Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

farna_boy wrote: »
    Chelsea are throwing money at him and Real.

Id be surprised if Jose went after Higuain to lead his strike force, he didnt exactly trust him at Madrid

How much have Real spent this summer already does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

John cross is well connected with arsenal. Let's hope something happens before we all go mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I would understand Real looking for a few million more, nothing wrong with playing hardball but looking for an extra 14m is crazy.

I dont think Higuain is a €40m striker

Adebayor wasn't a €30 million striker but its what we got off City, swings and roundabouts. He is overpriced by about €7 million, for the sake of that we should just bite the bullet and pay it its about time the club gives something back to the fans who have been very patient the past 8 seasons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ah come on, I'm all for spending the cash to get things done, but at the same time you can't have clubs taking advantage of you like that and just bending over to their sudden changes of mind.

You should not believe all you read in the papers. We don't know that for sure.
    BUT we are always consistent in our dealings i.e. haggling over money.

Just to get things in perspective we have the following increases in revenue this year:
    £30 million TV.
    £10 million from Puma (at least).
    Increase from Emirates for shirt, not sure about an increase for stadium.

We're talking a comfortable £50 million extra income this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

You should not believe all you read in the papers. We don't know that for sure.
    BUT we are always consistent in our dealings i.e. haggling over money.

How do you know we always haggle over money then, in the room with them are you?

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Adebayor wasn't a €30 million striker but its what we got off City, swings and roundabouts. He is overpriced by about €7 million, for the sake of that we should just bite the bullet and pay it its about time the club gives something back to the fans who have been very patient the past 8 seasons!

Exactly.
    And another thing why did our Directors announce that we had loads of money to spend in the first place?
    Anyone we were dealing with was going to try and get as much as possible from us after that.

A shut mouth catches no flies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So Suarez is worth no more than 25 million and Higuain closer to 40. Do they really take us for idiots? I really hope we don't go that high for him. They've basically increased his price by a Cazorla over a few days. Nonsense.

How do you know we always haggle over money then, in the room with them are you?

Because as this instance proves, we don't get our dealings done early.
    How many players have been bought since the Higuain transfer was first initiated. You don't have to be in the room to see the usual pattern.

Why did they announce that we had loads of money to spend anyway?
    It was bound to make clubs greedy and was very stupid in my opinion.

greendom wrote: »
    So Suarez is worth no more than 25 million and Higuain closer to 40. Do they really take us for idiots? I really hope we don't go that high for him. They've basically increased his price by a Cazorla over a few days. Nonsense.

We should lash the money out and get Suarez and Fellaini and a CB.
    Raid the piggy bank and show ambition.
    Some year we might actually get our business done early and we can all watch the new players gel while on tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Having bought a season ticket, I don't regret it. But funny how all the big stories were around the renewal time.

There are a lot of very depressed gooners here in north london. If there is not one major world class signing, the arsene out chants will be ringing in October. Lucky for the board there are only 3 home games in August and September in the league.

How many players out and one young French lad in? Same old arsenal.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

A double hit in Arsene transfer bingo! Wooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Rumors of Gazidis flying home to conduct business.. Could we have a Soiree by Friday?

I'm going to take a leap and say no.

Rumors of Gazidis flying home to conduct business.. Could we have a Soiree by Friday?

Where did you hear that mate?

I'm going to take a leap and say no.

Reach for the stars.

Reach for the stars.
    But sometimes I hit London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

How much have Real spent this summer already does anybody know?

they've spent about €70mil

Isco ~ 30
    Illarramendi ~ 30
    Carvajal ~ 5/6
    Casemiro ~ 5/6

paying €40mil for Higuain would be crazy, simple as

he's worth about €30mil max including add ons i'd say

Where did you hear that mate?

Heard it via Geoff Arsenal account, replying about a retweet from Dave Seager who made statement, Geoff was confirming his reliability

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Heard it via Geoff Arsenal account, replying about a retweet from Dave Seager who made statement, Geoff was confirming his reliability

Put as much stock in Dave seager as the man on the moon

stuchyg wrote: »
    Put as much stock in Dave seager as the man on the moon

Close but no Seager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I love how it's somehow the Arsenal's fault or Arsene's fault that Madrid substantially raised their asking price, have some of ye not been paying attention in the last 10/15 years? Real and Barcelona have consistently been horrible clubs to deal with.

A wise old fox he says.
    Ibrahimovic??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

jordainius wrote: »
    Real and Barcelona have consistently been horrible clubs to deal with.

They really are two horrible sets of gits aren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Real can go fcuk themselves if they have upped the price to £37m. If that is Real's asking price, they can keep him. Shift our focus to Suarez, who is a better player and also has a much lower risk of flopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Jasus log on see about ten pages to read get excited find pages upon pages of squabbling.

I'm as frustrated as a lot in here but am keeping schtum there is still plenty of time for us to make a big signing and I sincerely hope we do, I fear how myself and other will react if we don't

But those saying why did we announce we had money to spend or the likes of Twitter makes deals harder to get done, do you really think in this day and age clubs aren't aware who is interested in who? And what clubs have money to spend? Of coarse they do don't be so naive to think that twitter and Gazidis announcing we had money was the first other clubs became aware of it.

The only thing that did was increase expectations and excitement from the fans thus creating a massive backlash should they fail miserably in the transfer window.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would really love if we signed Suarez now after all the **** with Higuain, would be a real two fingers to Real, we should also buy Bale and loan him to Athletico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

I'm gonna go against the general consensus here and say we'd be mad to sign Suarez.

Far, far more trouble than he's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Actually makes sense that they'd go for Suarez if Real want 40m for Higuain. Suarez is by far the better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Just to get things in perspective we have the following increases in revenue this year:
    £30 million TV.
    £10 million from Puma (at least).
    Increase from Emirates for shirt, not sure about an increase for stadium.

We're talking a comfortable £50 million extra income this season.
    The Puma deal doesn't kick in until next season.

• Advertisement

But those saying why did we announce we had money to spend or the likes of Twitter makes deals harder to get done, do you really think in this day and age clubs aren't aware who is interested in who? And what clubs have money to spend? Of coarse they do don't be so naive to think that twitter and Gazidis announcing we had money was the first other clubs became aware of it.

I just love this one, you'd swear it was a big secret that we had more money available to us this year, and that Gazidis let the cat out of the bag or something....

Our improved financial hand was obvious to anyone who is capable of basic mathematics. Our debts are much lower and our income is much higher.

And it's not as though Gazidis kicked down the doors of Sky/Daily Mirror/BBC/Daily Telegraph and loudly proclaimed "ATTENTION JOURNALISTS, WE NOW HAVE OODLES AND OODLES OF CASH AND CAN SIGN ANYONE WE WANT!!!". He was asked a question, he answered it. Given that it was common knowledge that our income has increased and our debt has decreased, what else was he going to say? If he said we didn't have it and our transfer policy wasn't going to change he would have been crucified, and rightly so. He says we have more money available, he still gets crucified by some. Can't win.

There are plenty of valid reasons to criticise Wenger and our board, but some people will just twist anything to suit their agenda....

I'm gonna go against the general consensus here and say we'd be mad to sign Suarez.

Far, far more trouble than he's worth.

I don't blame you for skipping over the last 20 pages but there is no general consensus on Suarez! Quite clearly a very divisive issue :D

He may be a nutter, and it would be pretty scummy of him to leave Liverpool for another English club after how they stood by him, but he would undoubtedly improve us as a team. I'm leaning more towards "Yes please!".

I can look past the two incidents that got him his suspensions, my only concern about him is his tendency to go down way too easily. Contrary to what some biased idiots blinded by hatred of our club think, we traditionally haven't had players who make a habit of diving, with one notable exception; Emmanuel Eboue, and I never liked him because of that, many a cringeworthy moment because of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

What type of bulls*it rumors are going around today?

It's early yet. Most twitter bullshítters haven't woken up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Getting away from the transfer guff I'm looking forward too seen how Campbell goes in the premier league this year

A good loan outing could see him brought in the following season, I thought he would have been brought in this season but looks like sango is the bigger prospect

He's no Akpom!

I dunno if it was mentioned last night (probably, but I can't be arsed reading back through the thread), but Wenger said on tour yesterday that he reckons Fabregas will stay at Barca for another year, and importantly, we do have a clause for him (buy-back or first refusal isn't specified though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'll say it again. It is actually nice to be getting our knickers in a twist over who we haven't signed rather than the normal who is going to sign our star player that we are subjected to every year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

gandalf wrote: »
    I'll say it again. It is actually nice to be getting our knickers in a twist over who we haven't signed rather than the normal who is going to sign our star player that we are subjected to every year :)
    It is but there were reports yesterday athlethic Madrid had agreed a fee for Santi.

Wont it be fun to look back next may when we have won the league and remember all the **** stories we had to put up with this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

It is but there were reports yesterday athlethic Madrid had agreed a fee for Santi.

Jaysus I missed that one! I doubt that one is true unless we are getting Mata ;)
    Wont it be fun to look back next may when we have won the league and remember all the **** stories we had to put up with this summer

Here's hoping. I think this coming season is our best chance in a long time to make a serious challenge for the Premiership given the changes at our rivals. From appearances United look like they are in particular chaos and if they have a bad start to the season it could get very entertaining for us rival fans :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

And anyone with half a brain knew they were made up. It'd be like United selling van Persie next week. Not going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

jordainius wrote: »
    I just love this one, you'd swear it was a big secret that we had more money available to us this year, and that Gazidis let the cat out of the bag or something....

Our improved financial hand was obvious to anyone who is capable of basic mathematics. Our debts are much lower and our income is much higher.

And it's not as though Gazidis kicked down the doors of Sky/Daily Mirror/BBC/Daily Telegraph and loudly proclaimed "ATTENTION JOURNALISTS, WE NOW HAVE OODLES AND OODLES OF CASH AND CAN SIGN ANYONE WE WANT!!!". He was asked a question, he answered it. Given that it was common knowledge that our income has increased and our debt has decreased, what else was he going to say? If he said we didn't have it and our transfer policy wasn't going to change he would have been crucified, and rightly so. He says we have more money available, he still gets crucified by some. Can't win.

There are plenty of valid reasons to criticise Wenger and our board, but some people will just twist anything to suit their agenda....

Agree with a lot of this, also the statements by Gazidis and Wenger 's one yesterday saying "we would have no problem with Rooney's wages" may be aimed at the one group of people who may have a problem with basic mathematics... footballers!

Arsenal may have been thought by some as a good place to learn your trade, always involved but lacking the money to compete at the top end of the market or pay the top end wages.

It seems to me the ploy is to convince players that this is no longer the case.

Arsenal.com tweeted their media watch this morning: Rooney, Suarez, Higuain latest. I don't believe anyone thinks we'll sign more than one of these, and we may end up signing none, but the club almost seems to be enjoying being linked to the top money players this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Pudders wrote: »
    How many players out and one young French lad in? Same old arsenal.

Which of the players that left did you want retained, the exits can only be viewed as a positive move, unless of course people have an agenda?
    A wise old fox he says.
    Ibrahimovic??

I would literally cream myself if that were to happen the guys a fcukin legend IMO and in fairness the Premier League is about all he has left as a challenge so he must surely have a desire to play there, whether or not its with us is another days work.

Would love Ibrahimovic. Wins leagues where ever he goes. Wont happen tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Rodgers has said that our bid was "nowhere near the valuation" Liverpool have of Suarez. Maybe £40m won't do the trick :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Rodgers has said that our bid was "nowhere near the valuation" Liverpool have of Suarez. Maybe £40m won't do the trick :(

Not worth that, even crazy spenders Madrid only value him at €25. The baggage he brings is too much. You'll always be on the edge of your seat waiting for him to implode and bring down the team spirit with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

jester77 wrote: »
    Not worth that, even crazy spenders Madrid only value him at €25. The baggage he brings is too much. You'll always be on the edge of your seat waiting for him to implode and bring down the team spirit with him.

I think Real value him at more but they know that after spunking crazy amounts of Isco and Illarmendi they have to sell Higuain first. In fact they probably did the maths and realised exactly how much they're going to need, which is why they jacked up the price for Higuain to €40m (which he isn't worth either but we've got to get somebody eventually).

This is the same Real that paid more for Illarmendi than Bayern paid for Goetze, remember. So of course Suarez is worth more than €25m to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

jonny666 wrote: »
    Would love Ibrahimovic. Wins leagues where ever he goes. Wont happen tho

Would absolutely hate Ibrahimovic. Granted he can be fantastic but 95% of the time he does absolutely nothing and would be totally disruptive. He could very easily turn into to Arshavin Rev 2.0 except on much higher wages and even more frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Nah, I think Ibrahimovic would be guaranteed goals but you're right about the work rate.

I wouldn't have him at the team over Suarez or Rooney though.

Ibra is a big ****head.

Would absolutely hate Ibrahimovic. Granted he can be fantastic but 95% of the time he does absolutely nothing and would be totally disruptive. He could very easily turn into to Arshavin Rev 2.0 except on much higher wages and even more frustrating.

ha! Just take a look at his record. He does exactly what he is ment to do. Score goals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

Remember Zlatan doesn't do trails(when Wenger invited him for trials when he was 19), So doubt it and he is a rich mans Berbatov with twice/trice the ego and arrogance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement