Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If Suarez stays in England after his media jibe every little thing he does will be plastered across the red tops.

The guy is one of the ebst players in the league, easily, but his mentality and stability is questionnable at best.

It cant simply be written off as a desire to win as others have that trait and arent invovled in some many incidents.

I'd have Saurez over Rooney at Chelsea if I had my way but I just cant see him staying in the EPL really.

Soups123 wrote: »
    This really won't come into it much if at all, we could spend 80m on player and he could miss the first few games. If Arsenal are planning right it will be with medium to long term goals.

I do think his rep worldwide is sketchy and at a time when we are pushing on commercially there is the fear he could cause some problems.

In saying that I would have him NP

Yeah but we are dealing with 100% certainty on the suspension thing and its not his first time either. Its not a case of 'hypothetically such and so player could get injured/red card and miss games'. We know of this and yet are still willing to pay at least double the amount and perhaps 3 times to secure his signing.

I dont like the way he has tried to engineer a move away either after Liverpool standing by him the way they did. He put 2 different managers in 2 different difficult situations with his carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

My concern would be that as a club Liverpool really went out and backed him, to the clubs detriment at times. For him to up and leave for an English club would be a huge kick in the balls.

Atleast if he goes abroad it shows he had some respect!

If he did come to Arsenal how long before he is purring at Barca or Madrid.

i really dont see this happening there are too many sides to the deal.

Yeah but we are dealing with 100% certainty on the suspension thing and its not his first time either. Its not a case of 'hypothetically such and so player could get injured/red card and miss games'. We know of this and yet are still willing to pay at least double the amount and perhaps 3 times to secure his signing.

I dont like the way he has tried to engineer a move away either after Liverpool standing by him the way they did. He put 2 different managers in 2 different difficult situations with his carry on.

Snap.

My point that if Arsenal really want him, over a 5 year deal the first few games should have very little impact on the deal. He is high risk but at times so was Denis and RVP in his early days. You would think he is hitting an age of maturity, and he is quality and proven in the PL.

My concern would be that as a club Liverpool really went out and backed him, to the clubs detriment at times. For him to up and leave for an English club would be a huge kick in the balls.

Atleast if he goes abroad it shows he had some respect!

If he did come to Arsenal how long before he is purring at Barca or Madrid.

i really dont see this happening there are too many sides to the deal.

Besides i think Higuain is as good and alot cheaper. Id prefer to just get Higuain and along with Walcott, Giroud and Pod we'll have a potent strikeforce next season.

Besides i think Higuain is as good and alot cheaper. Id prefer to just get Higuain and along with Walcott, Giroud and Pod we'll have a potent strikeforce next season.

I'd prefer him too as he'll be an all round better package but he is unproven in the PL, although you would expect he'll deliver

Snap.

My point that if Arsenal really want him, over a 5 year deal the first few games should have very little impact on the deal. He is high risk but at times so was Denis and RVP in his early days. You would think he is hitting an age of maturity, and he is quality and proven in the PL.

Suarez is 26 and RVP joined us as a 20 year old back in 2004 for 2.75m so the risk factor wasnt there as much. Denis was a player who needed a change badly. For the time we paid big money for him i suppose but as a character he was ice cool with terrific leadership qualities
    This is 40m for a proven nutter.....way too risky. Entertainment aplenty no doubt but alot of baggage and disrepute ahead if we press ahead with this one

I'd prefer him too as he'll be an all round better package but he is unproven in the PL, although you would expect he'll deliver

No doubt he will. Finishing wise he is ruthless alot like the way his fellow countryman Gabriel Batistuta was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

But the strong counter argument is that he is no good off the pitch suspended and he has form in this regard. Also consider the money we are paying for him and the wages he'll get. A potential £40m for a player who'll miss the first few games of the season. Great player he may be but a huge huge risk factor involved. You have to allow the fact there could possibly be a witch hunt on his back also

he'll miss 4 games, i think, big deal. He could get suspended again possibly but wilshere could get injured again too, should he be let go just in case that happens or is he worth keeping?
    Same with Saurez, he's worth the potential games he could miss

There's risk factors involved in ever transfer, Higuain could sign & struggle to adapt to life in england, etc.

HazDanz wrote: »
    Disagree. You cannot lump throwing Pizza or squaring up to someone on the pitch to a lad who bites and has been unforgiven about racist slurs.

Class doesn't win trophies but for me keeping a clean club image, which it has at the moment is pretty important. Why go for a guy with a load of baggage when we can, for the money being thrown around get someone who could deliver who would not bring that wild dog streak with them?

you can't no but the point was where was this concern about class then?

I'm not really bothered about what he has done in the past, i don't what to get into it either, it's what he can do on the pitch is all the concerns me

Saurez would be a better signing than Higuain or Rooney i think, that's why

Being a winning team is more important on the financial side, which i think you're talking about about than being clean cut choirboys scraping fourth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I like to see Arsenal as a classy club and signing a scumbag like him would sit uncomfortably with me.

Well I see Arsenal as a heavenly club and we all know to forgive is divine

And he would be available for the ECL qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Has the boss given an interview today? SSN saying "We will hear from Arsene Wenger soon"...

batistuta9 wrote: »
    he'll miss 4 games, i think, big deal. He could get suspended again possibly but wilshere could get injured again too, should he be let go just in case that happens or is he worth keeping?
    Same with Saurez, he's worth the potential games he could miss

There's risk factors involved in ever transfer, Higuain could sign & struggle to adapt to life in england, etc.

you can't no but the point was where was this concern about class then?

I'm not really bothered about what he has done in the past, i don't what to get into it either, it's what he can do on the pitch is all the concerns me

Saurez would be a better signing than Higuain or Rooney i think, that's why

Being a winning team is more important on the financial side, which i think you're talking about about than being clean cut choirboys scraping fourth.

There is a good core in our current squad and the big factor is we haven't had strength in depth since taking the budgeted approach to transfers.

The fact we are getting fourth at the very least year on year is a testament to that. If our squad had been stronger then we may have challenged for titles but the fact is we just didnt have the strength in numbers for when we got injuries and suspensions and yes alot of signings didnt work out but they were all we could afford in all honesty.

Personally Higuain is a better fit then Suarez any day of the week and cheaper too. I think he'd bang em in in England

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Has the boss given an interview today? SSN saying "We will hear from Arsene Wenger soon"...

Usual SSN trying to draw Wenger out and AW either dismissive straight off or keeping coy. "Suarez/Higuain is one of many options we are looking at blah blah blah"

I dont think he has given many interviews the past while due to hols etc so we might finally get an insight into any transfer activity. The level of his coyness may prove an indicator :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Usual SSN trying to draw Wenger out and AW either dismissive straight off or keeping coy. "Suarez/Higuain is one of many options we are looking at blah blah blah"

I dont think he has given many interviews the past while due to hols etc so we might finally get an insight into any transfer activity. The level of his coyness may prove an indicator :D

And the wry troll smile he is so fond off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

No doubt he will. Finishing wise he is ruthless alot like the way his fellow countryman Gabriel Batistuta was.

Batistuta was from Argentina !! But i get what your saying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

wawaman wrote: »
    Batistuta was from Argentina !! But i get what your saying

He was talking about Higuain, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

maximoose wrote: »
    He was talking about Higuain, no?

Yeh sorry my mistake. The heat and lack of transfers has me fried !!:o

wawaman wrote: »
    Yeh sorry my mistake. The heat and lack of transfers has me fried !!:o

Bullshít. Your probably a TD who was up drinking with his mates til 5am. :D

Clement Grenier has signed a new 2 year contract with Lyon
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8820590/Clement-Grenier-signs-new-Lyon-deal-to-end-Arsenal-speculation

there's one to cross off the potential list anyway

Clement Grenier has signed a new 2 year contract with Lyon
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8820590/Clement-Grenier-signs-new-Lyon-deal-to-end-Arsenal-speculation

there's one to cross off the potential list anyway

If it was us trying to fend off Barca/Real it would mean fúck all except perhaps insurance on getting a bigger fee

• Advertisement

If it was us trying to fend off Barca/Real it would mean fúck all except perhaps insurance on getting a bigger fee

what?

what?

Just suggesting that if we were in the same situation as Lyon were with Grenier, signing a contract would mean little to the vultures except securing a bigger fee for ourselves in negotiations

Just suggesting that if we were in the same situation as Lyon were with Grenier, signing a contract would mean little to the vultures except securing a bigger fee for ourselves in negotiations

I would agree with you if it was back at January time but in this window to do that to their own fans would be pretty sh*tty wouldn't it?

no probably not, could put it off for a year though

a Brazilian site is reporting interest in Bernard and might bid in the next 11 days, an extract, google translated
    The Super FC also found that an emissary Brazilian market on the ball, which is in London, was with the entrepreneur Giuliano Bertolucci, responsible for the career of Bernard. In a conversation between the parties, Bertolucci would have revealed that Arsenal have on hand a complete study of statistics and the extra-field behavior of the attacking midfielder of Atletico. And to do that the proposal by the player, the English team would dispense even sending a technical observer to Brazil.
    http://www.otempo.com.br/superfc/arsenal-entra-na-briga-para-contratar-bernard-1.679790

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I don't thin he meant as a release clause more as it will take 40million to get Liverpool to let him go.

As for Suarez, well give me Higuain/ Suarez/ Rooney in that order were I to have a choice.

Suarez is a liability and bad for the reputation of the club with his antics, and dismiss that all you want but reputation goes along way in todays football economics, which can help drive the club forward. But it this way say in America were football mightnt be highly televised but a Suarez biting incident gets big media coverage do you really think big companies will be falling all over themselves to get in business with us No, do you think fans will see that and we will become the club to hate YES two causing two big losses of revenue.

PLus he could spend half his time suspended.

Would I still take him yes he has bundles of talent and is a great player but for the club on and off the pitch give me Higuain anyday over him.

I would agree with you if it was back at January time but in this window to do that to their own fans would be pretty sh*tty wouldn't it?

Money talks in football and fans are fickle enough. Lyon have form when it comes to selling. Tying Grenier down to a new contract might put him into a different price range and give Lyon more bargain power but thats all it does

Ive seen so many key players leaving Arsenal since i started supporting them around 1990 that each time a great player leaves, that bitter sting of sorrow lasts for less and less time each time it happens. The odd tinge when i see them scoring for United all right but generally i get over it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

But the strong counter argument is that he is no good off the pitch suspended and he has form in this regard. Also consider the money we are paying for him and the wages he'll get. A potential £40m for a player who'll miss the first few games of the season. Great player he may be but a huge huge risk factor involved. You have to allow the fact there could possibly be a witch hunt on his back also

lots of past arsenal players have been like that before they met wenger. wenger has the ability to change a players attitude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Clement Grenier signed a new 2 year deal i guess thats one target we definitly won't be getting :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I don't thin he meant as a release clause more as it will take 40million to get Liverpool to let him go.

As for Suarez, well give me Higuain/ Suarez/ Rooney in that order were I to have a choice.

Suarez is a liability and bad for the reputation of the club with his antics, and dismiss that all you want but reputation goes along way in todays football economics, which can help drive the club forward. But it this way say in America were football mightnt be highly televised but a Suarez biting incident gets big media coverage do you really think big companies will be falling all over themselves to get in business with us No, do you think fans will see that and we will become the club to hate YES two causing two big losses of revenue.

PLus he could spend half his time suspended.

Would I still take him yes he has bundles of talent and is a great player but for the club on and off the pitch give me Higuain anyday over him.

I think this overplayed in my opinion, I dont think it has affected liverpool economics in any way. No publicity is bad publicity in this and age, most owners dont know **** all about football and comapanies have short memories, just look at tiger woods. Suarez would be a fantastic signing for any club. He does get suspended a bit but he is never injured so it does even out a bit.

lots of past arsenal players have been like that before they met wenger. wenger has the ability to change a players attitude

He does. but alot of players have given him a proverbial 2 fingers too for all he done for them. Look at Van Persie.

Then you have the dross like Arshavin and Bendtner who just collect their wages every week and give little back (Bendy Boots look like he still will)

• Advertisement

The endorsements thing dont worry me too much re Suarez...its how often he'll be out on the field. He is a ticking time bomb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The endorsements thing dont worry me too much re Suarez...its how often he'll be out on the field. He is a ticking time bomb.

He played 33 league games for liverpool last year.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think this overplayed in my opinion, I dont think it has affected liverpool economics in any way. No publicity is bad publicity in this and age, most owners dont know **** all about football and comapanies have short memories, just look at tiger woods. Suarez would be a fantastic signing for any club. He does get suspended a bit but he is never injured so it does even out a bit.

I honestly don't think it is, if a player at you club becomes hate figure which Suarez to a certain degree or has become for some people its going to discourage kids to follow said club loss in future revenue and it will keep sponsors away and make deal harder, Tiger Wodds was a bad example his earnings still are quite a bit off from what they were in the height of his fame and fortune ;) kinda proving my point :P.

I don't know about that excuse either players get injured but taking a player on in the notion sure he never gets injured any game he will miss will probably just be down to some randoming biting incident or racist comment just sounds like mad rationing.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

Just from BBC...

"BBC Sport's David Ornstein: "Arsenal are pursuing Real Madrid's Gonzalo Higuain and Liverpool's Luis Suarez at the same time. They are only interested in signing one of the strikers, but one is likely to slip away so by going after both they hope to end up with the other.

"Higuain will take time because the clubs cannot agree a fee and, although the player is keen to join, the arrival of Carlo Ancelotti as Real manager has complicated things because he apparently wants Higuain to stay"

imtdub wrote: »
    Just from BBC...

"BBC Sport's David Ornstein: "Arsenal are pursuing Real Madrid's Gonzalo Higuain and Liverpool's Luis Suarez at the same time. They are only interested in signing one of the strikers, but one is likely to slip away so by going after both they hope to end up with the other.

"Higuain will take time because the clubs cannot agree a fee and, although the player is keen to join, the arrival of Carlo Ancelotti as Real manager has complicated things because he apparently wants Higuain to stay"

Another chapter for that fabled Wenger Autobiography so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Just from BBC...

I'd be over the moon with either. Just as long as one of them come in

Imagine the football Wenger could get out of Suarez in his peak tho! The more I think about it the more I want him ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

for once we're after real big names, not just the hogwash of every year....

for once we're after real big names, not just the hogwash of every year....

It's hogwash until we actually get one ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

It's like chasing 2 birds at a party, we'll end up going home alone i tells ya!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Tom many hurdles in the way of getting Suarez just sign hig ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

People saying they dont want a world class player in Suarez because he might have the occasional suspension has to be the dumbest thing yet.

Anyone could end up suspended at any time. Saying no to a world class player is stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    People saying they dont want a world class player in Suarez because he might have the occasional suspension has to be the dumbest thing yet.

Anyone could end up suspended at any time. Saying no to a world class player is stupid.

For racism and biting players? No thanks.

Any of the Asia tour games on the telly?

jonny666 wrote: »
    Any of the Asia tour games on the telly?

I think all of it is on ESPN.

TheBza wrote: »
    I think all of it is on ESPN.

Oh nice one. Are they in really late??

• Advertisement

Sunday 14.45 kick off. Heres the times on Arsenal.com

edit: Thats Indonesia time, 8.30pm local time it says.

http://www.arsenal.com/fixtures/first-team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

They'd be on early, asia is ahead time wise

They'd be on early, asia is ahead time wise

Haha my bad!

Quarter to 3 is grand on a Sunday!!

I honestly don't think it is, if a player at you club becomes hate figure which Suarez to a certain degree or has become for some people its going to discourage kids to follow said club loss in future revenue and it will keep sponsors away and make deal harder, Tiger Wodds was a bad example his earnings still are quite a bit off from what they were in the height of his fame and fortune ;) kinda proving my point :P.

John Terry hasn't stopped kids supporting Chelsea or them getting a good 10 year kit deal - hate figure right there, Giggs antics off field didn't stop Man U getting great deals. Real Madrid have a few unlikeable players they're hardly in taters financially

Of course Woods' earnings aren't the same as the height of his fame - why would they be if he's not at the top anymore?

this thing about it effecting income is being blown out of all proportion, companies want to be associated with winning teams, kids start supporting winning teams, something Saurez could push arsenal towards

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement