Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

batistuta9 wrote: »
    explain to us why this wouldn't work

It's not that it wouldn't work. It's that it won't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

For a start we play 4-3-3?

Rooney may be one of the front three, but I can't see him falling into the midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'd rather Messi playing behind Falcao.

About as realistic.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Not really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

gosplan wrote: »
    I'd rather Messi playing behind Falcao.

About as realistic.

like it or not

believe it or not

arsenal are interested in Rooney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

like it or not

believe it or not

Exactly whether it happens or not is another thing but there's never smoke without fire and when a rumour pops up that often time and time again it always means there's interest, just because they don't always come off doesn't mean there wasn't attempts behind the scenes to make it happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

like it or not

believe it or not

Rooney and Higuain both want to leave their clubs to be the main man at another. We play with 1 up front. If either joins, the other won't as it will mean they will either:
    1: Be playing deeper
    or
    2: Not be playing every week

That's why it wouldn't work.

like it or not

believe it or not

Why? Because it's in the paper or on twitter?

Doesn't matter whether I like it or not. The idea that we'd sign someone on 250k per week is insane.

Or maybe we'll pay him 150k per week and give him a signing on bonus of the other 15 million that he would have gotten over a 4 year contract.

Rooney = news, that's all there is to this rumour.

Doesn't matter whether I like it or not. The idea that we'd sign someone on 250k per week is insane.

Or maybe we'll pay him 150k per week and give him a signing on bonus of the other 15 million that he would have gotten over a 4 year contract.

Because it's all over the place from various different sources, including GeoffArsenal who constantly get line ups right, injuries and has gotten transfer right before aswell he was the first to call the Cazorla deal.

Whether we get him is one thing I don't think we will but we are certainly interested.

what did Gazidas say?

what did Wenger say about him?

you've as much an idea as me or anyone else on here for that matter, what arsenal will or won't do regards wages now or what way they'll work out deals

I know & agree that his wages seem ludicrous for arsenal but i don't agree with this 'no chance' attitude of him signing either

• Advertisement

Because it's all over the place from various different sources, including GeoffArsenal who constantly get line ups right, injuries and has gotten transfer right before aswell he was the first to call the Cazorla deal.

Whether we get him is one thing I don't think we will but we are certainly interested.

So because it's in the paper and on twitter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

what did Gazidas say?

you've as much an idea as me or anyone else on here for that matter, what arsenal will or won't do regards wages now or what way they'll work out deals

I know & agree that his wages seem ludicrous for arsenal but i don't agree with this 'no chance' attitude of him signing either

What does it matter what they said? They were directly asked about him.

Reporter: Mr Wenger what do you think of Rooney
    Wenger: Rooney is an excellent player

EXCLUSIVE WENGER TO SIGN ROONEY

where do you usually hear your transfers stories from?

Nationwide?
    Fair City?
    Mass?
    Spar?
    Barbers?
    Tesco?

thorbarry wrote: »
    What does it matter what they said? They were directly asked about him.

Reporter: Mr Wenger what do you think of Rooney
    Wenger: Rooney is an excellent player

EXCLUSIVE WENGER TO SIGN ROONEY

what do you mean what does it matter?

the whole thing is based on there's no way it could be done financially & arsenal wouldn't be interested anyway

Gazidas - we could do rooney, more than rooney

wenger - who wouldn't be interested

and the stories were already there before either of those quotes came out

Yeh because it's from what can be considered reliable sources or would you prefer if I just make them up myself:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

what do you mean what does it matter?

the whole thing is based on there's no way it could be done financially & arsenal wouldn't be interested anyway

Gazidas - we could do rooney, more than rooney

wenger - who wouldn't be interested

and the stories were already there before either of those quotes came out

Headlines are taken out of context, reporters ask them questions so they can print some sh!te as a story

Headlines are taken out of context, reporters ask them questions so they can print some sh!te as a story

Know your facts ;), the Gazidis quotes come from an Arsenal Q&A with the fans no reporters involved. Full transcripts and videos of which are available online if you look.

nope, not this time but yeah that does happen

the transcript for the gazidas interview is available

wenger's comment is on a video in response to a question

what did Gazidas say?

Obviously there's a chance we could sign him but I just don't see it as realistic at all.

If you logically look at it, none of it makes any sense whatsoever.

But we all know Rooney so it's an easy story.

Just like the Cesc to Utd stories from a few weeks ago.

What I'm arguing is that it's based in nothing and people may as well post about Messi or McShane as repeat nonsense rumours who's only basis for being repeated and recycled is that it's an easy story for the general masses to grasp.

I don't accept it as gospel that Rooney is on £250,000 a week.

At any rate, we should have at least £600,000 a week to play with between transfers and wages this summer, so he is affordable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Rooney is supposedly on 200k basic and its bumped by performance bonuses and image payments.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Obviously there's a chance we could sign him but I just don't see it as realistic at all.

If you logically look at it, none of it makes any sense whatsoever.

But we all know Rooney so it's an easy story.

Just like the Cesc to Utd stories from a few weeks ago.

What I'm arguing is that it's based in nothing and people may as well post about Messi or McShane as repeat nonsense rumours who's only basis for being repeated and recycled is that it's an easy story for the general masses to grasp.

For me the difference between the Rooney/Arsenal rumours and the United/Cesc rumours is the latter have gone away. Generally when the rumours are this consistent there tends to be some truth to them imo (add the Gazidis & Wenger quotes to the equation too). I really think we are looking at Rooney but i also really think we won't sign him.

As far as I can see, due to the quotes from Wenger & Gazidis there's more solid evidence we're in for Rooney than Fellaini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

FFS hadn't been on here since yesterday and I see theres 6 pages of posts, convinced we had signed someone :mad:

BTW is this the most activity and longest run of posts we have ever had here where some pleb hasn't called for Arsene out??

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

FFS hadn't been on here since yesterday and I see theres 6 pages of posts, convinced we had signed someone :mad:

BTW is this the most activity and longest run of posts we have ever had here where some pleb hasn't called for Arsene out??

I'm not sure, how long ago was ColonialBoy's last post? He might have snook in a "wenger out" when he was saying Higuain isn't good enough to play for Arsenal.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    For me the difference between the Rooney/Arsenal rumours and the United/Cesc rumours is the latter have gone away. Generally when the rumours are this consistent there tends to be some truth to them imo (add the Gazidis & Wenger quotes to the equation too). I really think we are looking at Rooney but i also really think we won't sign him.

As far as I can see, due to the quotes from Wenger & Gazidis there's more solid evidence we're in for Rooney than Fellaini.

Don't forget the Usmanov quotes on Rooney aswell, I know he not on the board but you can be sure he knows of going's on at the club.

But much like yourself I think we are interested but don't think we will sign him.

At this stage I think I'm wasting my time telling you guys to stop wasting your time.

At this stage I think I'm wasting my time telling you guys to stop wasting your time.
    Well you haven't really made much of an argument other than just say it's crazy over and over.

we're glass half full kind of guys :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

What it feels like in here the last few days with everyone arguing over the same thing everyone wants for Arsenal - transfers in to make us a better team.

• Advertisement

If I considered discussing these things wasting my time I wouldn't post here at all tbh. There's bugger all else Arsenal related to talk about at this time of year.

Well you haven't really made much of an argument other than just say it's crazy over and over.

I did that a few days ago.

Price, position, the player himself. None of it is realistic I feel.

Perhaps you can advise me why you think it is though.

Not sure if this was posted already but apparently we've agreed a fee with Frankfurt for Bendtner: http://www.bundesliga365.com/2856/arsenal-agree-fee-with-frankfurt-for-striker/

Well, because our financial capabilities take a massive jump this summer. The new Emirates deal coming into effect now is roughly a £23 million a year step up on what we already have, we’re likely to drop 5 non-playing members of the senior team from the wage bill, there’s the new TV deal for next season (iirc worth about 60% more than the current one), and there’s various other corporate deals we’ve agreed with the likes of Airtel etc.

I reckon it’d probably cost an additional £30m a year to bring in Rooney /and/ Higuain, which is comfortably within our reach.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If I considered discussing these things wasting my time I wouldn't post here at all tbh. There's bugger all else Arsenal related to talk about at this time of year.

:) true. I think that still constituted wasting out time though. Wonder how many man- hours have been lost to bullsh1t transfer rumours by now.

Well, because our financial capabilities take a massive jump this summer. The new Emirates deal coming into effect now is roughly a £23 million a year step up on what we already have, we’re likely to drop 5 non-playing members of the senior team from the wage bill, there’s the new TV deal for next season (iirc worth about 60% more than the current one), and there’s various other corporate deals we’ve agreed with the likes of Airtel etc.

I reckon it’d probably cost an additional £30m a year to bring in Rooney /and/ Higuain, which is comfortably within our reach.

So apart from us bring able to afford it, which is basically what Gazidas said, do you think Wenger is interested in Rooney?

I'm genuinely curious here. I'd see him as massively overpriced, a bit of a gamble, and a waste of resources given they players we need. I also wonder whether he'd be interested in us at all.

All in all, I see it as hypothetical only and a waste of conversation. For me, if we're talking about playing Rooney behind Higuain (formation? Cazorla? Wilshire?), then we may as well be discussing signing Ronaldo instead of the pair of them.

• Advertisement

:) true. I think that still constituted wasting out time though. Wonder how many man- hours have been lost to bullsh1t transfer rumours by now.

2 weeks (i think) today the team go head off to Asia, somebody should be sign before that you'd think

So apart from us bring able to afford it, which is basically what Gazidas said, do you think Wenger is interested in Rooney?

I'm genuinely curious here. I'd see him as massively overpriced, a bit of a gamble, and a waste of resources given they players we need. I also wonder whether he'd be interested in us at all.

Wenger has already said he would be interested?

I agree I think there are better options available, his attitude is questionable, and would he be interested in us I don't think so, but all that doesn't mean Arsenal haven't got an interest in him which I think they do.

I'd say so. He's a better player than Higuain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

completely agree with Gosplan.

For what rooney would cost i'm certain we could do better, he's a talented and quality player but there are big question marks over him for me.
    Condition, future condition, attitude and wanting to play for arsenal. I think he’s not on the cards.

Wenger has already said he would be interested?

I agree I think there are better options available, his attitude is questionable, and would he be interested in us I don't think so, but all that doesn't mean Arsenal haven't got an interest in him which I think they do.

Or did he just answer a question by saying 'who wouldn't?'

• Advertisement

Or did he just answer a question by saying 'who wouldn't?'

Maybe but he could just have easily said no interest at all which he has done in the past about players, there is to many murmuring's coming from the club for it to be just rumours.

I'd prefer Higuain personally.

Just further to our new financial abilities; our last annual turnover announced was £235m – in 12 months time that is likely to rise to at least £320m. That’s higher than Bayern and close to United’s (current) level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

More importantly, any update on whether Theo really did headbutt Lennon? It makes me smile just thinking about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I have to say I'd prefer higuain over Rooney any day of the week. Too much hassle with Rooney. I also read that Rooney and London might be a bad mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Higuain, Fellaini, Grenier, a number 4 CB - or the promotion of Miquel, a left winger, and i'd consider this a super summer. We'd still have money left for Jan if we needed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

jonny666 wrote: »
    I have to say I'd prefer higuain over Rooney any day of the week. Too much hassle with Rooney. I also read that Rooney and London might be a bad mix.

Pretty sure that was Adams. Rightly or wrongly I instantly dismiss everything he says these days. He might be right on this occasion, but I'm sure Rooney is old enough to be able to handle London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

You read a quote from the ever bitter Tony Adams, the irony of he's warning was quite amusing. And if there was no interest and no move from Arsenal, why would he have felt the need to make them comments? There is no doubt in my mind that there is an interest on our behlf, it may be unlikely to come to fruition but I firmly believe the interest is genuine.

L'prof wrote: »
    Pretty sure that was Adams. Rightly or wrongly I instantly dismiss everything he says these days. He might be right on this occasion, but I'm sure Rooney is old enough to be able to handle London.

He should have been the new chairman!!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

L'prof wrote: »
    You read a quote from the ever bitter Tony Adams, the irony of he's warning was quite amusing. And if there was no interest and no move from Arsenal, why would he have felt the need to make them comments? There is no doubt in my mind that there is an interest on our behlf, it may be unlikely to come to fruition but I firmly believe the interest is genuine.

Ah yeah thats where I got that from!! Forgot it was adams who said it. Even still it makes sense. He'd be out smoking fags every night of the week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

Ah yeah thats where I got that from!! Forgot it was adams who said it. Even still it makes sense. He'd be out smoking fags every night of the week!!

I am pretty sure you can buy cigarettes in Manchester :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement