Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

[QUOTE=brianregan09;85455038]I see Chelsea signed Scharwzer , Good signing especially for him get a mint for playing 2nd string to Cech

Strange we weren't in for him with Vito Big chin gone[/QUOTE]

Have they pulled the plug on Ruddy so? Sure we probably have Cesar signed thats why

dvemail wrote: »
    Anybody else think they might unveil a player a the kit launch today or am i clutching at straws here?

Well Jack not long back from injury was like a new signing :D

On the fabregas thing. I read Myles Palmers rag blog today for the first time in ages. He was rabbiting on about Fellaini and how Arsenal were baulking at paying an extra 3m for him. I don't know what it is about Palmer but he really rubs me up the wrong way so I mailed him calling him out on his nonsense as well as his claim a fee weeks back about Fabregas returning being done. (Amongst other things!!)
    He mailed me back just saying that Fabregas was done but was being held up over image rights and to "watch this space".

I don't believe him for one second and I reckon he was just trying to get a rise out of me but in the spirit of the season I thought I'd share that piece of non information!

The Stereophonics had a song a few years back which is fitting to the bulls*it twitter rumours called 'Half of the lies you tell aint true'

dvemail wrote: »
    Twitter is just the bees knees. Apparently we will have Higuain and Cesar by Sunday as some randomer spoke to Abou Diaby in a mosque about it.
    100% legit.

:D:D:D:D

Its nearly like all the stuff you'd hear about people claiming to have spoke to GAA players in X place and such and so was flying at training etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Renathino ‏@th14Renato 3m
    The Times: Luis Suarez wants his agent to determine the strenght interest from Arsenal.

Luis will be brought straight back down to earth when he realises we were acting the mickey with that enquiry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Renathino ‏@th14Renato 3m
    The Times: Luis Suarez wants his agent to determine the strenght interest from Arsenal.

Luis will be brought straight back down to earth when he realises we were acting the mickey with that enquiry.

I dont think we are all that interested, but if Suarez is interested then Wenger should go for it properly.

I think Suarez would be a great route to go. He is easily one of the best in England and as such, fairly high overall in Europe. Plus, signing Suarez leaves Madrid stuck with Higuain after their messing about. Watch how quickly they'll agree to sell if they think we're no longer all that fussed. Could potentially end up with both, and clearing the way for Madrid to take Bale :D

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I dont think we are all that interested, but if Suarez is interested then Wenger should go for it properly.

I think Suarez would be a great route to go. He is easily one of the best in England and as such, fairly high overall in Europe. Plus, signing Suarez leaves Madrid stuck with Higuain after their messing about. Watch how quickly they'll agree to sell if they think we're no longer all that fussed. Could potentially end up with both, and clearing the way for Madrid to take Bale :D

Perhaps Madrid want to keep Higuain. Fair enough if so, but their b**locks acting really shows up what a classless petty shower they are. We sold them Anelka and were on the verge of selling them Vieira. They make a big deal about selling us one player. And we havent played the media card once in this whole saga. Everything has been done with the utmost discretion. I feel bad if we dont get Hig. Id love him at Arsenal but quite frankly that pretentious shower can go f*ck off with a capital F

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Perhaps Madrid want to keep Higuain. Fair enough if so, but their b**locks acting really shows up what a classless petty shower they are. We sold them Anelka and were on the verge of selling them Vieira. They make a big deal about selling us one player. And we havent played the media card once in this whole saga. Everything has been done with the utmost discretion. I feel bad if we dont get Hig. Id love him at Arsenal but quite frankly that pretentious shower can go f*ck off with a capital F

Madrid paid good money for an unproven youngster and turned him into a great player. Now they want to get as high a pay day as they can for him. How have they acted the b*llocks along the way? None of us know what's happening with this or any other deal yet people are so quick to offer an opinion on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Suarez is a world class talent, I would literally shart myself with laughter if he joined us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Madrid paid good money for an unproven youngster and turned him into a great player. Now they want to get as high a pay day as they can for him. How have they acted the b*llocks along the way? None of us know what's happening with this or any other deal yet people are so quick to offer an opinion on them.

Good point - it's also early days in the transfer window and so they have plenty of time to see if there are any other suitors and/or to find a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Selling them Anelka is grand I suppose but half the clubs in the world can say that now! Almost selling them Viera is also a bit insignifigant as they are almost selling us Higuain and even more impotantly we have sold their arch rivals half our good players!! They prob fockin hate us!

And sure why not.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

I couldn't even dream up a better sigining than suarez for so many reasons!!!!

heres a selection of quotes from Liverpool forums to be found on twitter as RAWK meltdown a great follow actually

"(Suarez) hope he goes to Arsenal they would suit each other"

(Arsenal bid for Suarez) We can give them a cardboard copy of Suarez to go with their card board 4th spot trophy"

"We should stick a £2mill bid in for Cazorla."

"(Arsenal bid for Suarez) Oiii Wenger, Suarez didn't grow up dreaming of reaching the last 16 of the CL or winning the Top 4 trophy."

"(Arsenal) Arrogant pricks think they`re better and bigger than us. I`ll take that much more satisfaction in beating them this season"

I couldn't even dream up a better sigining than suarez for so many reasons!!!!

heres a selection of quotes from Liverpool forums to be found on twitter as RAWK meltdown a great follow actually

"(Suarez) hope he goes to Arsenal they would suit each other"

(Arsenal bid for Suarez) We can give them a cardboard copy of Suarez to go with their card board 4th spot trophy"

"We should stick a £2mill bid in for Cazorla."

"(Arsenal bid for Suarez) Oiii Wenger, Suarez didn't grow up dreaming of reaching the last 16 of the CL or winning the Top 4 trophy."

"(Arsenal) Arrogant pricks think they`re better and bigger than us. I`ll take that much more satisfaction in beating them this season"

Why would Suarez want to join Arsenal and champions league sure when he could stay at a club who last won the league in 1990 and play alongside Jordan Henderson Thursday night in the Europa league? And sure im sure he sleeps with his Carling cup medal every night also.

Liverpool have won 1 trophy (a measly insignificant Carling cup) since 2006 and will now enter a period of financial uncertainty alongside 'giants' Tottenham hotspur who are both planning stadium developments.

Arsenal on the other hand will be back where we belong. Stadium practically paid for, raking in the cash, and showing the johnny come lately billionaires how to win the major trophies fairly with style and oozing class.

We might loan Liverpool and even our good neighbours a player or 2 in their pursuit of the Championship playoffs down the line though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I've just spent the last 20 minutes watching all his goals.

Godammit I love that bastard

Eduardo wouldn't be a bad player to have at the club

Any excuse to post this video again
    :D

Just that mouthpiece Perez in the media is all. Almost looking for sympathy for overpaying for his 'galaticos' over the years in an interview a few weeks ago despite using all the dirty tricks in publicly courting them. They beat their own world record by about 20-25m for Ronaldo and then give out about an inflated market. They are making alot of noise about Bale and will more than likely drive his price sky high on themselves too. Wouldnt be surprised if he did move the goalposts on the Higuain price. The transfer market might be a saner place for the likes of Perez absence.

Eduardo wouldn't be a bad player to have at the club

Wenger was adamant that Eduardo's ability to turn on the proverbial sixpence, had greatly declined (understandably since that horrific injury) and thats why he felt he was limited in what he could contribute to us in the future.

Love the guy though. Top class. A crying shame what happened to him.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I've just spent the last 20 minutes watching all his goals.

Godammit I love that bastard

Suarez or Higgy?

Wenger was adamant that Eduardo's ability to turn on the proverbial sixpence, had greatly declined (understandably since that horrific injury) and thats why he felt he was limited in what he could contribute to us in the future.

Love the guy though. Top class. A crying shame what happened to him.

Absolute shame, fantastic player.

Suarez or Higgy?
    Henry.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Henry.

Oh yeah indeed he was unreal. That goal against Utd in 2000 was just superb. Andy Gray despite being a total dolt, summed it up when he deemed it majestic.

Higgers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Higgers

what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

The Sun reports today that Real are prepared to 'hijack' our Luis Suarez bid.

The plan worked! :D

The Sun reports today that Real are prepared to 'hijack' our Luis Suarez bid.

The plan worked! :D

They're after Bale so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I'm just hopeful that once we get rid of Bendtner that'll start the influx of summer transfers. With Vermaelen looking to possibly be missing for the start of the season, I think we need another CB brought in. Djourou and Squillachi are no longer there, and I know Sagna was magic playing CB at Sunderland last year, but we desperately need re-enforcements up top, and in defence now. If we got both those and the added bonus of a quality DM (not Barry) I think we'll be looking at a promising season.

But we need to start buying in players now.

If we sign Barry then why did we let pires and gilberto leave when they were willing to stay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

If we sign Barry then why did we let pires and gilberto leave when they were willing to stay?

It'd be up there with the signing of Silvestre for me in terms of aging players to join.

Pires and Gilberto were let go because of our reliance on youth at the time. This approach has changed over the last few years, and I'd say Wenger possibly realises he may have let Pires go too early.

Hopefully the Barry stuff is just BS, but you wouldn't be surprised.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Roddy23 wrote: »
    It'd be up there with the signing of Silvestre for me in terms of aging players to join.
    Naw, Barry is still a good player.

Still don't want us to sign him though. I suppose if we brought in Fabregas and Rooney, a cheapo to give us 4 good CMs would be alright...

• Advertisement

Naw, Barry is still a good player.

Still don't want us to sign him though. I suppose if we brought in Fabregas and Rooney, a cheapo to give us 4 good CMs would be alright...

That's the only way we should be looking at him. Extra cover after we got our real signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'm 34, 17 and a half stone and have osteoarthritis in my right hip.

And I'm still faster than Gareth Barry.

Lest not forget letting a 30 year old campbell go and bring in silvestre, only to realise he is still good and resign him years later, sometimes wengers decisions are baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Lest not forget letting a 30 year old campbell go and bring in silvestre, only to realise he is still good and resign him years later, sometimes wengers decisions are baffling.

Campbell was let go for almost compassionate reasons you could say and the understanding was that he was going to move abroad. He screwed Wenger a little bit by taking all the cash that Portsmouth offered him.

Yeah though he should have been told to man up all the same. Wenger is too soft on his top players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

There's been a change of philosophy since then. Back then it was all about long term and resale value. Now there is a realisation that if a player can bring instant worth to the team then its worth persuing even if we stand not to make on the deal in the long term.

Wenger, and everyone else, was under the impression he was moving abroad. I think France was suggested as a location. For whatever reason, he decided to go back on that and move to Portsmouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Let's not forget Campbell wouldn't play the 2nd half of tha W.Ham game after he made a few screw ups. Lot of people lost faith in him then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Good article from Sid Lowe, not about Arsenal, just Higuain and why hes leaving;
    It was April 2008 and things were not going well for Gonzalo Higuaín. He was having a terrible game at the Santiago Bernabéu, missing chance after chance and seemingly getting more apprehensive with each opportunity. But then another cross came in and this time he dived in to score. Up in the east stand of the Bernabéu, Real Madrid's stadium announcer prepared to tell the fans all about it.

"Higuaín scores," he shouted gleefully, leaving a pause "... at long last!"

At the end of last season, it was hard to imagine those words not going round Higuaín's head when he admitted that he wanted to leave Madrid, possibly in a £23m move to Arsenal. "No one has gifted me anything. I have had to fight for everything," he said. "I want to go somewhere where they really want me."

Higuaín's time at Madrid has been successful. He has won three league championships and scored 107 league goals at better than a goal every other game. In 2007-08, he scored the goal that clinched the title. At the end of the 2011-2012 season, in which Madrid had reached a record 100 points, celebrating fans and players chanted: "Higuaín, stay! Higuaín, stay!" and José Mourinho persuaded him to continue when it seemed his mind was made up. And yet somewhere, lurking in the back of his mind, there has always been a doubt, a sense that some important people were not convinced and never would be.

When Higuaín arrived in the winter of 2006-07, some team-mates ironically dubbed him Igualín – roughly, Samey – because he was just like Ronaldo. He did not always take his chances and the goals didn't flow. He got two in 19 in that first half-season, eight in 25 the following year.

But he was still young: he had arrived at 20, crossing the Atlantic from Argentina having only played 31 games. And when he did get goals they were important ones. Then, he took off: in 2008-09, he scored 22 in 34 and in 2009-2010, 27 in 32, more than the star signing, Cristiano Ronaldo.

That should have been reason to celebrate, but it felt almost like he had done something wrong. He was running at just over a goal every 100 minutes but still there were criticisms. Missed chances were pounced on; when he hit the post against Lyon in the Champions League in 2010, he was blamed for Madrid's exit.

Similar accusations were rarely aimed at other players and it was hard to avoid the conclusion that there was something political in it. Higuaín had been signed by Ramón Calderón, not the new president Florentino Pérez, and his inclusion barred the way to Karim Benzema, the apple of Pérez's eye.

There was what can best be described as anti-Higuaín lobby. At times, the attacks could be astonishingly bitter; playing well, scoring goals, only seemed to make them more annoyed. He just kept on scoring.

Then, in Mourinho's first season, a back injury ruled him out on the morning of the clásico; he finished the campaign having played just 17 matches. He had scored 10 times, all of them prior to that game. He returned in time for the Champions League semi-finals but was not fully fit and played less than an hour across the two legs. As Madrid won the league the following year, he got 22 goals in 35 games, and last season scored 16 in 28, as Mourinho tended to alternate between him and Benzema depending on how he approached games: Benzema is more technical, Higuaín more tenacious.

By then, it felt like Mourinho was not entirely sure about either and the policy may have been counterproductive. The Frenchman usually played the biggest games and the doubts from some quarters about the Argentinian never fully went away.

The fact he scored 20 goals in 30 games at international level made little impact. Higuaín's critics pointed at his Champions League record: one in nine, three in 12, two in six, over the past three seasons. They pointed at the chances not taken again when Madrid were knocked out by Borussia Dortmund this season, in part because they could, in part through inertia, in part because they were waiting for him. Little was said about chances which Mesut Ozil and Ronaldo failed to take.

Higuaín is a quick, clever striker with the presence and persistence to play in the Premier League. He closes defenders down, peels off to the wing and creates space and opportunities for others. He is adept at pulling diagonally away from the defender to receive in the area or quietly dropping off into the space behind them, running horizontally across the line before stepping beyond, where his finishing is varied and usually clean, especially when it is instinctive. So often it is his goal that provides the breakthrough, too: the opener or the winner. His contribution is consistent, regular, not inflated by gluts.

Higuaín has had his defenders too and the criticism never sank him; he has proved to be tough and remarkably resistant. But in the end he tired of swimming against the tide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

AdamD wrote: »
    Good article from Sid Lowe, not about Arsenal, just Higuain and why hes leaving;

Not trying to be pendantic but you should at least leave a link to the article, otherwise you're basically just stealing a journalist's content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Not trying to be pendantic but you should at least leave a link to the article, otherwise you're basically just stealing a journalist's content.

Not to be pedantic but I quite clearly was not as in the very first line of my post I credited it to Sid Lowe.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jul/08/arsenal-gonzalo-higuain-real-madrid

I want Higuain more than ever after reading that. He comes across as someone who would really give us exactly what we are missing. An aggressive striker that scores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Anyone know when the squad leaves for Asia and when the players travelling may be announced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Travellers are to be announced later on today after the Fabregas reveal I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

Anyone know when the squad leaves for Asia and when the players travelling may be announced

The squad leave on Friday and the first game is on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Can't believe it's preseason already, feels like the season has only just ended. More confident and relaxed at this point in the summer than any other before, it's probably just the weather though :P

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looks like Cesar is going to Napoli on loan with an option to buy now, wages ended up being a stumbling block with us apparently. I hope this isn't a signal of things to come.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Looks like Cesar is going to Napoli on loan with an option to buy now, wages ended up being a stumbling block with us apparently. I hope this isn't a signal of things to come.

He's on £90,000 a week and would be at best second choice. He'd hardly even be worth it on half that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Quite clearly trying to be extremely pedantic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Quite clearly trying to be extremely pedantic :)

Not wishing to be pedantic*, but the original situation had absolutely nothing to do with pedantry at all. More to do with being a stickler or some such.

*Totally want to be pedantic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Mickeroo wrote: »

And Jovetic seems to be heading to City. Hope we arent left holding our dicks at the end of it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I'm gonna try and catch the Vietnam game. Was hoping I'd have a picture with all the new signings to post, but as it stands I don't think I'll be going crazy chasing down Sanogo! Doubt I'll get near the players either way.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement