Not a hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Not saying I agree with it, but we all know what happens at arsenal when the cash is dangled.

Surely Arsenal are well-endowed enough to be in a position to dangle their own... errr... cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

HazDanz wrote: »
    Yes. Yes I am.

The way you make it sound we have a car boot sale for Barcelona to take what they want from us and we cannot do anything about it which is toss in fairness.

Worked well with good old Henry didn't it?

Got a pay rise, had a shít stirring average season then fúcked off - we don't speak of that though sssh

If a player really wants out to go to any club, be it barca or arsenal they can make happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Worked well with good old Henry didn't it?

Got a pay rise, had a shít stirring average season then fúcked off - we don't speak of that though sssh

If a player really wants out to go to any club, be it barca or arsenal they can make happen

Vieira too.

Also I was looking at the pool thread and they're talkin about swap deals, how screwed were we in the Cole gallas deal in hindsight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Vieira too.

Also I was looking at the pool thread and they're talkin about swap deals, how screwed were we in the Cole gallas deal in hindsight.

It was the opposite with Vieira ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Not sure about the reliability of the paper, but the reporter seems fairly decent.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal-move-step-closer-to-signing-higuain-from-real-madrid-with-club-record-bid-8661802.html
    Arsenal move step closer to signing Higuain from Real Madrid with club record bid

Arsenal are in pole position to sign Gonzalo Higuain from Real Madrid after Juventus switched their attentions to landing Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez.

The Italian champions have been in negotiations with Real over a deal for Higuain but are so far refusing to increase their bid of £18.7million for the 25-year-old.

Real are understood to be demanding at least £25.5m and although president Florentino Perez was quoted last week claiming that Juve’s offer would be insufficient, sources remain adamant a deal could be done at around that price.

The Gunners have a well-publicised warchest in excess of £70m to spend and can outbid Juve, who while also remaining interested in Fiorentina’s Stevan Jovetic, are now thought to have lowered their sights to cheaper alternatives including Tevez.

The 29-year-old is entering the final year of his contract at the Etihad Stadium and would command a fee of no more than £10m should talks with new boss Manuel Pellegrini conclude with his departure.

That leaves Arsenal as the sole serious bidders in their battle to sign Higuain. Arsene Wenger has tabled a club record bid in excess of £20m in an attempt to make the forward Arsenal’s first major summer signing.

The fee easily surpasses Arsenal’s previous highest transfer — £15m paid to Zenit St Petersburg for Andrey Arshavin in January 2009 — and underlines the seriousness with which the club are determined to

act this summer.

However, Higuain’s situation is complicated by the ongoing uncertainty over the managerial situation at the Bernabeu.

Real are yet to confirm Jose Mourinho’s successor with Paris

St-Germain reluctant to allow Carlo Ancelotti to leave until they have found their own replacement.Ancelotti is expected to take over at some point but the former Chelsea manager will want to assess his new squad before he allows Higuain to depart. Arsenal are keen to tie the deal up before the players return for pre-season training on July 4.

Borussia Dortmund general manager Hans-Joachim Watzke today said Chelsea target Robert Lewandowski will not be leaving having already ruled out a move to Bayern Munich. He said: “Robert will be playing for us next season.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Surely Arsenal are well-endowed enough to be in a position to dangle their own... errr... cash.

It could be about winning something, not something our Arsenal have done in a while. With Barca, guaranteed to win something or all. It could be a motivating factor for Kos. I hope he stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Are you serious?

It's barcelona ffs, most players would sell their granny to play for them

Arsenal are nowhere near them in terms of appeal, if a player wants out of a club, contracts are worth shít

Fcuk Barcelona.

He's contracted to 2017 and has no reason to leave. He's not going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,460 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Fcuk Barcelona.

I said the same thing many times over the last number of years.
    I was wrong.

Fcuk Barcelona.

"Fcuk Barcelona" - i agree

"no reason to leave" - for barca :pac: you've to be very naive or pigheaded to be thinking that - i'd even include Bayern in that who he's also being link to
    I don't think you are either, you're just píssed off at the thought of it

i'm not saying the club should make it easy for him to leave or anything, just that it could be very difficult to keep him if he does want to join them

what are people thoughts on a deal for Fabregas to come back involving Koscielny going the other way? - not rumoured or anything, only hypothetical

i'd be in favour of it especially if higuain's bought, who'd replace him i'm not sure

a more realistic scenario:
    another thing i'd be in favour of is selling Vermaelen this summer, when he has 2 years on his contract

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Higuan getting closer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ah... so this summer it'll be the Koscielny 'will he/won't he' circus....

BAH!!

Really don't see it happening think it just the papers trying to fill column space.

Not the best source but CaughtOffside reporting a double Real swoop with Higgy and Raul Albiol

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/06/18/exclusive-arsenal-close-in-on-deal-to-sign-35m-real-madrid-pair/

I think there is so much about Higgy now that its inevitable we should wrap it up. Id be 99% confident whilst not dismissing the other 1% possibility either.

Ive always been wary on speculation who Arsenal sign ever since the Rodrigo Palacio hoax back in 2007

http://www.uk-fc.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2219

Apparently Kosclienly has said he wants to stay. Add in that we obviously dont want to sell him and thats the end of this story in my eyes.

Apparently Kosclienly has said he wants to stay. Add in that we obviously dont want to sell him and thats the end of this story in my eyes.
    Where did you get that from?

The Mirror, hence the apparently ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

hopefully it happens but everything about higuin is the opposite to what wenger usually signs.

id rather rooney too.

• Advertisement

The Mirror, hence the apparently ;)

Well hopefully it's right.

When are they going to Asia? Should be someone at least signed by then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Oranage2 wrote: »
    hopefully it happens but everything about higuin is the opposite to what wenger usually signs.

id rather rooney too.

He'd fit in better I think. Rooney as the creative front man with Poldi and Theo essentially being the strikers cutting in from the wing. I'm a big Higuain fan but if he was playing we'd need another creative player in that front three.

I'm dreading the dreaded, man city in late swoop for higuan rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I wonder if Benzema's court case is going to hold up the transfer. If he has to spend time in jail then I doubt Madrid would sell Higuain.

It was all over twitter last night and people weren't using the mirror as source but were quotes being thrown around that both Kos and Sagna have stated they want to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'd go for Rooney on talent alone but would wonder about the baggage and his attitude. Despite being amazing at times, he also goes missing for weeks on end.

He's always gone through these patchy spells, moving from Utd would be a step down for him, he seems to have confidence issues, plus he clearly has no problem rocking the boat in order to get himself a better wage/move away.

I guess I wouldn't be all that surprised if Rooney moved somewhere and did an Arshavin.

Obviously Higuain is an unknown in this regard but he's younger so we should in theory have his best years ahead of him. I reckon age is going to catch up on Rooney quite quickly too.

Just let me say that I am a fan of Rooney. He's one of those ultra aggressive forwards that can practically dictate the game from the front like Tevez ... and we've needed one of those for ages.

It just looks to me that if he leaves Utd then his best years might naturally be behind him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,460 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We seem to have released a lot of players and that would suggest a good number of signings, Hope it starts as soon as our people return from holiday this week.
    Those released --

Arsenal: Andrey Arshavin, Samir Bihmoutine, Reice Charles-Cook, Denilson, Craig Eastmond, Sead Hajrovic, Conor Henderson, Jernade Meade, Nigel Oldfield Spence-Neita, Joshua Rees, Philip Roberts, James Shea, Sebastien Squillaci, Sanchez Watt.

My only issue with rooney is his inconsistency, which has been a major problem with our team in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

We seem to have released a lot of players and that would suggest a good number of signings, Hope it starts as soon as our people return from holiday this week.
    Those released --

Arsenal: Andrey Arshavin, Samir Bihmoutine, Reice Charles-Cook, Denilson, Craig Eastmond, Sead Hajrovic, Conor Henderson, Jernade Meade, Nigel Oldfield Spence-Neita, Joshua Rees, Philip Roberts, James Shea, Sebastien Squillaci, Sanchez Watt.

A lot of those are young players though. It's not too strange to see us release a large group of younger players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I think we be mad to sign Rooney. His bad points out way his good points too much these days. What about when he gets injured. He needs 3 matches where he is useless before he is up to full speed. I don't think Arsenal can afford it.

If its a case of him or no one or some young fella I'd jump at it but I would prefer we looked elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

A lot of those are young players though. It's not too strange to see us release a large group of younger players.
    It is kind of though. In the past we would've rewarded a lot of these mediocre young players with contracts that was largley based on their potential, a potential they rarely fulfilled because they didn't need to as they were already reaping the rewards.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    It is kind of though. In the past we would've rewarded a lot of these mediocre young players with contracts that was largley based on their potential, a potential they rarely fulfilled because they didn't need to as they were already reaping the rewards.

Case in point Craig Eastmond he's no youngster he's 22 at this stage and hung around for a long time making only a handful of appearances.

I'd definitely take Higuain over Rooney. Rooney has caused trouble at both Everton and United at this point while trying to force his way out. In the case of Man United that was at a Championship winning team that was paying him £240k per week. I can't imagine he'd suddenly change his tune for Arsenal.

In terms of ability I'd take Higuain too. Yeah, Rooney probably has more to his overall play, but Higuain is a goal machine. He's bloody lethal. His goal record for both club and country speaks for itself. We need that killer touch.

Are we higuans second choice seems juventus haven't got the cash? He was certain to go there until the the money situation.

Are we higuans second choice seems juventus haven't got the cash? He was certain to go there until the the money situation.

Define 'certain'

Define 'certain'

Well just that he wanted them and they wanted him, but won't pay up front whereas arsenal will.

Well just that he wanted them and they wanted him, but won't pay up front whereas arsenal will.

I don't know I've never seen any inclination that, that was the case.

Hopefully Bendtner shoves off soon he is the ultimate cringeworthy footballer, his tweet two days ago is why some footballers shouldn't be allowed on twitter.

Yaya Sanogo has confirmed he is joining us when the transfer window opens in July.

If Football Manager 2010 is to be believed he 'could be the next Gervinho' :pac:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8781529/Transfer-news-Yaya-Sanogo-says-he-is-impressed-with-Arsenal

Slightly off topic but was thinking about buying the new football manager game, havent played it in years but been tempted the last week or two.

Which is the better one? Didnt they split it into two games in recent years, is there a new one out soon that I be better off waiting for?

Football Manger and Championship Manager. Ironically, the guys who made all the classic Championship Manager games now do Football Manager. It's considered the 'one true' management game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Are the people who made Championship Manager 4 the FM crowd now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

First game of the season is at home to Southampton

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Thought the fixtures come out tomorrow at 9.00?

Galvasean wrote: »
    Football Manger and Championship Manager. Ironically, the guys who made all the classic Championship Manager games now do Football Manager. It's considered the 'one true' management game.

Cheers do you know would I be best of buying one now or how far away is a new one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Pudders wrote: »
    Thought the fixtures come out tomorrow at 9.00?

There's a reliable Twitter account that has correctly called our first game for the last three seasons so that's where it's coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

I don't know I've never seen any inclination that, that was the case.

Hopefully Bendtner shoves off soon he is the ultimate cringeworthy footballer, his tweet two days ago is why some footballers shouldn't be allowed on twitter.

what did he tweet? :P

darego wrote: »
    what did he tweet? :P

I would post it for proof but I wouldn't have people looking at it, a iphone selfie picture of himself in tighty whities and baseball cap turned backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I would post it for proof but I wouldn't have people looking at it, a iphone selfie picture of himself in tighty whities and baseball cap turned backwards.

He is a complete tool. I did like the first comment on it from an Arsenal fan telling him that he is an embarrassment to the club and to hurry up and leave.

Cheers do you know would I be best of buying one now or how far away is a new one?

Haven't bought one in a few years, but IIR they are released in time for Christmas around the same time as Fifa so you'd probably be best off getting one to play over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

i still play fm12, havent upgraded to 13 yet. its a life stealer though :)

• Advertisement

Don't know about FM but FIFa tends to come out at the end of september so it's probably similar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement