Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

We will get Higuain, this last back and forth in posturing we just need to sit tight. The rumours about Barry are a bit of a let down to be honest but the deafening silence on the likes of Capoue and Fellaini says it all, it seems like at this point that were not in for either of those two.
    If you cast your mind back to last summer all the manu fans were crying out for a top quality midfielder but Ferguson went ahead and bought a 30 goals a season man despite having the percieved quality of Rooney and Chicarito.
    They won the league on the back of that, if we had a reliable goalscorer bringing in those kinds of numbers, particularly able to score in the big games anything could have happened last season for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

TheGunns wrote: »
    I'd take one big ish name, Bender is the only other I'd fancy to come in. Barry would be decent but only if we also got someone else in there too. Not too pushed about a keeper, big fan of Szczesny.

We haven't signed someone I was excited about since Reyes (I had no idea who Cazorla was) and it feels like we could get someone this window with lots of players on the move

At this rate I would take that too but personally first and foremost I want a striker and defensive midfielder, after that I'd prefer another back-up central defender and a proven keeper. We need a lot more than just one guy and have the funds to fill all the cracks.

I'm very wary of Spurs, City and Chelsea all signing new strikers while we get messed around by Real right now. I just don't think Real are gonna let Higuain leave unless they can replace him and the only big names they would likely go for are Suarez and Cavani, and the latter could be off to PSG in a few days. Our position looks quite precarious and we don't seem to be proactive whatsoever while Real have us by the balls.

I still think we could have won the league last year if we didn't sell RVP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Call me crazy but I totally agree.

he pulled united through so many games early on when they were leaking goals. :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

If we had showed ambition through the years, we would have held onto our world class players and would have won titles and maybe champions league I'm sure of that, but it wasn't to be and the players lost confidence in the direction of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I disagree, because we needed to lose him so that the rest of the players could step up like they have. I think we could win it next year with him, because the squad as a whole functions much better now, and we need to lose him to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I still can't believe we sold him to United and didn't even have 4th place wrapped up until the final day of the season. We weren't in need of funds and could've easily done what Dortmund are doing with Lewandowski. Disgraceful decision.

If we had showed ambition through the years, we would have held onto our world class players and would have won titles and maybe champions league I'm sure of that, but it wasn't to be and the players lost confidence in the direction of the club.

funding the stadium really cost us over the past few years. Finding 390 million to pay for it was impressive, even if for the fans like us 8 trophyless years hurts. Liverpool and Spurs still have to expand or rebuild and go through that painful time, we've come out the other side now and hopefully we'll see success again before too long. I'm certain this team has trophy winning potential - a couple of additions required of course!

Long term though the greatest beneficiaries of the Wenger era will be the managers who follow him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Quazzie wrote: »
    I disagree, because we needed to lose him so that the rest of the players could step up like they have. I think we could win it next year with him, because the squad as a whole functions much better now, and we need to lose him to do that.

The players didn't step up because van Persie left, it was the defeat at White Hart Lane that woke them up. The squad as a whole has functioned better since March but the one thing we were lacking was the top class goalscorer, the Wright/Anelka/|Henry/van Persie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Jack every time you post i get more depressed! :)

Sid lowe has an article in the guardian today about higuain to arsenal which is rather more positive.

You've to remember that Marca is a Real Madrid propaganda sheet. This is all silly games. I still expect Higuain by friday.

Also that article literally has question marks at the end of the points it's trying to make. It's pure guesswork and Real Madrid leaning conjecture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Long term though the greatest beneficiaries of the Wenger era will be the managers who follow him.

Out of interest is there any ex players ye would have as manger??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Bergkamp is the only one i'd consider at the moment

Bergkamp is the only one i'd consider at the moment

Not much use to us when he won't get on a plane ever.

I thought he'd gotten over that ..obviously not lol

Some nice words from Santi

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1494774?cc=5739
    "Every team in the league has a complicated period at some point and their level drops," the Spaniard said. "When the team doesn't win and we don't get the results we want, the collective confidence does drop a little and that's natural. Now, we've put in a spectacular run-in and you can see the difference in mentality.

"We have great players. I'm sure next season we'll be a better team and we'll improve. There are young players. It's clear this squad has plenty of potential to improve. Next season, we hope we can be even better and win trophies and the supporters can enjoy it. That's what Arsenal really wants. I hope I can keep developing too."

Reflecting on his own debut season, in which he was named the club's player of the year, Cazorla highlighted his strike in the 5-2 win against Tottenham Hotspur at the Emirates as his favourite moment.

"I think the most beautiful goal was away to West Ham but the one that stays with me the most was against Tottenham at home," he said. "My first derby, a massive game and a match to remember for me.

"It's because of the feeling of it. I didn't realise there was that much of a rivalry before I came. To experience it for the first time, to win it in front of our fans and to score a goal, it stays with me.

"I'm very happy with my first season. It's been very positive, a great experience. The relationship with the crowd has, from the first minute, been spectacular. Every player wants that.

"I'm feeling very at home in the team. They've given me responsibility and hopefully that can continue and we get better."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Not much use to us when he won't get on a plane ever.

Jaysus thats right totally forgot all about that, remeber he had to drive to play for us away in Lens and Florence years ago in the champs lge, never travelled to Kiev as it was too far. We played at Wembley back in those days in Europe too, think every game we played that year in Europe we conceded in the last minute of the games :-(

There have been no offers yet, but Liverpool know exactly what is going on and what I want.”

“My agent is in charge, he knows what I want, I am resting and relaxed. I am due back in about ten days, on the 21st of July (for the friendly with Melbourne Victory)… a phone call could change everything.”

“Is good to know that I am still valued by teams like Arsenal. Friends call me up to ask if I am moving to Chelsea, to which I laugh

Read more: http://goonertalk.com/2013/07/09/suarez-its-good-to-know-that-i-am-still-valued-by-teams-like-arsenal/#ixzz2YYkcCN9Y

The plot thickens :cool:

God I gotta get back to work quickly, too many days off = me becoming obsessed with us signing players :/

The plot thickens :cool:

God I gotta get back to work quickly, too many days off = me becoming obsessed with us signing players :/

Ha ha brilliant. I really love Suarez after those comments :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I quite like that away kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

1373381827993_zpsb277c49f.jpg

Great kit and nice to see the hooped socks back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

So despite all the twitter talk that the Bendter deal to Frankfurt was off, it looks like he's off to them and not Malaga

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=dancing+gif&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=8e_Y-6HFEQ6Y3M&tbnid=QXy1lPAstAKxxM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tumblr.com%2Ftagged%2Fdancing%2520banana%2520gif&ei=VSjcUYK2BIzFPKargZgE&bvm=bv.48705608,d.ZWU&psig=AFQjCNE2zPUGnZ59NmSIQ2D50b14AnIGZA&ust=1373469136624975

lovely away kit. Yoink. Will be buying it.

Soooo.....what are our chances of having the Invincibles Mk 2 in 2013/14??

A dead cert i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

love the new kit and Bendtner won't be here to wear it... Nice one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I posted a mad rant about that jersey a few days ago, I have to admit the kit as a whole does look decent on the players there. If only they''d keep it for two years. I find it very hard to justify buying a kit that they'll wear no more than maybe ten times.

• Advertisement

Hyzepher wrote: »
    So despite all the twitter talk that the Bendter deal to Frankfurt was off, it looks like he's off to them and not Malaga

So long as he goes i dont give a f*ck where at this stage. An epic clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

So long as he goes i dont give a f*ck where at this stage. An epic clown.

Never will I forgive his miss against Barca. Never.

Funnily enough the 6 that modelled the kit were the same 6 that signed long term deals last year or just coincidence? I suppose the lads are poster boys too admittedly but surely Olly Giroud would be used in that case?

HazDanz wrote: »
    Never will I forgive his miss against Barca. Never.

Wasn't so much that he missed its that he appeared not to give a f*ck about it.

Giroud isn't British.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Funnily enough the 6 that modelled the kit were the same 6 that signed long term deals last year or just coincidence? I suppose the lads are poster boys too admittedly but surely Olly Giroud would be used in that case?

He's not British though which I assume is the look they've been working on building for awhile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Screenshot_2013-07-09-17-15-59_zpsf5127b74.png

This made me chuckle!

Apparently Roma are all into Gervinho's forehead and want to see more of it, awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Arsenal Gent is a great account, I love his names for the players.

Apparently Roma are all into Gervinho's forehead and want to see more of it, awesome.

So long as they take his torso arms and legs with his head while they are at it

Giroud isn't British.
    TheGunns wrote: »
    He's not British though which I assume is the look they've been working on building for awhile

Oh I hadnt realised the promotion theme was British themed but i havent looked at the site yet in saying that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Oh I hadnt realised the promotion theme was British themed but i havent looked at the site yet in saying that

It doesn't say it anywhere, but it's the only reason I can see for only using the young British players. Trying to distance themselves from the completely foreign players thing IMO

Twitter is in meltdown with rumours of a big announcement, wait for it....fabregas is meant to be coming back!

When does the window shut!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I follow 5/6 reliable Arsenal folk on twitter and manage to avoid pretty much every rumour Jack ends up posting here :pac:

Quality > Quantity on that medium

AdamD wrote: »
    I follow 5/6 reliable Arsenal folk on twitter and manage to avoid pretty much every rumour Jack ends up posting here :pac:

Don't shoot the messenger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is there such a thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Very true that, but I normally enjoy twitter this time of year keeps e occupied while there is no football but haven't been on it much the lat couple of days, the constant yo yo in the Higuain transfer has left me all transfer window drained.

Would have hoped we got the finger out and sorted signing for pre season but getting the feeling more and more were going to leave it till the last minute haggling over pennys and have once again an unsettled squad starting the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Is there such a thing?

Well by that I pretty much mean a couple of journos and fans who only tweet about and discuss links for good sources. People who would dismiss links like Gareth Barry and Reina in an instant as its just nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I follow some fairly 'dubious' people and even I don't see the rumours jack does!!

jonny666 wrote: »
    I follow some fairly 'dubious' people and even I don't see the rumours jack does!!

https://twitter.com/invinciblog

Just to prove I'm not making up reading all these rumours, but I know deep down most of it is waffle!

This twitter thing is becoming a joke, its annoying, frustrating and takes away from possible discussions to be had on here.

Im loving the socks on the new away kit :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Twitter is just the bees knees. Apparently we will have Higuain and Cesar by Sunday as some randomer spoke to Abou Diaby in a mosque about it.
    100% legit.

Some more pics of your new away kit lads, looks good, the button collar and is a nice touch.

LINK

Arsenal-away-kit.jpg

arsenal-away-kit-solo1.jpg

I see Chelsea signed Scharwzer , Good signing especially for him get a mint for playing 2nd string to Cech

Strange we weren't in for him with Vito Big chin gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

On the fabregas thing. I read Myles Palmers rag blog today for the first time in ages. He was rabbiting on about Fellaini and how Arsenal were baulking at paying an extra 3m for him. I don't know what it is about Palmer but he really rubs me up the wrong way so I mailed him calling him out on his nonsense as well as his claim a fee weeks back about Fabregas returning being done. (Amongst other things!!)
    He mailed me back just saying that Fabregas was done but was being held up over image rights and to "watch this space".

I don't believe him for one second and I reckon he was just trying to get a rise out of me but in the spirit of the season I thought I'd share that piece of non information!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement