Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

jordainius wrote: »
    Annoying and all as this saga may seem, I'm delighted that for once the annoying never ending saga is about a big name player coming in to the club, and not going out.

Higuain has been linked with the club for so long that if we end up not signing him, it will feel like a departure.

Anyone any idea what "audacious stunt" we can expect at 3.30pm tomorrow?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Giroud and Bendtner attempt to do 10 keepy-uppies together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

batistuta9 wrote: »
    It's not, they've no sources, they just wait until it's confirmed nearly, same stuff that's in papers, etc.
    Expect them to do a piece on Henry signing for barca any day now

Not any more, maybe when it first started.

Now they put sources with all their stories, like the recent bout of higuain stuff, his dad talking, and his brother all provided links to the original interviews with them.

I find its the best site, as you cant really trust many other places. Like most of the news papers just run with some story without any proper sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

greendom wrote: »
    Anyone any idea what "audacious stunt" we can expect at 3.30pm tomorrow?

Jersey launch? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Unveil Higuain and suprise us all :D we can dream right ?

Jersey launch? :o

Yes that but I was hoping for something a little more audacious to coincide with the new strip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Maybe they will unveil Diaby crutch free and declare him like a new signing and we no longer need new recruits as a result.

Unveil Higuain and suprise us all :D we can dream right ?

I was hoping for Fabregas. Hiuguain can wait till Friday.:D

• Advertisement

Its some new poster outside the emirates according to twitter ...super :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

:confused:

A bleedin' poster,

Wouldn't mind is it was Bergkamp's statue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

1373321907813_zpsefa83fe2.jpg

The Emirates tonight. Wouldn't call this an "audacious stunt" but it does look good I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

It's a poster. Not a stunt and not audacious.

Perez acting the bollix today put a dark cloud on this tropical day.

Unless bloody ronaldo pops out of the poster this is a load of bollocks !

The Emirates tonight.

I thought Higuain had arrived on the bike but that he was now going back to collect his belongings for a second :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

benteke handed in a transfer request. would ye be happy with benteke instead of higuain by the end of the week?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/8814213/Aston-Villa-confirm-Christian-Benteke-has-handed-in-a-transfer-request

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I thought Higuain had arrived on the bike but that he was now going back to collect his belongings for a second :D

Ha only noticed that now! :D

darego wrote: »
    benteke handed in a transfer request. would ye be happy with benteke instead of higuain by the end of the week?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/8814213/Aston-Villa-confirm-Christian-Benteke-has-handed-in-a-transfer-request

This lad could go either way next season. Would rather pay the extra and get Higgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

just bought 3 tickets for the emirates cup

same. higuain > benetke > rooney for me. just can't get over the hate i have for rooney :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'm sure Sol Campbell was not Mr. Popular before he moved from spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

same. higuain > benetke > rooney for me. just can't get over the hate i have for rooney :pac:

You be crazy.

Higuain/Rooney>>>Benteke atm.

Although, I do think Benteke could turn out to be a very good player, If we end up signing him after being linked to Higuain/Rooney/Suarez all summer ill be dissapointed.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I'm sure Sol Campbell was not Mr. Popular before he moved from spurs.

He was one of the best centre halves in the premier league though at the time so he was coveted. Rooney is top class on his day but has his best days gone past him? Attitude is questionable too

No i agree with everyone else i don't want a player was mostly a one season wonder and also in games with villa went from amazing one week to mediocre the next don't need another one of those having just finally shifted one...looking at you Andrei

shano_88 wrote: »
    You be crazy.

Higuain/Rooney>>>Benteke atm.

Although, I do think Benteke could turn out to be a very good player, If we end up signing him after being linked to Higuain/Rooney/Suarez all summer ill be dissapointed.

i really don't want rooney at the club, i can see a lot of things going wrong with him. too many question marks for such high wages/transfer fee

Villa has gone to Atletico for £5m. Werent we quoted close to £15m only six months ago? Wonder if we were ever actually in for him since he has gone for so little now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

i really don't want rooney at the club, i can see a lot of things going wrong with him. too many question marks for such high wages/transfer fee

Rooney peaked a long time ago and he's not going to move because United only seem to want Lewandowski as a replacement.

The potential in Benteke is absolutely huge. Also, I think we would have a great chance in getting him (Chelsea surely don't want another enormous Belgian striker on their books if they have Lukaku).

Higuain >> Benteke >> Rooney for me. I would be delighted with either of the first two options.

NIGHTMARE SCENARIO: Chelsea buy Benteke and Cavani moves to PSG. Real weigh up selling Higuain to buy Suarez and decide to keep Higuain. We've lost Higuain and Benteke in this case leaving us with... Jovetic? :-/

Belgian football writer Kristof Terreur (@HLNinEngeland) says Benteke's preferred club is Spurs.

Seriously, if Spurs have Paulinho and Benteke and the Higuain doesn't go through for us, I will explode!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Flippin hell this is some soap opera

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm beginning to wonder if I don't prefer having someone come in for our best players to this. At least we know the outcome is inevitable in those situations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Belgian football writer Kristof Terreur (@HLNinEngeland) says Benteke's preferred club is Spurs.

Seriously, if Spurs have Paulinho and Benteke and the Higuain doesn't go through for us, I will explode!

Not sure about that, it's pretty well known he's an Arsenal fan. He's a big risk for his price whoever takes him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Anybody else think they might unveil a player a the kit launch today or am i clutching at straws here?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

Isco is supposed to be a Barca supporter but he still went to Real, our own Ramsey United supporter but he came to us... So I don't think it matters who they support...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Jack every time you post i get more depressed! :)

Sid lowe has an article in the guardian today about higuain to arsenal which is rather more positive.

You've to remember that Marca is a Real Madrid propaganda sheet. This is all silly games. I still expect Higuain by friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I don't want Benteke. He has half a good season, and his price is inflated massively because of this. I might be eating my words if he continues to improve next year, bit it's a big risk. Look at the players City bought who impressed for one season - Roque Santa Cruz, Adebayour, Nasri, Rodwell, etc. Whilst all these players were impressive for longer than Benteke they all went into recline after securing a big money move after a year of good form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Jack every time you post i get more depressed! :)

Sid lowe has an article in the guardian today about higuain to arsenal which is rather more positive.

You've to remember that Marca is a Real Madrid propaganda sheet. This is all silly games. I still expect Higuain by friday.

Ha sorry about that I always try to be realistic because its arsenal, in other news the Barry story is gathering pace quickly, dunno how to feel about that one.

Yeah on the Barry thing a mate mailed me about it and I went on a mad rant but I’m not so sure now, I still think 4m for a 1 year contract at 75k a week is very un-arsenal like and doubt the story but he’s a good solid player with bags of experience. But I wonder what’s the point of signing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Quazzie wrote: »
    I don't want Benteke. He has half a good season, and his price is inflated massively because of this. I might be eating my words if he continues to improve next year, bit it's a big risk. Look at the players City bought who impressed for one season - Roque Santa Cruz, Adebayour, Nasri, Rodwell, etc. Whilst all these players were impressive for longer than Benteke they all went into recline after securing a big money move after a year of good form.

gotta agree. I wouldnt mind if he came in along with Higuain or who ever but not on his own. We need to get a proven, experienced player

• Advertisement

benteke at 20m + is a big big risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Too right, I definitely wouldn't chance it, similar to Liverpool purchasing Andy Carroll. Not worth the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Maybe they will unveil Diaby crutch free and declare him like a new signing and we no longer need new recruits as a result.

No. Diaby out for another 6 months it seems.

Stethoscope fell on his foot during a medical check-up.

Benteke is not worth anywhere close to £20m. For an extra £10m to £20m you could get someone of proven quality like Higuain, Suarez, Rooney, Jovetic etc. Hell, van Persie was in that price range. Benteke has a lot to do before he should be considered at that sort of money.

Don't care where he ends up as he isn't going to make a difference to anyone we should be watching.

Seen a link to a Barry story but didn't even click on it, that's how unlikely I think it is. Who's reported it?

If we don't get Higuain and Spurs/Chelsea get Benteke and City get Jovetic (as is now being rumoured), the giant absence of quality strikers left on the market is an even bigger risk.

Strikers are pairing off and we are running out of options as this Real saga drags on.

EDIT: Benteke is ultimately worth what his club want to accept and considering that his goals kept Villa up last year, they are going to ask for 20m+. There's a huge upside to him, I'd absolutely make a bid before Chelsea or Spurs get there.

At first I wasn't sure on Higuain, right now though I think I'd cry if we dont get him

• Advertisement

there's no need to panic just yet Speedboat.

Spurs baulked at paying small money for David Villa, a proven world class striker. They won't be moving very quickly on Benteke for 20m + (as villa want). They might get him eventually, and that would be a little scary if we don't strenghten, but they still have the Togo Merc sucking 5million a year in wages to get rid of first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

If we don't get Higuain and Spurs/Chelsea get Benteke and City get Jovetic (as is now being rumoured), the giant absence of quality strikers left on the market is an even bigger risk.

Strikers are pairing off and we are running out of options as this Real saga drags on.

That's just drama. You aren't running out of options. You are perhaps running out of marquee options that fans would know of. But the scouts have dozens of options out there for a lot less than 20 million. There aren't merely a dozen strikers out there in the world you know. How many fans had heard of Benteke before he signed for Villa? Or Michu? Or Cisse? Or Remy? Fans know them now, but they didn't before their clubs signed them.

There are good players out there who most of the top clubs are aware of. They may not be as sexy as a Jovetic or Higuain but there is no reason to panic.

TheGunns wrote: »
    At first I wasn't sure on Higuain, right now though I think I'd cry if we dont get him

Why aren't we hearing any more on other target for different positions though? We had a 30m bid for Bender turned down and now we're apparently in for Gareth bloody Barry? We were looking at Julio Cesar and now he could be off to Napoli. What are actually doing aside from chasing Higuain, a case where - if you believe Perez - we hadn't even made a bid.

Why aren't we hearing any more on other target for different positions though? We had a 30m bid for Bender turned down and now we're apparently in for Gareth bloody Barry? We were looking at Julio Cesar and now he could be off to Napoli. What are actually doing aside from chasing Higuain, a case where - if you believe Perez - we hadn't even made a bid.

Hasn't it usually been Arsenal's preferred method to keep things quiet? Why announce to the world that you're looking to sign x, y and z when it'll just draw more interest and drive the price up? It's what Madrid are trying to do with Higuain.

Cesar can head off to Napoli, he's no loss. Szczesny and Fabianski I'd currently rate higher than him. No need for a third choice goalkeeper on £90,000 a week who isn't even that good anymore. A ton of better options in England alone.

I'd take one big ish name, Bender is the only other I'd fancy to come in. Barry would be decent but only if we also got someone else in there too. Not too pushed about a keeper, big fan of Szczesny.

We haven't signed someone I was excited about since Reyes (I had no idea who Cazorla was) and it feels like we could get someone this window with lots of players on the move

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement