Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

jonny666 wrote: »
    City are doing things the right way. No fuss. Just buy the player.

How much of that money has gone to waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

not getting him
    Reports in Spain say that Arsenal target Gonzalo Higuain has declared that Jose Mourinho wants to take him from Real Madrid to Chelsea.

The Argentina striker has been tipped to leave the Santiago Bernabeu this summer and has previously been linked to several clubs in Europe.

And Higuain has now been quoted as saying that Chelsea are also interested in a deal, having played under Mourinho at Real.

"Mourinho wants me there," Higuain is quoted as saying by AS.

At the end of last term Higuain was tipped to join Juventus but when that move broke down he made it clear that he had made his mind up to leave Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I could quote a report saying that he was moving to the Premier League very soon and that a deal had been agreed with Arsenal.

And that Chelsea offered Mata or Luiz + 10 mil for Shrek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

How much of that money has gone to waste?

I dont ever want to see Arsenal go down the route of splashing out over the odds for players as we are respected hugely for how well the club is run but some fans take this too far. If we want to compete on the pitch we have to at least try and compete off it, there is no harm in paying over the odds for that 1 special player that could turn a club into title contenders, take Higuain for example we should just pay the extra 10 million for him and stop worrying about paying over the odds for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

not getting him

Anybody getting deja vu :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Anybody getting deja vu :(:(

The BIG signing could yet turn out to be Crouch :D

In my opinion, I don't think Higuain would turn us into title contenders. I think Suarez might, Rooney perhaps; but not Higuain.

Though he would help of course. Real would keep him if he had the ability to make a 4/5th place team win the league.

Though I understand what you're saying; and don't mean to be rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

City don't have to be careful with their purchases. But I'm as frustrated as anyone about the transfer window so far. I'm still hoping that something good happens, I feel that the fans are owed it. But my hopes are fading.

The BIG signing could yet turn out to be Crouch :D

And with that, I go to bed in disgust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

That's easy when the fee is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

JPA wrote: »
    That's easy when the fee is irrelevant.

City for once haven't had their pants pulled down over transfer fees this summer. 22million for Jovetic. 20million for Negredo. Good business. Dunno what wages are tho they have got it done nice and early which is what most people really want here. . They did pay 30 million for some Brazilian too actually who I don't know too much about so maybe that wasn't too good. The other two we could have easily afforded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

People need to relax yeh im getting frustrated and a bit angry but keeping it in check for now.

If we don't sign players the blame falls at Wenger's feet due to what Gazidis said, but for now im hopeful something will happen still a long way to go yet in the transfer window so lets just wait and see.

As for do I believe were interested in Higuain or Jovetic most certainly there is never that much smoke without fire and you can be sure there is far transfers disccussed and enquired about than that of them that are completed.

We need few signings and im hopefyl or hoping they will happen and I'll be staying quiet until I know for sure it wont happen, and mediocre signing's wont satisfy me either we need players now not youth or squad players ala Barry or Williams they be ok if and a big if we have signed the top players first.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

I think we'll make signings before the Emirates Cup and I think Arsene Wenger has already signed them on pre agreements. A lot of clubs don't want others to know they're buying or losing players as it further distorts the players values. Obviously City, PSG, Monaco and Madrid don't care about this as they've huge cash reserves (Madrid funded by huge TV revenue etc.) ... Utd have bought no-one, Chelsea haven't spent much yet ... a lot of the stuff in the papers is drivel written by lazy journalists chancers. Some of the recent interviews given by the Arsenal players would suggest they have an idea of who their team mates for the new season will be.

I wouldn't be too suprised if Arsene springs a couple of major surprises - Ozil or Lewandowski ... pretty sure they'll be players that fit with the current shape of the squad so I doubt we'll see some of the names bandied about by the press hacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

We all want signings to be made but bitching and moaning like this is pointless when their are still about six weeks left. Six days? Fair enough. Six weeks? Calm the fcuk down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    We all want signings to be made but bitching and moaning like this is pointless when their are still about six weeks left. Six days? Fair enough. Six weeks? Calm the fcuk down.

Four weeks until the opening game of the season and we haven't spent a single cent in the past eight weeks. People are rightly pissed off. We need players to at least have a pre-season with us.

ugsparky wrote: »
    I think we'll make signings before the Emirates Cup and I think Arsene Wenger has already signed them on pre agreements. A lot of clubs don't want others to know they're buying or losing players as it further distorts the players values. Obviously City, PSG, Monaco and Madrid don't care about this as they've huge cash reserves (Madrid funded by huge TV revenue etc.) ... Utd have bought no-one, Chelsea haven't spent much yet ... a lot of the stuff in the papers is drivel written by lazy journalists chancers. Some of the recent interviews given by the Arsenal players would suggest they have an idea of who their team mates for the new season will be.

I wouldn't be too suprised if Arsene springs a couple of major surprises - Ozil or Lewandowski ... pretty sure they'll be players that fit with the current shape of the squad so I doubt we'll see some of the names bandied about by the press hacks

Not an absolute hope of Ozil or especially Lewandowski. Multiple pre-agreements? There's a thin line between optimism and delusion, sorry.

Utd have bought someone, Varela, and Chelsea have brought in 3 new players. As for the big spenders you mentioned, we were meant to one of the big spenders with our £70m 'warchest', remember? We really need to get moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

knock it off. Ibra is not as good as RVP. its all opinions. stats dont mean nothing.

How did Bale win player of the year if best players are rated by stats

I know you weren't quoting me but I thought I'd reply anyway. And I know it's a bit off topic but so is the rest of the forum :D (Plus Ibra to Arsenal would be the coup of the summer despite the fact there has been no rumours)

You could argue that RVP is a better finisher (could argue) and is more of a team player, and less of an ego etc. and also that he has a higher workrate than Ibrahimovic. Fair enough.

But Ibrahimovic is better in nearly every other facet of his game from strength, ball control, vision, passing, technical ability, heading, penalties and free kicks right through to being an enigma who can and does win games out of nothing.

I fail to see how RVP is a better player than Ibrahimovic who has been at the very top of the game for the last 9 years.

Whether or not he is better value when considering his extraordinary wages is another question, but a better player - definitely. And anybody who has seen them both play on a very regular basis would know this.

People say he is overrated? If anything Ibrahimovic is underrated as he (supposedly) hasn't performed that well against English opposition and the British media hates him.

And Bale's stats weren't all that bad last year either ;)

Graham Hunter: "Arsenal agreed terms with Higuain and Madrid let them think they were getting their man but Madrid then raised the price at the last minute. He is a great player but not at 40 million euros. Arsenal are right not to accept the new proposal."

If true as much as I'd like Higuain Madrid can go fcuk themselves.

Graham Hunter: "Arsenal agreed terms with Higuain and Madrid let them think they were getting their man but Madrid then raised the price at the last minute. He is a great player but not at 40 million euros. Arsenal are right not to accept the new proposal."

It looks as if Real moved the goalposts in this scenario. They can go fcuk off. Perez is a pure dickwad.

• Advertisement

Four weeks until the opening game of the season and we haven't spent a single cent in the past eight weeks. People are rightly pissed off. We need players to at least have a pre-season with us.

How much pre-season did Mertesacker and Arteta have with us? They didnt do half badly.

Hopefully this is true as it will show Madrid up badly and cause other clubs to be wary of them in the future. Scummy thing to do, especially to a team who isn't even a domestic rival.

How much pre-season did Mertesacker and Arteta have with us? They didnt do half badly.

Nor Freddie who scored on his debut v Man United. Does anyone think that for an extra few million on Suarez's reported value that we'd have Lewandowski?

It's not about individual performances ffs.

It's not about individual performances ffs.

Have to agree here. The longer a new player is a part of the squad before the season, the better. They others have to be able to get the know the new lad and vice versa. Watch how he plays, what he does when he gets the ball. Does he like the dribble in certain situations or pass and go for the return. Simple stuff like that.

Besides, while there is no "rush" to get someone at the minute, if Arsene and the board wait on into August then there will be no top quality players available at reasonable prices. The sooner the better.

Have to agree here. The longer a new player is a part of the squad before the season, the better. They others have to be able to get the know the new lad and vice versa. Watch how he plays, what he does when he gets the ball. Does he like the dribble in certain situations or pass and go for the return. Simple stuff like that.

Besides, while there is no "rush" to get someone at the minute, if Arsene and the board wait on into August then there will be no top quality players available at reasonable prices. The sooner the better.

I think everyone will agree obviously having any players in place before the Asia tour would have been ideal but there's also no need to panic like some people seem to be just yet.

• Advertisement

I think everyone will agree obviously having any players in place before the Asia tour would have been ideal but there's also no need to panic like some people seem to be just yet.

The same people who make the "ah it'll be grand" statements now are the ones who would then make the "the squad need time to gel" statements in the middle of September when they've only been there for 2 weeks.

The same people who make the "ah it'll be grand" statements now are the ones who would then make the "the squad need time to gel" statements in the middle of September when they've only been there for 2 weeks.

Yeh and the same one's who are moaning now are the same who will be moaning regardless.

Will you still rant and rave if we do make a marquee signing even if it is late in the window? Since Real fcuked us about which seems to be becoming more and more apparent will you still blame Arsenal on that?

Ahh yeah I get ya. No need to panic at all tbh and I'm actually surprised at the amount of business other clubs have done at this stage in July.

Could be a coy move on Wenger's part as he may find a club with a player that is not as needed as before, Jovetic being the prime example as Gomez had already signed before JoJo left.

Cavani was never meant to be an Ibrahimovic replacement but the fact that he has signed means Ibrahimovic would be more available/cheaper than if Cavani hadn't joined.

There must surely be other examples too.

Vucinic, Quagliarella and Matri with Juventus but I hope for Arsenal's sake they don't sign any of them

Yeh and the same one's who are moaning now are the same who will be moaning regardless.
    If we win the league or CL next year I won't be complaining.
    Will you still rant and rave if we do make a marquee signing even if it is late in the window? Since Real fcuked us about which seems to be becoming more and more apparent will you still blame Arsenal on that?
    If we end up signing Higuain for the same price a couple of matches into the season I will criticise Arsenal. I don't care much about how Madrid have conducted themselves, Arsenal are once again showing the difference between their valuations and everyone else's valuations. Whatever about a waste of money, our economic theories haven't won us anything in quite a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

jordainius wrote: »
    I have a feeling that a lot of people in here may end up looking stupid in a months time. Take a chill pill lads. By all means, if with ten or so days left in August and nothing appears to be happening, then we can start to get pissed off. It's the middle of July, loads of time left.

I don't know about any of the rest of you, but I'm not going to join in this "Here we go again" hyperbole train and risk looking very stupid in 4/5 weeks time if we end up making one or two big signings. This summer is different, the board and the manager know that the fans now expect rather than hope for them to spend money.

I think you're missing some people's point that not only are we running out of time, we're kinda running out of players to sign..

• Advertisement

I know you weren't quoting me but I thought I'd reply anyway. And I know it's a bit off topic but so is the rest of the forum :D (Plus Ibra to Arsenal would be the coup of the summer despite the fact there has been no rumours)

You could argue that RVP is a better finisher (could argue) and is more of a team player, and less of an ego etc. and also that he has a higher workrate than Ibrahimovic. Fair enough.

But Ibrahimovic is better in nearly every other facet of his game from strength, ball control, vision, passing, technical ability, heading, penalties and free kicks right through to being an enigma who can and does win games out of nothing.

I fail to see how RVP is a better player than Ibrahimovic who has been at the very top of the game for the last 9 years.

Whether or not he is better value when considering his extraordinary wages is another question, but a better player - definitely. And anybody who has seen them both play on a very regular basis would know this.

People say he is overrated? If anything Ibrahimovic is underrated as he (supposedly) hasn't performed that well against English opposition and the British media hates him.

And Bale's stats weren't all that bad last year either ;)

i disagree. RVP is a better player then ibra in the ways you just described. RVP single handedly won the title for United. Has create technical ability and scores goals out of nothing, not tap ins while ibra is more of a poacher and has more strength and presents then RVP but thats about it. RVP is better in the other departments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

i disagree. RVP is a better player then ibra in the ways you just described. RVP single handedly won the title for United. Has create technical ability and scores goals out of nothing, not tap ins while ibra is more of a poacher and has more strength and presents then RVP but thats about it. RVP is better in the other departments

RVP single handedly won the title for United? If that's the case then why didn't he single handeldy win the title at least once in the 8 years that he was at Arsenal??

Hilarious stuff.

Hate to break it to you but he won the title at United because he had a better team around him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Keep calm all.

I get the frustration but if we sign a 25+ million player that works out as we want them to, then in a couple of years time no-one will give a **** whether we signed them in July or August.

We just need a big player or two. Yes, today would be nice but the deadline is the end of the window and as long as it's before then, they're Arsenal players, which is the point.

But yeah. Worries creeping in and foreseeing the massive backlash that will come if they don't sign anyone.

At least we can expect some continuity in the start this season as we haven't lost our best players.

New signings are not needed for the CL qualifiers or the first few matches of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

gosplan wrote: »
    Keep calm all.

I get the frustration but if we sign a 25+ million player that works out as we want them to, then in a couple of years time no-one will give a **** whether we signed them in July or August.

We just need a big player or two. Yes, today would be nice but the deadline is the end of the window and as long as it's before then, they're Arsenal players, which is the point.

But yeah. Worries creeping in and foreseeing the massive backlash that will come if they don't sign anyone.

At least we can expect some continuity in the start this season as we haven't lost our best players.

New signings are not needed for the CL qualifiers or the first few matches of the league.

Agree with most of what you say, just not this. If we want to be challenging for the league this year (and there's no reason why we shouldnt) we need to hit the ground running and having new players in place will immeasurably improve that. You cant win the league in the first couple of months, but you can certainly lose it.

There is also an advantage to waiting. For example, Ibrahimovic wasnt likely to leave at the start of the window, but is suddenly looking like he could leave. We likely wont be signing him, but I'm using him as an example. Just because someone is available at the start, doesnt mean their wont be anyone better available later. It's a fine balancing act that is the reason Wenger gets paid the big bucks. Liverpool could decide next week that £40m and Suarez is gone. If we had spent all our money early, we're not even in the running.

Signings not being done in the first week does not equal the end of the world. Wenger could well be waiting for someone in particular who has yet to become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Rodgers saying suarez is worth 55 million as PSG paid that for Cavani. Those couple of clubs with sugar daddys really feck up the market and people expectations.

Especially clubs like liverpool who are delusional at the best of times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Rodgers saying suarez is worth 55 million as PSG paid that for Cavani. Those couple of clubs with sugar daddys really feck up the market and people expectations.

Especially clubs like liverpool who are delusional at the best of times

LOL, no one will pay that much for the baggage he brings. They will end up having to hold on to a player who does not want to be there, a player who is not loyal and has only shown disrespect to the club this Summer. He will be a bad influence in the dressing room and will probably drag down the moral of the whole team. Liverpool should be delighted that any club is willing to pay around 30 million for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

If its Suarez that we will sign it's all the same when he comes, can't play till October is it??

Stop worrying we signed cazorla (our player of the year) on aug 7 last year

First rumour we heard of him was prob a week before that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

il be so disappointed if Fabragas goes to UTD without us even tryin to get him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Nice overview of the summer transfers of all clubs thus far. Ourselves and WBA are the only teams yet to spend a penny.

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    Agree with most of what you say, just not this. If we want to be challenging for the league this year (and there's no reason why we shouldnt) we need to hit the ground running and having new players in place will immeasurably improve that. You cant win the league in the first couple of months, but you can certainly lose it.

Yup. The last few years have shown us exactly what you've highlighted there.

I'm just a bit more hopeful this year because theoretically we should be able to pick up where we left off. We don't need to find a new way to attack due to losing RVP or Fab or anything so no immediate adjustments necessary.

Also we go Villa, Fulham, Spuds, Sunderland, Stoke, West Brom, Norwich, Palace till November or something.

The current squad is good enough to take 3 points from every one of those games, spurs obviously being quite tricky though. Yeah, we could improve but if we lose these games, it's because we fcuk up, not due to a lack of quality.

I do agree though, it would obviously be better to have our whole squad training together right now.

However if we do buy one or two truly talented players, I'd see their impact as coming when we hit our inevitable slump and in the games against top teams and especially top defences against which we've struggled a lot lately

The team that finished last season has all the talent to start this season well but if Kos goes back to making positional errors or Walcott keeps running the ball out of play for a few matches, then you'd imagine we're dropping points. Yeah a brilliant striker might turn a 3-2 against into a 3-3 but IMO this is Arsenal and if we want to find a way to fcuk up a game, we will.

This is all just cause we can start the season the way we finished it. Ironically, the prior windows where we shined everyone in the last few days were the actual ones where we needed to act early and the clubs dithering ended up costing us a lot of points.

People are just out of patience though and it's easy to see why.

The only aside to this I guess is getting the mentality of the team right and the bonus that a big signing or two would bring in this regard.

For some reason I really like the prospect of Giroud looking over his shoulder or seeing Suarez on the wing and Podski on the bench and knowing there's an obvious shuffle there if he's not performing. I think we might get a lot from him.

Joke that he had to play do much last season. What club with realistic title aspirations would have one brand new CF, required to play every possible game, who's only competition is a couple of wingers being played out of position.

How can you expect that to produce when your competition like Utd and City have 4 forwards each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I still don't understand the people saying we should just bend over for Real.

It's like going to buy a car on adverts for €2000, then going to see it, saying 'That's good, I'll take it' and then the guy saying 'Great, the price is now €3000'.

Would you really have any other reaction than telling him to go **** himself?

I still don't understand the people saying we should just bend over for Real.

It's like going to buy a car on adverts for €2000, then going to see it, saying 'That's good, I'll take it' and then the guy saying 'Great, the price is now €3000'.

Would you really have any other reaction than telling him to go **** himself?

I agree 100% but I kind if get where people are coming from.

There isn't a single Arsenal fan left that cares if we have money in the bank or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Tbh this thread has been painful to watch over the last few days. I thought that I had clicked on the Liverpool one by mistake looking at the amount of bickering going on.

Yes it would be preferable if we had sorted out our transfer targets quickly. However we have an issue with one club acting the maggot by moving the goal posts and another clubs manager deluded to think his player is worth 55 million because the oil funded clubs are inflating the market.

I will only lose the head if Cesc goes to United and it turns out we didn't bid on him. Until then I will patiently wait and hope.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Cesc won't come here as things stand. Why would he?

We need to get this ****ing sorted asap.

gandalf wrote: »
    Tbh this thread has been painful to watch over the last few days. I thought that I had clicked on the Liverpool one by mistake looking at the amount of bickering going on.

Yes it would be preferable if we had sorted out our transfer targets quickly. However we have an issue with one club acting the maggot by moving the goal posts and another clubs manager deluded to think his player is worth 55 million because the oil funded clubs are inflating the market.

I will only lose the head if Cesc goes to United and it turns out we didn't bid on him. Until then I will patiently wait and hope.

Get ready to lose the head in a few day's time then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

There isn't a single Arsenal fan left that cares if we have money in the bank or not.
    I can sympathise with but they have increased his price by what it cost to acquire Cazorla.

Would it be worth paying the extra and miss out on a player of Santi's calibre?

RVP single handedly won the title for United? If that's the case then why didn't he single handeldy win the title at least once in the 8 years that he was at Arsenal??

Hilarious stuff.

Hate to break it to you but he won the title at United because he had a better team around him.

He single handedly got us to the top 4 in his final season with arsenal.

greendom wrote: »
    I can sympathise with but they have increased his price by what it cost to acquire Cazorla.

Would it be worth paying the extra and miss out on a player of Santi's calibre?

Yes. We're desperate now and like it or not, we are going to have to pay over the odds for either Higuain or Suarez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I can get it in terms of just biting the bullet and paying what someone is worth (or a bit above) straight up to get the deal done, but if the Higuain deal is as it's being reported, i don't blame them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement