Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Everyone in football knows that Arsenal have loads of money. This makes no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

So Arsenal have just said to Real "Look we have £35m to spend on a striker". I'd say Real know Suarez most likely has little interest in actually going to Arsenal so I can't see them being to worried. However if Arsenal are actually going to spend money, Real can milk them for a bit more.

Or you could look on it as Arsenal playing hardball with Real, who decided all of a sudden we want more money for Higuain.

So we say yeh we do have money to spend but were not Lverpool ;) we don't throw our money away our valuation of Higuain is whatever amount we wont go higher you don't accept well move onto other targets.

Like Suarez, Higuain and Real seem to only have one option left Arsenal, Juventus are out and no other clubs appear to be after him meaning the can't use a bidding war against us.

Oh, and I'm sure Suarez's issues with England would quickly disappear with an appropriate salary offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

jordainius wrote: »
    Mother of god, "arguing"??? This post takes hyperbole/melodrama to a whole new level.....

Seriously, your interpretation of this discussion is bizarre to say the least, if this is "arguing", what the hell do you call what happened in this thread in the during the many lows of last season???

"Meltdown"?? Wow, just, wow.....

Excuse the phrasing.

What I'm trying to get at is that in the last few days I've spent time discussing why I think the Rooney story is false, the merits if a Ransey part exchange for Fellaini, and now Arsenal's supposed tactics in bidding for Suarez.

I'll be happier if I leave it all be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Or you could look on it as Arsenal playing hardball with Real, who decided all of a sudden we want more money for Higuain.

So we say yeh we do have money to spend but were not Lverpool ;) we don't throw our money away our valuation of Higuain is whatever amount we wont go higher you don't accept well move onto other targets.

Like Suarez, Higuain and Real seem to only have one option left Arsenal, Juventus are out and no other clubs appear to be after him meaning the can't use a bidding war against us.

I'm sure Suarez will stick it out at Liverpool for another year if he needs to. He wants to move to win trophies so Arsenal are unlikely to be on his list. It's possible Arsenal are doing it in a "hey we have other targets" but Real will still know that those targets will be very limited. There aren't even many genuine excellent players Arsenal can realistically sign so it'll be a case of stumping up the cash for Higuain or else dropping down to a lower valued/potential quality of player. Real will know that it's important for Arsenal/Wenger to make a big statement this summer as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

So Arsenal have just said to Real "Look we have £35m to spend on a striker". I'd say Real know Suarez most likely has little interest in actually going to Arsenal so I can't see them being to worried. However if Arsenal are actually going to spend money, Real can milk them for a bit more.
    It isnt a secret that we have money to spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

By this logic, Chelsea, Man City, Monaco and PSG would never sign a player for less than £200 million, us bidding £30m (not 35 as you state) will have at most; very little impact on what Real want for Higuain, it's common knowledge we're supposed to have about £70m to play with, because of this, Real knew we could pay more than 22/23 million for Higuain in the first place, nothing has changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mirror reporting that no formal offer has been made now!

while the UK independent runs a piece so obvious/stupid I won't link it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

By this logic, Chelsea, Man City, Monaco and PSG would never sign a player for less than £200 million, us bidding £30m (not 35 as you state) will have at most; very little impact on what Real want for Higuain, it's common knowledge we're supposed to have about £70m to play with, because of this, Real knew we could pay more than 22/23 million for Higuain in the first place, nothing has changed.

That and the fact Wenger isn't known for paying massive money. He'd prefer to go without the player than pay over, what he considers, the odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I'm sure Suarez will stick it out at Liverpool for another year if he needs to. He wants to move to win trophies so Arsenal are unlikely to be on his list. It's possible Arsenal are doing it in a "hey we have other targets" but Real will still know that those targets will be very limited. There aren't even many genuine excellent players Arsenal can realistically sign so it'll be a case of stumping up the cash for Higuain or else dropping down to a lower valued/potential quality of player. Real will know that it's important for Arsenal/Wenger to make a big statement this summer as well.

Yeh it is important for Arsenal to make a big statement after all the Gazidis talk form the Q&A but I don't think Arsenal are the type of cub who will just throw money at Real to make it happen either. I think we have the slight upper hand as there appears to be no one left in for Higuain that we know off anyway.

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    It isnt a secret that we have money to spend.

Every summer Wenger says that Arsenal have money to spend. This summer isn't much different to every other one -> lots of money to spend, we'll sign X,Y, Z etc,put in a large bid for a good qualtiy player, it gets rejected, Arsenal showing their intend, cant blame Wenger if the club reject the bid etc etc. Come the end of August all Arsenal have to show is a few good signings for medium money. This summer might be completely different, but so far it's looking just like all the other transfer windows for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Every summer Wenger says that Arsenal have money to spend. This summer isn't much different to every other one -> lots of money to spend, we'll sign X,Y, Z etc,put in a large bid for a good qualtiy player, it gets rejected, Arsenal showing their intend, cant blame Wenger if the club reject the bid etc etc. Come the end of August all Arsenal have to show is a few good signings for medium money. This summer might be completely different, but so far it's looking just like all the other transfer windows for Arsenal.

Well, for me anyway, I'm getting an entirely different feel from this transfer window to recent ones. And Wenger has never really said he'd come out and spend loads of money (even this summer), just that it would be possible.

This summer is different, we know now that they are no longer just saying they have the money, we know that they have it, we've done the math on various sponsorship deals and the board themselves have as good as confirmed it.

Now, the fans expect them to spend money, and they (board/AW) know it. For years we had hoped, now we expect. And they know that they will face a furious backlash if they don't. I've always supported Wenger, not once have I said it's time for him to go, but if he chooses not to spend money we now know for certain that he has available, then he will start to lose support very fast.

This summer is different, we know now that they are no longer just saying they have the money, we know that they have it, we've done the math on various sponsorship deals and the board themselves have as good as confirmed it.

Now, the fans expect them to spend money, and they (board/AW) know it. For years we had hoped, now we expect. And they know that they will face a furious backlash if they don't. I've always supported Wenger, not once have I said it's time for him to go, but if he chooses not to spend money we now know for certain that he has available, then he will start to lose support very fast.
    It's fair comment from Chucky. Expectations are different but until we actually sign people the reality is the same. Wenger and the rest have defied expectations before, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he'll do it again.

It's fair comment from Chucky. Expectations are different but until we actually sign people the reality is the same. Wenger and the rest have defied expectations before, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he'll do it again.

Well yeah, I agree with you there, it is a fair comment by him. And he's right that so far it looks no different to any of the last 6/7summers. I'm not suggesting Chucky thinks this will definitely be exactly the same:P

Take my post as an addition to what he said, not a counter!

I do expect Arsenal to spend more this summer but I certainly won't be surprised if they don't. Even with the extra PL TV money they should have the ability to spend more than last year. If they end up only spending £10-£15m more than last year I'd consider that continuing in the same vain as last year because of the TV money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

well we more or less broke even last year due to sales of Song and RvP.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Paper never refuses ink.
    A lot of bluster and bluff today but still no signings.
    Same ole, same ole'.
    Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Apparently Ancellotti wants to have a chat with Higuain about his future - next MONDAY - no deal this week then. Madrid are buggers to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

greendom wrote: »
    Apparently Ancellotti wants to have a chat with Higuain about his future - next MONDAY - no deal this week then. Madrid are buggers to deal with.

If this is true I reckon that's the transfer dead, getting ridiculous now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

WENGER OUT !!!!!

To early?

greendom wrote: »

Did we even make an offer?

I'm not being conned this year. Too used to our stories at this stage. Same every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Did we even make an offer?

I'm not being conned this year. Too used to our stories at this stage. Same every year.

Maybe that's all these bids are is cons. Bid for big name players they're never gonna get and then on the eve of the transfer window closing say "we tried our best" and then unveil Darren Bent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Offer us £30m for Rooney.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Soups123 wrote: »
    Liverpool fans telling Arsenal how transfer deals should be done......... lol

So Liverpool supporters shouldn't have an opinion on other clubs transfers at all? Posts like yours is are far worse than you getting sensitive over LFC supporters having an opinion, embarrassing some people would thank your post too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Every man and their dog knows that Arsenal have more than precisely 22m to spend on a player. So I don't see why people keep mentioning the fact that 30m is higher than that.

Also, the bids for a player Real want will potentially drive up the price Real will have to pay, meaning that dicking us over with Higuain won't save them any money.
    Everyone in football knows that Arsenal have loads of money. This makes no difference.

Yeah, this. I'm not buying the argument that this shows Real we're willing to pay 30m for a striker thus driving up the price. It shows them that Higuain isn't the be all and end all of our targets and that we won't be pushed around on price.

Personally think 35-40m is fair for Suarez, hes absolutely perfect for our system too, even more so than RVP was. Not that we're gonna sign him, unless theres no other interest come August I'd expect him to find a better team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Perez- “We don’t want Higuain to leave & besides, nobody from Arsenal has come here to present an offer for him,we haven't received an offer”

Found this on arsenal mania, surely can't be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Perez- “We don’t want Higuain to leave & besides, nobody from Arsenal has come here to present an offer for him,we haven't received an offer”

All that people are basing their opinions on Arsenal's activity in the transfer market is some so called twitter accounts who claim to have an inside story. Nothing has come from any club to even suggest there has been a bid made yet.

My advise to all is to take your heads out of twitter and listen to official sources only, otherwise your head will be wrecked with all the turning it'll be doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Wasnt it there DOF, SAnchez who said Higuain would be sold to make way for a top CF,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

And it was Higuains dad and brother who were mentioning Arsenal

jonny666 wrote: »
    And it was Higuains dad and brother who were mentioning Arsenal
    How do you know this? Twitter perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    So Liverpool supporters shouldn't have an opinion on other clubs transfers at all? Posts like yours is are far worse than you getting sensitive over LFC supporters having an opinion, embarrassing some people would thank your post too.

Have a look at the posts I was referring too.

Not sure where there was sensitivity in my post just making MY point to the experienced negotiators here advising what Arsenal had done wrong and what they needed to do

Leiva wrote: »
    So let me get this straight....

for around 5yrs now there has been buckets of piss and moan* about how Arsenal have been performing in the transfer market, how the purse strings have been well a truly kept tight, and how you keep haemorrhaging your true talent to the likes of Barca etc.
    *all points well and truly debating in that horrid Wenger thread.

You then finally go and show some real balls and look to be trying to elevate the team/squad into one that would at least guarantee a season with silverwear, and who knows with the type of players linked and bid for probably the biggest cup of them all - and all that is being sounded out is that "Suarez aint worth it" etc etc.

Jeez lads with your current squad and the the addition of Suarez to it I would be screaming to up the bid that was first rejected!

Who knows the club could be looking to add both Hig and Suarez, and don't fool yourselves (if the bid is true) Wenger would have added up the pro's and cons of Suarez.

Im a Liverpool supporter and trust me there would be many a supporter of all PL clubs would be fearful of an Arsenal that had just added the two names mentioned above, a fear that imo has been missing now for a couple of seasons.
    Real balls? I thought we were all agreed that this offer was a bit of game-playing?

Anyway between this and the Liverpool thread it's hilarious seeing the same people believe whatever allows them to have a meltdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Quazzie wrote: »

You know, Twitter isn't just one single entity. There a plenty of good journalists that use twitter as a means of providing information.

Higuains dad was speaking to media in Argentina I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

No. Every football site and newspaper had quotes from his dad and brother

• Advertisement

You know, Twitter isn't just one single entity. There a plenty of good journalists that use twitter as a means of providing information.

Higuains dad was speaking to media in Argentina I believe.
    I agree Twitter has it's uses, but in terms of football transfers, the rubbish is far in excess of the proper news. Even some of the journalists are only rehashing what they have read on twitter.

For the record I know Higuain's mom and she says he's not allowed out as he's been a very naughty boy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I was chatting to them in the pub there last week. Once they get a few drinks on them they start spilling their guts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

There is so much sh!te that is written during the silly season.

Arseblog news is the best for storeys with actual sources, not just stuff reprinted from the daily mail.

They made up the story about Chamakh to Levante, then sure enough a few days later it starts to appear on other sites as "exclusive story"

So it all boils down to the fact that we know very little about any targets.

We have no proof that we are in for anyone.
    We have no proof that we are not in for anyone.

We are all in the dark and the only thing we know is that paper never refuses ink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

My first reaction to the Suarez story was that Arsenal made an enquiry so Higuain might hurry up and agree terms.
    Then again, it could be totally made up like most transfer rumours. I was shocked to see the BBC reporting that we offered £30 million. They usually don't jump on the rumour bandwagon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

thorbarry wrote: »
    There is so much sh!te that is written during the silly season.

Arseblog news is the best for storeys with actual sources, not just stuff reprinted from the daily mail.

They made up the story about Chamakh to Levante, then sure enough a few days later it starts to appear on other sites as "exclusive story"

It's not, they've no sources, they just wait until it's confirmed nearly, same stuff that's in papers, etc.
    Expect them to do a piece on Henry signing for barca any day now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Surprised Perez's comments haven't caused more a reaction here.
    Must be the weather, stopping the outrage :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

the only thing we know is that paper never refuses ink.

perhaps that phrase is due a modern update?

"Twitter never refuses shyte"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Jose on Higuan

"hes the laziest player I ever coached"

He must be expecting him to be in England next year then.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Jose on Higuan

"hes the laziest player I ever coached"

Yes I saw that as well - the only thing is he didn't actually say that. Apparently Higuain isn't that fashion conscious and Mourinho said he would turn up for training in his pajamas if he could.

For anyone not completely fed up with the Higuain saga As is saying that we've upped our bid to €30 million and hope to have the deal concluded by Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'm begining to think who is behind all these supposed bids ...the thing thats baffling me is we've bid for Bender, Rooney and Suarez and had them all rejected with no follow up at all, It seems like theres somebody in the boardroom taking random shots in the dark

We need a director of Football or someone who's able to sort out things like these I know Dein has been mentioned but i don't think thats going to happen

Says who?

Annoying and all as this saga may seem, I'm delighted that for once the annoying never ending saga is about a big name player coming in to the club, and not going out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement