Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Im no fan of Santos but ffs these 'supporters' should cop the fcuk on and actually encourage the player to do better when he is on the field rather than resorting to this petty moronic sh*t. Booing will achieve nothing. It is counter productive and if anything It will strengthen Wengers resolve to keep him.

He is on the pitch and while he may not do well he certainly wont do well if the crowd are on his back heckling the sh*t out of him

Same happened with Eboué. He was never a world beater, but a versatile squad player for us. After a bad patch fans boo'd the living daylights out of him, making him worse and worse until he eventually left the club. Looking at our complete lack of wing backs last season due to an injury crisis, we really could have done with hanging on to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭iainconlon12

There's talk of Song back to us on loan. To be honest, I would not say no at all.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Same happened with Eboué. He was never a world beater, but a versatile squad player for us. After a bad patch fans boo'd the living daylights out of him, making him worse and worse until he eventually left the club. Looking at our complete lack of wing backs last season due to an injury crisis, we really could have done with hanging on to him.

Maybe my memory isn't what it used to be, but didn't Eboué say that that was the turning point for him, and he started extra training and whatnot to stop the boos? Because he certainly ended his Arsenal career better than when e started.

Or am I deluded?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Maybe my memory isn't what it used to be, but didn't Eboué say that that was the turning point for him, and he started extra training and whatnot to stop the boos? Because he certainly ended his Arsenal career better than when e started.

Or am I deluded?

:D

I had the same impression actually! He was getting booed before and ended up a fan favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

There's talk of Song back to us on loan. To be honest, I would not say no at all.

Papers making shiit up again, doing 1+1 and getting 10, Song has been branded a flop in Spain , were in desperate need of a more defensive minded midfielder yeh sure throw it in the paper there Songs going back to Arsenal.

Never mind the fact various sources claim he was a bad influence and Wenger wanted him out.

On the match last night was in work so saw some of the game, all I can say is the defence for the two goals was a disgrace schoolboys would be better organized than that, it was embarrassing really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Santos did OK, but overall is a liability.

The thing about him is that if he gets beat on the wing, he gets done hook, line and sinker, with him on his backside and the winger away into open space. Alongside Mert it is a recipe for disaster, the 2nd goal was a case in point, Henderson powering away from Mert and Santos, it was pathetic.

Delighted with Giroud, his link up play is good, deft lay offs in the box, good in the air and a good shot.

We will have to win the next 3 in the league now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭ronjo

Arsenal...... The only team ever to make Jordan Henderson look like Lionel Messi !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

This current arsenal defence has to be the worst i have ever seen there seems to be no taking and no one really willing to throw there body in front of shot that are coming in they are happy to hang a leg out and hope they get a touch.look at Mertesacker for the Suarez goal he nearly turned his back he should be putting everything in front of it. i wont even say anything about Verms swinger which led to it coz that is just a joke. Thank fcuk our strikers are firing.I know i will prob get slated for this but Santi is getting into a very bad habit of holding onto the ball for too long and being dispossessed it happened alot over the last few games..i doubt there will be any signings today and Wenger will be moved on in the summer with a new manager coming in.Alot of people saying there is gonna be major changes at Arsenal in the next year...But who knows exactly what they will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It's hard not to laugh. This has to be some of the worst defending I've ever seen at this level.

suarez2.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

It's great to see Giroud score and be this prolific for us consider he got off to such a rocky start :) Walcott is playing fantasticly, he was brilliant today absolutely brilliant. Cazorla did well, serious effort today. Our defending is comical though and scez was as unpredictabe as usual. We absolutely need one or two defenders in this transfer window, anything else is surrendering our champs league spot because we certainly won't get it with our current defenders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

jester77 wrote: »
    It's hard not to laugh. This has to be some of the worst defending I've ever seen at this level.

suarez2.gif

You would see better defending at my local club on a Sunday morning with most of the team still half pissed,its embarrassing.
    I think its time to sell one of the 3 cb and get in a proper cb,spend big on him.personally id get rid of mert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

suarez2.gif

When Vermaelan tries to deal with crosses he always seems to throw himself off balance, don't remember him doing it before but he's done it a number of times this season.

TheGunns wrote: »
    When Vermaelan tries to deal with crosses he always seems to throw himself off balance, don't remember him doing it before but he's done it a number of times this season.

He didn't even have to swing at that any good defender would have realized that there was so much pace on the cross he just had to open his foot out and use the pace on the ball to clear it,but no he tries to put it into row z and ends up nearly doing a somersault

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

suarez2.gif

Needs Benny Hill music in the background.

Its hard to see where this kind of crap can be cut out. Its all individual mistakes, not the kind of thing you can work on the training ground. If Sagna doesnt slip, he clears the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

that goal was mostly Vermalhens fault. Dunno why he was throwing himself at the ball like that. Ok Sanga slpped but Vermalhen should have cleared it. The captain needs to be benched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

jonny666 wrote: »
    that goal was mostly Vermalhens fault. Dunno why he was throwing himself at the ball like that. Ok Sanga slpped but Vermalhen should have cleared it. The captain needs to be benched

Agree completely. A slip is unfortunate rather than bad defending. TV did an almost identical thing that led to RVP's goal against us.

rvp1.gif?w=610

Plus, I have a lot of time for Kos as a defender. Really think he can be top-class.

As someone said already, the next 3 games are do-or-die for us. 7 points minimum, potentially even 9, needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

We're screwed if any of our CB's get injured now. I'd imagine Verm will be playing at LB until Gibbs is fit again which means we'll have to play all 3 of our senior LB's in every game now for at least the next three weeks, probably longer if Gibbs injury record is anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Just realised Gibbs is out for the 1st leg v Bayern.

tumblr_ltsomig4fc1qmf6dp.gif

Frisbee wrote: »
    We're screwed if any of our CB's get injured now. I'd imagine Verm will be playing at LB until Gibbs is fit again which means we'll have to play all 3 of our senior LB's in every game now for at least the next three weeks, probably longer if Gibbs injury record is anything to go by.

*CB's, but point taken. It's far from ideal and don't want to be in a situation where one gets injured.

No Gibbs for Bayern?

29015127.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Latest player being linked is some defender in France called Bong. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Latest player being linked is some defender in France called Bong. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Can't be worse than Santos, so we can't complain.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pretty depressing to log in and see the Liverpool match is still the main topic rather than some super quality player we just signed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

24 with 10 caps for Cameroon and coming to the end of his contract with Valenciennes so he should be cheap. Never seen him play though so can't comment any further - not sure he's top top quality though

Newcastle made an offer for him earlier this month apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

shano_88 wrote: »
    Had a horrible dream last night that Gibbs got injured and we had to play Santos vs Arjen Robben and Bayern Munich. Shudders...

Oh dear god.

Somebody who knows the French league wrote this about Bong: "Gaétan Bong : good friend of Kos and Giroud, good to attack, fast, and he knows how to cross. He worked hard on his défense, he's good now."

Sounds so much better than any of our defenders from that description. lol

Man City state that they won't be in for Villa. Hopefully we do something about it. Even just as a morale booster, we could use a big name like him coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

I remember this posted here from two years ago....

''Transfer deadline day for an Arsenal fan is like being a kid that is kept in on detention watching everyone else having fun in the playground.''

Sad times....

Id love it if Baines came in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

jonny666 wrote: »
    Id love it if Baines came in.

Any chance ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

As much as I want players I don't want panic buys like ehem santos and park. If we don't get proper targets then I don't want second best, like at left back, we need someone better than gibbs not someone who can compete with gibbs and not to single out gibbs it goes for many of the positions.

The Telegraph is now linking us with Periera from Inter as a back up for gibbs.

Here's a Bong compilation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Oranage2 wrote: »
    As much as I want players I don't want panic buys like ehem santos and park. If we don't get proper targets then I don't want second best, like at left back, we need someone better than gibbs not someone who can compete with gibbs and not to single out gibbs it goes for many of the positions.

I agree. Nobody worth getting is gonna come in to be backup to Gibbs. Not having a go at Gibbs but why would a decent player want to go to any team as backup.

greendom wrote: »

Any chance ?

About as much as me getting a call up I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Frisbee wrote: »

Am I the only one who remembers the last time Verm/Kos played LB? It totally neutralised any effect we had on the left side and impacted on us going forward in general.

I think we would be much better playing Santos there. Last night he did ok for us and as long as the team/Wenger/whoever realises that he is vulnerable and needs someone to help him on the wing, we could be ok defensively and still have a good offence.

The obvious thing to do for the next few games, if we do have to play Santos at LB, would be to switch to a 4-4-2, but there is as much chance of signing Neymar as Wenger doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Here's a Bong compilation

I'll have my own Bong compilation later if we don't Fcuking sign someone.

At this point I've given up on anything big best we can hope for is a squad player

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I hate TDD.

Just got a test from a mate: "Transfer deadline day. Or as you Arsenal fans call it, Thursday".

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

keano_afc wrote: »
    I hate TDD.

Just got a test from a mate: "Transfer deadline day. Or as you Arsenal fans call it, Thursday".

Nah we call it "The Transfer Window" since we never do any business until it starts.

Same old **** last night. Unless we sign 3 players from nowhere this evening we may write off next season as well, if we get 3 players in in the summer we'll have the usual **** start and it'll be "oh they need time to settle in". I'm ****in pissed off with it at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Buttonftw wrote: »
    Same old **** last night. Unless we sign 3 players from nowhere this evening we may write off next season as well, if we get 3 players in in the summer we'll have the usual **** start and it'll be "oh they need time to settle in". I'm ****in pissed off with it at this stage.

If we don't sign one player we can write off the five seasons imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

If we don't sign one player we can write off the five seasons imo

5 seasons eh?

Arsene's to do list for today

1359641934_zps724aee59.jpg

5 seasons eh?

Yeah thought that was a bit excessive myself

We're interested in Malaga's LB, Monreal. Would be a deadly signing! This info comes from GeoffArsenal.

-He also say's we have interest in a CB and GK.

We're interested in Malaga's LB, Monreal. Would be a deadly signing! This info comes from GeoffArsenal.

hopefully 1 if not 2 of them can be done by 11 def a CB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ive been working all day and havent heard any news, quickly how many and who have we signed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Was at the game last night few quick thoughts

Secz- the crowd and the team have lost confidence in him it seems

Mert - time to be dropped was brutal last night that's 3 bad games in a row

Barcay - what happened to him

Santos - hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Finally Ramsey was brilliant last night was arsenals best player by a mile his work rate off the ball is unreal, so impressed I think arteta has a job of getting his place back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Monreal would be a good signing imo from what I've seen of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Good old GeoffArsenal. Been a great and reliable source of info in this window so far

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement