Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Quazzie wrote: »
    He is missing for a quarter of next season. If we bought him and he played for three years with us, then thats a twelvth of his Arsenal career spent suspended, and that doesn't include any future bans/suspensions etc. He might be worth more, but whilst he's suspended it does affect his price.

what??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

He is missing for a quarter of next season. If we bought him and he played for three years with us, then thats a twelvth of his Arsenal career spent suspended, and that doesn't include any future bans/suspensions etc. He might be worth more, but whilst he's suspended it does affect his price.

Meh, we've a handy start.

I feel for a lot of Arsrnal fans.

We put in a bid if 30 million for an excellent striker and people immediately see it as a huge negative - same old Arsenal etc.

I get you've been conditioned to think this way but if the club genuinely wanted Suarez, how do you feel they should go about it?

I'm guessing 40 million would be plenty for him so what's wrong with Arsensl's opening offer?

gosplan wrote: »
    Meh, we've a handy start.

I feel for a lot of Arsrnal fans.

We put in a bid if 30 million for an excellent striker and people immediately see it as a huge negative - same old Arsenal etc.

I get you've been conditioned to think this way but if the club genuinely wanted Suarez, how do you feel they should go about it?

I'm guessing 40 million would be plenty for him so what's wrong with Arsensl's opening offer?

just imagine replacing Giroud with Suarez.

now tell me he aint worth £30mil

Leiva wrote: »

No, he is, and more, which is what I was getting at.

It's a good first offer though.

Arsenal fans have had too much though. We need a 50 million first offer and a deal done by 11 this morning to feel positive about anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If Van Persie was worth 22.5 million last season then Suarez is no way worth 30 million. He would not be an improvement on Van Persie and he would only cause issues in and out of the dressing room. He has created himself a bad image and any suspension he gets will be above the normal compared to most other players. No team needs that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

van Persie is much older and had a year left on his contract.

Suarez is worth more than £30m but it was hardly a derisory offer as some have suggested. Whoever signs him will be signing an awful lot of baggage.

I'm sure Arsenal have genuine interest in him as he's a quality player but I definitely think there's an element of pantomime for Real's benefit here. If they're going to dick us about, no harm showing them that there are other targets - particularly one that they're interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

what??
    He has a ten match ban or have you forgotten that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

That bid is to make Madrid blink first I reckon

So let me get this straight....

for around 5yrs now there has been buckets of piss and moan* about how Arsenal have been performing in the transfer market, how the purse strings have been well a truly kept tight, and how you keep haemorrhaging your true talent to the likes of Barca etc.
    *all points well and truly debating in that horrid Wenger thread.

You then finally go and show some real balls and look to be trying to elevate the team/squad into one that would at least guarantee a season with silverwear, and who knows with the type of players linked and bid for probably the biggest cup of them all - and all that is being sounded out is that "Suarez aint worth it" etc etc.

Jeez lads with your current squad and the the addition of Suarez to it I would be screaming to up the bid that was first rejected!

Who knows the club could be looking to add both Hig and Suarez, and don't fool yourselves (if the bid is true) Wenger would have added up the pro's and cons of Suarez.

Im a Liverpool supporter and trust me there would be many a supporter of all PL clubs would be fearful of an Arsenal that had just added the two names mentioned above, a fear that imo has been missing now for a couple of seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

It's also on the BBC so don't see how anyone can suggest that a bid hasn't been made. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23222924

Well, at least we know something is happening at least for sure. Let's hope they know what they're doing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

He has a ten match ban or have you forgotten that?

Hasnt he already served four of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I've no doubt that Wenger could deal with Suarez, and reign him in, RVP and Henry both came to the club with reputations, and they didn't work out too bad.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Hasnt he already served four of them?

beside it was a silly point ignoring all the other cup/competition games Arsenal will be involved in.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just like Rooney I'd love to see Suarez signed regardless of the diving, baggage or insanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The people suggesting that Suarez isn't in the same category as Van Persie are bonkers. For me, both players are in the top 5 strikers in the world right now.

for around 5yrs now there has been buckets of piss and moan* about how Arsenal have been performing in the transfer market, how the purse strings have been well a truly kept tight, and how you keep haemorrhaging your true talent to the likes of Barca etc.

You then finally go and show some real balls and look to be trying to elevate the team/squad into one that would at least guarantee a season with silverwear, and who knows with the type of players linked and bid for probably the biggest cup of them all - and all that is being sounded out is that "Suarez aint worth it" etc etc.

Jeez lads with your current squad and the the addition of Suarez to it I would be screaming to up the bid that was first rejected!

Who knows the club could be looking to add both Hig and Suarez, and don't fool yourselves (if the bid is true) Wenger would have added up the pro's and cons of Suarez.

Im a Liverpool supporter and trust me there would be many a supporter of all PL clubs would be fearful of an Arsenal that had just added the two names mentioned above, a fear that imo has been missing now for a couple of seasons.

Wholeheartedly agree.

What Arsenal need and I said this last year) is a terrier of a striker like Suarez or Tevez from a couple of years ago. Would suit us much better than a Giroud style player.

Interesting point from arseblog this morning ...

reckons it won't happen because Suarez's bite was wholly intentional and designed to get him our of England. Says same happened at Ajax and he never played for them again, repeat process at Liverpool.

Makes sense to me. No matter who you are your instinct is not to bite someone. Lash out - yes, gnaw - no.

To be fair I think a lot of people are still convinced that we don't have a pot to piss in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Interesting point from arseblog this morning ...

reckons it won't happen because Suarez's bite was wholly intentional and designed to get him our of England. Says same happened at Ajax and he never played for them again, repeat process at Liverpool.

Makes sense to me. No matter who you are your instinct is not to bite someone. Lash out - yes, gnaw - no.

Absolute nonsense. Suarez was bulling in that game. Ivanovic was niggling at him and Suarez just lost it....you can tell by the anger in his face on the close up. There was no premeditation there at all. It just happened.

If Suarez wanted out of Liverpool, biting somebody would not be the way to do it. Sure didn't they appeal the ban? If he wanted to leave, all he had to do was answer a question that nobody asked such as "Real Madrid would be hard to turn down"......and that's exactly what he did. That's premeditation right there. The biting thing is just who he is. Impulsive and thuggish. It wasn't planned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

This story came from a Liverpool journalist, it could very easily be Liverpool or even Suarez trying to force Madrid's hand. It just seems too ham fisted to have come from Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

£30m is about right for Suarez. A players value drops when he makes it very public on many occasions that he wants to go, which by the way is very bad form from Suarez considering how Liverpool have stood by him.

I can see why Liverpool fans are outraged at that bid however, Liverpool don't live in the real world when it comes to transfer valuations, this is a magical realm where Andy Carroll is worth £35m and a past is Torres somehow managed to earn them £50m.

This is all pointless anyway, it's not Liverpool Suarez wants to leave, it's England. Real Madrid are the club he's being linked with, and I think our bid was the clubs way of saying; "Fine, you want to dick us about with the Higuain transfer? Then we'll just go after the striker you want instead." All part of the negotiation process for Higuain in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I don't believe there's any genuine interest on our behalf and if there is, the club is delusional/naive in thinking Liverpool would sell at £30m to a PL rival. For all this talk of ambition we have only signed a Ligue 2 youngster at this point and therefore, nothing has changed at Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

jordainius wrote: »
    This is all pointless anyway, it's not Liverpool Suarez wants to leave, it's England. Real Madrid are the club he's being linked with, and I think our bid was the clubs way of saying; "Fine, you want to dick us about with the Higuain transfer? Then we'll just go after the striker you want instead." All part of the negotiation process for Higuain in my opinion.

Then your board must be even worse at this sort of thing than the LFC brains trust! Higuains price just went up several million (from about 22-24 million).

mike65 wrote: »
    Then your board must be even worse at this sort of thing than the LFC brains trust! Higuains price just went up several million (from about 22-24 million).

Several million? It's only gone up by 2 or 3 million.

22-24 is the generally believed asking price.

• Advertisement

22-24 is the generally believed asking price.

Yeah? So? My point was, they haven't upped their asking price by several million. Our bid was in the 22/23 million mark. They initially had seemed to accept that and now they want about 25.

Why?

But Arsenal threw in a bid for 30 million for Suarez, ergo Real will say well if you're willing pay that for a striker you can pay it for our 25 year old Argentinian international. Arsenal want a top line striker - desperately. Real Madrid are not desperate.

Why?

Because apparantly Higuain's asking price going up from 22/23 million to 25 million makes our board worse than a board who willingly shelled out 35m on Andy Carroll....:confused::confused:

But Arsenal threw in a bid for 30 million for Suarez, ergo Real will say well if you're willing pay that for a striker you can pay it for our 25 year old Argentinian international. Arsenal want a top line striker - desperately. Real Madrid are not desperate.
    ... and Arsenal will say, no, he's not worth that. We'll buy someone else and you can keep your wantaway. Cheerio!

• Advertisement

So be it! Like I say its Arsenal who need to buy a striker, not Real who need to sell one. Whither Podolski?

Also, Real also appear to already have tried to increase the fee for Higuain after previously reaching agreement. This is Arsenal's way of saying that they don't need to buy Higuain.

Whither Podolski?
    Are we signing a left sided player too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Liverpool fans telling Arsenal how transfer deals should be done......... lol

Apparently Matt Law reckons this story is Liverpool's doing.

We're bidding for one of their transfer targets, Higuain wants to leave, they have started dicking us around with the price, we bid for the player they want to replace Higuain with, therefore they are now faced with the prospect of not getting the forward they want and being stuck with a striker who no longer wants to be there.

Also, Suarez; proven goalscorer in the Premier League. Higuain, they don't value him enough to regularly start him. Suarez is worth more, Real know that, Arsenal know that. It's common knowledge that our transfer kitty is close to £70m, Real already knew what we were capable of bidding, so contrary to what you want to believe this (alleged) bid for Suarez does not drive Higuains price up.

Every man and their dog knows that Arsenal have more than precisely 22m to spend on a player. So I don't see why people keep mentioning the fact that 30m is higher than that.

Also, the bids for a player Real want will potentially drive up the price Real will have to pay, meaning that dicking us over with Higuain won't save them any money.

Also, mike65 is choosing to ignore the fact that Madrid decided to ask for more than originally agreed for Higuain before our alleged bid for Suarez. He has it the wrong was around.

Apparently Matt Law reckons this story is Liverpool's doing.

Said that myself on the Liverpool thread. Was not in Arsenals interest to make it public esp the price. For LFC its a attention grabber for Suarez (do you want to end up playing in London glare for 100k a week???) and Real (get a move on!)

I don't know why anyone thinks Arsenal or Liverpool would have leaked this, its usually always agents...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

jordainius wrote: »
    I don't know why anyone thinks Arsenal or Liverpool would have leaked this, its usually always agents...

It'd be from the Suarez camp. He wants Madrid so if someone else bids they have to get it out there and hope Madrid do likewise.

Right, I usually enjoy boards but at this time of year it's all just a horrible meltdown.

We're now arguing about supposition based on rumour.

I'm out - see you all in September.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Right, I usually enjoy boards but at this time of year it's all just a horrible meltdown.

Yeah it's horrible, people discussing the biggest story in the soccer media on a given day that happens to be relative to the teams they support. I thought they'd still be talking about more important things like Diaby changing the number on his shirt, sure that only happened a few days ago! :p

Mother of god, "arguing"??? This post takes hyperbole/melodrama to a whole new level.....

Seriously, your interpretation of this discussion is bizarre to say the least, if this is "arguing", what the hell do you call what happened in this thread in the during the many lows of last season???

"Meltdown"?? Wow, just, wow.....

Bless your sensitive soul!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Also, Real also appear to already have tried to increase the fee for Higuain after previously reaching agreement. This is Arsenal's way of saying that they don't need to buy Higuain.

By having a transfer bid rejected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I really don't think our 30 million offer is as derisory as Liverpool fans appear to think, Suarez while undoubtedly a brilliant player comes with some issues, he has also made it public he wants out of Liverpool which drives down the price of a player generally and well so far were the only team to have made an official approach, unless they can get a bidding war going were the only viable option so far.

Hence why it seems to have been Liverpool who leaked the story hoping to drive up some interest in Suarez.

First offers usually are.

If your first bid is accepted you're doing something wrong in your negotiations!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

First offers usually are.
    If your first bid is accepted you're doing something wrong in your negotiations!

So Arsenal have just said to Real "Look we have £35m to spend on a striker". I'd say Real know Suarez most likely has little interest in actually going to Arsenal so I can't see them being to worried. However if Arsenal are actually going to spend money, Real can milk them for a bit more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement