Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

ah now i haven't seen Vietnam take this kinda beating since Rambo 2.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    the good thing about the 40m is:
    1) its not mine or your money :)
    2) we're making at least an extra 30m a year

Won't happen IMO, we have had one bid rejected, that will be enough for Wenger.
    He never tests the water, he just bids what he feels is a realistic value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Zelalem's passing is absolutely outrageous

The Eisman cometh.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

I think Rambo will be a big player this season for us, have to say I used to give out a lot about him though...

• Advertisement

Miquel now, nice strike

Miquel with no.7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I hope we don't think we're this good and as a result fail to buy.
    The teams we are playing on this tour are hopeless.
    This is just a workout.

I hope we don't think we're this good and as a result fail to buy.
    The teams we are playing on this tour are hopeless.
    This is just a workout.

It's nice to see such a confidence in the team all the same

Vietnam score......and the shirt comes off :pac:

• Advertisement

Typical Arsenal.

Letting in another late goal :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Typical Arsenal.

They're all over us in the last 45 seconds.

Typical Arsenal.

To be fair how could the goalkeeper have known anything about it, even the striker who scored it knew nothing about it :D
    Classy goal all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

We are going to win the league after that performance :D

revenge for the 8-2 killing that united inflicted on us is nigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

How pointless those last two games were. Sh*t teams. Hope the Japanese can bring something at least a little more challenging for the lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Some people have realised that "squad depth" is irrelevant when the starting 11 isn't good enough. All the signings made in the last few years served to maintain position and absolutely nothing else. There was always the financial excuse (which hasn't cut the mustard in several years) and once again it looks like just beating Spurs for 4th is going to be the target for a lot of people next year.
    Last season United signed a Dutch lad as a marquee signing and it was the bump they needed to win the league. Before that City bought all around themselves. Before the 97/98 season we signed Overmars and Petit (and Anelka in February beforehand). Hell, before the 01/02 season we bought some useless players for big money and somehow moved up to win the league. Before 03/04 we signed Reyes and Lehmann. There was also Fabregas and RVP but they're turned out well more than being marquee signings.

Anyway, my point is that marquee signings generally seem to have an impact greater than the contribution of that one player in that one position. We had 4 signings last year all get into the 1st team and all it did was make us stand still.

Then there's the classic "ah sure everything's fine" bull****. We finished a single point clear of them last season and they've improved while we haven't. I don't generally buy into media stuff so maybe we actually have something lined up but from what we actually know there's nothing to say 4th should be ours next season.
    And once again we're back to talking about 4th place.

Nothing is guaranteed but anyone who wouldn't want Higuain over Giroud wants their head examined.

It's not that we don't need signings and it's not that Higuain wouldn't improve the team.

The issue I have us people saying 'ffs this is all Wenger's fault. Just pay Madrid whatever they're asking for'

If Wenger thinks Suarez is worth more than Higuain, then he should go for him. It might work out and it might not but the idea that instead of letting him make decisions like that, what he should do instead is sign the first Marquee player the fans like the look of at whatever price is rediculous. It's the way Barca and Madrid do business and they piss money away.

Really good atmosphere in Hanoi tonight where I was watching the match.. Vietnamese people cheering the Arsenal goals as much as their own. Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

gosplan wrote: »
    It's not that we don't need signings and it's not that Higuain wouldn't improve the team.

The issue I have us people saying 'ffs this is all Wenger's fault. Just pay Madrid whatever they're asking for'

If Wenger thinks Suarez is worth more than Higuain, then he should go for him. It might work out and it might not but the idea that instead of letting him make decisions like that, what he should do instead is sign the first Marquee player the fans like the look of at whatever price is rediculous. It's the way Barca and Madrid do business and they piss money away.
    "The first marquee player the fans like the look of"? This season marks 10 years since Arsenal won the league. 10. ****ing. Years. It's time to either try to compete or give up as far as I'm concerned.

And as it happens we have too much money to be fussy. We should have something like 50 million in cash, add the improved sponsorship and TV deals to cover wages and we should easily be able to afford 70 million for transfers with enough to cover wages.
    Unfortunately it seems some fans have bought into a deluded view of the market. Somehow the more money the club has the more "overvalued" they see everything. If you have €10 to spend on sweets and an ice-cream costs €5, you might think it's overvalued. If you have €50 and an ice-cream costs €5 then it doesn't seem so bad. Why Arsenal (and some of the fans) have gone the other way absolutely baffles me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Really good atmosphere in Hanoi tonight where I was watching the match.. Vietnamese people cheering the Arsenal goals as much as their own. Good times.

Thinly veiled, im in Hanoi post :rolleyes:

:D:D:D:D:P:P:P:P

Would we sell much goods/merchandise over there, or is it not just all black market fake stuff?

bad2dabone wrote: »
    revenge for the 8-2 killing that united inflicted on us is nigh

Id take a point from both games against UTD right now if offered!

Would we sell much goods/merchandise over there, or is it not just all black market fake stuff?

Id say it all comes from the same factory tbh

Aye well it's not a boast to be living here, don't worry. The rain on the TV was 15 mins edit:drive away and it just got to me a while ago. Alley outside my house flooding to about half a foot now.

I did make the point at the table this evenin that coming here to boost merchandise wasn't a good idea.. Won't be a single real jersey sold. My mates were buying the kit today for less that $5.

Ah Button...

You should get out into the Sun and away from Arsenal stuff until the season starts. At least have a reason for your whinging posts instead of just attacking Arsenal all the time.

Out of interest, (I can't be a*sed going through your previous posts) have you ever said a good word about Arsenal (other than directly after a win)?

Your posts are getting well tiring mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

"The first marquee player the fans like the look of"? This season marks 10 years since Arsenal won the league. 10. ****ing. Years. It's time to either try to compete or give up as far as I'm concerned.

And as it happens we have too much money to be fussy. We should have something like 50 million in cash, add the improved sponsorship and TV deals to cover wages and we should easily be able to afford 70 million for transfers with enough to cover wages.
    Unfortunately it seems some fans have bought into a deluded view of the market. Somehow the more money the club has the more "overvalued" they see everything. If you have €10 to spend on sweets and an ice-cream costs €5, you might think it's overvalued. If you have €50 and an ice-cream costs €5 then it doesn't seem so bad. Why Arsenal (and some of the fans) have gone the other way absolutely baffles me.

Hmmm I wonder will Gazidis try and market a "10 Year Anniversary" T-Shirt.

Ah Button...

You should get out into the Sun and away from Arsenal stuff until the season starts. At least have a reason for your whinging posts instead of just attacking Arsenal all the time.

Out of interest, (I can't be a*sed going through your previous posts) have you ever said a good word about Arsenal (other than directly after a win)?

Your posts are getting well tiring mate.
    Looking forward to another 4th place trophy?

Excellent posting btw, name-calling, not actually addressing any points, just maintaining the "everything is fantastic" narrative. Maybe if you actually tried engaging in debate you might change your views. Of course you're not the only one, seems like a lot of people on this thread don't want to think we should be doing any better.

It wouldn't take a lot (but you're above doing so) to see that I've said plenty positive about Arsenal, perhaps overdoing it at points.

• Advertisement

HazDanz wrote: »
    How pointless those last two games were. Sh*t teams. Hope the Japanese can bring something at least a little more challenging for the lads.

€€€€€€€€€€£££££££££££££££$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Zelalem looks like he could be quite the player for us in the future. His passing today was pretty sweet, especially his through ball to Chamberlain for Akpoms goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Here's another...

Just back from the match. Amazing atmosphere, especially when they scored. Hard to believe it was a friendly, the crowd were so good. Had to bribe our way in because it looked like a full house, but loved every minute of it, especially posing for poctures with randomers and trying to talk to them even with the language barrier!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

United executive leaves tour to apparantly seal a deal for cesc.

It will break my heart to see him and that dutch twat both play in the same team next year

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

It will break my heart to see him and that dutch twat both play in the same team next year

Well he could be flying to complete the sale of Rooney to Chelsea though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

more like to sell Rooney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Clearly left United's tour to complete the sale of Vidic to Arsenal.

Smarten up, people.

i just threw up in my mouth.

Obviously we've been dissappointed as fans eith the soending of yhe club in previous transfer windows but I don't think you can really argue that that should have an impact on transfer and negotiation policy. There are kits of reasons we haven't won anything in years - paying Madrid whatever they want for Higuain will not make them go away.

Also, what if Wenger feels Suarez will make them compete more?

You lose me after that.

Look I don't want to get into a tit for tat for the rest of the day. I initially responded to someone who said 'just pay Madrid whatever or we'll end up with no-one, all Wenger and Gazidas fault'

What I was trying to say from the start is that we're a bit emotionally involved in Arsensl signing big but that doesn't mean it should happen just for the sake of it.

If you're reading this and totally disagree with me, then ask yourself - what do you really know about Higuain? It seems as though everyone here these days has been clued into all of Madrid's games for the last few years. And I gather we're not talking about the Classico's either because there he was generally a sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Stop doing this to yourself.

I know it's hard but just ignore all of it till something comes up on the Arsenal site.

People are do desperate for us to make an expensive signing that we're all assuming that Higuain is the most amazing striker of all time.

He's clearly not so good that Real are selling him

Or that City, Chelsea, Monaco and PSG are all in for him

Or that he got played over benzema

He's not the solution to everything we want him to be.

Arsenal have a valuation for him. They clearly have a higher valuation for Suarez, as do Real. I'm not saying ignore Higuain but let the club do it the normal way as opposed to 'pay them whatever they want now'

A lot of people are do wrapped up in this that they don't want it for football reasons anymore, they just want the transfer to go through.

For instance: are we guaranteed a better opening season with Higuain than Giroud had? Because Giroud this year will now doubt improve but someone's got to go on the bench.

We have a lot of areas to fix in this team and if we miss out on all of our main forward targets (Jovetic, Higuain, Rooney, Suarez), we will have wasted two months out of three doing nothing in the transfer market.

That kind of "Ah, well" logic is why we let ourselves lose out on Mata.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

jonny666 wrote: »
    more like to sell Rooney
    I hope so. Papers are saying its for cesc but they have got feck all else right so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

We have a lot of areas to fix in this team and if we miss out on all of our main forward targets (Jovetic, Higuain, Rooney, Suarez), we will have wasted two months out of three doing nothing in the transfer market.

That kind of "Ah, well" logic is why we let ourselves lose out on Mata.

A lot of areas to fix? Really? We may need some additional backup in defence, but other than that I don't really agree. The only position that I would like to see a player being bought for is a high quality striker. Jovetic was never going to happen, Higuain could yet and I don't care for the other two as they could turn out to be more destructive than anything else.

A lot of people on this thread have wasted their time trying to make the most out of every rumour that passes through twitter. That doesn't mean that Wenger/ the board/ the scouts/ whoever have been sitting on their hands doing nothing. In fact the less I hear, the more optimistic I would be that there is something going on i.e. people are working hard to get something done rather than just out spreading more BS rumours on twitter.

And for the record, the reason we lost out on Mata was not an "Ah, well!" logic. Thanks to the likes of twitter etc, it became obvious that we were interested in Mata and we lost out because Chelsea started throwing money at him that we couldn't match.

Obviously we've been dissappointed as fans eith the soending of yhe club in previous transfer windows but I don't think you can really argue that that should have an impact on transfer and negotiation policy. There are kits of reasons we haven't won anything in years - paying Madrid whatever they want for Higuain will not make them go away.

Also, what if Wenger feels Suarez will make them compete more?

You lose me after that.

Look I don't want to get into a tit for tat for the rest of the day. I initially responded to someone who said 'just pay Madrid whatever or we'll end up with no-one, all Wenger and Gazidas fault'

What I was trying to say from the start is that we're a bit emotionally involved in Arsensl signing big but that doesn't mean it should happen just for the sake of it.

If you're reading this and totally disagree with me, then ask yourself - what do you really know about Higuain? It seems as though everyone here these days has been clued into all of Madrid's games for the last few years. And I gather we're not talking about the Classico's either because there he was generally a sub.
    People are saying "pay them what they want" as a figure of speech because over the last few years it's really starting to look like a large part of the club (and groups of supporters) have this idea that players should worth much less than the rest of the market. There's a kind of fatalist faux-pride that has crept in with a lot of people, they are fine with never actually competing for anything because the club is "doing things the right way".

If people are happy with that, fine, I'm not. As long as we have massive cash reserves and aren't investing it in the squad while we cruise along I won't be happy with how the club is run. The new income streams this year mean we should still have a nice, clear profit even if we dropped 60-odd million on transfers this summer.
    But of course we have to keep that money in case we don't make the Top 4. What happens then? When we've fallen do we then start to take risks? Yeah right. It's a bull**** line swallowed by too many.

EDIT: As for following rumours and believing online stuff, I'm not on twitter and I've posted damn all here in the summer because I know most of the rumours are rubbish. I barely believe we've been in for any of the 3 main targets that keep getting mentioned. We're now 4 weeks from the start of the season dicking about in SE Asia and haven't signed anyone while Spurs have strengthened and Chelsea have Mourinho in. That's the long and short of it, no rumours, no hearsay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Looking forward to another 4th place trophy?

Excellent posting btw, name-calling, not actually addressing any points, just maintaining the "everything is fantastic" narrative. Maybe if you actually tried engaging in debate you might change your views. Of course you're not the only one, seems like a lot of people on this thread don't want to think we should be doing any better.

It wouldn't take a lot (but you're above doing so) to see that I've said plenty positive about Arsenal, perhaps overdoing it at points.

Aye maybe in the past when we were looking in the gutter for coins to get a young lad with potential - but now I see us with the money, with a decent squad and right now should be competing with the big boys for transfers. It's an insult to Wenger and to the fans if the club doesn't grab this transfer window by the balls and get us back where we belong with the signings they've boasted about being able to afford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

farna_boy wrote: »
    A lot of areas to fix? Really? We may need some additional backup in defence, but other than that I don't really agree. The only position that I would like to see a player being bought for is a high quality striker. Jovetic was never going to happen, Higuain could yet and I don't care for the other two as they could turn out to be more destructive than anything else.

A lot of people on this thread have wasted their time trying to make the most out of every rumour that passes through twitter. That doesn't mean that Wenger/ the board/ the scouts/ whoever have been sitting on their hands doing nothing. In fact the less I hear, the more optimistic I would be that there is something going on i.e. people are working hard to get something done rather than just out spreading more BS rumours on twitter.

And for the record, the reason we lost out on Mata was not an "Ah, well!" logic. Thanks to the likes of twitter etc, it became obvious that we were interested in Mata and we lost out because Chelsea started throwing money at him that we couldn't match.

Yep, we need a back-up cb, a new goalkeeper, a replacement for Song and a world class striker. You only want to see a striker bought? You think we'll finish higher than fourth with just one signing?

People are saying "pay them what they want" as a figure of speech because over the last few years it's really starting to look like a large part of the club (and groups of supporters) have this idea that players should worth much less than the rest of the market. There's a kind of fatalist faux-pride that has crept in with a lot of people, they are fine with never actually competing for anything because the club is "doing things the right way".

If people are happy with that, fine, I'm not. As long as we have massive cash reserves and aren't investing it in the squad while we cruise along I won't be happy with how the club is run. The new income streams this year mean we should still have a nice, clear profit even if we dropped 60-odd million on transfers this summer.
    But of course we have to keep that money in case we don't make the Top 4. What happens then? When we've fallen do we then start to take risks? Yeah right. It's a bull**** line swallowed by too many.

EDIT: As for following rumours and believing online stuff, I'm not on twitter and I've posted damn all here in the summer because I know most of the rumours are rubbish. I barely believe we've been in for any of the 3 main targets that keep getting mentioned. We're now 4 weeks from the start of the season dicking about in SE Asia and haven't signed anyone while Spurs have strengthened and Chelsea have Mourinho in. That's the long and short of it, no rumours, no hearsay.

I agree with nearly everything.

I'm mad for success though and for that reason would rather see up splash 50 million in Suarez.

Quality striker
    Could play wide as well

But mostly no risk - Higuain could flop.

Even if he agitated for a move in 2 years, we'd get do much from him in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I'd like if we could make the Ashley Williams move work. But 10 million is too much for him, especially as he wouldn't be considered a first-teamer. I think he would come in as 4th in the centre back pecking order.
    We need a good centre back anyways. I think Wenger might give Sagna a few games at centre back as he has only ever impressed there. Good signs that he tried him out against Vietnam. Take from that what you will.

If we are going to sign a striker, he really has to be world class and guaranteed to provide for us. We have Giroud already and I don't like the thought of bringing in another decently known striker.

As for the midfield, a new winger would be nice seeing as Gervinho and Arshavin are both gone/going. If Gervinho stays, we just have frustrating viewing 75% of the time. At least bring in a winger who can reduce that figure to between 0% and 25%.

Fellaini would be nice. I'm still dreaming of Ramsey reaching his full potential and gaining a bit of bloody consistency.

Two previous captains now playing for United if that happens FFS :mad::mad:
    Where is the ambition at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Yep, we need a back-up cb, a new goalkeeper, a replacement for Song and a world class striker. You only want to see a striker bought? You think we'll finish higher than fourth with just one signing?

Yep.

We already have 3 CBs and two good goalkeepers. We finished second last year in terms of goals conceded. Last count, we have about 40 midfielders that we can't even organise properly to play with each other i.e. Cazorla, Wilshere, Ramsey, Arteta, Rosicky etc etc and I don't think adding more will help that.

Up front, we have Giroud and Podolski who will only be playing their second season in England and who will only be playing their second season together. Also given that Podolski was injured for a few months last year, I reckon both of them (given the chance) could score 20+ goals each this year. We also have Walcott, who can give us another 20 goals, not to mention the likes of Chamberlain and the rest of the midfield who will contribute to goals.

In fact, unless we are signing a player who will score 30+ goals in the season, I'm not sure about adding a new "good player" who won't be used to playing with the team and who could disrupt whatever harmony is there.

Also, I don't think Wenger will ever replace Song. We don't play that formation anymore and I don't think we will next season either.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement