Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Higuain traveling to the Emirates

BN2vN6gCIAEHTGy.jpg

Arsenal song commitee, It actually not bad.

What do we need one of them for sure he went to Barca a year ago? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Any idea of who? There's very few traditional wingers left in the game these days well good ones anyway, which is a shame imo.

I'm thinking a Freddie Ljundberg of the left wing.

Freddie was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

gosplan wrote: »
    I'm thinking a Freddie Ljundberg of the left wing.

Freddie was great.

Yep! And Marc Overmars too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Freddie is only 36. Surely we can convince him to come out of retirement. It's only been a year. Overmars however is 40 and retired a a good while now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Freddie is only 36. Surely we can convince him to come out of retirement. It's only been a year. Overmars however is 40 and retired a a good while now.

May as well go for Pires while we're at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Fcuk it lets go back to 2004 altogether

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

A peak Freddie wouldn't help us much. We've already got Podolski and Theo who do similar things. Need a Pires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

We need to get our **** together and start doing some business, though I do realize that the windows isn't really open that long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

We need to get our **** together and start doing some business, though I do realize that the windows isn't really open that long.

I've a feeling we already are. Just because we aren't tapping up players publicly doesn't mean we aren't engaged in the transfer market.

• Advertisement

Sam Rhodes has just tweeted were set for fresh talks with Fellaini and Everton.

I think what he says hold's some weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Sam Rhodes has just tweeted were set for fresh talks with Fellaini and Everton.

I think what he says hold's some weight

Is he reliable?

A double signing of higuain and Fellaini would be a great sign of intent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Galvasean wrote: »
    I've a feeling we already are. Just because we aren't tapping up players publicly doesn't mean we aren't engaged in the transfer market.

This is what I'm hoping. We are usually fairly good at keeping things under wraps. Except Podolski!

Is he reliable?

A double signing of higuain and Fellaini would be a great sign of intent.

Well he's a freelance football writer, but he used to write for the Telegraph and Financial Times which I'm thinking will give him more credit than a goal.com writer anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

jonny666 wrote: »
    This is what I'm hoping. We are usually fairly good at keeping things under wraps. Except Podolski!

Monreal came out of nowhere in January lest we forget. Ditto for the double signing of Arteta and Yossi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

They also came in the last few hours i've windows, what with all this cash we've supposedly got i'd be hoping we could avoid that crap this time :/,

Also does anyone else think that we could still be in for Julio Ceasar seen as we're letting big Vito go

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They also came in the last few hours i've windows, what with all this cash we've supposedly got i'd be hoping we could avoid that crap this time :/,

Also does anyone else think that we could still be in for Julio Ceasar seen as we're letting big Vito go

Rumours today we have the Cesar deal ready to tie up as soon as the Confederations cup is over.

Hopefully not, there are much better keepers out there.

Hopefully not, there are much better keepers out there.

If its true Im fairly happy with it. I do think Szcz is goina be brilliant but he needs someone like Cesar there to push him on and even help him develop. if Szcz goes through a bad patch we have Cesar. Someone with experience. Or vice versa. If we had gotten Mignelot or Renia or the Stoke keeper I could maybe see Szcz leaving which would be a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Take out that year with Qpr and we'd have loved to have a keeper the calibre of Cesar i think he's a great keeper personally and i'd have him ahead of Schez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

There are obviously better keepers out there than Cesar bit we don't need a keeper ready to start. I need a keeper to push and help our current keepers develop. Szcz is the future and we seen that when Fab push him at the end of last year. Bring in Cesar and its win win.

Take out that year with Qpr and we'd have loved to have a keeper the calibre of Cesar i think he's a great keeper personally and i'd have him ahead of Schez

I agree but i think this guy could bring the best out in Chesney.

Szczesny is far better and I would probably play Fabianski ahead of Cesar also.

Add in the fact that he is on a high wage (reported to be about £90,000 per week!) and left Inter because they asked him to take a pay cut, and he doesn't seem like a great option for me.

Szczesny is far better and I would probably play Fabianski ahead of Cesar also.

Add in the fact that he is on a high wage (reported to be about £90,000 per week!) and left Inter because they asked him to take a pay cut, and he doesn't seem like a great option for me.

Santos is reported to be on £70k a week so £90k is really nothing when you think of the fact that Cesar is the Brazil number 1 goalkeeper.

I think it could be a good deal if we got him round the £1.5 mill mark personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

So apparently Arshavin was "on the brink of depression" when he left http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/217313.html Yes Andrei, you should have played every game even though you didn't deserve to, just so you could feel better about your poor 80 grand a week self. Good riddance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Cesar does not fill me with confidence at all. Fists the ball at chest height instead of catching it. Wouldn't fill a defence with confidence.
    If you're going to buy a keeper then buy better than you already have.

We already have better in my opinion.

Cesar does not fill me with confidence at all. Fists the ball at chest height instead of catching it. Wouldn't fill a defence with confidence.
    If you're going to buy a keeper then buy better than you already have.

We already have better in my opinion.

Funny thing and i may have mentioned this to you before but very few keepers do catch. David Forde is probably the only one around at present. Jens to be fair was brilliant to catch a ball clean from a corner but had a hairy moment or two in other areas.

My father is adamant that Brazil never had a real top keeper as far as he can remember and that at best they were highly competent. No real world class stamp on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

did cesar have attitude problems while at qpr? thought I read that somewhere.

if its true (and I don't know if it is) we don't need players like that IMO

sonic85 wrote: »
    did cesar have attitude problems while at qpr? thought I read that somewhere.

if its true (and I don't know if it is) we don't need players like that IMO

I dunno, if anything he seemed to behave with great respect toward QPR even thanking them for having faith in him when he had been dropped by Inter. Seems to me to be a good pro. He put on the Chelsea shirt whilst on a night out with David Luiz alright but i dont he meant any real harm just a goof around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Funny thing and i may have mentioned this to you before but very few keepers do catch. David Forde is probably the only one around at present. Jens to be fair was brilliant to catch a ball clean from a corner but had a hairy moment or two in other areas.

My father is adamant that Brazil never had a real top keeper as far as he can remember and that at best they were highly competent. No real world class stamp on them

I'd agree with your father.
    Saw the Spanish and Italian keepers punching like mad the other night too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

I dunno, if anything he seemed to behave with great respect toward QPR even thanking them for having faith in him when he had been dropped by Inter. Seems to me to be a good pro. He put on the Chelsea shirt whilst on a night out with David Luiz alright but i dont he meant any real harm just a goof around

ah right maybe that was it. our squad as a whole seems to be in fairly good shape mentally - nearly everyone seems to be on the same page and were actively looking to get rid of unproductive players. would be a shame to spoil it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

So apparently Arshavin was "on the brink of depression" when he left http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/217313.html Yes Andrei, you should have played every game even though you didn't deserve to, just so you could feel better about your poor 80 grand a week self. Good riddance.

Funny enough, he wasn't depressed enough to take a pay cut in order to move elsewhere to to get first team football. F**k him, the likes of himself and Almunia and a few others have refused to leave as they put money ahead of playing regularly. A player who refuses to take a pay cut in order to play regularly has no right to complain about not being picked. He doesn't give a damn about playing football, he's just in it for the money.

A terrible signing overall. £15mtransfer fee, about £23m pissed away on paying his wages, all for about 10 good performances over 4 and a half years. Good riddance is right.

Santos is reported to be on £70k a week so £90k is really nothing when you think of the fact that Cesar is the Brazil number 1 goalkeeper.

I think it could be a good deal if we got him round the £1.5 mill mark personally.

Wasnt Santos also an international when we signed him (and overpaid him)? Doesnt mean anything.

£90,000 would make him second in terms of earners right now. Podolski is top, think Arshavin was second and that was about £80,000. The reason Cesar left Inter is because they wanted him to take a pay-cut, so we'll be looking at paying roughly what he is on now, if not more. A big complaint has been overpaying for poor players. £90,000 is far too much, especially for someone who most have as backup. I wouldnt take him for half that wage. Their are better, younger and cheaper alternatives.

Wasnt Santos also an international when we signed him (and overpaid him)? Doesnt mean anything.

£90,000 would make him second in terms of earners right now. Podolski is top, think Arshavin was second and that was about £80,000. The reason Cesar left Inter is because they wanted him to take a pay-cut, so we'll be looking at paying roughly what he is on now, if not more. A big complaint has been overpaying for poor players. £90,000 is far too much, especially for someone who most have as backup. I wouldnt take him for half that wage. Their are better, younger and cheaper alternatives.

I have a feeling QPR will be picking up
    some of his wages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I dont post much in here so go easy.

i think cesar would be a great signing for us. I still think Schexney* is a little naive. he's on a par with fabianski. A seasoned international in control of a very good back four would be great.

Our midfield is great. With goals coming from everywhere. I think we're a lot stronger physically than the season before last. It would be great to get fellaini just to add a bit of height and more physicality to the team. A vieira type of player.

Up front - we have problems. But we're not too bad. We are in the unfortunate position of comparing every striker we get with Wright/Bergkamp/Henry. We've had some fabulous strikers and some really good ones (Kanu/Ade/Wiltord) but we've also bought some amount of ****e. I still get abuse over franny jeffers - FFS let it go. I like Giroud. Not since Denis have we had someone who can hold the ball up or get a nice flick on to a midfield runner. pair him up with a proven goalscorer like Higuain or even Rooney - and boom we're top scorers.

• Advertisement

Fair enough but Santos was reportedly on more than Sagna and he wasnt really far off Pod either when you think about it and besides Cesar has loads of caps whereas Santos surely cant have more than 10

Fair enough but Santos was reportedly on more than Sagna and he wasnt really far off Pod either when you think about it and besides Cesar has loads of caps whereas Santos surely cant have more than 10

Proof that International caps mean nothing. Jeffers has more than Arteta.

Whilst i do agree to some extent with your argument, surely a goalkeeper getting considerable of caps is an indication of class? He had some decent competitors also in Heurelho Gomes for that slot. Santos was more or less tried out for the sake of it while Cesar beat off the others to establish himself as number 1. Granted Brazil haven't the same tradition as Italy or Germany when it comes to goalies but it means something for sure especially when we refer to the big nations with considerable pick?

TBF i was going over in my head what is wrong with English football today and i hit upon the fact the likes of David Batty and Gareth Barry have endless caps whilst the likes of Stanley Bowles, Rodney Marsh or Matt le tissier have barely 5 between them if at all so they can be measurable to a certain extent.

Gomes was woeful for years. Surprised spurs stuck with him for so long.

25 caps isnt tried out. 3 or 4 is tried out. 25 means he was considered the best in that position for quite a while. Not sure how many games Brazil play a year but Ireland is always around the 10 mark. If Brazil is similar, thats roughly two years assuming he didnt miss any games.

I'd be very reluctant to use International caps as a measure of quality. Arshavin for example. He is, or was anyway, the captain of a second tier International side. I wouldnt be in a rush to re-sign him.

• Advertisement

Gomes was woeful for years. Surprised spurs stuck with him for so long.

25 caps isnt tried out. 3 or 4 is tried out. 25 means he was considered the best in that position for quite a while. Not sure how many games Brazil play a year but Ireland is always around the 10 mark. If Brazil is similar, thats roughly two years assuming he didnt miss any games.

I'd be very reluctant to use International caps as a measure of quality. Arshavin for example. He is, or was anyway, the captain of a second tier International side. I wouldnt be in a rush to re-sign him.

I wouldnt altogether say woeful but definately prone to errors. I can remember him making numerous saves in an NLD one night.

Anyway's, i think that considering Cesar won 3 Scudetto's and a champions league previously that he would be a decent signing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The players most linked with signing for Arsenal this window have been:

Higuain or Rooney, Fellaini & Cesar

if all 3 of those signed (Higuain seemingly more likely than Rooney) i'd say Arsenal fans should be very happy with transfers. Especially if one or two young/squad players also signed

Links to Sagna leaving have died down, Vermaelen seems to want to stay and fight for his place during a world cup year and Arsenal dont seem to play with an out and out DM in recent times (Arteta, Ramsey, Diaby etc have filled this role) so perhaps straight defensive signings could be overlooked if sufficent quality is brought in to improve other areas.

If you see Szczesny as no.1 but would like a keeper signed with Mannone & Fabianski looking to leave I doubt youd expect a better player than Cesar to sit on the bench. He would be be the best 2nd choice keeper in the league and push Szez on to be even better while giving you someone you could be confident of if your no.1 gets injured and when you consider his low transfer fee plus the players offloaded by Arsenal before the extra money available his wages already wouldnt be a concern even if QPR dont pick up some of them.

Fellaini can and wants to play the DM role but has great attacking qualities which should be a plus for him not a negative against his ability to play DM especially when Arsenal dont usually play a Makelele type DM. He would add real strenght to Arsenal's core and offer height in both attack and defense. Him and Mert at corners would be difficult and help with Arsenal having many smaller players like Walcott & Cazorla. His positional flexability and attacking ability would also allow for rotation within the squad without a loss in quality (give players like Wilshere the occasional and needed break), plus it would also be ideal against weaker teams when a outright DM might not be needed as much as they park the bus.

Higuain meanwhile is probably on the tier just below the very best in the world and with a team playing to his strenghts could be great for virtually any side.

I'd put him on the same level as Lewandowski who Bayern want and Utd, Chelsea and others are linked to if Bayern fail and tbh I only have him on Higuain's level in part due to his hype as ive seen Higuain and been impressed by him on more occasions. I'd honestly say that Higuain is probably the best signing of his type Arsenal could make especially if you consider he isnt too old. Rooney is good but older and a different type of player plus a potentially decisive figure while all the top CFs id possibly rate above Higuain are either unavailable, on super inflated oil rich / tax free money, at or linked to clubs who are as big or bigger than Arsenal stature wise and offer as much money plus being recent league or european cup winners. Players like Cavani, Ibrahimovich, Falcao, RVP, Benzema (still not convinced he is better than Higuain) etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Can we finally put these higuan rumours to bed?

We will sign sanogo and grenier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Can we finally put these higuan rumours to bed?

Why:confused:

The transfer window doesn't close for another 2 months

Strong reports we bid for Rooney, if true we could end up missing out on higuan and not getting Rooney, sounds familiar.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/30/arsenal-julio-cesar-qpr

Says we want Cesar and Ancelotti has sanctioned the sale of Higuain to us.

Strong reports we bid for Rooney, if true we could end up missing out on higuan and not getting Rooney, sounds familiar.

Source???

Seems arseblog shares my skepticism as regards what we read in the papers.

http://news.arseblog.com/2013/04/exclusive-arsenal-miss-out-on-player-name/

(this isn't towards you jack, just ref the Rooney story being given cred the other day cause the daily mail printed it or something)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/30/arsenal-julio-cesar-qpr

Says we want Cesar and Ancelotti has sanctioned the sale of Higuain to us.

Hmmm, worried that the Madrid board plus Jose and now Ancellotti all see Higuain as dispensable.

Though over the last few years they've sold Robben and RVDV easily enough.

gosplan wrote: »
    Source???

Seems arseblog shares my skepticism as regards what we read in the papers.

http://news.arseblog.com/2013/04/exclusive-arsenal-miss-out-on-player-name/

(this isn't towards you jack, just ref the Rooney story being given cred the other day cause the daily mail printed it or something)

FOX SPORTS News @FOXSportsNews 1h Reports #Arsenal have made a $33.2million offer for Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney #MUFC #EPL #football Retweeted by FOX SPORTS Football

Probably bull, but don't know why fox would make it up, sure everyone just watches basketball and American football over there.

I would still prefer higuan.

Madrid change players for the sake of it. Having said that, there's a reason they're willing to part with Higuain and not Benzema.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement