Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

jonny666 wrote: »
    What ever the fee thats two 50k+ earners gone from the wage bill.

As a matter of interest. I wonder what Yaya Sanogo is getting paid. Hopefully they have stopped with the mental wages for young fellas

ten bob a week i'd say

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I reckon he'll get be getting a fringe squad member wage.

Whatever that means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Whatever that means.

40k per week :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

jonny666 wrote: »
    40k per week :pac:

That was the old system! It's £90,000 per week now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

How typically textbook of Arsenal that despite all the Higuains and Rooneys out there first signing is a young French prospect. Nice to see tradition is still alive down the Marble Halls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

keano_afc wrote: »
    How typically textbook of Arsenal that despite all the Higuains and Rooneys out there first signing is a young French prospect. Nice to see tradition is still alive down the Marble Halls.

At a guess, I would imagine that it is easier to sign a player, especially a youngster, from any 2nd division league in the world to play in a Champions League club, than it is to sign an established player from one Champions League club to another.

Aside from that, both Higuain and Rooney are coming from clubs who have only recently been taken over by new management. Although they may have not featured in the previous managers plans, that is not to say they won't feature in the new managers plans.

Even if they don't, I'm sure the new manager has a lot of things on his plate during his first week and especially doesn't care about players who are leaving or facilitating rival clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Jerry Flannery is taking up a work placement at the club as a strength and conditioning coach.

Rooney will definitely sign now once he hears there's an ageing irish hooker at the club

did anybody see my coat? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Mentioned in the Chelsea thread, Dortmund seem to be in for Aubameyang, potentially freeing up a move for Lewandowski who has 1 year left on his contract.

Go on Arsene!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Rooney, Torres, Higuain, Ledanawski, Felaini, Bender... so nice to be linked with household names for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yet the only concrete one we have is Sanogo....who...I'm abit more optimistic than previous years though

Yet the only concrete one we have is Sanogo....who...I'm abit more optimistic than previous years though

As fanra boy said above, the bigger ones might take more time. Hopefully a big big transfer goes through soon and it starts the ball rolling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Happy to snap up a promising player like Sanogo on a freebie. It's always good to get ht prospects in, so long as they aren't instead f proven quality players like we have done in the past.
    I think we're past doing that now. The likes of Cazorla, Podolski, Mertesacker etc. shows that we're willing to plump up for experienced footballers these days.
    That said, didn't Ox and Walcott cost about the same as Cazorla and Podolski? Buy foreign imports I say!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Galvasean wrote: »
    Happy to snap up a promising player like Sanogo on a freebie. It's always good to get ht prospects in, so long as they aren't instead f proven quality players like we have done in the past.
    I think we're past doing that now. The likes of Cazorla, Podolski, Mertesacker etc. shows that we're willing to plump up for experienced footballers these days.
    That said, didn't Ox and Walcott cost about the same as Cazorla and Podolski? Buy foreign imports I say!!

Carzola came from Malaga - they were in financial trouble.

Poldoski came from 1. FC Klon - they were relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Carzola came from Malaga - they were in financial trouble.

Poldoski came from 1. FC Klon - they were relegated.

That doesn't stop English players going for a lot dearer ;), think Stewart Downing, think Ashley Young at United the list is endless of English players who go for way over there value compared to what you will get in Europe value wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

arsenalaction: Gonzalo Higuain will be announced as an Arsenal player within the next 24hrs. It's apparently done and all agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

arsenalaction: Gonzalo Higuain will be announced as an Arsenal player within the next 24hrs. It's apparently done and all agreed

That twitter page you're referring to looks a bit shit in all honesty. No reputable sources running with it so doubt there's any merit.

That twitter page you're referring to looks a bit shit in all honesty. No reputable sources running with it so doubt there's any merit.

Throw me a friggin bone here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Pity we didn't go for the right Yaya a few years ago when we had the chance.
    How many titles would we have won with him in midfield?

• Advertisement

Pity we didn't go for the right Yaya a few years ago when we had the chance.
    How many titles would we have won with him in midfield?

We should have at least had another look but apparently he played up front v Barnet and was stink in pre season back in 2004 (a game i think we won 10-1). Work permit problems then held up any potential deal so he became impatient and went to Metalurg in Eastern Europe.

But the time to get him then was before the 06 World cup where he went on to sign for Olympiakos. He had a decent world cup for Ivory Coast in 2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

He seems to be doing well in that tournament. Whats that, about 4 goals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Think it is 3 goals in 4 games. He does look promising as long as he stays clear of any injuries.

Im getting excited about this kid to be honest. I predict that he is another Wenger pearl of a signing plucked from relative obscurity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Im a Spurs fan myself & that is hillarious:D:D
    Who knew the bitter trolls from Talksports could make such a funny clip:cool:

I may steal it fr the spurs forum here its a classic

AdamD wrote: »
    Interesting interview with Wilshere, he even talks about the Higuain and Rooney rumours. http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/kickingandscreaming/id/494?cc=5739

Thought people would be particularly interested in this question:

'One of the many strengths of that team was the exquisite midfield balance that Arsene Wenger orchestrated even if it meant leaving out Robert Pires or Freddie Ljungberg. Do you see that as an issue with you and Santi Cazorla? '

'Remember, last season was Santi's first in the Premier League and he adapted brilliantly. He was probably our best player last year, but he and I are still learning each other's games. I think we work best when I'm sitting deeper and he's playing ahead of me like Cesc did during our first season together. But Cesc is a different type of player from Santi. Cesc would pick up the ball deep while Santi likes to play in tight spaces. But Santi and I are developing a good rapport and I think it'll get even better this season.'

I'd be inclined to agree with him and think hes definitely been better at CM than CAM, his shooting needs a lot of work before I'd shove Cazorla out wide to accomodate Wilshere higher up, hes a very very good CM IMO.

Jack Wilshere quote when after being shown a picture of Higuain's former girlfriend Soledad Fandino,
    : 'That's the sort of picture that will go right up on the bulletin board in the changing room.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2353416/Jack-Wilshere-plans-picture-Gonzalo-Higuains-ex-girlfriend-Soledad-Fandino-Emirates-notice-board.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

arteta's is definitely up there :D

lorena-bernal-mikel-arteta.jpg

lorena-bernal-6.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

davycc wrote: »
    Im a Spurs fan myself & that is hillarious:D:D
    Who knew the bitter trolls from Talksports could make such a funny clip:cool:

I may steal it fr the spurs forum here its a classic

Ah tis yourself, welcome back! You were very "loud" in here after the 2-1 win back in March, you've been deathly silent since we reeled you back in (again).
    davycc wrote: »
    PS MIND THE GAP:P

Thanks for the advice, I think we did a good job at taking care of the gap!

Between that and many of your other attempts to rub it in our faces and wind us up after that defeat I only have the following to add;

P.S. Say hello to HerePrecious2 please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

If Spurs sign both Paulinho and Villa (remember when we wanted him?) and keep Bale, I really don't think we should be laughing when we've only bought the biggest parody of Arsenal imaginable (unproven, injury-prone, French, free transfer).

Take it with a pinch of salt but Goal.com reporting an exclusive that Arsenal cannot agree a fee for Higuain and are now looking for cheaper alternatives. If true, this is going to be another wasteful, penny-pinching summer.

Ye the story is gathering pace that Madrid want 3 million more than we will pay, makes sense seems its dragging out so long.

Who knows what's going on but why can't we just tie this up and move onto the next target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Ye the story is gathering pace that Madrid want 3 million more than we will pay, makes sense seems its dragging out so long.

Who knows what's going on but why can't we just tie this up and move onto the next target.

Because Wenger.

Let's hope its announced today so he can join the team on pre season tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If you're even reading Goal.com you're doing it wrong.

• Advertisement

I think literally the worst thing that could happen this summer is to hear we missed out on our main targets because of haggling over a million or two. Being out bid I can take but the fcuking penny pinching drives me nuts.

Spend some money!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Our players should be built like tanks next season !!!
    Concrete O'Connor has joined Flannery as an intern on the strength and conditioning team at Arsenal.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/oconnor-joins-rising-irish-gunners-brigade-29390863.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

If Spurs sign both Paulinho and Villa (remember when we wanted him?) and keep Bale, I really don't think we should be laughing when we've only bought the biggest parody of Arsenal imaginable (unproven, injury-prone, French, free transfer).

Take it with a pinch of salt but Goal.com reporting an exclusive that Arsenal cannot agree a fee for Higuain and are now looking for cheaper alternatives. If true, this is going to be another wasteful, penny-pinching summer.

Seriously every year is going to be the year. I still dont think the above will give them the mental edge to finish ahead of us.

People need to relax we have not missed out on any of our targets yet, its been a quite two weeks with key personell on breaks at buying and selling clubs. Media will through out any aul s**t in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Arsene's back now after his sojourn in Brazil so things should start to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Spurs really are pushing hard to get a CL place next year it seems, they know if they fail they’ll most likely lost Bale. Fair play to them in a way, its showing ambition at least.
    Paulinho looks like a good buy, but speaking to a mate of mine who’s a barca season ticket holder he reckons we’ve dodged a bullet in not signing Villa as he’s not been even close to the same player since dec 11 when he broke his leg, he’s behind Torres and Soldado in the spain line up and Barca are happy enough to let him go. He used to be great though, he’ll still command a big wage, which would leave spurs looking at 100k a week for Adebayor and 125k + for a past it Villa. Including a rumoured pay rise for Bale at 175k a week and Spurs really are gambling on the CL, big time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭DenMan

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Spurs really are pushing hard to get a CL place next year it seems, they know if they fail they’ll most likely lost Bale. Fair play to them in a way, its showing ambition at least.
    Paulinho looks like a good buy, but speaking to a mate of mine who’s a barca season ticket holder he reckons we’ve dodged a bullet in not signing Villa as he’s not been even close to the same player since dec 11 when he broke his leg, he’s behind Torres and Soldado in the spain line up and Barca are happy enough to let him go. He used to be great though, he’ll still command a big wage, which would leave spurs looking at 100k a week for Adebayor and 125k + for a past it Villa. Including a rumoured pay rise for Bale at 175k a week and Spurs really are gambling on the CL, big time.

Mourinho and Chelsea will win it and Spurs will finish fifth. That's how I see them qualifying for the Champions League. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Is Bendtner turning into the Julian Assange of the football world?Massive ego and no one will take him. Sae somewhere this morning that the Frankfurt deal is now off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

pandaboy wrote: »
    Is Bendtner turning into the Julian Assange of the football world?Massive ego and no one will take him. Sae somewhere this morning that the Frankfurt deal is now off!

He will probably want to move to make sure he has a starting place if Denmark make the World Cup. Otherwise I'm sure he would gladly sit and take the money until his contract expires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

People shouldn't expect to tune in and be placated by signings. It'll happen when it happens.

I get that we've had miserable summers in terms of transfers but signings are made for the team and the club's sake, not for the fans sake - and overpaying on the 3rd of July to keep fans happy would be wrong.

That's the route that Barca and Madrid have gone down and it leads to things like Eto plus 40 odd million for the unrequired Ibramovich when you should be spending money on defenders or Madrid letting Higuain go for a relatively small amount so they can afford a marquee signing(who probably won't match Higuain's scoring record) because Barca got Neymar.

At least wait until the season kicks in before getting annoyed.

gosplan wrote: »
    People shouldn't expect to tune in and be placated by signings. It'll happen when it happens.

I get that we've had miserable summers in terms of transfers but signings are made for the team and the club's sake, not for the fans sake - and overpaying on the 3rd of July to keep fans happy would be wrong.

That's the route that Barca and Madrid have gone down and it leads to things like Eto plus 40 odd million for the unrequired Ibramovich when you should be spending money on defenders or Madrid letting Higuain go for a relatively small amount so they can afford a marquee signing(who probably won't match Higuain's scoring record) because Barca got Neymar.

At least wait until the season kicks in before getting annoyed.

We just don't want to be left with players the big clubs don't fancy, which happend to us the summer cesc left, panic buys like santos arteta etc,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

We just don't want to be left with players the big clubs don't fancy, which happend to us the summer cesc left, panic buys like santos arteta etc,

That's true.

But it's when people like Higuain and Bender sign for other clubs, I'd start getting worried.

I think you'd have to be suffering some kind of disconnect from supporting Arsenal if you're not even slightly worried at this stage.

Yes, it's early - 6 weeks to go until the start of the season - but we have a pretty damn awful track record in this regard. Wenger and the club have often shown in the past that they are happy to prioritise fairly modest savings over results. We’ve been let enough times in the past to know that there’s no guarantee the club /will/ get the business done.

Also, I don't think people are expecting to be placated by the club making signings it doesn't need - they're expecting to be placated by the club filling gaps with signings that it clearly desperately does need.

Anyway, arseblog reporting that Mannone has completed his move to Sunderland. Hopefully getting all these sales out of the way will lead to some movement on the purchasing front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Not sure what we can do to get rid of Bendtner? Its getting to the stage where we need a row boat, cloth sack, some rope and a heavy boulder ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement