Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

So that's Benteke off the market. Here are our dwindling options.

Rooney: Probably won't be sold. If he is, Chelsea are frontrunners.

Higuain: Real won't sell unless we pay £35m, which we won't. Increased fee likely related to Real needing funds for a Suarez bid. Apparently Chelsea's second choice.

Suarez: Liverpool looking for around £55m. We're still preparing a £40m bid, which will likely be rejected.

So as I see it, this could happen: Chelsea/Rooney, Higuain and Suarez stay. Or Chelsea/Rooney, Napoli/Higuain, Suarez/Real, or Chelsea/Higuain and Suarez/Real.

Basically, I'm not optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

True but who had heard of Giroud cazorla and Monreal before we signed them?

Be honest.

Cazorla was well known before Arsenal signed him.

Giroud, can't say I knew of him before 11-12 but top scoring in France was were he made his name.. Not signing for Arsenal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I knew Monreal purely through Fifa. Only ever saw him a handful of times.

Knew Giroud only in the months leading up to his transfer.

Knew Cazorla for lots of seasons now. Especially the ties where Arsenal played Villarreal in the Champions League and they always mentioned how Villarreal's star Cazorla was injured in all of them I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Be honest.

I knew cazorla. We were still operation at a lower level financially last year. I'll be very disappointed if we don't add some top class talent this season. I think we're all agreed on that, and 4 first team players have alluded to it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah heard of Cazorla for a good few years had never heard of Giroud or Monreal till we were linked with them intially :/ had always like Podolski for years though and was delighted when he came

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I respect your opinion, I wont agree with it though.

Ibra, at Bales age was a better player then him, the only thing Bale has an advantage of Ibra is in pace and EPL experience, which also counts for nothing when your 31 have played in WC's and Euro championships and UCL campaigns so EPL experience doesnt really matter when you've all that behind you.

Taking the EPL on its merit its a quick, direct league, suits Bale down to the ground, couple of reasons why I reckon Ibra would flourish in the EPL, his speed of thought and football brain is superior then all but a handful of footballers, his size and strength is unmatched in the EPL.

Also his goals and assists, did you watch much of PSG last year, nearly everything went through Ibra and he ahd more assists and goals then Bale.

Ibra 33 goals and 15 assists
    Bale 24 and 8 assists

But PSG play in the French league? Yes they do but thats largely avoiding the point, Ibra in the UCL managed 3 goals and 4 assists in contrast to Bale who got 3 goals and 3 assists in the EL.

Height and in the air ability, fairly close but Ibra is 6'5 which is about 3 inches bigger then Bale and hes incredibly difficult to get the ball off as he often takes the ball down and on his chest rather then flick on headers.

One day Bale might be mentioned in the same breath as Ibra but for now theres only one winner IMO and thats without going into his goal scoring record in his career, nearly 400 games and about 220 goals.

I'd take Ibra over Rooney or Higuain at Chelsea but it wont happen, hell if he was in the EPL I'd rejoice at it as hes technically one fo the most gifted players to ever play football.

I disagree.

First of all Ibra plays in a much weaker league then the EPL and in a team full of superstars who can bail him out and make him look great.

Bale carries Spurs. everything goes through him. he takes on defenders for fun and scores some amazing goals. His vision, runs and play is excellent and his strength on the ball is sensational.

Why are you comparing the europa league to the champions league? Different competitions. You could argue that some players dont get motivated enough to try there absolute best in the europa league as many label it as a mickey mouse cup like the carling cup.

In the EPL u have about 6+ teams fighting for top 4 spot where any of those 6 teams would do a decent job in the champions league as well and not no push overs.

League much harder, more competition, more physical and more high tempo.

You get next to no time on ball, you get kicked about etc etc and Bale has come on top of all of that whilst ibra hasnt.

Wasnt Girud Top scorer in the french league before he came to arsenal? Would you class Girud better then Bale too?

Why do u think he was top scorer? because the league there is weaker then the EPL. Look at girud now, if he was banging in goals left right and centre we would not need surez and co.

Girud is decent but as shown in the EPL its tuff and a challenge.

This is why Ibra is not better then Bale let alone RVP.

Ibra is overated and that is my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

He's won leagues in 6 countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Why are we still talking about Ibra :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Say what you want about Bale... But how can you think RVP is better than Ibra?

Most of RVP's career he was injured and has only ever broken 20 goals a season 4 times.

Compared to Ibra's 8 times.

Ibra is far from over rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I disagree.

First of all Ibra plays in a much weaker league then the EPL and in a team full of superstars who can bail him out and make him look great.
    Are the Italian and Spanish leagues much weaker than the EPL?
    Why are you comparing the europa league to the champions league? Different competitions. You could argue that some players dont get motivated enough to try there absolute best in the europa league as many label it as a mickey mouse cup like the carling cup.
    Bale played in the CL and didn't exactly light it up now did he?
    In the EPL u have about 6+ teams fighting for top 4 spot where any of those 6 teams would do a decent job in the champions league as well and not no push overs.

You get next to no time on ball, you get kicked about etc etc and Bale has come on top of all of that whilst ibra hasnt.
    So because he hasn't played in the EPL he can't be as good as Bale. In that case Heskey is a better striker than Messi.
    Wasnt Girud Top scorer in the french league before he came to arsenal? Would you class Girud better then Bale too?
    Not quiet, but Giroud wasn't top scorer in his debut season like Ibra is.
    Why do u think he was top scorer? because the league there is weaker then the EPL. Look at girud now, if he was banging in goals left right and centre we would not need surez and co.

More bullshít really stating that because Ibra ahsn't played in the EPl he can't be good. Stick to Sky Sports mate, and the Sun for your opinons because it's obvious you don't have a clue to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Still talking about ibra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Yeah heard of Cazorla for a good few years had never heard of Giroud or Monreal till we were linked with them intially :/ had always like Podolski for years though and was delighted when he came
    I love the fact nobody knew of Giroud, I was following his progress at Tours :D
    My new player to follow for ye Gunners is Coeff at Lens, he has something about him that screams Arsenal, but he has signed for Udinese so guess ye missed out

I desperately want Ibrahimovic to sign for Arsenal

One of my favourite ever players and I really hope he gets a crack at the Premiership for a year or two before he's in his twilight years, not that he needs to prove anything as he has established himself as the most complete CF around for the last several years.

I disagree.

Bale carries Spurs. everything goes through him. he takes on defenders for fun and scores some amazing goals. His vision, runs and play is excellent and his strength on the ball is sensational.

Sure he had Juventus, Napoli, Milan, Inter, Roma, Lazio, Fiorentina, Udinese in the Serie A?

Plus, by your logic, City didn't do that great of a job in the Champions League the last 2 years so I don't see why Liverpool or the likes would.

What Ibra has achieved is incredible and his ball control and technical ability for such a big man is wonderful.

You're entitled to your opinion but it's way, way off the mark imo.

Anywho, this thread has been derailed enough for one day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I desperately want Ibrahimovic to sign for Arsenal

One of my favourite ever players and I really hope he gets a crack at the Premiership for a year or two before he's in his twilight years, not that he needs to prove anything as he has established himself as the most complete CF around for the last several years.

Ffs talk about ANYTHING else :eek:

blingrhino wrote: »
    Ffs talk about ANYTHING else :eek:

I know, I know! Apologies :pac:

Enjoy these Daily Mail photos to take your mind off of the Big Swede :pac:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2370132/Arsenal-cool-Japan-post-training-ice-baths-ahead-friendly-Arsene-Wengers-old-club-Nagoya-Grampus.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

HazDanz wrote: »
    Signed Sanogo on a free. Didn't spend money for him though.

Technically, we did. He cost £500,000.

Be honest.

Quite a lot of people had. England =/= the whole world.
    So that's Benteke off the market. Here are our dwindling options.

Did anyone even want Benteke? :confused:

True. Even when you sign a player on Bosman, some compensation is paid to the club, past clubs, agent, sign on bonuses (if any) etc etc.

There is a very very very small minority it seems who feel that Ibra is over-rated.

This minority are disagreeing with all the French and Italian league footballers and journalists who have voted him player of the year. The several Uefa panels who have elected him to team of the year. The countless panels that elected him to team of year in domestic leagues. The large majority who feels he is amazing. And even games like Fifa and Soccer Manager who whilst only being games, do give a decent representation of "Most" players skills and Ibra has prominently featured as one of the best in their history.

• Advertisement

bad2dabone wrote: »
    He's won leagues in 6 countries.

In a team filled with superstars that walked the league and win it easily.

Hleb has won medals at barca too. Must be also better then Bale
    Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Say what you want about Bale... But how can you think RVP is better than Ibra?

Most of RVP's career he was injured and has only ever broken 20 goals a season 4 times.

Compared to Ibra's 8 times.

Ibra is far from over rated.

Whenever RVP came on he made a huge impact. There are a thousand reasosn why RVP is a MUCH better player then ibra. its too easy to tell you why so i used Bale as an example as Ibra and Bale are close imo but Bale is that bit better then Ibra
    Quazzie wrote: »
    Are the Italian and Spanish leagues much weaker than the EPL?

Bale played in the CL and didn't exactly light it up now did he?

So because he hasn't played in the EPL he can't be as good as Bale. In that case Heskey is a better striker than Messi.

Not quiet, but Giroud wasn't top scorer in his debut season like Ibra is.

More bullshít really stating that because Ibra ahsn't played in the EPl he can't be good. Stick to Sky Sports mate, and the Sun for your opinons because it's obvious you don't have a clue to be honest.

Bale did light up the UCL. he walked all over Real Madrids defence when spurs took them on.

You have shown what a childish person you are and rude by calling by insulting me and my opinions. a Typical child's response who cant just put his points across in a mature peaceful manner without insult.
    Sure he had Juventus, Napoli, Milan, Inter, Roma, Lazio, Fiorentina, Udinese in the Serie A?

Plus, by your logic, City didn't do that great of a job in the Champions League the last 2 years so I don't see why Liverpool or the likes would.

What Ibra has achieved is incredible and his ball control and technical ability for such a big man is wonderful.

You're entitled to your opinion but it's way, way off the mark imo.

Anywho, this thread has been derailed enough for one day!

How many semi's/finals have a english team been at that stage? How many times have english teams won the CL over the last 5 years?

Liverpool's won it recently, Spurs got quite far into the competition in there first go at it, Arsenal consistently always make the 2nd round or more, United and chelsea mostly always in the quarters or semi's etc etc. You named one club city who has done poor out of about 5 other teams who have all challenged for the title at one point.

O and remind me who was in Cities group last seasons CL? Dortmount and RM, both made it to the semi with one of them reaching the final. No shame in getting knocked out of the group stages when those two clubs are in your group.

Yup, EPL is all hype, English teams are crap in europe and the spanish, italian and especially the french league are superior then the english league making Ibra better then not only RVP and Bale but better then Messi perhaps?
    cathalio11 wrote: »
    There is a very very very small minority it seems who feel that Ibra is over-rated.

This minority are disagreeing with all the French and Italian league footballers and journalists who have voted him player of the year. The several Uefa panels who have elected him to team of the year. The countless panels that elected him to team of year in domestic leagues. The large majority who feels he is amazing. And even games like Fifa and Soccer Manager who whilst only being games, do give a decent representation of "Most" players skills and Ibra has prominently featured as one of the best in their history.

Has he won uefa player of the year yet or even come on the top 5?

Liverpool's won it recently

Almost ten years ago actually.

Since then:
    England: 2
    Germany: 1
    Spain: 3
    Italy: 2

Only France havent won it since. Germany are likely to add to their total in the near future meaning England will soon be 4th out of the big 5.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Did anyone even want Benteke? :confused:

He scored 8 more league goals than Giroud last season for a team that was nearly relegated. I would've backed a bid for him.

He scored 8 more league goals than Giroud last season for a team that was nearly relegated. I would've backed a bid for him.

For £20m?

He had one good season and put in a transfer request until he got more money. And people complain that Suarez might only stay for a few years?

To be honest i think he could go to complete sh*te this season. Shades of Adebayor about him. Id prefer to stump up more if/when he does prove himself as opposed to gambling on him now and possibly paying over the odds for what in all likelihood could turn out to be a one season wonder.

Almost ten years ago actually.

Since then:
    England: 2
    Germany: 1
    Spain: 3
    Italy: 2

Only France havent won it since. Germany are likely to add to their total in the near future meaning England will soon be 4th out of the big 5.

How many different italian/spanish/german teams have made it to the quarters?

Loads have from England. Only city have failed to reach anywhere decent. the rest have all made it into quarters, well most have made it to the finals at one point.

A leagues strength is not just absed on who wins the actual CL, but how well all other clubs do and england have done fantastic in the CL.

Spain have rm and barca, germany have dortmound and bayern, Italy have umm inter and AC whilst england have arsenal, chelsea, united all have consistantly made it quite far into the competition. once united and chelsea met in the final. United met barca twice in the final, a team that was destroying anything it sees, no shame in losing to barca of a few years ago.

• Advertisement

To be honest i think he could go to complete sh*te this season. Shades of Adebayor about him. Id prefer to stump up more if/when he does prove himself as opposed to gambling on him now and possibly paying over the odds for what in all likelihood could turn out to be a one season wonder.

I would've taken him as a third option behind Higuain and Suarez, in that order. I think we're going to pay through the nose for the latter two, unless either do us a favour and hand in a transfer request.

I'm not even bothered reading all that, I can just take refuge in the fact that Zlatan will end up with something stupid like 9 league titles in 11 years or whatever it was. I mean seriously, are people that blinded by the "PREMIER LEAGUE OMGZZZZZZZ" thing to start comparing Zlatan to Bale?

EDIT: I'm going to take a wild guess that people who are doing that comparison are the ones who think we should look for "value" :pac:

I'm kinda sorry I brought Ibrahimovic into the conversation now :pac:

This is going nowhere, jonneymendoza thinks RVP and Bale are better than Ibrahimovic and he's entitled to his opinion.

I think that he is so wrong it's not even funny and that Ibrahimovic has consistently been one of the best players in the world for almost a decade whereas RVP and Bale have only had 3/4 very good seasons between them.

I think it's best we move on and there's no more Ibra talk unless Arsenal make a move.

I think it's best we move on and there's no more Ibra talk unless Arsenal make a move.
    I'd still take Zlatan over Bale. :pac:

Awh, without a doubt ;) :pac:

• Advertisement

I'd take Zlatan over most tbh.

I'd take Zlatan over most tbh.

I realise someone *ahem* tried to put a pin in it earlier but after Messi and Ronaldo it's Zlatan. I just find it incredible that anyone could disagree.

I realise someone *ahem* tried to put a pin in it earlier but after Messi and Ronaldo it's Zlatan. I just find it incredible that anyone could disagree.

Couldn't agree more.. I don't even think there's a question about it and if the British media didn't have such a vendetta against him, he'd be held in the same regard as the top 2 in England and Ireland.

For me, he's 3rd by some distance as well and there's so much he has done that will never be repeated again.

Hopefully he plays well into his 30's but knowing him, he'll call it a day as soon as he feels he can't perform at a world class level so he'll probably pack it in in 3/4 years.

Couldn't agree more.. I don't even think there's a question about it and if the British media didn't have such a vendetta against him, he'd be held in the same regard as the top 2 in England and Ireland.

For me, he's 3rd by some distance as well and there's so much he has done that will never be repeated again.

Hopefully he plays well into his 30's but knowing him, he'll call it a day as soon as he feels he can't perform at a world class level so he'll probably pack it in in 3/4 years.
    It's off-topic but I do hope he gets recognition at some point because he's just something else.

Id take Bale over ibran. bale is younger, better and proven in this league

Round two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Id take Bale over ibran. bale is younger, better and proven in this league

You're right about him being younger anyway.

And you're right about him being proven in this league, though the merit of this is suspect and it's all a bit sky sports.

The idea that he's better though is really really silly. I get that it's your opinion and you're entitled to it but so are the people that would happily go for McDonalds over a four course Michelien star meal - doesn't mean their opinion is right.

With genius inputs like this running for two days, is it any wonder this thread is such a car crash when it comes to transfer time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

May I suggest a separate Ibra thread, I can't be the only one tired of this. Back on topic, Luis Gustavo is the latest player linked. Not exactly the spectacular signing we're looking for but would be a solid addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Well mourinho said that Chelsea aren't in for higuain anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

May I suggest a separate Ibra thread, I can't be the only one tired of this. Back on topic, Luis Gustavo is the latest player linked. Not exactly the spectacular signing we're looking for but would be a solid addition.

Gustavo is a serious player, very under-rated I think. Might not grab the headlines, but would add serious quality to that Arsenal midfield I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I remember back to when I was about 7 years old standing outside shop windows just before Christmas looking at all the toys inside and saying "I'd love that and that and that ....."

A bit like this thread now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

If we are after Gustavo I would be over the moon, he is the closest thing to Gilberto Silva playing today, exactly the type of player we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Bernard is the latest now is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Not even a mention of Zlatan's hair! The greatest piece since Ginola. Think the argument is now ever because of this point.

Zlatan's Hair > Bale > RVP

gosplan wrote: »
    You're right about him being younger anyway.

And you're right about him being proven in this league, though the merit of this is suspect and it's all a bit sky sports.

The idea that he's better though is really really silly. I get that it's your opinion and you're entitled to it but so are the people that would happily go for McDonalds over a four course Michelien star meal - doesn't mean their opinion is right.

With genius inputs like this running for two days, is it any wonder this thread is such a car crash when it comes to transfer time.

Well you cant expect me not to respond? you are also entitled to your opinions. ahve told you reasons why bale is better, you ave told me reasons why ibra is better.

Thats the end of it. :)

*Fingers crossed for Wenger to admit interest in Ibra

Followed by the explosion of boards.ie's Arsenal thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Ibrahimović is turning 32 years old in October, a man reaches his physical peak at 28. Anyone who thinks Ibrahimović is a better investment than Bale is a moron. At least Bale his most of his career ahead of him, whereas, Ibrahimović will be calling it quits in a few years from now, seeing as attacking players don't last as long as defensive players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Ibrahimović is turning 32 years old in October, a man reaches his physical peak at 28. Anyone who thinks Ibrahimović is a better investment than Bale is a moron. At least Bale his most of his career ahead of him, whereas, Ibrahimović will be calling it quits in a few years from now, seeing as attacking players don't last as long as defensive players.

That is in no way a given for every single player. Messi and Rooney for a example, do not necessarily have their best years ahead of them.

Plus Ibrahimovic's style of football could allow him to play at the very top well into his latter years, although I suspect he'll retire as soon as he starts to decline in around 3/4 years.

And the argument, without trying to bring it up AGAIN, was who was a better player, not who was a better investment!

And for the record, I also think that Ibrahimovic would be a better investment for Arsenal then Bale at the minute as, despite his higher wages, Ibrahimovic would cost less than a third of what Bale would cost plus he would be a good short term solution to bring in a winning mentality to a relatively inexperienced team.

• Advertisement

Arsenal don't seem to have been linked with Keisuke Honda or Christian Eriksen at all which I find a bit odd?

I suppose they're not what is needed but they would have to be considered great value purchases.

M'Vila would be a very good signing despite the lack of speculation in recent times

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement