Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd say it's because we have Fellaini on the radar.

I read today that Fellaini wants 100k pw which supposedly is leading to wenger cooling his interest. I don't really buy it though, if they're willing to pay 22m for him I don't see why they wouldn't have him on a par with our current top earners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I read today that Fellaini wants 100k pw which supposedly is leading to wenger cooling his interest. I don't really buy it though, if they're willing to pay 22m for him I don't see why they wouldn't have him on a par with our current top earners.

Yeh seen that last night aswell and just don't buy it as you said if there willing to pay 22m for him I can't see how his wages could be a stumbling block, especially after we were told we could afford high caliber players and he wouldn't even be breaking above our current top earners.

I'm sure agent Arteta is filling him in on how great Arsenal are :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

That can't be right can it? I think he is well worth the 100k a week especially as were paying the likes of Walcott in and around the same as that :eek: In fact I think 100k a week for a player of Fellaini's calibre is a bargain!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Felaini is on £75k at Everton, so it's only reasonable for him to expect £100k from us. Sure, that's what Arshavin was on (or very close to it) and now he's out of the picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Tevez to Juventus is looking as good as done. Might they forget about Higuain now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Tevez to Juventus is looking as good as done. Might they forget about Higuain now?

My nerves with all this, scared ****less of city coming in now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

There's no way they'd need Llorente, Tevez, and Higuain if that's true. And then Jovetic too is seemingly ahead of Higuain for them.

i though Juve were more in for Kolarov than Tevez though?

[edit] Yes, City could be the problem now. Although he'd end up in a similar position in terms of playing time to Real there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -lurk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Koscienly said: 'I have four-year contract. For now, I am still at Arsenal.'

Hmmm how many times have we heard this, seems like another stepping stone job, he can feck off now if his hearts not in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I want to believe we will sign Higuain... But I'm afraid of being let down :(

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    I want to believe we will sign Higuain... But I'm afraid of being let down :(

I just want it to appear on the main BBC website so I can really start believing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I just want it to appear on the main BBC website so I can really start believing.

Great chance of it happening now and i'm starting to believe we will indeed get him. Tevez to Juventus has convinced me of it.

I am not allowing for the "unknown factor" though. feck off City :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Juve sign Tevez. I'd imagine that means they're out of teh picture as far as Higuain is concerned.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23056298

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

City still in for Cavani it seems. That's a big help. Hope we can now finish the job as soon as possible.

Higuan had a great spell under Pelligrini, I'm really starting to worry now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sky reporting that we have met the Felliani release fee and a deal is looking likely. Fingers firmly crossed here

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

greendom wrote: »
    Sky reporting that we have met the Felliani release fee and a deal is looking likely. Fingers firmly crossed here
    Sounds like they were reporting that others have been reporting.

Not fussed about Fellaini and tbh I don't think we're after him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sounds like they were reporting that others have been reporting.

I think he'd be a brilliant addition to our squad. Really completes the midfield

Fellaini is the type of player that we need, we havent had a truely top class DMF since Gilberto Silva, the difference he would make to the defensive side of our game would be immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I don't understand why people are balking at Fellani, he's ideal imo, is a versatile player, capable of filling in DMF as per his preferred position, and when neccesary he can be deployed as an attacking midfielder too, a 2 in 1.

• Advertisement

I don't understand why people are balking at Fellani, he's ideal imo, is a versatile player, capable of filling in DMF as per his preferred position, and when neccesary he can be deployed as an attacking midfielder too, a 2 in 1.

Great on set pieces in our box and our opponents, and only 25 years of age. When you consider West Ham forking out 15 million for Andy Carroll, Fellaini is an absolute steal at 21 million. This guy is strong as on Ox and we will be a real force again with him in our midfield, especially in Europe where I think he will excel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Fellaini is the type of player that we need, we havent had a truely top class DMF since Gilberto Silva, the difference he would make to the defensive side of our game would be immense.

But all of the talk about him last year was his threat in attack, we have plenty of attacking players. To be perfectly honest I've never just sat back and watched him play as a DM, he looks like he's playing as a CM if not an AMF. I know he prefers the role of DM which could benefit us but I'm not quite sure if he'll have the impact we're hoping for. He will be a great aerial threat however.

The thing is that we really need to hit the ground running at the start of next season, and any big name signing we make will be under immense pressure to perform. Remember this summer is being seen by everyone as pretty much the rebuilding of our squad, we have been provided with a nice transfer budget and as a result big things are expected from whoever we sign. Fellaini and Higuain although fantastic players are only human, and as fans we have been waiting so long for a "top class" signing that we will almost definitely have an alien view of just how much impact they should have.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be excited, but we need to look at this objectively as well as from a fan's point of view.

greendom wrote: »

I don't think they are full on reporting that themselves. The clip I saw just seemed to be them talking briefly about it referencing other rumours floating about from different sources. Could be wrong though.

Sounds like you're in denial in case the deal doesn't happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Would be delighted if we get Fellaini he would be a great addition. However I really really want to open up the BBC frontpage and see that we have confirmed Higuain I nearly have the same feeling I did when we signed Bergkamp :P

They need to close this deal quickly because the longer it takes the bigger chance that a moneybags team like City will come in and spoil the signing.

gandalf wrote: »
    Would be delighted if we get Fellaini he would be a great addition. However I really really want to open up the BBC frontpage and see that we have confirmed Higuain I nearly have the same feeling I did when we signed Bergkamp :P

They need to close this deal quickly because the longer it takes the bigger chance that a moneybags team like City will come in and spoil the signing.

I watch quite a bit of Spanish football and I am not joking you Higuain is one of the best finishers on the planet, give him half a chance in around the penalty spot and he will score, he reminds me a lot of Van Nistelrooy deadly in front of goal. He would be a real signal of intent from the club so fingers crossed lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Given the great set up play by Giroud last season a partnership with Higuain is a mouthwatering prospect for us. At the moment I have all my fingers and toes crossed that this deal is finalised quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

gandalf wrote: »
    Given the great set up play by Giroud last season a partnership with Higuain is a mouthwatering prospect for us. At the moment I have all my fingers and toes crossed that this deal is finalised quickly!

not going to happen(two of them playing together) unless we play 2 upfront

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

not going to happen(two of them playing together) unless we play 2 upfront

Just thinking that, we don't really have the midfielders to play 2 in midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'm still very meh about the big Belgian microphone.

He would be an addition but he is not an outstanding defensive midfielder.

Yes he's tough in the tackle and that's good but he won't offer enough as regards linking up play (think what Arteta does best in that position).

This of course would be offset by the amount of goals he scored but there's no way Wenger will use him as a big battering ram so that will drop off hugely.

Having an out and out DMF like Gilberto was is something of a luxury that can only be afforded when you've people like Henry and Bergkamp in front if him. Everyone needs to attack a bit these days and if Fellaini joins Arsenal, he's going to have to get involved in possession football where we keep the ball on the deck.

• Advertisement

Sounds like you're in denial in case the deal doesn't happen!
    Well I'd say I'm covered because there doesn't seem to be anything behind the rumours - just a bit of tabloid rumour mongering being reposted again and again.

But at any rate I don't think Fellaini is half as amazing as people go on about - he's a quality player to be sure, but he's a quality attacking midfielder and I don't think he's better than Cazorla there. People are just looking at his frame and a few quotes that he'd rather play more defensively and assuming he'd be a brilliant sitting player for us, which I don't think is true. It'd negate a lot of his best qualities and expose some of his weaker ones. He wouldn't be any better than Song in there, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you can get that for less than the prices being talked about.

Of course if we did sign him, I think we'd play him in a more box to box role with Arteta or possibly Ramsey sitting more, but I don't think that'd be ideal either because a) I don't think he'd be necessarily perfect for us in that role and b) I don't think he'd work with Wilshere in the midfield base, which is what I think we need to look for long term.

... and this is why I have my doubts that we're even in for him, combined with most of the reports about him coming simply being rehashes of old rumours that didn't have much substance to begin with. I'd much rather someone like Bender.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Just thinking that, we don't really have the midfielders to play 2 in midfield.

Last thing we need is giroud playing as a winger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I can't believe people would question the signing of Fellaini were it to happen he is a terrific player who would undoubtedly improve our first 11.

I've said it before but ill say it again he has been brilliant ever since joining Everton but never won the plaudits because sadly goals gain media hype, he could be what Diaby could have been for Arsenal had injuries not destroyed him.

If we got Fellaini and Higuain I would be delighted with our summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

I can't believe people would question the signing of Fellaini were it to happen he is a terrific player who would undoubtedly improve our first 11.

I've said it before but ill say it again he has been brilliant ever since joining Everton but never won the plaudits because sadly goals gain media hype, he could be what Diaby could have been for Arsenal had injuries not destroyed him.

If we got Fellaini and Higuain I would be delighted with our summer.

If I could thank this 10 times I would.
    I think it would our best summers transfer deals in many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Fellaini is as good as any cm in the premiership to be honest and i think hes a better player than arteta,ramsey and dare i say wilshere at the moment. Thats my opinion and dont expect everyone to agree but i think we should all agree that provided he fits in and settles that he is a great signing for us.

I'd question the signing of most players when they don't play the position we'd be signing them for.

We have to be the slowest club at transfers, always been the same, probably arguing over a euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

We have to be the slowest club at transfers, always been the same, probably arguing over a euro.

Not a whole lot has happened elsewhere and the transfer window hasn't even opened yet. It's a bit early to be getting so frustrated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

L'prof wrote: »
    Not a whole lot has happened elsewhere and the transfer window hasn't even opened yet. It's a bit early to be getting so frustrated!
    The transfer window has opened.
    http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/fans/faqs/when-does-transfer-window-open-close.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Fellaini needs to be playing in the Champions League and competing for trophies. He won't get that at Everton. The World Cup is next summer and barring a complete collapse Belgium will be there. Wenger...you know what to do!!!

We have signed plenty of players nice and quickly and early in the past. Off the top of my head; Podolski, Rosicky were very early, Vermaelen too, and Giroud was signed this time last year. No need to be getting worked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I bet every club feels the same when they follow every step so closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

DenMan wrote: »
    Fellaini needs to be playing in the Champions League and competing for trophies. He won't get that at Everton. The World Cup is next summer and barring a complete collapse Belgium will be there. Wenger...you know what to do!!!

where does fellaini play for belgium our of interest? dm?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd question the signing of most players when they don't play the position we'd be signing them for.

At least he wants to play DM, Wenger had had a habit of signing some players in recent year and playing them where they don't want to be.

Thought this was kinda funny. Article bigging up Carrick's role in the United team by using various stats ... and Arteta is ahead in every one.

BNrWaSMCcAAiG4m.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/smoliver96/status/349827668117712896/photo/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

darego wrote: »
    where does fellaini play for belgium our of interest? dm?

Yes but also enjoys getting forward. Belgium's midfield is strong and they encourage him to get forward. He scored in the 2-1 win over Serbia a few weeks ago.

At least he wants to play DM, Wenger had had a habit of signing some players in recent year and playing them where they don't want to be.
    True, but players don't always know what's best for either themselves or the team; Walcott's desire to play centrally being a case in point.

Listen, I'd be happy if we signed Fellaini because I trust that if Arsene wants to spend a substantial amount of money on a player, he'll have a plan for how to utilise the player. But I don't think he is interested in Fellaini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Not to mention a 'poor' player ramsey is also ahead of him too in half the stats.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Not to mention a 'poor' player ramsey is also ahead of him too in half the stats.
    I have been a big critic of Ramsey myself the past season but I dont think anybody has ever called him a poor player to be fair, he is a good player I think in the same bracket as Flamini or Mark Noble, good to have as backup but not good enough to warrant a start at a club like Arsenal, good player but very wasteful at times.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I bet every club feels the same when they follow every step so closely.

City Liverpool have signed 3 players, actually Liverpool 4 players, Chelsea signed a forward yesterday, everyone has been aware of this higuan transfer for weeks but still nothing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement