Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I'd be very surprised if Wenger allows for only a 3 year deal.

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Ya personally i think it will be a 4 year deal but of course the duration will be 'undisclosed' by the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

maximoose wrote: »
    I'm not regularly one to correct people, but dear god this stupid american bastardising of this simple phrase bugs the hell out of me, it doesn't make sense!

I cant believe it's only the start of July. Feels like this Higuain talk has been dragging on for months now.

Pal twas just a typo........

But ya its dragging on something fierce.

AdamD wrote: »
    Can guarantee that its just the bookies trying to get ****loads of free publicity and increasing awareness about the transfer betting market.

My first thought exactly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I think the club are doing a great job at the minute. They have been weeding out the unwanted players and seem to be linked with quality players that can bring the overall squad into the league winning bracket.

Just need to see what develops over the next few weeks as transfer talks with us seems to be like the process of passing a kidney stone. Slow and painful - but relief once it is over with.

Just watch the promo video for the new jersey. From the color it seems to be harking back to the 90's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Walcott's new deal was 3.5 years, which was for more money on the shorter deal + 3mil signing fee/bonus

higuain's if true is probably about the same reason - money

money from the players/agents side, not the club

Just watch the promo video for the new jersey. From the color it seems to be harking back to the 90's.

this is it apparently, i like it

Arsenal-Away-201314.jpg

arsenal_away_kit_2013_2014_by_lagvilava-d5uxdj4.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Three years would be fairly common. A lot of players dont want to sign a super long contract in case things dont work out. If everything works out, he'll sign a longer contract afterwards.

A 5 year contract for someone who has never played in the league before is a risk for both player and club. Three years makes a lot more sense.

As for Suarez, it's only slightly more likely than Torres which isnt very likely at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Lots of reports all over twitter including Graham Hunter saying it looks like the Higuain deal is done at 27m euros.

Jeremy Wilson from the Telegraph reporting "Higuain deal agreed in principle for a few weeks...barring any late hitch, Wenger about to break his transfer record"

This seems to have followed media report in Spain and Argentina quoting his dad saying they have permission to speak to Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Coquelin's off to Freiburg too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Coquelin's off to Freiburg too.

Only a loan deal, plus we are paying his full salary for the first year. Good deal for Freiburg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I rate Coq highly I still feel he has alot to offer the club but regular first team football will do him the world of good so its a great deal for both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Maybe im reading to much into it but with Le Coq leaving it surely means we are going to buy a DM as it would have pushed him further down the pecking order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I rate Coq highly I still feel he has alot to offer the club but regular first team football will do him the world of good so its a great deal for both sides.

These loan deals for players that have been in and around the first team usually spell the beginning of the end for the player.

wawaman wrote: »
    Maybe im reading to much into it but with Le Coq leaving it surely means we are going to buy a DM as it would have pushed him further down the pecking order
    Hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

What sort of wage would Suarez be on ?

wawaman wrote: »

a midfielder anyway, whatever about a proper DM

he barely got a look in last season too, even with the injuries to diaby & wilshere but was probably kept around in case of any more
    These loan deals for players that have been in and around the first team usually spell the beginning of the end for the player.

yeah, usually

it's last chance saloon for him at the club. if he goes there and does well he might have a chance of staying, with arteta ageing, otherwise he'll be gone

Andip wrote: »

100,000 we're-not-after-hims a week.

• Advertisement

Andip wrote: »

~120k+ i'd think he'd be looking for when he moves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

100,000 we're-not-after-hims a week.

:D:D

Those Higuain goal compilations on youtube are insane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjCDyoGSVTQ#at=106

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Those Higuain goal compilations on youtube are insane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjCDyoGSVTQ#at=106

Looks decent with both feet too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    Will be an interesting summer thats for sure,whats the latest on ye and Higuain?
    He's been spotted riding a giant snail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Just to wade in here with a few observations and aspirations for the new season.
    Firstly, frustrating as it is it's a fact that Arsenal football Club conduct their business in an old fashioned way based upon an ethos of respect for other clubs, players and their representatives. Rarely do we hear any official outbursts from an Arsenal Manager or Board member. We're not like Chelsea or Man City - we're not like Man Utd when SAF would voice an "opinion" that a certain player looks like a Utd player. We do our business discreetly and let the hacks in the tabloid rags earn their crust by speculating and writing bulls**t in their respective comics. It's very frustrating if you're an Arsenal supporter - but that's what it is.

So - as for who we'll buy and who we won't, here's my opinions.

Ceasar to replace Mannone and keep Szcz on his toes.
    Centre back to replace Djourou - maybe the young guy from Partizan Belgrade or another "unknown" French guy. Don't think we'll spend big because we have our three centre backs - hence young with potential or unknown.
    Midfielder to replace an ageing Arteta and cover for Ramsey - I'll be surprised but delighted if we get Fellani - we have a good midfield balance with Jack, Santi, Rambo and Rosicky - Ox will probably be used in this role too. Clement Grenier will probably arrive but maybe not this year unless the price is right. I think we'll go for a utility holding midfielder allowing more forward roles for Jack et al - so maybe Wanyama or Gonalons or even Etienne Capoue.
    Up front Higuan looks nailed on and Sanago is already signed.

That's it - I can't see us signing Rooney as it would be a complete reversal of everything that Arsene believes in. Like many here I didn't think it would be a good move as I believe he is a disruptive player ... but ... on his day Rooney can be as influential as Ronaldo or Messi (not as good though) and I think he would relish playing with Jack, Theo and Ox - in effect the possible front 4 diamond formation for England and I could see the logic in signing him and giving him a Bergkamp role. The problem is of course that this negates what we would have with Higuan/Giroud - how to fit all the pieces together. I think we could play Giroud and Higuan together, in a similar way to Raul & Morientes - I think this may be Arsene's strategy. Theo and the Ox would also fit this shape with Jack and Santi providing supply and Rambo/Wanyama/Capoue/Arteta taking the ball from defence.

So:
    Julio Ceasar
    Tin Jedvaj or Cheikhou Kouyate
    Etienne Capoue
    Higuan
    Sanago

Not £70m worth but still good players. I cannot see us buying two players at £25m + ... maybe I'm wrong. We'll not spend big money on a centre back when we have Merts, Kos and TV5 (if/when TV5 regains form he is a quality centre back). Jack, Ramsey and Ox are a big part of Arsene's plans (not sure where Lars Bender would fit in ?) - maybe Fellani would but I can't see this happening - hope I'm wrong. I think we'll buy a midfield player in the region of £10 - £15m. Higuan for £25m. Of course I'm assuming we don't lose a "star" name or peripheral players like Rosicky or Gervinho.

I think we have a good chance this year - Utd, Chelsea and City with new managers may help us - can't see Mourinho being as successful as before, Pellegrini is good but not much experience of big time with lots of cash and Moyes has a Utd squad with ageing players in key positions. Time will tell.

He's been spotted riding a giant snail.

Kayne wont be happy about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Song went out on loan when he was at roughly the same stage. He didnt fare too badly upon his return. Since then it has mostly been Youth players to go out on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Sid Lowe ‏@sidlowe 39m
    So, Higuaín to Arsenal draws nearer
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

The one guy I'd definitely pay attention to

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Sid Lowe ‏@sidlowe 39m

Well even snails get there eventually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Sid Lowe ‏@sidlowe 39m

Draws nearer? Please say by Friday, please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Can't believe Higuain is only 25.

Feels like he's been around forever.

Will be an excellent signing for ye.

Hard to know how ye will do next season. Wouldn't be surprised to see ye overtake the Manchesters.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    this is it apparently, i like it

Im afraid that picture of Walcott is a very very poor photoshop fail. Look at Jenkinson again in that video. His collar looks Royal and yellow. Notice also that Gibbs has a Royal tracktop on with yellow trimming.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/bellerin-signs-new-long-term-contract

Hector signs a long-term-contract. Im guessing 4 years

djPSB wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised to see ye overtake the Manchesters.

I'd take that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

djPSB wrote: »
    Can't believe Higuain is only 25.

Feels like he's been around forever.

Will be an excellent signing for ye.

Hard to know how ye will do next season. Wouldn't be surprised to see ye overtake the Manchesters.

I thought the same thing when we signed Cazorla.

Oh how I'd love for Arsenal.com to update and say "Muller signs for Arsenal". Quite the versatile forward and winger, if Gervinho were to go, which looks likely, I think he'd make a great acquisition.

Also, if Gervinho goes, how many wingers are we left with? Walcott, Ox, Rosicky, Cazorla? I'd include Ramsey but I'think he'll be covering centre of the park next season. Like looking at it, if Walcott gets injured and we're reliant on Rosicky, then the wing is also another position we could look at. Alternative is bringing Gnabry up or signing a replacement, if Gervinho were to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

pandaboy wrote: »
    I thought the same thing when we signed Cazorla.

Oh how I'd love for Arsenal.com to update and say "Muller signs for Arsenal". Quite the versatile forward and winger, if Gervinho were to go, which looks likely, I think he'd make a great acquisition.

Also, if Gervinho goes, how many wingers are we left with? Walcott, Ox, Rosicky, Cazorla? I'd include Ramsey but I'think he'll be covering centre of the park next season. Like looking at it, if Walcott gets injured and we're reliant on Rosicky, then the wing is also another position we could look at. Alternative is bringing Gnabry up or signing a replacement, if Gervinho were to go.

We may end up with a winger but i reckon Gnabry will be used more this year. Test the water somewhat with him as he looks to be quite the prospect.

dvemail wrote: »
    We may end up with a winger but i reckon Gnabry will be used more this year. Test the water somewhat with him as he looks to be quite the prospect.

I haven't seen much of him to make an assessment, just some pre-season footage from last year. I'm sorry to see that Miyaichi hasn't hit the ground running just yet. I'd love to see him in the fol as a winger or CAM. It'll be great to see him in the Eredivisie this year if Feyenoord grab him again. However I think the Bundesliga would be the perfect opportunity for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Thought it was just a rehash of old news myself.

• Advertisement

Thought it was just a rehash of old news myself.

All the old news consists of people saying he was going to sign for Arsenal.

Some of these people haven't a clue what it is they are talking about.

Ill give an article from Lowe and The Guardian high credibility, and as such it counts as new news, as opposed to some fella on twitter saying something yesterday.

Is anyone here a member of the Dublin Arsenal supporters club?

Im thinking of joining for new season.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2355971/Nicolas-Anelka-undergoing-medical-West-Brom-sixth-Premier-League-club.html

Ex Arsenal Kid Anelka heading to WBA,

Article also says the Kalou wants a move back to the Prem. Wasnt Arsene interested a year or two ago? :/

meriwether wrote: »

The difference between decent sports journo's and the crap we usually read from websites is unreal

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2355971/Nicolas-Anelka-undergoing-medical-West-Brom-sixth-Premier-League-club.html

Ex Arsenal Kid Anelka heading to WBA,

Article also says the Kalou wants a move back to the Prem. Wasnt Arsene interested a year or two ago? :/

Gerv for Kalou?

pandaboy wrote: »
    Gerv for Kalou?

Tough call as both players are pretty ****e infairness. Can we just get rid of Gerv and invest his wages in some prize bonds or something? ;)

Id stick with Gervinho for one more season. Important to have a large squad to topple the Mancs :D

http://gossip.ladyarse.com/arsenal/2013/07/04/higuain-spotted-at-airport-photo/

HIGUAIN SPOTTED AT THE *AIRPORT!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Tough call as both players are pretty ****e infairness. Can we just get rid of Gerv and invest his wages in some prize bonds or something? ;)

Id stick with Gervinho for one more season. Important to have a large squad to topple the Mancs :D

http://gossip.ladyarse.com/arsenal/2013/07/04/higuain-spotted-at-airport-photo/

HIGUAIN SPOTTED AT THE *AIRPORT!!!

The article says its Mardrid Airport, he could be going/coming from anywhere. Wasn't he in Florida for the past few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I reckon Gerv could be decent at a smaller club where he was the star. At arsenal though when he messes up or misses a sitter vs bradford we get on his case because just don't have any more patience for that sh1t. Quite right too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Pics floating around me hig at Madrid airport, lets get this done, once the big clubs realise cavani is off to psg and Rooney ain't leaving they will be after hig and if they offer more to Madrid, we can't do much so do it now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Pics floating around me hig at Madrid airport, lets get this done, once the big clubs realise cavani is off to psg and Rooney ain't leaving they will be after hig and if they offer more to Madrid, we can't do much so do it now!
    It was the arrivals lounge in Madrid ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement