Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

So you think Higuain is worth 37m or whatever it supposedly is now? I don't think the original valuation of around 23m is particularly low.

Nobody is worth anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

My new sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

that's like, so depressing man.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

I fail to see how any of that is true and anybody who has watched Ibra play regularly would know exactly how good he is. RVP is in no way better in the other departments i mentioned either. Everyone's entitled to their opinion though!

i've watched him play and RVP play so i can safely say Ibra is not as good as RVP. Even Bale is better then Ibra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Santos now gone :)

Source: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8830630/Transfer-news-Arsenal-s-Andre-Santos-close-to-Flamengo-transfer

Here is an updated list of the clearout

Squillaci
    Arshavin
    Denilson
    Santos
    Mannone
    Djourou
    Coquelin
    Park most likely released or about to be
    Gervinho, Bendtner, Chamakh left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

i've watched him play and RVP play so i can safely say Ibra is not as good as RVP. Even Bale is better then Ibra.
    Of all the shíte that's been wrote up here the last few days, I can declare this the biggest shíte of the lot.

You need to decide if you really are a fan of football as spouting this kind of dribble paints a poor picture of the author.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Of all the shíte that's been wrote up here the last few days, I can declare this the biggest shíte of the lot.

You need to decide if you really are a fan of football as spouting this kind of dribble paints a poor picture of the author.

how? i am forming an opinion based on what i percieve from two different players. what is wrong with that. i am not expecting u or anyone else to agree with me or am i forcing you to agree with me.

You are just a blooming annoying little kid with no damm respect for peoples opinions at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

ulinbac wrote: »

Source: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8830630/Transfer-news-Arsenal-s-Andre-Santos-close-to-Flamengo-transfer

Squillaci
    Arshavin
    Denilson
    Santos
    Mannone
    Djourou
    Coquelin

Wenger really has bought some dross over the last few years:-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

how? i am forming an opinion based on what i percieve from two different players. what is wrong with that. i am not expecting u or anyone else to agree with me or am i forcing you to agree with me.

You are just a blooming annoying little kid with no damm respect for peoples opinions at all.

Who cares? It's not like we'll be buying Ibra anyway so the point is moot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

You're saying that Bale is better than Ibrahimovic. That's not an opinion, that's stupid.
    Not even close with the little kid part, but I am blooming ;)

Quazzie wrote: »
    You're saying that Bale is better than Ibrahimovic. That's not an opinion, that's stupid.

Not even close with the little kid part, but I am blooming ;)

He is IMO. and i hate Spurs so to say that takes something special.

if i said Gevinho was better then Ibra then that would be classed as stupid :D

Espn Brasil are saying we have agreed a £21 million fee for Bernard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

I know you weren't quoting me but I thought I'd reply anyway. And I know it's a bit off topic but so is the rest of the forum :D (Plus Ibra to Arsenal would be the coup of the summer despite the fact there has been no rumours)

You could argue that RVP is a better finisher (could argue) and is more of a team player, and less of an ego etc. and also that he has a higher workrate than Ibrahimovic. Fair enough.

But Ibrahimovic is better in nearly every other facet of his game from strength, ball control, vision, passing, technical ability, heading, penalties and free kicks right through to being an enigma who can and does win games out of nothing.

I fail to see how RVP is a better player than Ibrahimovic who has been at the very top of the game for the last 9 years.

Whether or not he is better value when considering his extraordinary wages is another question, but a better player - definitely. And anybody who has seen them both play on a very regular basis would know this.

People say he is overrated? If anything Ibrahimovic is underrated as he (supposedly) hasn't performed that well against English opposition and the British media hates him.

I have to go back to my original post here and ask how do you think RVP is better than Ibrahimovic in any of those areas?

Ibrahimovic is a better all round player than RVP and Bale and has been for 8/9 years

For me, he is the 3rd best in the world, which is just my opinion having watched him play 200+ matches over the years.

Haven't seen much of him at all?

Another good young prospect or would he be a more established youngster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Wouldn't be too happy with the signing of Bernard as opposed to others but I've trust in Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Anyone Know mich about him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Bale better then Ibra? Jaysus......i'd have Ibra in my team ahead of Bale everyday of the week, twice on match days.

The Enlgish media, Dunphy and co have a perception that he isnt really good and hes a bluffer and a rich mans Berbatov.

Its all bollocks IMO, hes one fo the best CF's of the last decade, its a shame he never made to the EPL coz if he had more people would appreciate his ability and talent.

Will Bale acheive or get close to his levels, maybe in time but not right now, Ibra is a constent performer at the highest level his goals tally will tell you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Why are signing players we dont need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

greendom wrote: »
    Anyone Know mich about him?

All I know is spurs fans thought they were gettin him!!

No, a reporter was quoted on an ESPN TV show as saying he Bernard will go to Arsenal. Everyone got excited. Then it turned out that the section of the show was talking about talking rumours from the week, and the Bernard rumour is a few days old. People are just making up the £21m figure.

ESPN Brazil DO have a Bernard transfer story today, but it's about Spurs and Liverpool, not us http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.espn.com.br%2F%23. We're not even mentioned in that story.

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »

we haven't signed anyone yet.

anyhow, looking at the pics on the official site and it looks like Giroud is in much better shape than last season, he looks very lean.

keano_afc wrote: »

We'll need a winger/forward if we sell Gervinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I know its a compilation and all that but he really does look like a magical player.

I have to go back to my original post here and ask how do you think RVP is better than Ibrahimovic in any of those areas?

Ibrahimovic is a better all round player than RVP and Bale and has been for 8/9 years

For me, he is the 3rd best in the world, which is just my opinion having watched him play 200+ matches over the years.

do i need to repeat myself? i have already stated why. Please can you read it. if you disagree then thats fine but please dont ask me to copy and paste exactly what i said to you already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

bad2dabone wrote: »
    we haven't signed anyone yet.

anyhow, looking at the pics on the official site and it looks like Giroud is in much better shape than last season, he looks very lean.

Ya noticed that hes looking hungry he knows he will have no excuses this year he is expected to perform. People argue he done well last year i think he done okay for his first year but that only he never took control of a game or showed any genius but i do like the guy he seems down to earth and seems to be really trying ao lets hope he does the business this year as higuain is disapearing into the darkness

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Bale better then Ibra? Jaysus......i'd have Ibra in my team ahead of Bale everyday of the week, twice on match days.

The Enlgish media, Dunphy and co have a perception that he isnt really good and hes a bluffer and a rich mans Berbatov.

Its all bollocks IMO, hes one fo the best CF's of the last decade, its a shame he never made to the EPL coz if he had more people would appreciate his ability and talent.

Will Bale acheive or get close to his levels, maybe in time but not right now, Ibra is a constent performer at the highest level his goals tally will tell you that.

i would have Bale in my team ahead of Ibra. Bale has proven EPL experience, can win matches on his own. Can take on players for fun, create goals on his own, score spectacular, faster then Ibrah, has the height and presents to score headers/beta defenders in the air and is only 24

do i need to repeat myself? i have already stated why. Please can you read it. if you disagree then thats fine but please dont ask me to copy and paste exactly what i said to you already

No need to get bitchy.

It surprises me that anyone could think RVP has better passing, vision, ball control, technical ability or heading ability than Ibrahimovic and to say he's better at penalties and free kicks than Ibra is just laughable but each to their own I guess.
    i would have Bale in my team ahead of Ibra. Bale has proven EPL experience, can win matches on his own. Can take on players for fun, create goals on his own, score spectacular, faster then Ibrah, has the height and presents to score headers/beta defenders in the air and is only 24

Proven EPL experience? Ibrahimovic is proven in every league he has played in and has shown an ability to adapt into other teams like no other. Bale has had 1 good season. One!!

And everything you said about Bale is equally true for Ibrahimovic bar that Bale is much faster. However, Ibrahimovic is a better target man, much stronger, much better in the air, a much better passer, has better vision, a better touch, better at creating chances etc.

The mind boggles

Lads does it matter who is better than ibrahimovic and rvp your going to get 20+ goals season out of either of them.

What ibrahimovic has done swapping clubs evry year and having mammoth seasons is mind boggling he needs no time to settle in just bang goals goals. The only thing you could argue is that he always plays for the giant clubs so he always has the best of players around him to assist him and he plays in leagues with alot of easy oponnents one could argue.
    Theres no denying his attitude and his ability to blow hot and cold is an issue but when hes hot he is unmarkable id honestly rather mark ronaldo than ibrahimovic when hes in his zone hes unstoppable. You could argue ibrah doesnt get the media attention or credit he deserves but as i said his atitude lets him down in that regard but i spose its that same atitude that makes him who he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Is there two Ibrahimovic's out there??

Only thing that makes any sense to me, surely anyone that is capable of actually turning on a computer and typing coherent english cannot be stupid enough to argue that Zlatan Ibrahimovic of PSG is not a better player than Gareth Bale :confused:

FWIW the Guardian issued its Top 100 players in the world last December and Ibra was 5th, RVP 7th and Bale 40th - and they have an EPL/British player bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I respect your opinion, I wont agree with it though.

Ibra, at Bales age was a better player then him, the only thing Bale has an advantage of Ibra is in pace and EPL experience, which also counts for nothing when your 31 have played in WC's and Euro championships and UCL campaigns so EPL experience doesnt really matter when you've all that behind you.

Taking the EPL on its merit its a quick, direct league, suits Bale down to the ground, couple of reasons why I reckon Ibra would flourish in the EPL, his speed of thought and football brain is superior then all but a handful of footballers, his size and strength is unmatched in the EPL.

Also his goals and assists, did you watch much of PSG last year, nearly everything went through Ibra and he ahd more assists and goals then Bale.

Ibra 33 goals and 15 assists
    Bale 24 and 8 assists

But PSG play in the French league? Yes they do but thats largely avoiding the point, Ibra in the UCL managed 3 goals and 4 assists in contrast to Bale who got 3 goals and 3 assists in the EL.

Height and in the air ability, fairly close but Ibra is 6'5 which is about 3 inches bigger then Bale and hes incredibly difficult to get the ball off as he often takes the ball down and on his chest rather then flick on headers.

One day Bale might be mentioned in the same breath as Ibra but for now theres only one winner IMO and thats without going into his goal scoring record in his career, nearly 400 games and about 220 goals.

I'd take Ibra over Rooney or Higuain at Chelsea but it wont happen, hell if he was in the EPL I'd rejoice at it as hes technically one fo the most gifted players to ever play football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Forget Ibra. We are after Mata now according the daily mail!!

Zlatan is an enigmatic, gifted genius and a proven champion in multiple top leagues. He was outstanding for Sweden too in the euros.

Bale is a fine athelete. He’s a good player and he’s a physical specimen.

But he’s nowhere near the footballer Zlatan is.

in my opinion :)

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I respect your opinion, I wont agree with it though.

Ibra, at Bales age was a better player then him, the only thing Bale has an advantage of Ibra is in pace and EPL experience, which also counts for nothing when your 31 have played in WC's and Euro championships and UCL campaigns so EPL experience doesnt really matter when you've all that behind you.

Taking the EPL on its merit its a quick, direct league, suits Bale down to the ground, couple of reasons why I reckon Ibra would flourish in the EPL, his speed of thought and football brain is superior then all but a handful of footballers, his size and strength is unmatched in the EPL.

Also his goals and assists, did you watch much of PSG last year, nearly everything went through Ibra and he ahd more assists and goals then Bale.

Ibra 33 goals and 15 assists
    Bale 24 and 8 assists

But PSG play in the French league? Yes they do but thats largely avoiding the point, Ibra in the UCL managed 3 goals and 4 assists in contrast to Bale who got 3 goals and 3 assists in the EL.

Height and in the air ability, fairly close but Ibra is 6'5 which is about 3 inches bigger then Bale and hes incredibly difficult to get the ball off as he often takes the ball down and on his chest rather then flick on headers.

One day Bale might be mentioned in the same breath as Ibra but for now theres only one winner IMO and thats without going into his goal scoring record in his career, nearly 400 games and about 220 goals.

I'd take Ibra over Rooney or Higuain at Chelsea but it wont happen, hell if he was in the EPL I'd rejoice at it as hes technically one fo the most gifted players to ever play football.

+1

Great post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wish all this talk was about players we actually signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

And everything you said about Bale is equally true for Ibrahimovic bar that Bale is much faster. However, Ibrahimovic is a better target man, much stronger, much better in the air, a much better passer, has better vision, a better touch, better at creating chances etc.

The mind boggles

You forgot one of his points - Ibra also scores much more spectacular goals. I haven't seen anybody like him, backheels and volleys everywhere. Off the back of my head, the backheel lob over Buffon from like a yard out, England 4-2, a backheel volley against Bologna for Inter, free kick for Barca from 40 yards, and there's definitely more. Super player, would love him here regardless of his age.

Who are we going to sign lads If higuain doesnt come to us and we all know rooney wont happen and suarez wont either.

Theres very few world class players out there willing to play for us to be honest and not alone that very few we will pay the wages of in all honesty its looking bleak:(

If and now i say if wenger makes a balls of it buys a few unproven nobodys and we just about make 4th place again next year should he then be told to pack his bags an go because i personally would be disgusted with him and its a very likely scenario which is the scary thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Who are we going to sign lads If higuain doesnt come to us and we all know rooney wont happen and suarez wont either.

Theres very few world class players out there willing to play for us to be honest and not alone that very few we will pay the wages of in all honesty its looking bleak:(

If and now i say if wenger makes a balls of it buys a few unproven nobodys and we just about make 4th place again next year should he then be told to pack his bags an go because i personally would be disgusted with him and its a very likely scenario which is the scary thing

Well many people seem to be happy with 4th every year. I'm not. If they are telling the truth regarding us having 70 million to spend then I want it spent on good and proven players.
    It's a long time since 2004.

Well many people seem to be happy with 4th every year. I'm not. If they are telling the truth regarding us having 70 million to spend then I want it spent on good and proven players.
    It's a long time since 2004.

Too long since 2004 is right mate.

This year has the potential to be one of our best or one of our worst. Sorry too he pessimistic about it all guys but radical change is needed and theres only 3 weeks till start of season and not a thing has changed

ulinbac wrote: »

Squillaci
    Arshavin
    Denilson
    Santos
    Mannone
    Djourou
    Coquelin

I respect Santos for at the very least he values playing football every week more than a salary that he shouldnt have received in the first place. He would have every right to stay, collect his wage and clog up further resources for the duration left on his contract but fair play he seems determined to do the right thing by all parties concerned. Mr f**king Bendtner should now follow his lead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone wondering if Barca will make an outrageous offer for Wenger? Vilanova appears to be retiring (presser at 7.30)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Sooo about five pages of who's better Ibra/Bale or RVP what the fcuk?

Can we get back to Arsenal related topics ;).

Sooo about five pages of who's better Ibra/Bale or RVP what the fcuk?

Can we get back to Arsenal related topics ;).

I'll hold my hand up and take responsibility for that, couldn't understand how some people hold Ibra in such low regard! :P

Realistically, is there any chance Wenger will leave Arsenal for Barca seeing as Tito is leaving?

Can't see it myself and it would be a problem for Arsenal if it did.

I'll hold my hand up and take responsibility for that, couldn't understand how some people hold Ibra in such low regard! :P

Realistically, is there any chance Wenger will leave Arsenal for Barca seeing as Tito is leaving?

Can't see it myself and it would be a problem for Arsenal if it did.

In all honesty no, the man is always loyal to his contracts.

In all honesty no, the man is always loyal to his contracts.

And you'd have to respect him for that to be fair.

And you'd have to respect him for that to be fair.

Most certainly especially in this day and age when loyalty if becoming a thing of the past. I also don't think he will leave now after sticking around throughout the whole stadium debts and keeping us in contention he will want to leave on a high. Someone just needs to give him a swift kick in the hole and remind him he doesn't need to penny pinch as much anymore.

Like here you can see the anger and frustrations starting to build amongst supporters on twitter god help the club if they havent signed anyone by window closing.

• Advertisement

Most certainly especially in this day and age when loyalty if becoming a thing of the past. I also don't think he will leave now after sticking around throughout the whole stadium debts and keeping us in contention he will want to leave on a high. Someone just needs to give him a swift kick in the hole and remind him he doesn't need to penny pinch as much anymore.

Like here you can see the anger and frustrations starting to build amongst supporters on twitter god help the club if they havent signed anyone by window closing.

Well said. Ahh for once I think he will invest. I'd be more concerned about him buying 2 or 3 good players than the 1 or 2 top players that are needed.

The squad is strong enough without bringing in more players of the same calibre. He needs to bring in at least one player who will automatically be recognised as one of the best players, if not the best player in the team before they kick a ball for the club.

Well said. Ahh for once I think he will invest. I'd be more concerned about him buying 2 or 3 good players than the 1 or 2 top players that are needed.

The squad is strong enough without bringing in more players of the same calibre. He needs to bring in at least one player who will automatically be recognised as one of the best players, if not the best player in the team before they kick a ball for the club.

Yeh that be my main fear, I've no doubt he will sign players especially after the amount he is shipping out, but I don't want any more squad fillers and good players we need some icing on the cake some real world class players who when other teams look at our team sheet they go "oh Fcuk" such and such is playing, a player who can make the difference in a match is what we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Does anyone here think that top players have a problem signing for us. Over the last 10 years infrastructure has been developed to the detriment of playing staff (players) and now we do not seem to be on the radar on top players.

Management became so engrossed with stadium debt that they have forgotten how to deal on the transfer market or maybe to deal with top players.

Its only youngsters who see the club as a stepping stone want to come to us.

It is like a business who have retrenched so much that they are afraid to move forward

last year we signed Frances top goalscorer, two Spanish senior internationals, and a very senior german international. We retained the services of a very marketable and desirable England international. We can still attract a very high standard of player.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    last year we signed Frances top goalscorer, two Spanish senior internationals, and a very senior german international. We retained the services of a very marketable and desirable England international. We can still attract a very high standard of player.

True but who had heard of Giroud cazorla and Monreal before we signed them?

Be honest.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement