Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

27 to 40 million is a ridiculous jump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Just seen that a Brazilian ESPN journalist seems to think that Bernard is on his way to us. Would he be on a similar level to someone like Oscar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Sign him up.... Henry voted MLS player of the year

Just seen that a Brazilian ESPN journalist seems to think that Bernard is on his way to us. Would he be on a similar level to someone like Oscar?

Just after reading that as well on one of the South American sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

If true it could be a sign that Wenger is ready to deploy Podolski in a more central role as Bernard is a ledt sided midfielder

• Advertisement

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Or that Gervinho is leaving and he wants another option for the wide spots.

I think that Bernard link has been rubbished as just a rehash of old rumours though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Apparently it was during a portion of a show where they went through the week's transfer rumours. There's nothing really in it, at least not yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

keano_afc wrote: »
    Agree with most of what you say, just not this. If we want to be challenging for the league this year (and there's no reason why we shouldnt) we need to hit the ground running and having new players in place will immeasurably improve that. You cant win the league in the first couple of months, but you can certainly lose it.

Agree with this.
    The two draws we had at the start of last season could have proved crucial if we didn't eventually get Top 4.
    People back then were happy with drawing with two mickey mouse teams. We should have gone out and won both.

I still don't understand the people saying we should just bend over for Real.

It's like going to buy a car on adverts for €2000, then going to see it, saying 'That's good, I'll take it' and then the guy saying 'Great, the price is now €3000'.

Would you really have any other reaction than telling him to go **** himself?

Has anyone from our club actually come out and contradicted Perez when he said that they had no offers for Higuain? Seems odd that someone would not say we made an offer. We had no problem in admitting that we bid for Suarez after all.

• Advertisement

Has anyone from our club actually come out and contradicted Perez when he said that they had no offers for Higuain? Seems odd that someone would not say we made an offer. We had no problem in admitting that we bid for Suarez after all.

Didn't Liverpool release that we made the bid? And plus maybe they didn't make an official bid when they heard the price hike that Madrid expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

You still believe a word from Perez? The man is a well known ****e talker and as we all know Arsenal never discuss transfers, of coarse we were in for him, his father the agent said so and there were way to man reporters and reliable ones at that talking about it to be bull**** there is never that much smoke without fire.

Suarez is different Liverpool let the cat out of the bag, if Perez want's to play games Arsenal will quite gladly let him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Agree with this.
    The two draws we had at the start of last season could have proved crucial if we didn't eventually get Top 4.
    People back then were happy with drawing with two mickey mouse teams. We should have gone out and won both.

Nice selective memory there. I dont recall people being happy, just not convinced that the world was ending like others.

Liverpool said we bid. We pretty much never announce who we have made bids for.

You still believe a word from Perez? The man is a well known ****e talker and as we all know Arsenal never discuss transfers, of coarse we were in for him, his father the agent said so and there were way to man reporters and reliable ones at that talking about it to be bull**** there is never that much smoke without fire.

Suarez is different Liverpool let the cat out of the bag, if Perez want's to play games Arsenal will quite gladly let him.

I don't know Perez and he could be the biggest liar on earth BUT why is nobody contradicting him and calling him for what he is.
    Anything i've read has been here or in the soccer gossip columns.
    We should call his bluff by saying we have made an offer that we think is fair and realistic but we won't allow ourselves be ripped-off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Rodgers saying suarez is worth 55 million as PSG paid that for Cavani. Those couple of clubs with sugar daddys really feck up the market and people expectations.

Especially clubs like liverpool who are delusional at the best of times

Ridiculous. Cavani has a better goalscoring pedigree in top leagues and has the added bonus of not being a ****, who gets himself banned a lot.

The more I think about it I'm slightly more confident about us buying somebody. I really don't think we could go through a summer talking so big, selling so many players and freeing up wages, only to have Sanogo to show for it at the end. The uproar would be huge and frankly the squad would be quite light numbers wise (not even considering quality).

I don't know Perez and he could be the biggest liar on earth BUT why is nobody contradicting him and calling him for what he is.
    Anything i've read has been here or in the soccer gossip columns.
    We should call his bluff by saying we have made an offer that we think is fair and realistic but we won't allow ourselves be ripped-off.

Why would or should we go public? Arsenal are a notoriously private club when it comes to transfers why in the name of god would we want to get dragged into a public tit for tat with Perez who thrives on that ****? The man loves being in the limelight.

Why would or should we go public? Arsenal are a notoriously private club when it comes to transfers why in the name of god would we want to get dragged into a public tit for tat with Perez who thrives on that ****? The man loves being in the limelight.

Because liars need to be called out.
    It lets everyone else know about them and prevents anyone else from other clubs getting involved with them. It also lets their players know that the club is also harming their chances of moves by moving the goalposts.

Because liars need to be called out.
    It lets everyone else know about them and prevents anyone else from other clubs getting involved with them. It also lets their players know that the club is also harming their chances of moves by moving the goalposts.

See this is the part you seem to be missing ;), with or without Arsenal as a club or the media even announcing it other clubs will already know what happened as will there players.

Just like Gazidis announcing we had money other clubs will have known that regardless of what he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

AdamD wrote: »
    Ridiculous. Cavani has a better goalscoring pedigree in top leagues and has the added bonus of not being a ****, who gets himself banned a lot.

The more I think about it I'm slightly more confident about us buying somebody. I really don't think we could go through a summer talking so big, selling so many players and freeing up wages, only to have Sanogo to show for it at the end. The uproar would be huge and frankly the squad would be quite light numbers wise (not even considering quality).

Oh we are definitely goina buy someone. We are very short in defense. Its just the quality of player might be problem. Personally im not very hopeful of signing any new striker. PSG/Monaco have blurred the market once again and because they bought players for stupid money means other teams want stupid money for their players. Which we wont pay.

See this is the part you seem to be missing ;), with or without Arsenal as a club or the media even announcing it other clubs will already know what happened as will there players.

Just like Gazidis announcing we had money other clubs will have known that regardless of what he said.

I'd be far more blunt about it though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Someone used the word delusional to describe Liverpool supporters???????

As against Arsenal supporters talking about "actually" buying top class players like Higauin et al :rolleyes: pot/kettle comes to mind.

Arsenals big summer signing appears to be Arsene Wenger :)

And by the way you can have the ***** for £40m if you like, I am sure he won't be a ***** in your eyes if he pulls on an Arsenal shirt. To be honest you would be getting a steal at the price, he was the best striker in the PL last season, bar none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yawn.

As against Arsenal supporters talking about "actually" buying top class players like Higauin et al :rolleyes: pot/kettle comes to mind.

And by the way you can have the ***** for £40m if you like, I am sure he won't be a ***** in your eyes if he pulls on an Arsenal shirt. To be honest you would be getting a steal at the price, he was the best striker in the PL last season, bar none.

Jasus you don't half talk out of your arse, go back to the Liverpool thread before you leave your fellow Liverpool fans cringing.

First off summer is not over yet ;), might look a spanner yet for those comments about our big signing being Wenger at least wait till the transfer window ends before making bellend posts.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Mail (I know I know) saying Wenger has been given the go ahead to bid 40m for Suarez. Regardless of what Rodgers says the agent is adamant thatthe club have to let him talk to us if that sum is reacjed and supposedly Liverpool have privately conceded this.

You are not doing yourself or your fellow Liverpool fans any favours there :rolleyes: Suarez is only worth what a team is willing to pay for him, and his antics at both Liverpool and Ajax have significantly decreased his worth. Who ever, if anyone, he signs for are taking a major risk and that is the reason he is not worth the figures Liverpool fans are quoting. It's a dangerous game you guys are playing, you will end up stuck with a player who doesn't want to be there and has only shown the club disrespect over the Summer. I wouldn't like to be in the same dressing room as a player like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

jester77 wrote: »
    Just after reading that as well on one of the South American sites.

He's pretty small but he seems to be a left winger who can actually kick the ball pretty well - so that's an improvement on Gervinho then.

Could be a touch of the Vela's about him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

From the Liverpool forum :D

Quote:
    Arsenal @ _COYG 6m
    ESPN Brazil Mineiro reporting Bernard will be Arsenal 's 2nd signing of the summer. # AFC

Arsenal @ _COYG 8m
    According to ESPN Ale Oliveira of Brazil, Bernard has chosen to join Arsenal from Atlético Mineiro for £ 18 - £ 20m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Could do a lot worse than resigning Vela, think he was in the la liga team of the season this year. 14 goals and 9 assists in 36 league games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Could do a lot worse than resigning Vela, think he was in the la liga team of the season this year. 14 goals and 9 assists in 36 league games.

He had something about him alright, but no thanks. Think he struggled with the physicality of the EPL. Giroud, Sanogo and a new striker should be enough up front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Well if we get Surez i hope Wenger can make the man changes his attitude. if he can change his attitude then he could be our RVP/Henry ie a world class CF for arsenal.

We need a world class forward to compete for titles. United won the league because they had RVP to bail them out.

we need that also. Last season we defended decently but could not find the goals to win the match. How many times did we draw last season? loads. Lots of 0:0 where if we had a world class CF, even half of those 0:0 could have been turned into 3 points and who knows, probably would have competed for the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

gosplan wrote: »
    He's pretty small but he seems to be a left winger who can actually kick the ball pretty well - so that's an improvement on Gervinho then.

Could be a touch of the Vela's about him though.

He's 5'5. He would be great for corners :pac:

He's a wenger signing isn't he? Supposed to be technically excellent - I haven't seen much of him tbh.

If we are in for him I doubt anything concrete will be said before the lads cup final.

Well if we get Surez i hope Wenger can make the man changes his attitude. if he can change his attitude then he could be our RVP/Henry ie a world class CF for arsenal.

We need a world class forward to compete for titles. United won the league because they had RVP to bail them out.

we need that also. Last season we defended decently but could not find the goals to win the match. How many times did we draw last season? loads. Lots of 0:0 where if we had a world class CF, even half of those 0:0 could have been turned into 3 points and who knows, probably would have competed for the title.

Aye Jonney but half the time we were p*ss poor at breaking down teams in the final third to create chances as well. Getting a striker is very important but equally we need to get more creative in midfield to get the ball through. Another quality midfielder is needed too imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

HazDanz wrote: »
    Aye Jonney but half the time we were p*ss poor at breaking down teams in the final third to create chances as well. Getting a striker is very important but equally we need to get more creative in midfield to get the ball through. Another quality midfielder is needed too imo.

Maybe make a cheeky offer for Mata seeing as Chelsea dont mind flogging him? Or get fabregas back with a 35m bid?

Maybe make a cheeky offer for Mata seeing as Chelsea dont mind flogging him? Or get fabregas back with a 35m bid?

Wenger has said Fabregas is sticking put for another year at barca as far as he knows.

I cannot see Mata leaving Chelsea. That would be madness from Mourinho.

Before we sign anyone it would be great to see Cazorla and Wilshere play well together. The pair of them are fantastic players but for some reason could not adapt their games to facilitate each other last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Mata would cost far too much. Fabregas is much more likely but he wont be moving this summer, at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Jasus you don't half talk out of your arse, go back to the Liverpool thread before you leave your fellow Liverpool fans cringing.

First off summer is not over yet ;), might look a spanner yet for those comments about our big signing being Wenger at least wait till the transfer window ends before making bellend posts.

Did not mean to be a bellend, just replying to awesomeness bellend comment about Liverpool supporters.

Suarez would be ideal for Arsenal, technically gifted, plus he can conjure up his own chances, and he can finish. 40/50m is a steal IMO. Unless we get someone like Higuain we will not be replacing him to anywhere near the same standard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is this true? Arsenal must have signed someone.

http://havearsenalspentanymoneyyet.com/

mike65 wrote: »
    Is this true? Arsenal must have signed someone.

http://havearsenalspentanymoneyyet.com/

Signed Sanogo on a free. Didn't spend money for him though.

Did not mean to be a bellend, just replying to awesomeness bellend comment about Liverpool supporters.

Suarez would be ideal for Arsenal, technically gifted, plus he can conjure up his own chances, and he can finish. 40/50m is a steal IMO. Unless we get someone like Higuain we will not be replacing him to anywhere near the same standard
    Didnt mean any offence just a tongue in cheek comment (A bit of banter is easily misunterstood on the old interwebs). I dont believe he is worth 55 mill but I also dont think Cavani is worth 55 million.

Its stupid amounts of money that when the cash rich clubs pay messes up the markets for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Players should never have been worth more than 40 million. Never.

That Ronaldo transfer ****ed the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

cathalio11 wrote: »

Ronaldo was a bargain.

cathalio11 wrote: »

Andy Carroll's is what ***ed the system!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I blame Trevor Francis.

jester77 wrote: »
    Andy Carroll's is what ***ed the system!
    Darren Bent for the same price as Henry.

Even del boy could make a fortune as a football agent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Whether we like it or not, i think Arsenal runs itself the right way in the transfer market, if only a few more clubs had the cop on to not pay over the odds for certain players. If a player is not deemed worthy of it then they wont get it,simple as.
    The mega wealthy clubs dont give a fcuk, an extra 10 or 20 million for a player doesnt matter to them. Its peanuts to them multi gazilionaires but it ruins it for everyone else, No player should really be worth 60/70 odd million, just as no player should be paid 400k or whatever silly money weekly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Didnt mean any offence just a tongue in cheek comment (A bit of banter is easily misunterstood on the old interwebs). I dont believe he is worth 55 mill but I also dont think Cavani is worth 55 million.

Its stupid amounts of money that when the cash rich clubs pay messes up the markets for everyone else.

Depends what way you look at it..

If Andy Carroll is worth £35m and Hulk is worth £50m+ the Cavani should have cost around the £200m mark :D

Btw, Cavani is a top, top striker with great finishing and a serious work-rate. He would have been a fantastic signing for any team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

i disagree. RVP is a better player then ibra in the ways you just described. RVP single handedly won the title for United. Has create technical ability and scores goals out of nothing, not tap ins while ibra is more of a poacher and has more strength and presents then RVP but thats about it. RVP is better in the other departments

I fail to see how any of that is true and anybody who has watched Ibra play regularly would know exactly how good he is. RVP is in no way better in the other departments i mentioned either. Everyone's entitled to their opinion though!

I still don't understand the people saying we should just bend over for Real.

It's like going to buy a car on adverts for €2000, then going to see it, saying 'That's good, I'll take it' and then the guy saying 'Great, the price is now €3000'.

Would you really have any other reaction than telling him to go **** himself?
    Poor analogy. It's a bit more like Arsenal deciding on their own (low) valuation in a market that matches no-one else's. Also that €3k car could lead to a promotion at work with a chance of decent career progression while not buying it means another year at minimum wage.

Poor analogy. It's a bit more like Arsenal deciding on their own (low) valuation in a market that matches no-one else's. Also that €3k car could lead to a promotion at work with a chance of decent career progression while not buying it means another year at minimum wage.

So you think Higuain is worth 37m or whatever it supposedly is now? I don't think the original valuation of around 23m is particularly low.

Darren Bent for the same price as Henry.

Even del boy could make a fortune as a football agent

His cousin is even a football manager ('Awwry Redknapp innit)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement