Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Tried being the operative word in that sentence!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That'd be fine if he was a central midfielder, but he plays in Santi's position or on the flanks and is a passenger.

Being in the same position is irrelevant, he doesn't have to get the exact same results as Santi to have put in a good performance on the pitch.

Plus he's a squad player these days who often starts on the bench so isn't required to be at the level of our star player. If all our back up players were as solid as Rosicky we'd be in a very good position imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

That'd be fine if he was a central midfielder, but he plays in Santi's position or on the flanks and is a passenger.

Frankly, I'd rather keep Gervinho.

Load of rubbish to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Tried being the operative word in that sentence!

At least he was trying compared to others!!

Re Cesc, most places are reporting that 25million bid. BBC and all. Surely if he is leaving Barca we would try to get him. Do we need him? Id have him back in a heart beat but cant see Barca selling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Rosicky has really been unlucky with injuries in his Arsenal career, would of showed an awful lot more only for that, he reminds me alot of Modric, real busy player whos not afraid to run at you and has an eye for goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

With UTD bidding for Cesc does that automatically mean that Arsene will go in for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Do we not have first refusal on any move for Cesc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

We do, but Cesc has to want to come back. Think we have a set price though if he does.

And refuse is probably what we'll do as per f**cking usual.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Being in the same position is irrelevant, he doesn't have to get the exact same results as Santi to have put in a good performance on the pitch.
    It is relevant; being able to score goals and/or create chances isn't optional for a player in the front four. Yeah Rosicky looks neat and tidy and is good at recycling possession, but that isn't terribly useful for a player in his position. Just tends to blunt our attack. He doesn't have to be as good as Santi as obviously he isn't a first team player, but he's not even close. At their current rates Santi will have more goals and assists than Rosicky by December/Jan, and Rosicky has been here 7 years. It's an awful return.
    Plus he's a squad player these days who often starts on the bench so isn't required to be at the level of our star player. If all our back up players were as solid as Rosicky we'd be in a very good position imo.
    Thankfully his appearances were mercifully few last season alright, but Chamberlain, Gervinho, Diaby, Ramsey, Monreal, Vermaelen, Jenkinson and Fabianski are all better back-up options for their relevant positions than Rosicky.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dome italian sports journo on twitter (I know I know) saying Chelsea and Napoli have made contact with Real about Higuain and also that Real are going to offer Higgy to Liverpool in part exchange for Suarez.

https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Only if he specifically requests that he wants to return to Arsenal, otherwise they can sell them to whoever they want and we get half of whatever profit is made on the transaction over what we sold him for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Dome italian sports journo on twitter (I know I know) saying Chelsea and Napoli have made contact with Real about Higuain and also that Real are going to offer Higgy to Liverpool in part exchange for Suarez.

That guys a chief nob head, must have claimed jovetic to arsenal was a done deal a dozen times. Ignore.

It is relevant; being able to score goals and/or create chances isn't optional for a player in the front four. Yeah Rosicky looks neat and tidy and is good at recycling possession, but that isn't terribly useful for a player in his position. Just tends to blunt our attack. He doesn't have to be as good as Santi as obviously he isn't a first team player, but he's not even close. At their current rates Santi will have more goals and assists than Rosicky by December/Jan, and Rosicky has been here 7 years. It's an awful return.

Thankfully his appearances were mercifully few last season alright, but Chamberlain, Gervinho, Diaby, Ramsey, Monreal, Vermaelen, Jenkinson and Fabianski are all better back-up options for their relevant positions than Rosicky.

Completely disagree with all of that, we oblviously see two different players when it comes to Rosicky I guess.

People in the United thread seem to think that we get 50% of any transfer involving Cesc! Any truth to that???

Edited cause i just seen Jesters post above!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

If Cesc goes to United it'll further erode any belief I have that players have any sense of loyalty these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

If Cesc goes to United it'll further erode any belief I have that players have any sense of loyalty these days!

Just give it up mate.

Like a plaster rip it out of your system now. take the hit in one go cause you're eventually gonna get your heart broken.

Torres and Suarez later I HAVE LEARNED.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

That was sounding maybe even slightly plausible until he said Higuain in a swap plus cash move for Suarez there's no way in hell would Higuain agree to that.
    Leiva wrote: »
    Just give it up mate.

Like a plaster rip it out of your system now. take the hit in one go cause you're eventually gonna get your heart broken.

Torres and Suarez later I HAVE LEARNED.

We know that pain as Arsenal fans but I do still think there are some players who are loyal it's just becoming rarer and rarer these days, but some like Totti and Gerrard do still exist.

On Fabregas if United do go after him and we do have first refusal and a set price but don't go in for him I'll be livid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭ronjo

Completely disagree with all of that, we oblviously see two different players when it comes to Rosicky I guess.

I fully agree with you here.
    Wenger even said at a q&a a few months ago that Rosicky was the most popular player among the squad to be on the pitch. The other players love playing with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

*If Arsenal have a 50% sell on clause with Barca as part of the Cesc deal and a back back fee of €25 does that mean if we buy him at that price we get €12.5m back :P

:pac:

*Obviously not

Can't seem to find it on Youtube but I remember a compilation of Rosicky's slide tackles, brilliant stuff.

Also would any Liverpool fan care to post their with/without Suarez win percentages? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

i'm worried about the liverpool-real higuain-suarez rumors. I hope we're not left holding our d1cks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Very hard to imagine Higuain would agree to that in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

bad2dabone wrote: »
    i'm worried about the liverpool-real higuain-suarez rumors. I hope we're not left holding our d1cks.

Haha, such a saying!
    That made me laugh.

I hate that it's now mid July and we've done nothing.
    Patience, I know, but it would be of great benefit to get these lads in and involved in a pre-season for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Haha, such a saying!
    That made me laugh.

I hate that it's now mid July and we've done nothing.
    Patience, I know, but it would be of great benefit to get these lads in and involved in a pre-season for once.
    Imagine the settling in a new striker could be doing now on the Asian tour. Ridiculous that we are unable to get our business wrapped up early when Wenger would have known from the end of last season where we need to strengthen, and would've had his preferred signings picked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Quazzie wrote: »
    Imagine the settling in a new striker could be doing now on the Asian tour. Ridiculous that we are unable to get our business wrapped up early when Wenger would have known from the end of last season where we need to strengthen, and would've had his preferred signings picked.

Maybe it's not wenger maybe it's ye other club too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

If the worst comes to the worst and we don't sign anybody I can see there been a huge backlash from us fans and rightfully so, its looking less and less likely now that Higuain will be signing for us sick over that because I was boasting to all the lads that it was a done deal :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

United may have done us a favour by bidding for cesc. Just watched an interview where he said he would only come back for arsenal. If barca aceept it they tell him they dont want homa and open the door for his return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Apparently United have only offered £25m. What was that about the Suarez offer being a low ball one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

United may have done us a favour by bidding for cesc. Just watched an interview where he said he would only come back for arsenal. If barca aceept it they tell him they dont want homa and open the door for his return

Very short sighted from Barca if they get rid of him. The lad can if given the responsibility can control a game.

Edit: Love to see him back tbh. Him and a new quality striker would make our first team an excellent one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

United may have done us a favour by bidding for cesc. Just watched an interview where he said he would only come back for arsenal. If barca accept it they tell him they dont want homa and open the door for his return

PR jargon/damage limitation/ trying to keep fans onside after effectively going on strike to force a move away from the club.

I'd love to see him back, but we should all know by know to take statements of loyalty/love for a club with a massive pinch of salt. I highly doubt he'll go to United, I just can't see him leaving Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

jordainius wrote: »
    PR jargon/damage limitation/ trying to keep fans onside after effectively going on strike to force a move away from the club.

I'd love to see him back, but we should all know by know to take statements of loyalty/love for a club with a massive pinch of salt. I highly doubt he'll go to United, I just can't see him leaving Barcelona.

That's what we are discussing in the United thread. Just does not make sense in the slightest for him to leave now (another year on for Xavi / World Cup season ahead / Thiago now gone) and I don't see how United can actually secure him (Fabregas would have to push move / Barcelona don't want to sell / Thiago now gone / United bidding a paltry amount)

Denis Irwin did call it pretty much spot on in June though. First he said that we would bid for Baines and Shaw (reports of Baines bid already surfaced), that Nani and Evra would both leave for Monaco (again, grains of truth to both) and that United would move "heaven and earth" to sign Cesc after receiving the right messages from his camp on a potential move.

The only thing is I wouldn't call £25m moving heaven and earth. More like just breaking wind to impress the lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Have been stung by RVP and loyality but would have to believe that Cesc wouldn't go back on his word esp as AW still in charge.

Have you a link to that i/v?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Have been stung by RVP and loyality but would have to believe that Cesc wouldn't go back on his word esp as AW still in charge.

Have you a link to that i/v?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfedR3WUOok

Yeah stung by RVP too but I believe cesc. If he went to united it would kill me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

10th most valuable team in the world according to Forbes, only Real, Utd & Barcelona ahead of us in football.

jester77 wrote: »
    10th most valuable team in the world according to Forbes, only Real, Utd & Barcelona ahead of us in football.
    The club still has a lot of unrealised potential alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

That (cesc interview )was 18 months ago and arsenal haven't strengtened since he went,in fact
    Probably weekened in that period .
    Also 200k a week might turn his head .

I wouldn't hold going to united against cesc if we don't actually bid for him. If we're actually in for him and he goes there I'd be pissed though.

Doubt Barca will sell him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Barca won't sell him and Thiago. With Thiago gone to Bayern, that means Cesc isn't leaving unless he forces it through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

So if we have first refusal on Cesc *if* he does want to leave barca, thats a big if, will we actually bid? Can't see it myself. I absolutely refuse to believe anymore that players "hold a club in their hearts" and if Oil money of 150+k a week were to come in the equation then he won't play for us for less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think if Barca are willing to sell we will bid doesn't mean he will want to come though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I'm here watching the unbeaten 49 game run and realised I was at the 4-1 defeat of Leeds in Elland Road at the start of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

IMO United have the same chance as arsenal buying Surez for 30m as u do for fabregas i.e very very slim chance.

i have a question for u all. what if barca do agree terms but fabregas says no? Clubs cant force a player out and as someone clearly noted, Fabregas apparantly played more games then xavi and iniesta last year.

It seems that fabregas is becoming more of a important first team role at Barcelona so why would they sell and sell for peanuts ie 30m?

Come to think of it, fabregas going to United is more of a slim chance of surez going to arsenal. Surez actually wants to leave and Liverpool have indicated how they have been annoyed at him for his on and off field antics.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Why would Fabregas want to come back? Very little has changed since he left, we're still not winning trophies and scrapping for 4th every season. Maybe if we'd made some statement of intent in the transfer market he might consider it but its the same old story there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

keano_afc wrote: »
    Why would Fabregas want to come back? Very little has changed since he left, we're still not winning trophies and scrapping for 4th every season. Maybe if we'd made some statement of intent in the transfer market he might consider it but its the same old story there too.

There's no chance he would go back to us. He was very quiet and dignified during the final twelve months but we have no idea how bad it may have gone. The team has absolutely regressed without him too.

If we lose out on Higuain and Suarez, and Fabregas joins United (I can't see Barca selling him but if they accept the bid I'm sure he'll move), Arsenal will have officially become a laughingstock. This summer has been very, very frustrating and the negotiations for Wenger's contract extension are absolutely NOT what I want to hear right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Barca selling Fabregas would be nuts.

My Barca supporting mate is always joking about how they have an amazing first team and nothing else but to get Neymar in and sell Villa, Thiago and Fabregas would just be nuts.

First team: Neymar, Messi, Pedro, Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets ...

Back up: Song? Sanchez?

Fabregas is a very important player for them.

F365 called it right in saying what the hell are Utd doing bidding far too little for a player they won't get that doesn't want to leave.

jester77 wrote: »

I didnt realise we were worth that much. More then Baryen like. Was surprised Chelsea was in there too

gosplan wrote: »
    F365 called it right in saying what the hell are Utd doing bidding far too little for a player they won't get that doesn't want to leave.

absolutely, its bizarre. I'd be shocked if barca sold him, they've got a small enough squad and he's a very important player for them. Especially after losing Thiago.
    I've no idea what United are at bidding 30 m euro for him.

There's no chance he would go back to us. He was very quiet and dignified during the final twelve months but we have no idea how bad it may have gone. The team has absolutely regressed without him too.
    I don’t think we’ve really regressed; Fabregas and van Persie’s departures just set us back to the point where we’ve effectively been treading water. Tottenham have improved a lot in the last two seasons which has made it look like we've gotten worse, but overall we've pretty much remained the same.

He’s certainly not leaving Barca now though.

• Advertisement

Would you rather live in Barcelona, sunny, you're hometown, all that good stuff. Play with Messi. Neymar. Xavi. Iniesta. Win your league, be perennial CL contenders.
    Or.
    Live in Manchester. Rainy. Dull. Grotty. Skanks. Play with Anderson. Buttner. Fletcher. Nani. Under Moyes. In uncertain times. Not be CL contenders really. Not even gonna win the league.

It’s a no brainer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement