Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Well lets see globally what forward is better in my opinion than higuain:
    1) Messi – unobtainable
    2) Cronaldo – unobtainable, somewhat undesirable (he’s a fantastic player and athlete but by no means a team player and this arsenal side for all our issues are very much a team)
    3) Aguero – unobtainable
    4) Van Persie – whoops! Lost him!
    5) Falcao – unobtainable
    6) Cavani - we cannot afford

I can't think of anyone else. And I think he's better (value) than rooney.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

We could buy Cavani twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

That was obviously a joke. Are you always so belligerent?

Rooney, Lewandowski and Cavani are all better than Higuain and could be on the move this summer.

Only Cavani has a better goal ratio than Higuain out of the above, we need a out and out goalscorer and Higuain fits the bill perfectly. Why would you pay 55 million when you can get a striker (who is younger) and in my opinion better for around 25 million?

not when the oil rich boys step in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Rooney, Lewandowski and Cavani are all better than Higuain and could be on the move this summer.

Depends on who I'm replying to ;).

Rooney no, Lewandowski no and Cavani no.

Rooney quality player but his attitude is questionable he has a tendency during his whole time at United to have fluctuating form, will he disrupt the dressing room with his tantrums, will he perform week in week out possibly not. Rooney is higher risk than most.

Lewandowski I think is on a par with Higuain and with City, United sniffing around we have no chance.

Cavani likewise as Lewandowski and I think Cavani is ridiculousy overpriced and not worth blowing our whole budget on, he is not of the caliber of Ronaldo or Messi who would be worth blowing every penny you have on.

We could buy Cavani twice.

If he eats a certain amount he might do a Sheldon Cooper and replicate by means of mitosis. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

While I do think Higuain is a good signing and the best we can get, Cavani is an outstanding player and is probably better than Higuain. With Wenger is charge there is zero chance of signing Cavani imo, too much money for us right now when they could bring in a quality defensive midfielder along with Higuain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Is Lewandowski really better than Higuain? Really?

Rooney is currently accelerating towards the knackers yard. The clun who spend 30m and gives him 200k a week 4 year contract needs their head examined.

Cavani is unobtainable for us. Madrid, if they want him, would blow us out of the water.

Higuain is in fact a steal at 22m.

If we pull that off, it is the coup of all coups. We he to go to any club excet United and City, he would automaticlaly currently be their best striker.

Only RVP and Aguero can match him. He pisses all over Torres and Ba, for instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Cavani?? FFS lads get a grip, even City have baulked at the asking price, quite frankly its ludicrous, Higuain at the figures been quoted is one of the best pieces of business Arsenal have ever done (assuming its going to be done)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Cavani would obviously be great. However he's not worth as much more than Higuain as he would cost us. And we'll also not practically be able to compete with Chelsea and City for him, even if we can theoretically afford him.

• Advertisement

you know what, if it doesn't get done now there's going to be a whole lot of pi$$ed off Gooners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

bad2dabone wrote: »
    you know what, if it doesn't get done now there's going to be a whole lot of pi$$ed off Gooners!

whoever would be the alternative would be interesting

Signing Higuain is fine (even if Cavani going to Chelsea leaves us with the weakest striker of the top 4) as long as the resources we save on him are allocated elsewhere. Pity Isco went to Madrid.

not when the oil rich boys step in.
    FFP seems to be throttling them down.

Pity Isco went to Madrid.

I think long term Thiago will end up the better player.

If United get Thiago they will get arguably the best Spanish midfielder outside of FCB’s starting line-up…including Santi, Mata and Silva.
    He’s like a genetically-spliced cross between the control of Xavi and the flair and trickery of Ronaldinho.
    There’s a huge amount of hype about Isco – and rightly so, he’s delish – but I think Thiago’s the better player.
    I just hope he's staying at barca and using uniteds interest to get more minutes.

For us though I'd be interested in looking into how much Hamsik would cost us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'd rather have Hig and the Wig than have Cavani

Good player, but he's more of a central player isn't he? I wouldn't move Cazorla out of the central attacking midfield position unless it was for Fabregas. Otherwise I'd focus on getting a wide player. El Shaarawy would be nice.

FFP seems to be throttling them down.

Hopefully. still City shipping in some costly additions and the window hasn't even opened.
    Either way, we all want the best for arsenal, but realistically we can't quite pick from the very very top of the tree, the lads who want 200k a week etc. We're not far below it but we still are.

Good player, but he's more of a central player isn't he? I wouldn't move Cazorla out of the central attacking midfield position unless it was for Fabregas. Otherwise I'd focus on getting a wide player. El Shaarawy would be nice.

good points. I'd love a proper wide left player (more "proper" than Pod)

• Advertisement

Hopefully. still City shipping in some costly additions and the window hasn't even opened.
    Either way, we all want the best for arsenal, but realistically we can't quite pick from the very very top of the tree, the lads who want 200k a week etc. We're not far below it but we still are.
    Well they've offloaded Tevez and Balotelli not so long ago, and it looks like Dzeko will be on the move too. They're still a player but it seems apparent both themselves and Chelsea aren't able to tower over everyone in the market anymore - otherwise, they wouldn't be haggling with teams like Napoli.

The TV deal and the Emirates deal will increase our income annually by something in the region of £55m, starting this summer. £200k a week players are well within our reach now.

My own opinion is we need a CF, a CM and a CB

Higuain and Fellaini would do nicely if we got them for the first two and a CB im not sure I'm happy with our first choice pairing of Mert and Kos but we do need back up.

I'm happy with the wings to be honest well maybe they could be improved but I think there are more pressing issues. Plus I hope and expect Ox to improve next season and hopefully see more of Gnabry who I think could be a great player in the making.

I agree we can afford to pay that wage, with the new incomes and the clearing of some dross off the wage bill. The thing is will the boss pay those wages ? :)

I'd love cavani, but he's too pricey. And I totally get your point that we should care less about the value on offer, but we've been condtioned by 5 years of recession :):)

I think long term Thiago will end up the better player.

If United get Thiago they will get arguably the best Spanish midfielder outside of FCB’s starting line-up…including Santi, Mata and Silva.
    He’s like a genetically-spliced cross between the control of Xavi and the flair and trickery of Ronaldinho.
    There’s a huge amount of hype about Isco – and rightly so, he’s delish – but I think Thiago’s the better player.
    I just hope he's staying at barca and using uniteds interest to get more minutes.

A very interesting suggestion.

Arsenal song commitee, It actually not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

TheGunns wrote: »
    While I do think Higuain is a good signing and the best we can get, Cavani is an outstanding player and is probably better than Higuain. With Wenger is charge there is zero chance of signing Cavani imo, too much money for us right now when they could bring in a quality defensive midfielder along with Higuain.
    Think of the strikers that have come to the premier league from la liga and done well and how many have come from Seria A and done well andi I think the fact that he has been one of the top ones in la liga and for a third of the price which allows us to pick up fellaini and ANother and I would definitely prefer Higuain to Cavani

• Advertisement

but we've been condtioned by 5 years of recession :):)
    When things have been the same for so long it's hard to imagine them ever being different, but it is a change year!

We’ve got a huge jump in income coming and conceivably we might have as many as 8 first team members off the wage bill (and yet lose nobody of importance!), so despite our deeply ingrained fiscal conservatism it’s inconceivable to me that we’ll go through this summer without making major, major additions to the squad.

It’s one thing to operate the way we have these past years when our financials have had us barely breaking even; it’s another to operate that way and then announce huge footballing profits (we’ve made big profits before, but on unrepeatable stuff like property sales). If we have another cheapo summer, finish fourth and then announce that our turnover has increased to £280m and we’ve made a £45m profit, Gazidis will be lynched and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Im of the same opinion, things will change this summer and we will spend significant sums. However, if Higuain is the only major outlay, along with Sanogo and whatever minor/youth type singings we will no doubt see, will that be seen as acceptable? I think its gonna require at least 2 major 20m ish players to appease the masses.

absolutely agree Pepe, this is a year we should use the rewards we've gained from the good work that the commercial team have done and push on and try to reclaim our spot at the very top table and not be scraping 4th.
    If we don't spend the money I think though that Wenger will bare the brunt of the ire. Gazidis' contribution has been, on the face of it, largely successful. Gazidis has done a good job of saying to everyone that the money is there to spend, he's put the ball in Wengers court.
    I'd love to see Dein back at the club as a representative of Red & White Holdings (which they should have a rep at the club!) and for him to help wenger in making the signings happen. It always seemed to me anyhow that Dean is a guy who can get things done.

There is too much made about the sum that we pay out.

Id rather a Michu signing for 2.5m than an Andy Carrol for 35m.

I get the sense that some people think big outlay automatically equals quality.

Higuain at 22m would be the coup of all coups.

He is absolutely world class, at a lovely price.

If we don't sign him, I will cry hot tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Jesus I was away since morning and when I saw all the traffic on this thread I thought we signed someone :mad:

Pleas Mr Wenger stop talking about money and concentrate on the players we need and should sign and FFS hurry up. I don't care what they cost as i'm not a director.

Also people saying the transfer window didn't even open yet are wrong, it's well opened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'd be hopeful about Higusin going very well for us if he joins.

Eduardo wasn't the greatest player ever but he was a finisher and made a huge difference for us before his injury.

We're not creating as many chances these days but that should sort itself out as the midfield improves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Jesus I was away since morning and when I saw all the traffic on this thread I thought we signed someone :mad:

Pleas Mr Wenger stop talking about money and concentrate on the players we need and should sign and FFS hurry up. I don't care what they cost as i'm not a director.

Also people saying the transfer window didn't even open yet are wrong, it's well opened.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?q=wenger+slide&sa=X&biw=360&bih=587&tbm=isch&tbnid=eKBlOvCdL3HDdM:&imgrefurl=http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3679274/Is-Arsene-Wenger-splashing-out-in-Europe.html&docid=PdIvDGOHC4l70M&imgurl=http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01340/Arsne_01_1340017a.jpg&w=682&h=450&ei=JLfNUe-uEaXD7Abs-YGwAQ&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:1,s:0,i:84

gosplan wrote: »

Eduardo wasn't the greatest player ever but he was a finisher and made a huge difference for us before his injury.

We're not creating as many chances these days but that should sort itself out as the midfield improves.
    I'd be perfectly happy with Higuain if we added a classy central midfielder and maybe another creative player to the squad.

All aboard the Bender train, choo choo!

I'd be perfectly happy with Higuain if we added a classy central midfielder and maybe another creative player to the squad.

All aboard the Bender train, choo choo!

I'd like a fast left sided midfielder/winger who plays with his head up.

Actually, fcuk it. Just take our 70 million or whatever and put it a huge offer for Bale ... just to really piss off Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Lads I can feel it in my bones this is going to be the best summer in terms of transfers in a long long time, good things are coming our way just keep the faith :D

Good analogy.

Any idea of who? There's very few traditional wingers left in the game these days well good ones anyway, which is a shame imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

If anyone is around Dublin town Sat night 29th June the Dublin Arsenal Supporters Club are having a charity night in The Mercantile. Signed Arsenal Jersey and few other things on offer.Other supporters clubs from Ireland, England, Scotland & Norway also there as having 5 a side in Finglas early in the day.

All welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

This Bender people are talking about, is it Sven or the other Bender?

This Bender people are talking about, is it Sven or the other Bender?

I'm presuming it's the other one, Lars I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Higuain and Felaini. I know Christmas isn't for ages but I've been REALLY good this year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Great source you've got there

AdamD wrote: »
    Great source you've got there

I just said it was reported, I didn't claim it to be legitimate, so calm your knickers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Reported earlier that he approved it.

Thats why it's pointless reading every little rumor. The majority are made up.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Reported earlier that he approved it.

Thats why it's pointless reading every little rumor. The majority are made up.

That's true there are only a few I pay attention to on twitter and a few websites such as the BBC the like of goal.com aren't even worth bothering with.

Bild in Germany are meant to be fairly reliable aswell.

• Advertisement

This one I would believe as it makes perfect sense as a fourth choice CB and bright prospect.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/8795410/Tin-Jedvaj-has-been-linked-with-Premier-League-sides-Tottenham-Hotspur-and-Arsenal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement